PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 31 January 2018

Denis79

We got what we wanted... We set up to "go for it" and just had the worst game of the season with our strongest 11 bar Bailly. Not going to lie I was excited when I saw our line-up but then again I know nothing of tactics.

I'm a fan of Mourinho but it looked like we weren't prepared for this one.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'm getting worried about Sanchez already. He just looks too good for this team. In both games now I've seen him signalling to his team-mates where to be on the pitch and urging them forward. He's always been used to direct attacking play, even at Arsenal. I just hope he doesn't get frustrated. We just need a killer performance.

Can we just have ONE killer performance please??
Early days, but the only one on his wavelength at the minute is Lingard, and as we all know he shouldn't be in the team.

#TeamLingard

MDFC Manager

I dont understand how we could be so unprepared, it's not like Spurs have suddenly changed their playstyle. They have been playing like this for the last two seasons. Their forwards get up and press/harry anyone dawdling on the ball or on a fast turnover. They have a really physical midfield without a lot of ball playing skill in Wanyama, Dier, Dembele, the most physical midfield in the league? And their CB's have good skill with the ball at their feet, was a couple times Sanchez or Vertonghen dribbled out of a press. Their wing backs usually play one up one back, usually Trippier on the right but if he drops back Davies will push up.

Felt like we got played off the park despite knowing exactly how Spurs were going to play.
It's the genius of Mourinho. We've missed a huge trick by not giving him a longer contract extension.

RedCurry

I am just so frustrated after this one. Of course I want to blame every player and the manager but when you concede a goal after 10 seconds against quality opposition, you’re always chasing the game. We never really got into it after that.

NK86

It's the genius of Mourinho. We've missed a huge trick by not giving him a longer contract extension.
It's his pandering to the likes of Pogba and Lukaku. You can bet your house SAF would have torn Pogba a new one after that performance. But I am glad he got hooked even though it wasn't a good decision for this match. Going forward it may be useful as he won't consider himself undroppable or beyond reproach.

ThatAsianChap

1. The utter disregard to strengthening the full back positions just became more evident. Young has been an amazing servant but it is an absolute farce Shaw does not get a look-in the important games.

2. Smalling and Jones seem to be flat track bullies at best. At least one of them gets found out in the big games

3. I guess the mid-field and Pogba conundrums have been discussed at length but the onus should also be on the players to improvise when the going gets tough. It was arguably his worst game in a United shirt - simply could not retain the ball, made poor passes all game and seemed clueless positionally too

4.1 How monstrously bad does a scoreline and a performance have to be , in order for the gaffer to realize that his defensive tactics are not going to cut it in the big games. We were out played by a mile against a similar opposition in City and yet he decides to resort to this utter drivel time and time again

4.2. Pogba Lukaku Martial Rashford and bloody Alexis Sanchez. Players of such caliber deserve a better tactics , which Jose can imbibe...yet....:mad:

OK777

Started the game half asleep, letting the ball bounce like that in the opening 10 seconds is the clearest example of amateur defending.

I thought we had a decent spell straight after that, lingard had a good chance, lukaku somewhat had a chance but coughed it up easily, that was our chance to get back into it. Once that was gone we never really looked any chance.

At 2-0, i flashed back to a game at OT when we were down 2-0 to Spurs at half-time, ended up winning 5-2 with 3 goals in 10 or 15 mins after half time.

Back then, we had this attribute where we came out a completely different team in the second half, or we would just find ways to get back into the game and get the results. There was no sense of that whatsoever. I get that its an away game, but its at Wembley, not WHL.

Times have changed :confused:

Ashley R1+O

Apart from the two chuffy goals this can easily be seen as a glass half full and glass half empty type of performance. Spurs however are just a much tighter and more driven to thrive unit. We've still got a mish mash of problems all over our roster. I don't think it will take a genius to work out that a team of underpaid overperfoming players outhustle an assembled squad of arguably overpaid bordering on mercenary-type players. That is just how it is, if we aren't good enough, we aren't good enough. So I am not all that upset, we are still second.

However, going forward we still have so many "stack of marble" problems in our team! The Pogba conundrum, our attacking players being squeezed into the final third, strikers playing as wingers, wingers playing as fullbacks, the CB's! The tactics! Arghhhhhh, a swirling vortex of shite that Jose has to sort out and it will take time.

T A

All in for Chanpions League

Last edited:

greggsy

Game was ruined after 13 seconds. No use in blaming the tactics when we concede that fecking early. Lots of posters blaming this result at Mourihno for playing Pogba in a midfield two, but our tactics went out the window when we conceded that fecking early, and it's not his fault that the players were having a meltdown in defence.

Thought we were going to get back in the game up until 2-0, but spurs were always looking dangerous at the counter. What I will blame Mourihno for is subbing off Lingard in stead of Martial who was awefull yesterday. Seemed to not read the game properly, and reacted slow, waiting on passes seeing where they headed before making his run.

We'll bounce back saturday.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Game was ruined after 13 seconds. No use in blaming the tactics when we concede that fecking early. Lots of posters blaming this result at Mourihno for playing Pogba in a midfield two, but our tactics went out the window when we conceded that fecking early, and it's not his fault that the players were having a meltdown in defence.

Thought we were going to get back in the game up until 2-0, but spurs were always looking dangerous at the counter. What I will blame Mourihno for is subbing off Lingard in stead of Martial who was awefull yesterday. Seemed to not read the game properly, and reacted slow, waiting on passes seeing where they headed before making his run.

We'll bounce back saturday.
You can't say it's not his fault when the same shit happens every time. 1 win in his last 12 away games to big teams, just 4 goals scored.... his approach to them is all wrong.

Strachans Cigar

Remember this is a Spurs team that finished a comfortable 2nd last time out.

We were a long way back in 6th.

Even with some changes in personnel, looks like we haven’t quite managed to bridge the gap yet. Simple as that.

Spurs are clearly still a better team, especially when they are up for it, and with them not wanting to drop out of top 4 contention, they were definitely up for it last night.

SwSw

How about we actually start playing with a midfield three for away games and against better teams?

I know the temptation to play Lingard, Martial, Sanchez behind Lukaku but that doesn't work because Pogba isn't suited to sit. Furthermore, why do we need to play Lingard, Martial, and Sanchez at the same time? isn't it congested enough in the middle, since neither are natural wingers?

How about we play, for example, Marital, Lukaku, Sanchez with a supporting midfield three? Pogba can shuttle forward and down to support them and the width can be provided by the fullbacks, if needed. Doing so alleviates the non-existent midfield that's on show every time we lose possession and it doesn't stretch Matic that often.

greggsy

You can't say it's not his fault when the same shit happens every time. 1 win in his last 12 away games to big teams, just 4 goals scored.... his approach to them is all wrong.
When I saw the line-up my first thought was that we were going to see a different approach this time. We also had more than enough chances to score, I'm not disagreeing on the fact that we have been abysmal in the big games, I'm just stating that this game went tits up after 13 seconds, and that is on the players.

ThatAsianChap

The sad part is Mourinho's teams have scored heavily and do 'know' how to play attacking football.

With the kind of players we have and the resources spent, it is irritating why he is so stubborn in his tactics and choice of personnel

TRD

Few questions for Jose and everyone else:

1.) When will we learn to put a good ball in the box?

2.) Why we cannot play against a team that presses a lot?

3.) Why cannot we press oppositions like they do to us?

4.) When will we learn to finish our chances?

5.) Why are we so much dependent on Pogba?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Getting fed up with Mourinho's anti football and poor tactics.

We also need more than 2 players this summer.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's a performance that starts with a ridiculous goal. That goal after a few seconds has a big influence in the game because Tottenham can play the way they like to play.

Translation: I came to park the bus and what else am I supposed to do when they get that early goal?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's a performance that starts with a ridiculous goal. That goal after a few seconds has a big influence in the game because Tottenham can play the way they like to play.

Translation: I came to park the bus and what else am I supposed to do when they get that early goal?
Yeah playing 4 attacking players and a 2 man midfield with Pogba means parking the bus :lol:

I know you are wumming but at least do it better. Don't post such crap.

olstar

Showing my age maybe, but I remember when £90m midfielders gave two shits.
Aye-and we could have equally have had three midfielders for less money giving at least three! Fed up with overpaid showponies.

eat_grass

Tough break on both goals. The first one is unforgivable considering the team watched video of how Tottenham start games with that same pattern of quick attack, and let them cash in anyway. The second goal happens to every team at least once throughout a season, so there's no evidence that it's fully preventable.

Good team reaction after the first goal, but the team looked disheartened after the second. Kind of like a balloon being popped: Untied came into the match full of confidence (probably from seeing how good they were in practice with Sanchez in the squad), then got hit with a double-dose of adversity and lost every ounce of belief. Frustrating.

fergieisold

Another one who didn't watch the game properly.

redflash

I think some reactions are OTT but people are rightly frustrated that we have been by and large terrible in the big games. Player for player we are probably slightly better than spurs, but they made us look inept. It's frustrating that we've been outplayed too often in recent memory.

I agree that we are work in progress, but Mourinho needs to come up with some new ideas as to how to play the top sides away from home. We'll need better game plans if we want to do anything in Europe this season.

I think we will smash Huddersfield 4-0 next game though.
Yesterday had nothing to do with game plan it was bad execution. Mistakes and abject performances from the team cost us yesterday.

The only player who came close to doing the job asked of him was De gea.

Everyone else was poor but we know they are not a poor group of players. They'e been very good the rest of the month and indeed most of the season.

Take away the two comedy goals and the games finished 0-0 with both sides having chances to score. Yes on balance of play spurs were better but imo that was directly linked to the start we had and the affect on our players.

I hope you're right about Saturday. 4-0 would be nice

Zlatattack

Well for half a million a week Sanchez should be playing where ever Mourinho wants him to play, not only that he should be cooking food for the players, wash kits and cut the grass at Old Trafford.
Thanks for the good example. Sanchez plays effectively for Chile and Arsenal on the left, right and up front as a striker. Why can Pogba supposedly only play in 1 position?

ti vu

We got what we wanted... We set up to "go for it" and just had the worst game of the season with our strongest 11 bar Bailly. Not going to lie I was excited when I saw our line-up but then again I know nothing of tactics.

I'm a fan of Mourinho but it looked like we weren't prepared for this one.
We were not prepared to be down 1 goal in 10s. I doubt any coach would use Smalling in a game they need to come from behind. In a drawn out blow for blow match, bar another brain farce from Jones, even with bad performance all round, Tottenham couldn't deal more damage to us. On another day, thing can be very different as Tottenham also has similar problem to us when trailing opposition.

Mullet_Man

The luck of a coin toss I guess, if we kick off do we concede straight away? Probably not.

Might have ground out a win/draw that goal so early gave them a massive lift. Simple as that. Just a shit day at the office!

edgar allan

The luck of a coin toss I guess, if we kick off do we concede straight away? Probably not.

Might have ground out a win/draw that goal so early gave them a massive lift. Simple as that. Just a shit day at the office!
Damn you coin toss.

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 503 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd