PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 31 January 2018

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very poor performance, even more pathetic is players completely giving up in the second half.

pascell

In a fight to stay in top 4 imo, needed to win tonight and we were just embarrassing. Sanchez and Valencia the only players that can anything positive from this

Harold_Giles

So obvious we need a centre back in the mould of Verthongen.
Time after time he was able ro run with the ball, under pressure, and pass it to an attacker
Our center backs pass the ball to the full backs, who are under pressure, and usually lose the ball

Judas

Open to offers
Lukaku will never be a striker who lifts us when we're down, and that's an issue. Surely as a top team we should have a player up front who will dig deep and get us out of trouble. He was just one of many issues though today.

Robindinho

It’s ridiculous how bad we play in big games. Any team that press us or play at a high intensity and we turn to shit.

Second half was shocking - losing 2-0 and yet the back four and Matic are sat on the edge of our own box! Push up the pitch as a team ffs.

Lentwood

That was the worst I’ve ever seen Utd

And no that’s not knee-jerk, I’ve thought carefully about the 6-1 vs City, Midtyhakslland or whatever they are called, Newcastle 5-0 etc....I don’t think I’ve ever seen us look so utterly shambolic and disorganised

El Jefe

I can honestly say that's the worst performance I've ever seen from us. It was rotten and an embarrassment to this club. fecking rubbish day, Mourinho needs to take a good look at himself as well as a few players.

Irrational.

Disgraceful performance tonight. Sanchez the only industrious player tonight, everyone else sub-par.

First thing's first: I don't think anyone can complain about the team selection tonight. That was our strongest XI. Perhaps not having Martial on the left was a mistake, but that's no excuse.

We never really recovered from the knockout blow in the first 10 seconds (which shouldn't have stood anyway). Spurs pressed us to death and we never once looked comfortable. We also showed a lack of heart - yes Spurs got away with a lot of shitty fouls - but that was to be expected.

Our so called superstars should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Jones, Young, Pogba, Matic, Lukaku and Martial need to have a long, hard look at themselves. They have let themselves and their teammates down. I hope Jose tears into each and every one of them.

No idea what happened with Fellaini but if he wasn't injured, expecting Jose to throw him under the bus. He's as good as gone anyway I guess.

Spurs the better team in every department and thoroughly deserved the win. No complaints. We just never showed up. Eriksen the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

I fear for our game against Huddersfield on Saturday. Wagner will have those cnuts up for the game, despite letting his his best mate Jurgen hump them.

We are literally clinging onto second by the skin of our teeth - luckily the teams below us like Chelsea and Arse have been equally shite.

PS. Alli and Dembele can go feck themselves. Cannot stand those two arseholes in that Spurs side. Actually they're more like haemorrhoids. Harmless, but really annoying, and occasionally make you shit blood.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Real crap. Away performances against anyone decent and/or fired up are a real concern. Spurs fortunate to go 2-0 up but they sure made the most of it, and we never had a sniff.

Top 4 should be fine still. Could have all but wrapped it up tonight with a win, but we have gone away to all of the top 9 bar City now, and we are (almost) always favourites at home.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The one playing for Spurs you mean? Sure. We certainly didn't have any Sanchezes in our team tonight, at least I didn't see him.
In fairness he did actually try. But he kept cutting in, in the first half, leaving their right side completely open. Jose saw it though and moved in into the center in the second half. Then Martial would not track back.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I voted Fellaini as the MOTM cos at least he had the decency to just pack up and leave the field unlike the rest of the team who kept getting embarrassed for 90+ minutes!

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Players got an average rating of 2.5 from me.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
Result was not reflective of the performance. Really should have been 4-0 or worse. 2-0 is flattering.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Everybody has been sucking Mourinho’s big purple Portuguese dick recently, but that doesn’t remove the fact that we don’t look like a well coached team and we haven’t all fecking season.

That is one of the worst performances that I can remember.

I don’t mind being beaten, that’s part and parcel of football, but a team giving up with half an hour still to play is completely unacceptable.

Kev Davies

Supports
UTD
How the feck are we late for every ball?
How are we losing every physical battle?
Why are we incapable of passing the ball?

One of the most embarrassing (if that word is ever apt it's here) performances I can remember. We didn't even try for most of the game. We mock Arsenal for their lack of mental strength but this team isn't much better.
to right...never seen us so outclassed in every department

crossy1686

career ending
Enough of excuses

You can spend all the money you want and buy any players you want.

If you're not coached well as a team, we ain't going far in a long time.
Here we fecking go. What's the solution? Who should we bring in instead of Jose? I'll just wait here until you embarrass yourself.

luke511

Why does it always feel like the big teams are much better at playing football than us?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Jose on new contract. Mata, new contract. Sanchez here. The dynamic might not be all that great with with the hip dabbin' crowd, Pogba and Lingard. There I would suspect, is some of your problem. Maybe also Marouane on his way out. Jones, poor devil had a shocker. Pogba looked like he was in a sulk. To be fair, Spurs played really well. This is a critical moment, let's see how Jose handles it. I think there was a tactical mistake, which in fairness some in here (can't remember who, but three or four posters) observed, that for this game, we needed midfield strength. Herrera should have been on. Shaw, too. Rojo over Jones, but you can't see the future. Their goals were good, but kind of weird, too, so nothing to be too downhearted about. Just concentrate your minds on Stamford Bridge.

Safa Boy

Man Utd unworthy performance. Wrong tactics starting with Pogba and Matic. Pogba disappointed, no control in midfield at all.
Pogba is nothing more than a flat track bully imo. He looks class against weaker teams, but more often than not he disappears in big games.

Siorac

This was actually worse than the Olympiakos Away match in 2014.
Woah, easy there. I understand that by that time most of us had been numb to the pain while this time there was some optimism around the club but still. Go and rewatch that game... on second thought, don't do that.

manunited1919

Not at the races for the first goal, unlucky for second goal, and then the team just didn’t believe they could get back into the game.

This was not a game for Sanchez to have started, I think that’s a mistake from Mourinho. And we need to have 3 midfielders against teams that press us.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Tonight was not down to Mourinho. The gameplan was thrown out the window after 10 seconds. He tried to change it, the players were atrocious.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Absolutely atrocious performance. Mourinho proving he is awful in big games again, seems to be a trend the last few years. He seems to be blinded into thinking Pogba can play in midfield. As the furthest man forward in a midfield 3, yes. Any other role? feck no. David Silva and De Bruyne both show way more intelligence as midfielders then Pogba has ever done.

Also I get Young filled in now and then. But we finally have a left back that has been performing well and he benches him for an old ex-winger? What the feck does he think will happen when we have young as part of the back 4, a back 4 that receives 0 protection from that idiotic midfield selection that has been proved to not work time and time again. Pogba in a midfield 2 is essentially england managers constantly trying to put Gerrard and Lampard in a midfield 2 TOGETHER. It's idiotic. Offers 0 balance. Leaves Matic running all over the place which he can't do to cover for Pogba since Pogba is playing as an attacking mid, and just leaves our defence constantly exposed. And because of that, there's no control and nobody to give it to the attackers in the first place. Every. Single. Time. Whenever we play a big game, the same stupid mistake.

If he plays pogba and matic in a 2 in the knockout stages of the champions league I think I'm going to lose it.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
We looked like a shell of a club and utterly clueless in the last 30 mins. Not a Man Utd performance. There are too many value signings from the saf era playing in key positions that we simply need to move on.

IrishRedDevil

That was so depressing. I hated watching every second of that.

Jose got it wrong not going with a 3 man midfield and forcing Martial to the right.

The early goal gave us an uphill struggle and we couldn't get going form the off.

Nipower888

Supports
Man city
I consider this an off game where nobody really was in the right state of mind. If we played again next week I don’t think they’d win like this again. This was a bad loss but all our team can really do is move on. Dwelling on it and crapping on themselves won’t do any good. I hope they just acknowledge they were bad and come out swinging next game.

Horrendous from the whole team, want to forget about this as soon as possible. Worst performance since Chelsea away last year. Jose got it wrong with two in midfield, should've been Lingard for Hererra. But ultimately whatever his tactics, it's down to the team to not concede after 11 fecking seconds. Pathetic. We had a good period but after the second goal our heads just dropped and we didn't even try to attack. Everyone other than DDG, Valencia and Sanchez looked to have given up by the end of that. Need to focus on FA Cup, UCL and retaining top four. The loss isn't the worst part of tonight, it was the lack of effort after going down 2 goals.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Sickening performance, we were played off the pitch.

Sanchez gets my utd Man of the match for being the only player who seemed bothered.

Credit to Spurs, they gave us no space on the ball, every time we got it there were 3 of there players to get it back.

We looked poor and I hope this is a one-off.

I had hoped with it being Webley we would be up for this, sadly we still seem to struggle against the big treams.

A lot of work done, a lot more to do.

Siorac

To be fair, we did come out fighting in the second half....for all of 15 seconds. :(
It was so odd. It looked like we were going to really put up a fight and take the game to Spurs.

And then all that effort disappeared... within a minute.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Complete and utter shambles,embarrassing. Formation wasnt great but its no excuse for how utterly inept every single player was. Id get banned if i put my feelings about phil jones into words, and smalling and matic wernt much better.

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 503 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Tottenham 0:2 Man Utd