PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:6 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 October 2020

Tibs

The manager is clearly the weakest link....needs to be fired ASAP, and Poch comes in.

We cannot afford to win until its mathematically impossible for us to go get 4th.

The Hacker

As bad as anything over the last number of years. Shocking day off for everyone on the field.

phenry

As much as I like seeing the scousers get hammered, I'd prefer if Woodward and co had no consolation at all.

Coops73

It’s so sad, I’ve supported United since the 70s, I followed us home and away for quite some time though not since the mid 90s proper but it’s difficult to remember a more upsetting time as a Manchester United fan.

CR1

I’m late to comment since I had to watch it on replay as I was busy with some other stuff when it was going on.

1. Goals conceded came from individual mistakes. Ole had to try Bailly at CB as it’s a long and congested season but this should cement his squad player status. Maybe Tuanzebe and Mengi will be better. Otherwise its back to Maguire and Lindelöf which (together with Shaw, AWB and DDDG) is still a decent pairing as proved by the low numbers of goals conceded las season – just not title-challenging one. Maybe try rotating Maguire and Lindelöf for one spot and Tuanzebe and Mengi for the other one.

2. Ridiculous red card. But it happens, referees are only humans and we shouldn't rely on them to win football matches.

3. VDB should have started all three league games instead so far instead of Pogba and that’s on Ole. Which brings me to my next point:

4. I like Pogba but I wonder if we’ll win major titles with him this way? He is being misused as a deep player when in fact he’s much more dangerous in the final third. Yes he’s good at pinging long passes too but he shouldn’t be so seep all the time. Which again brings me to my next point:

5. Sign Jadon Sancho, Jack Grealish and a CDM/DLP and switch from 4-2-3-1 to 4-1-2-3. In other words, play with two CAM:s instead of just one. A front five instead of a front four. Also, sign Amad Traoré as we need competition for places.

6. Sell Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Pereira already. Reserve the minutes for our other squad players like Fred, McT and others instead. Rotation will be key this season.

7. There is still time to make something of this season but fourth is our ceiling and it’s going to be hard.

8. Ole Out:ers will likely get their way now, though. Even if we sign Cavani, Telles and Sancho that’s not enough as we need a CDM/DLP and CB as well.

9. I am obviously still Ole In and will remain so even if we lose the next 10 games.

10. If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. Manchester United failed to prepare for this season. More transfers in and transfers out should have been completed. This we all agree on. But they should also have thrown the EL just like I said straight after the Leicester game over at ROM, in order to get a preseason. I was one of the few people who said that, but I've seen at least one other who also said it.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
There are only two things that possibly stopped me from swallowing a bottle of sleeping tablets: the Scouse being drubbed, and Drump getting Covid. Apart from that, I cannot understand why the f*** we are trying to spend £100 mill on Sancho - grossly overpriced - when it is blindingly obvious even to me - a rugby player - we need to strengthen our defence. We have a right back who is not in the same league as Gary Neville, centre backs who are .like rabbits caught in headlights, a left back who goes on walkabouts, a dm who turns about as quick as curdled milk. Perhaps get N'Golo Kante - at least he is quicker than Matic. Then rebuild the defence and/or get some coaches in that know how to build a defence

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s so sad, I’ve supported United since the 70s, I followed us home and away for quite some time though not since the mid 90s proper but it’s difficult to remember a more upsetting time as a Manchester United fan.
We finished 3rd last season for Christ sake. 1989 we finished 11th and hadn’t won anything for 4 years and hadn’t won the league for over 20. We need some perspective. We’ve been spoilt. We could win our next 5 and it will all happy days on here. We will obviously get better.

Really hard to explain our start but I do agree with you in that it’s the general atmosphere that’s so toxic. I think it’s because the end of last season was so promising and then we had to put up with another Woodward shit show that fans have just had enough of false dawns.

Bondi77

This would be Ole confronting the team after this shambolic display;

Coops73

We finished 3rd last season for Christ sake. 1989 we finished 11th and hadn’t won anything for 4 years and hadn’t won the league for over 20. We need some perspective. We’ve been spoilt. We could win our next 5 and it will all happy days on here. We will obviously get better.

Really hard to explain our start but I do agree with you in that it’s the general atmosphere that’s so toxic. I think it’s because the end of last season was so promising and then we had to put up with another Woodward shit show that fans have just had enough of false dawns.
I try to look at it with some sort of perspective and during the 80s/90s when I was going to games a lot more and maybe the fun I had during those times, it has blinded my view of things a little but the ownership and running of the club over the last few years is utterly shocking and frightening as a fan

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Well at least the Dippers and Berties can't banter us tomorrow. Scant consolation I know, but I'll take it.

SirFergie

Ignoring the shit that's going on above Ole for the minute...

Speechless watching how it unfolded, especially after the start we had, we looked quite sharp for a couple of minutes!

Shocking individual (and collective) defensive errors, no one taking responsibility, no fight, no spirit, no leadership. Some of our players may be senior in terms of age but in terms of strong, positive mentality, there is a serious deficiency. Game intelligence, didn't see anything of the sort today, CBs passing into the middle of the pitch to marked player is unacceptable when there is 11 on the pitch, nevermind 10. Passing down blind alleys, again, in the middle of the pitch and then getting caught and out of position and then not being able to physically get back.

The players don't appear to be physically or mentally ready for the season, now Ole may take part of the blame in this, especially the mental aspect but the players must also mentally prepare themselves.

The captain has got a big role in motivating the team (as well as the manager), if only through attitude and the way he conducts himself on the pitch alone. Gary Neville made a good point in commentary about the Martial sending off, not one of the United players made the point about Lamela, not one of them showed any fight. They just kinda accepted it.

It's this weak as piss attitude that costs us as much as errors due to not having the clout to come back and win a game of football when things aren't necessarily going our way.

tjb

People also have to be careful in their criticism. I felt with the times our attackers had the ball before the sending off, they were good and incisive. However, when you are playing with 10 men with a defence that was literally leaking chances any time they were attacked, it makes it difficult. Martial of course has a lot of blame to take, but aside from him, the others performed well. Pogba and Matic excluded of course

Foxbatt

We had a manager who had won important trophies including a European trophy with unfancied sides and was getting to work his system. In Ole we had someone who has never won anything of significant at all as a Manager and had already managed in the PL and got relegated and sacked.
Even if we had Big Sam at least we know that he had a system to play. This is pure shambles and have been since he got the gig. He relies on the brilliance of individual players to get us to win. Sometimes they do but when they come up against decent opposition with a plan we stumble.
It is lack of coaching that is the issue. If we practice day in and day out we still may lose but we would not be a shambles like this is now. It is not an one off like against City with SAF. We have been asking for this since the start. Brighton should have won and that means we would be in the bottom 3 now.

Highlyevolved

We will never win the league again with Woodward and the Glazers. It’s that simple.

Lentwood

Shockingly bad tactically. That was like a Sunday League game. The gaps between our full backs and CBs and our CBs and our midfielders were just incredible.

Individuals were poor but we’re seriously doing our players no favours by being that open. It’s crazy. You could pick any back four and GK in the world, you’re asking for trouble playing so high and yet letting the opposition have all the time in the world to pick passes between the lines

croadyman

Anyone know if there is any truth in a rumoured half time spat between Bruno & Matic

Flanders Devil

You can’t sugar coat a 6-1 hiding at home and there was a lot to be unhappy about, however, it’s not the end of the World. I still have complete faith in Ole and I’m prepared to take a few poor results whilst he looks for the right blend. I’ve said it before, but we need fight in midfield and at the back and the sooner we get Phil Jones back in the side, the better. Fernandez is now being found out and he’s far too lightweight. Pogba is wasting his talent, both centrebacks lacked heart today. You could have replaced any of those players today with Jones and it would have been an improvement.

Bad day at the office, but it’s only 3 games in and not time to panic. Time to stick with Ole at the wheel.
Phil Jones?

instead of Pogba or Fernandes?

youmeletsfly

I’m late to comment since I had to watch it on replay as I was busy with some other stuff when it was going on.

1. Goals conceded came from individual mistakes. Ole had to try Bailly at CB as it’s a long and congested season but this should cement his squad player status. Maybe Tuanzebe and Mengi will be better. Otherwise its back to Maguire and Lindelöf which (together with Shaw, AWB and DDDG) is still a decent pairing as proved by the low numbers of goals conceded las season – just not title-challenging one. Maybe try rotating Maguire and Lindelöf for one spot and Tuanzebe and Mengi for the other one.

2. Ridiculous red card. But it happens, referees are only humans and we shouldn't rely on them to win football matches.

3. VDB should have started all three league games instead so far instead of Pogba and that’s on Ole. Which brings me to my next point:

4. I like Pogba but I wonder if we’ll win major titles with him this way? He is being misused as a deep player when in fact he’s much more dangerous in the final third. Yes he’s good at pinging long passes too but he shouldn’t be so seep all the time. Which again brings me to my next point:

5. Sign Jadon Sancho, Jack Grealish and a CDM/DLP and switch from 4-2-3-1 to 4-1-2-3. In other words, play with two CAM:s instead of just one. A front five instead of a front four. Also, sign Amad Traoré as we need competition for places.

6. Sell Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Pereira already. Reserve the minutes for our other squad players like Fred, McT and others instead. Rotation will be key this season.

7. There is still time to make something of this season but fourth is our ceiling and it’s going to be hard.

8. Ole Out:ers will likely get their way now, though. Even if we sign Cavani, Telles and Sancho that’s not enough as we need a CDM/DLP and CB as well.

9. I am obviously still Ole In and will remain so even if we lose the next 10 games.

10. If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. Manchester United failed to prepare for this season. More transfers in and transfers out should have been completed. This we all agree on. But they should also have thrown the EL just like I said straight after the Leicester game over at ROM, in order to get a preseason. I was one of the few people who said that, but I've seen at least one other who also said it.
2. The red card is a red card and even an obvious one. Martial was stupid to react.
4. We need a different setup in which he's played further upfront, maybe a 4-1-2-3 as you pointed out. He needs to be playing more on the left as well.

9. Let's be a little honest, he's a good man but an average manager who;s only starting his career. He's naive tactically and our team looks seriously under coached.

Ventura

This is the real asterisk season, it's going to be a stupid season overall, not just for United. Ending and starting at the wrong time, not much rest and preparation, and no fans at the stadium. Not an excuse for our result(s) in particular, but things are just out of whack. Not to mention a train crash of a transfer window. It really boggles the mind. But let's remember we had a great second half of last season and we can't have gotten that much worse over night, things have to pick up.

Ludens the Red

You can’t sugar coat a 6-1 hiding at home and there was a lot to be unhappy about, however, it’s not the end of the World. I still have complete faith in Ole and I’m prepared to take a few poor results whilst he looks for the right blend. I’ve said it before, but we need fight in midfield and at the back and the sooner we get Phil Jones back in the side, the better. Fernandez is now being found out and he’s far too lightweight. Pogba is wasting his talent, both centrebacks lacked heart today. You could have replaced any of those players today with Jones and it would have been an improvement.

Bad day at the office, but it’s only 3 games in and not time to panic. Time to stick with Ole at the wheel.
:lol:
great wummery

Stig

Solskjaer congrats with the players at the end of the game
Did he ? I saw him shake hands with the opposition and the officials and Fred; but I didn't see him even make eye contact with another United player - and I liked that. Did you see him acknowledging our players as well ?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
It's not all bad and I'll explain. The first two goals were flukes and if they do not happen, the red card does not happen and it's a different match. Of course we'll never no.

Those saying fire Ole are crazy IMO. He led us to 3rd after the break and that is not a small thing. He deserves another season.

I'm mostly disappointed with Pogba and Bailly. As most have said Pogba doesn't look like he is trying and those last two goals are on him. I've backed Pogba but he needs to pick it up or I'm done with him pretty soon. I hope he realizes he is going to be a 20 to 40 mil player very soon and might lose his place with France.

I'm disappointed with Bailly because of his stamp on Kane and his foul on Son (it was not an accident) which could have been career ending. This shows he doesn't have the maturity and thought process to be a good professional. Lastly, I don't want United to have players like that.

I hate looking at Mourinho's smug face.

Stig

So Liverpool lose 7 -2; but they were still trying from what I saw. After the 6th or 7th goal van Dyke looked like he was going to kill someone (on his own team) - for comparison Maguire just looked dejected and beaten - like the will to live had left him.

Liverpool were angry - we were simply broken. There is an attitude problem. Go down fighting - but not kicking people up in the air like Shaw did. Run, hustle, win a 50-50 ball -- we did none of that. Pogba pulled out of a gently 50-50 ball. Can you imagine Roy Keane or anyone of the class of 92 pulling out of an easy tackle when you are trailing 6-1 ? That is what makes me think something is deeply wrong.

Evra said that the players see no investment, they see the owners / directors don't really care and this has translated to the team. I think I agree.

reelworld

I like Ole and wanted him to succeed at United.
But this match is pretty much on Ole than anybody else
- keep playing Pogba when he was playing shite in every matches. I don't know if he just doesn't give a feck or still not match fit, but we have VDB that's match fit and was brought in to provide cover. Why the feck we don't play him?
- wrong tactics. You watched football long enough to know that Mourinho team would battle you like crazy,.. especially in midfield. They even bought Hojbjerg especially so they can out fought team in the mide And yet you played finnese players like Matic and Pogba there against them
- little to no game management. We've seen this before against Brighton, and as we saw last night, better teams will punish us mercilessly. No adjustment when Brighton killed our right side last week. No adjustment when we're down to 10 men.

Ole needs to get his shit together or he'll be gone before Christmas. And if this keep happening you can't blame it on Woodward

Player Ratings

2.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 15% Man Utd 1:1 Tottenham