PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 31 January 2018

Yagami

Good post resistant
Enough of excuses

You can spend all the money you want and buy any players you want.

If you're not coached well as a team, we ain't going far in a long time.
Completely agree.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
A 2 man midfield (were Pogba is 1 of the 2) just can't work in big games away from home. It's foolishness.

Matic and Herrera/Fellaini behind Pogba stands a better chance. NOt saying it would have won, but we gave Spurs the freedom of the middle of the pitch. We had no midfield presence whilst they flooded it.

Normally, Jose is a reactive manager, and he matches what he's up against, but for some reason, in particular big games, he hasn't done so. It's bizarre.

MonkeysMagic

It’s one of those 90 min embarrassing performances when one team looks like it has never kicked a football! The lack of fight and desire was probably the most alarming aspect of this game, this does not bode well.

Anderley

Wow. This goes down as one of the worst United performances i have ever witnessed. We couldn't string 3 passes together in a row. :annoyed:
Absolutely zero desire to do anything as well.

stepic

worst performance I've watched in a long, long time.

playing a 2 man midfield away to Spurs was never a good idea. i don't understand how a manager earning millions per season can't see this? and why is Young still ahead of an actual defender in Shaw?

team just didn't put up any fight at all. was almost strange. pathetic all round, manager and players together.

leontas

Such a bad tactical setup from Jose. We were short a man in midfield from the beginning. The sooner we switch to a 4-3-3 the better.

Jacko21

Three years of going to Tottenham, getting battered and listening to their fans chant 'ole' and 'you're f**king sh*t'.

Fun.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
We were bad.

A loss against Spurs is not the end of the world in 2018. But the commitment from our players, or lack of it really stuck out.

From front to back there was no responsibility, leadership, cohesion or drive.

I do think Jose has missed a trick with the Arsenal away game and how to use Pogba, Lingard and Martial effectively. But some of the individual performances were so bad, that I’m not entirely convinced I could place that on the formation.

Devil may care

We had the chance to put Spurs in the rearview and with the Chelsea result put a 6 point gap between us and them, instead we produce the worst performance of the season.

Mourinho's selection and tactics were utterly inept, as were his subs and the players looked like a bunch of strangers running around like headless chickens.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Poor from the manager, poor from the players. Jose shouldn't even give a post match interview. There's nothing he can say to explain the bad decisions he made, or the bad performances that resulted from it.

ravi2

The tactics were alarmingly wrong from kick off. Playing Pogba in a midfield two, honestly we were lucky it wasn't a total hammering.
If Tottenham were more clinical they could have scored 3 or 4 today, their pressing was impressive but they way we were set up played right to their strengths

Luke1995

This was actually worse than the Olympiakos Away match in 2014.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Can accept us having an off day. Can accept being out tacticed and out played. But i will never accept us showing less fight and desire than the opposition. Wake up call for everyone at the club. We need a leader in midfield this summer and possibly even two.

Safa Boy

Spineless fecks! Everyone was shite, but our "defenders" exceedingly so. I can't wait for the day when we finally sell Smalling and Jones.

Kapardin

Biggest problem is our striker. Peak Zlatan would have risen above the shite and scored today, opening up the game. Lukaku is not a victim here, but one of the main culprits.

A striker who scores even when the team plays badly is what we need.

Our forwards lose it if we go 2-0 down. This mentality needs to change.

Jones and Smalling can do one.

At the end of the day, we are lucky to be 2nd. And since Liverpool play Spurs next, we can hope they draw while we better beat Huddersfield and regain lost ground. If we do this, then today's loss is not a major disaster in the grand scheme of things.

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
Dreadful performance. Started tactically very naive, the line-up was ok, but the set-up was far too adventurous. Then after the second goal the confidence level was very low, while the Spurs were flying high and having a really good performance.

Matic, Young, Jones and Pogba easily with their worst performance this season.

Anyway, even though the performance was that poor, the defeat is not really a drama. You are still in second place and lost today against a very good team that have also completely outplayed Real Madrid this season.

AngliaRed

Horrendous all over the pitch.

Sanchez worked his ass off for 90mins other than that there’s nothing to discuss. We was outplayed by a fitter, hungrier, faster and more classier spurs team.

Just a shame they can only get record attendances when we turn up....

ClosetDevil

To be honest we looked good with Lindgard on. We were just outplayed and outclassed today.

Better team won. I'm sure Mourinho will give the players an earful today. This performance is completely on them. Having said that, it's clear that our midfield and defence are really soft. I've actually been amazed we've had the defensive record we've had all season...we have a very shaky defence.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Bad day at the office. Spurs were much more fired up for it. Granted they are at home and got a generous first goal. Looked like our guys had lead in their boots given we were second to everything.

I kind of expected it though. I had said a draw would have been a good result. Spurs are a good team. think we should have played a 4-3-3 and just played for the draw, given that Chelsea lost.

We move on though. One thing i would worry about is Pogba in these big games. He was struggling out there.

Eddy_JukeZ

Atrocious display.

Hopefully we get back on track.

Nothing to say really.

Westerkerk

An utter mess of a performance. Everyone gets a zero out of ten because collectively, as a team, we were beyond shocking. We were beaten and half time and came out for the second looking like it. 100% one of the worst games, performance wise, I've witnessed in years.

fergies coat

At least in the first half we had a bit of fight. They looked like they couldn’t be arsed in the second half. It seemed to me they didn’t believe they could get back into the game so just gave up. I’m fuming I took the night off work for this. I wish I went in now, instead I’m gonna be in a bad mood all night now.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
How to beat United: Press and chase the ball down.

Not a single player in our team can handle being pressed. Pogba being the perfect example of a player who can only play when he has huge amounts of time and space.

minoo-utd

Only positive is it didn't turn into a cricket score!

We let them just walk through us and gifted them the ball every time we had it.

Worst performance of the season and will be hard to find a worse performance since Jose arrived!
This exactly. It was pretty easy that they have scored 4 or 5.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Shite players, shite tactics, no grit, no determination, feckin nothing, not even a clue about how to pass the ball right, tons of stupidity and letargy, Pogba AWOL, shite game, shite result, move on.

Also: fair play to Tottenham. They kicked united's face from the beginning and deserved to win.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Thank God Chelsea lost.

When you go away playing a good team, 3 men in midfield please. Also, imho a lot of our problems is because of the midfield. Matic can't play every game and we need another midfielder this summer. A talented mean bastard to be precise.

Anyway, we need to win the next game and get back on track.

borrays

Before the bashing session commence just admit how many of you want to see pogba, sanchez & martial together in 4231? ;)

He got the starting formation wrong. Our midfield got outrun, matic struggles to hold by his own, whilst pogba & lingard did feck all to help. i want to bash jose for this but then i was guilty too as i expect him to put that kind of formation. :rolleyes:

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 503 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Tottenham 0:2 Man Utd