PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 31 January 2018

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I don't get everyone's reaction. We lost and had a bad day, it doesn't undo all the good we've had this season. Today was just one of those days...

Concede 1st minute with a shambolic goal which puts us on back foot....Then as were finding our feet in the game concede another shambolic goal.

Performance all stemmed from there. 2-0 was a let off because they could have crushed us.

But I don't think we'd have seen that game or performance had we not started so badly. Either way we have been largely let off by Chelsea result.

So we dust off and go again Saturday, hopefully that bad performance will fire them up to work a lot harder in the next game.

This is still a work in progress and largely we have moved in the right direction. Bad results happen (even when we were a great team) so take it on the chin and move on.
*applauds*

Red Viking

This is an appalling performance all around starting from the defence to the attack but more importantly the attitude was absolutely shit from the start to the finish. There can be no excuse from the team or manager for this after being humiliated like we did. We have no team spirit or cohesion on the pitch as yet again our team plays like they just meet as our defensive transition and attack transition was that of a very poor side. The players needs a major bollocking from everyone as what they showed today was far from acceptable from a Manchester United team.

They need to be held accountable for showing up and putting in such a performance. I think they need it to avoid them ever performing like this again as you can lose but losing like today was pathetic to watch as they could not even do the basic you´d expect from a Premier League team.

spiriticon

I'm still sick to the stomach from that performance.

When will we ever grow a pair again?

Once we go one down I've almost accepted defeat these days. That kind of mentality is poisonous.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Most annoyed I've been with Mourinho this season. Completely wrong set up from the get go.

No Shaw which meant Young never provided a single overlap.

Herrera should have had his man marking job from Chelsea last season and picked up Eriksen.

Sanchez and Martial on the complete wrong sides.

It's as though he has bowed to the pressure of being more attacking in big games on possibly the worst game to do so.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Just got back to my hotel room. We were awful.

Pogba cannot play as a defensive midfielder, he doesn't have the discipline. Jones and smalling just weren't at the races. You could predict exactly what Ashley young was going to do about 2 years before he tried it...and failed. Here is an idea, why not try playing a left full/wing back who knows how to get to the byline and use his left fecking foot?

If we insist on playing Lukaku then can we please, for the live of fecking god get a quick player to play off him and race in behind? Rashford? Sanchez? Common sense?

Was martial there tonight? I only ask because he was about as useful as a deaf, blind and mute tour guide.

Dreadful night, dreadful performance, zero positives.

hn4manunited

Our worst performance I’ve seen in a while.

Right from the get go you can tell our Jones and Smalling were nervous. Pogba was way too casual and didn’t command the midfield. Matic had a poor game to get things under control. Those four right there just restricted our midfield flow.

Tottenham players played us tough and it seems to have caught our players by surprised. They were on our players and kicking out at our players as soon as we gain possession. Sanchez was especially targeted to not have a good game and not have any time on the ball. The players instead of showing how they were getting hacked down or fight back, just allowed them to disrupt our ability to hold the ball.

Martial was missing and dribbled into trouble way too many times. Lingard was almost non existent today. Lukaku simply didn’t have the service.

All around bad game. To be honest, i’m not surprised with being out of synch when adding a new player to a team but we simply weren’t allowed to play but didn’t fight through it. Folded too easily.

goin4glory

We need to think about bringing in another box to box midfielder to play with Pogba in a 4-3-3. He's been too poor in the big games playing in a 2.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Right, that was really bad performance, even painful to watch in the second half. The fact that we practically gave up hurt the most, not only did we didn't manage to create a chance after first 45 minutes (bar Lukaku one) we lost every 50/50 challenge and let them bully us on the field.

It's not just the system, we were threatening until they scored a second and then totally fell apart. After such team performance, no point to criticise the individuals, it wasn't good all around. Need to move on from this as quickly and get back to winning. This team is capable of much better.

Carl S Bridge

I think today highlighted a few things in the man united squad. To be honest I thought spurs were so lucky with both of their goals. I'm not saying we didn't deserve to lose, we definitely deserved what we got. However just breathe guys and think and analyze.

99/100 that first goal doesn't go in, a combination of kane in ab offside position when it's kicked off so shouldn't have stood but for example that ball is few inches either way blah blah Jones clears, or kane heads into defenders path. It was very fortuitous hence 3rd quickest premier league goal ever. Second goal is a nothing cross and our best defender all season is far to casual and attacks it with the wrong foot and puts us two nil down.

In the first half I thought we played fairly well and even created the better chances, barring spurs lucky breaks how many times in first half did they create clear chances? Poor finishing and poor final balls cost us.

I thought pogba has his worst ever game for us. Swapping martial to right was a horrendous decision.

Second half however we were despicable. So poor didn't look interested. Man Utd always used to rescue games and come from behind. First half I thought we could second half I gave up watching mostly cause so did the team. Was poor second half as I thought under pressure spurs were their for taking

m1tch

Awful team selection, hopefully Jose learns from his mistakes tonight.
The players were awful too though, are they all pissed off about Sanchez's wages or something?

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Today’s loss was simply due to Mourinho’s selection, he takes full responsibility for that shitty performance as our players couldnt understand each other, the way they were playing was as if its their first time playing altogether.

Couldnt care less about the result as Chelsea lost so we are still good for now, lets get on with the next game and play better.

crossy1686

career ending
Their nervousness is infectious. De Gea looked shaky with those two helmets in front of him and it just spread throughout the team.

When we concede a very early goal we never seem to recover. This game reminded me of Chelsea away last season when we conceded in the first 30 seconds. We just go to pieces and it shows a big lack of confidence. Smalling and Jones shouldn’t happen again. Sooner see Blind or Carrick at the back.
I'd rather watch Lindelöf at least try. Smalling just looks like he's given up.

Tincanalley

Most annoyed I've been with Mourinho this season. Completely wrong set up from the get go.

No Shaw which meant Young never provided a single overlap.

Herrera should have had his man marking job from Chelsea last season and picked up Eriksen.

Sanchez and Martial on the complete wrong sides.

It's as though he has bowed to the pressure of being more attacking in big games on possibly the worst game to do so.
Yes, sir. If there was a click for approval, I would be clicking. No doubt if he had been more defensive, he would have got lots of criticism in here. Say a nil all, it would have been meltdown. Ironically, its almost more tolerant of him going for it, albeit cack-handedly, and losing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It seemed like United went out to just stroll through the game and hope Tottenham joined them in that, with maybe the odd decent attack here and there. This team and specially the defence often shit it and look clueless when a team comes at them properly. A lot of it is on Jose too though. I could've told you Spurs will want to come at us. They play some very good football when on form. We looked unprepared.

edgar allan

Yes, sir. If there was a click for approval, I would be clicking. No doubt if he had been more defensive, he would have got lots of criticism in here. Say a nil all, it would have been meltdown. Ironically, its almost more tolerant of him going for it, albeit cack-handedly, and losing.
Do you honestly think he changes his formation based on the expectation of fans and media??

We have scored 1 goal in the last 8 away games against our big 4 competition. Attack or park the bus he can't get either to bring success.

edgar allan

Awful team selection, hopefully Jose learns from his mistakes tonight.
The players were awful too though, are they all pissed off about Sanchez's wages or something?
We have had plenty of similar long before Sanchez arrived.

Giggs86

We ain't winning shit with goofs like Jones in the team. Absolute garbage all around. Pogba had a nightmare too.

CallyRed

Was at the game, disappointing to say the least. Thought we responded well to going behind initially but the second half was a load of shit.

Oh, and Wembley is probably the worse ground to get to in London.

cantona7676

Total shambles tonight, Matic and Pogba were the wost I have seen them, we have to play a 3 man midfield with Pogba on the left Matic as the holding midfielder and for now Herrera on the right.

Shaw has just got his fitness back and started to play well so why the feck is Young back at leftback.

Substitution's were stupid, we were getting over run in midfield they were too quick for us and out numbered us so why bring on 2 of the slowest players we have, made no sense to me.

We have got to play 4-3-3 it just makes sense

Tincanalley

Do you honestly think he changes his formation based on the expectation of fans and media??

We have scored 1 goal in the last 8 away games against our big 4 competition. Attack or park the bus he can't get either to bring success.
I think Jose has adapted and changed his behaviour, his tactics, his tone greatly since he came to the club. He wanted this appointment badly. I am sure there are various pressures from inside the club, from ex-players and managers, from the owners, the CEO, to entertain, to be successful, to project a particular image. In that way, the manager will feel the wishes and needs of the fans, indirectly. He will also know it from simply being at matches. He is a stubborn, confident man. But he is probably not entirely immune, either. Consider the pasting he would get in the press and from fans, and maybe from upstairs if he was perceived to park the bus tonight, the night of Sanchez's debut?

Tapori

To be fair we fought well after the early goal and should have scored; then Tottenham simply strangled us deep into that first half.

The 2nd half was a tragic comedy of errors and a humiliation.

Lukaku. oh Lukaku Lukaku Lukaku Lukaku.
I don't want him to be a space-goat but deary deary deary me;what an abject performance from the lad.

Once he saw things weren't gonna go his way and apart from one fierce shot, his fight to battle for every ball just waned 2/3rds of the way into that match. Poor, forlorn and ultimately an entire world away from Mr. Kane his opposite.

Martial: flashes of brilliance but should have looked up to find Sanchez for that chance.
Shaw should have started to put some fear into Tottenham on that left hand side. Poor game from Young, just stopped for a split second and Erikssen punished him.
Alexis was literally one of the few who actually battled hard along with Valencia
Lingard should have stayed on but tactics should have been different.

I won't have anyone have a prolonged go at Jones; on a yellow he ultimately played well but that midfield in front of him...
Matic and Pogba can play a 2 midfield but not against top teams most of the time. Jose should have seen it wasn't working and plugged that midfield early.

If we were being that bullied, should have brought on Carrick or Herrera earlier for Lingard and let Pogba move up.
Fellaini's injury was unfortunate.
Pogba being subbed is intriguing. Poor game but Jose should have hooked Lukaku instead.

Embarrassing. Players must learn sharpish.

Tosicsleftpeg

The issue tonight was trying to shoe horn everyone into the side who had been playing well recently and trying to keep Herrera out of the midfield as he's been terrible and it's clear Jose doesn't trust him at all.

I'm afraid someone is going to miss out on games like today we simply cannot play pogba as a defensive midfielder it's crazy. He will track back a bit but he's a ball player and cannot be used as a work horse. Young was terrible as well and Shaw simply must play ahead of him, young is a great backup but he hasn't got that ability to fly past people anymore and so simply cuts into his right every time and puts in a poor ball.

I'm not going crazy as we've been on a good run but the manner of the performance was quite embarrassing really to go down without a fight.

Tapori

Total shambles tonight, Matic and Pogba were the wost I have seen them, we have to play a 3 man midfield with Pogba on the left Matic as the holding midfielder and for now Herrera on the right.

Shaw has just got his fitness back and started to play well so why the feck is Young back at leftback.

Substitution's were stupid, we were getting over run in midfield they were too quick for us and out numbered us so why bring on 2 of the slowest players we have, made no sense to me.

We have got to play 4-3-3 it just makes sense
Jose has so many options both pre-match and in-game. He made the wrong calls tonight. Agree with you. 4-3-3 in these top games with Pogba top of a solid 3.

Reiver

I'm always worried when our defence is a combo of Jones and Smalling. Any team doing their homework will play a high press against them, they just can't cope.
Think Mourinho is still trying to make a point about the left back position - I like Young, but he has to start playing Shaw in bigger games.
We'll never see the best of Pog in a two man midfield. Problem is, if we played 3 there more often, you start to realise there's a real lack of depth.
Can't believe the extent that Spurs bullied us tonight. It was very disappointing.
I dont expect to win every match but I do expect the team to show more backbone and spirit. I don't think this Spurs side are that special, Kane aside, and to come away relieved at only conceding 2 is poor.

Scholsey2004

Why would you move martial to the right to accommodate sanchez when Sanchez can play across the attack? Two games now he's played Sanchez there now so he obviously sees him there. Weird.

Giggs86

This is a fecking new low. Losing to Tottenham. Tottenham.

No fight, no spirit, no game plan. Disgusting. We were the Tottenham today.

Twisted Nerve

I cant remember the last time i sat there for 90 minutes shaking my head as much as i did with this game.
Worst performance of the season for me.

Tony Babangida

I don't get everyone's reaction. We lost and had a bad day, it doesn't undo all the good we've had this season. Today was just one of those days...

Concede 1st minute with a shambolic goal which puts us on back foot....Then as were finding our feet in the game concede another shambolic goal.

Performance all stemmed from there. 2-0 was a let off because they could have crushed us.

But I don't think we'd have seen that game or performance had we not started so badly. Either way we have been largely let off by Chelsea result.

So we dust off and go again Saturday, hopefully that bad performance will fire them up to work a lot harder in the next game.

This is still a work in progress and largely we have moved in the right direction. Bad results happen (even when we were a great team) so take it on the chin and move on.
I think some reactions are OTT but people are rightly frustrated that we have been by and large terrible in the big games. Player for player we are probably slightly better than spurs, but they made us look inept. It's frustrating that we've been outplayed too often in recent memory.

I agree that we are work in progress, but Mourinho needs to come up with some new ideas as to how to play the top sides away from home. We'll need better game plans if we want to do anything in Europe this season.

I think we will smash Huddersfield 4-0 next game though.

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 503 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Tottenham 0:2 Man Utd