PL D FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 27 April 2023

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Spurs’ first is clear offside, Richarlison is on the line interfering De Gea big time, he couldn’t dive.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Again another game which shows our CM issues remain. Casemiro and Eriksen don't have the legs for the PL. Plus Fred comes on and makes things even worse.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm already tired of this football season thanks to the mid season WC and I don't even play (I do have to watch Wout Weghorst weekly though, which is exhausting on it's own). The players looked gassed.
That break in the middle has worn me out. It just seems never ending. Cup finals in June for goodness sake.

RedIan

We should have put the game to bed first half, could have been 4-0 easily and not flatter us.. we were well in control.
We played 120 minutes and penalties on sunday. I can only assume some players were lacking energy second half. AWB defending was out of character, he was leaving loads of room on his side And Spurs were getting in behind constantly.
our bench players are not good enough. Fred was woeful.
id have brought on Pellistri for Anthony who was strangely subdued today,

time to move Fred and co on and get some quality back up players in.
shaw was outstanding first half.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Subs killed it. Lack of depth very obvious again. Very good first half though.

horse_pills

I really don't get the thinking behind continually bringing Weghorst on in the final 20 mins. He's clearly never going to extend our lead or help maintain one.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Sad to think that Newcastle are more clinical and ruthless than us.
Aye even their average players have suddenly started banging them in from all angles. We are probably the most wasteful “top” side. Don’t score anywhere near enough goals.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not that it really matters but I don’t see how their first goal is allowed to stand. De Gea should have made more of that imo, try and dive or something? I dunno, make the ref aware that a fecking spurs player is offside and in your way?
Because he had zero clue Richarlison was there. It didn't effect him in the slightest

Stadjer

Fred’s sub was not a clever move. But yea, we were knackered by the end.
That exact same sub has been made quite a few times this season and in some of those games Fred became one of the best player on the pitch. The sub itself wasnt wrong or a bad idea, Fred just had a horrible game. Dont know why it wouldnt be a clever move.

People ask for the Eriksen/Fred sub because Fred brings 'energy' but today Fred just didnt bring anything.

DomesticTadpole

Don’t get me wrong, I am really annoyed that we can’t seem to kill off games. We piss about casually with nowhere near enough urgency like we’re 5-0 up when it’s only 1 or 2, and now the super long season is catching up with us it’s costing us, but it’s also pretty certain that all the other teams around us are going to drop points too (especially as they have to play each other) and we’re still in the best position to be, and considering Spurs actually needed to win and lots of the doom & gloom wankers seemed to be worried we’d lose this game because Spurs needed a reaction in the matchday thread yesterday… really this is fine
A lot had us beaten before we even kicked off. A lot have us losing every game before we even kick off.

DomesticTadpole

That exact same sub has been made quite a few times this season and in some of those games Fred became one of the best player on the pitch. The sub itself wasnt wrong or a bad idea, Fred just had a horrible game. Dont know why it wouldnt be a clever move.

People ask for the Eriksen/Fred sub because Fred brings 'energy' but today Fred just didnt bring anything.
To be fair he did. It's called chaos.

Banana Republic

Have we been kidding ourselves that we’ve made progress?
We’re exactly where we were 2 or 3 seasons ago, battling for a top 4 place, with inconsistent performances and everyone saying we need a clear out and just need to bring in a few players.
ETH had this squad flying a couple of months ago.
Has it been the fixture overload and burnout, or has poor mentality and fundamental shortcomings in individual players been exposed again?

Woziak

2 points dropped. Ten Hag will be fuming with that.
This time he’s at fault bad subs at the wrong time. We need 4 wins from 7 games it’s that simple, United have a habit of making things akways very difficult

This away form now is a worry we simply are not ruthless enough and right now Newcastle are further ahead in terms of being able to score goals and put teams to the sword. More comcerning right now is how bad Casemeiro been in last 4 or 5 games and how we don’t take our chances Bruno has to score that AWB another bad miss. We have hardly any goals or assists from our defenders, apart from Luke Shaw.
Villa at home, Brighton away, West Ham away are difficult we need two wins from those 3 games and then we’ll be ok .

DomesticTadpole

Subs killed it. Lack of depth very obvious again. Very good first half though.
The owners knew we needed a striker in January and this is what we got, plus the other who cannot stay fit. The fact Brandon Williams has weedled his way back into the squad says a lot.

jesperjaap

Thought first half we looked good knockign the ball about.....BUT that had a lot to do with jsut how dreadful this SPurs side currently are. The Pochettino press is long gone, the Conte spirit is long gone, they literally just got men behind the ball and we were able to pass it around at will. Failure to beat that side is very very poor.

As a couple of people have said, for all Ten Hag has doen this season and overall it has been very good...I appreciate we are near the end of a season with tired players and injury problems, but his substitutions are confusing me.

Bissaka is playing well, yet he is always the one to come off and Dalot is moved to right back....where we then get exposed as we did again tonight. Not many options obviously and people are going to point towards his work rate, but Weighirst literally offers absolutely nothing but that, no hold up play, link up play, goals or quality, one of the worst players I have ever seen where the shirt, he is simply terrible...moving on toxic Ronaldo may hav ebeen right but christ surely there were better loan options than Wieghorst.

Also a few of thes players have had good games recently and a few havent....but Dalot, Lindelof, Maguire, Fred, McTominay, Martial...that lot must have cost us upwards of £250m, been here a fair few seasons most of them and they have barely put a seasons worth of performances of real quality between them. They should all go, they would pretty much pay for a new striker and central midfielder we desperately need and add them to th deadwood we could get a yougn CB too with a near zero net spend.

Our progression this season really comes down to an intelligent manager with authority and two genuine quality signings, we are still a long way short of a title chasing squad in terms of consistent quality irrespective of how good City are the last few seasons, missing a couple tonight is further evidence of this, that Spurs side is dreadful despite some good players, how on earth are they still hanging on to a CL place tussle is beyong me

Dazzmondo

People talking about the subs being bad and changing things but we were shit even before the subs. Everything after half time was terrible and we conceded our 1st before the first subs were even made. I can definitely see why ETH wanted to change things because we were going to concede another without the subs, absolutely no doubt. Unfortunately the subs didn't improve things. Suggests 1st half performance was more down to how poor Spurs were than us being good. Lack of a striker massive issue but our performances really haven't been good enough for a long time now. Feels like we've gone backwards despite the quite fortunate result against Brighton.

RedorDead21

Aye even their average players have suddenly started banging them in from all angles. We are probably the most wasteful “top” side. Don’t score anywhere near enough goals.
I think we’re very poor in possession more than anything. I’d love to see our possession stats compared to the bottom teams and ball turnovers. We seem to be as bad as any PL team at passing.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
If we don't, Liverpool are a problem.
If we get 12/21 points it won't matter if they get 18/18. We have 4 of 7 matches at home. And a schedule that eases up now with us out of Europe.

Tonight was 2 easy points chucked away but in the grand scheme, a point at Spurs is perfectly fine. A bit like Arsenal drawing at Anfield IMO, this result in isolation isn't make or break. But we can't let it become a slippery slope. Now need to win at home now vs a Villa side in top form.

caid

Our forwards pressing was non existent 2nd half. Spurs could stroll up to the half way line and were given pretty free runs at full backs. Sit on the edge of our box and hope we get away with it, complete with a few penalty box scrambles. Its an old, old trick that never works.
Its hard to blame rashford for being knackered and conserving energy or Martial trying to manage his injuries but its sets a terrible standard. We need enough quality to push Rashford and Bruno and so on to the bench long before they get to this point of looking kind of burned out. Very few of the others have an excuse for tiredness, they haven't played that many games.
Theres been progress this season but a lot of the old demons are still there.

Bristol_Red_87

He didn't know what version of Fred he was going to get unfortunately.
This is it. In essence ETH can't trust him. I think we've seen that in recent weeks where Fred has played a bit part, but I can see why he brought him on with tiring legs. Unfortunately, Fred isn't the only player that can't be trusted. Malacia is a real issue now.

However on the flip-side, a team that struggles to control ANY game brings on a player who brings the least control possible.

Sabitzer seemed the better option even without hindsight but I'm sure Erik had his reasons.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Caellum

I had been thinking Fred had turned the corner the last few weeks as when he played I thought he had done ok, but today he was awful, there was just no ambition in that second half they have to get ruthless.

DomesticTadpole

Our forwards pressing was non existent 2nd half. Spurs could stroll up to the half way line and were given pretty free runs at full backs. Sit on the edge of our box and hope we get away with it, complete with a few penalty box scrambles. Its an old, old trick that never works.
Its hard to blame rashford for being knackered and conserving energy or Martial trying to manage his injuries but its sets a terrible standard. We need enough quality to push Rashford and Bruno and so on to the bench long before they get to this point of looking kind of burned out. Very few of the others have an excuse for tiredness, they haven't played that many games.
Theres been progress this season but a lot of the old demons are still there.
Oh to be able to bring someone on like a Phil Foden.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Daft thing you think of pace with Martial. Think he has got to the stage that he is trying to avoid injury which is no use to us.
He's not as creative as Kane either, which makes it worse. Just a nice pass here and there, and bam.. that would be 300k mam..

Godfather

Proper shit on a stick football in the second half. Still think we will get top 4 but we need huge improvements next season

Abhinav

Thought first half we looked good knockign the ball about.....BUT that had a lot to do with jsut how dreadful this SPurs side currently are. The Pochettino press is long gone, the Conte spirit is long gone, they literally just got men behind the ball and we were able to pass it around at will. Failure to beat that side is very very poor.

As a couple of people have said, for all Ten Hag has doen this season and overall it has been very good...I appreciate we are near the end of a season with tired players and injury problems, but his substitutions are confusing me.

Bissaka is playing well, yet he is always the one to come off and Dalot is moved to right back....where we then get exposed as we did again tonight. Not many options obviously and people are going to point towards his work rate, but Weighirst literally offers absolutely nothing but that, no hold up play, link up play, goals or quality, one of the worst players I have ever seen where the shirt, he is simply terrible...moving on toxic Ronaldo may hav ebeen right but christ surely there were better loan options than Wieghorst.

Also a few of thes players have had good games recently and a few havent....but Dalot, Lindelof, Maguire, Fred, McTominay, Martial...that lot must have cost us upwards of £250m, been here a fair few seasons most of them and they have barely put a seasons worth of performances of real quality between them. They should all go, they would pretty much pay for a new striker and central midfielder we desperately need and add them to th deadwood we could get a yougn CB too with a near zero net spend.

Our progression this season really comes down to an intelligent manager with authority and two genuine quality signings, we are still a long way short of a title chasing squad in terms of consistent quality irrespective of how good City are the last few seasons, missing a couple tonight is further evidence of this, that Spurs side is dreadful despite some good players, how on earth are they still hanging on to a CL place tussle is beyong me
I am as annoyed as you are but AWB needed to subbed 10 minutes earlier. He was so poor on their first goal, jogging slowly rather than closing the winger down. He was also finding it difficult in the first half.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I agree his signings are not beyond criticism I think his signings are the least of our problems. I'm happy with the characters he's brought in and given the loser mentality pervading the existing squad I can't think what signings ten Hag could have made last summer that would have had the required transformative effect.
Are they though? Casemiro constantly giving the ball today cost us big time. Malacia pretty much single handedly cost us the Sevilla tie recently. And less said about Weghorst the better.

I totally agree we have far too many weak characters in the squad and I've been saying it for years. For me the biggest red flag is ETH hasn't been able to do anything about it. Our biggest issue over the last decade has been how we constantly allow teams back in games and every manager moans about how it is unacceptable and we have to do better, but none can seem to rectify it. ETH has followed the same pattern of moaning about it but not resolving it.

I understand it won't happen overnight but the likes of Antony, Casemiro, Martinez were supposedly bought in to bring in that fight yet they seem as culpable as the rest.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The owners knew we needed a striker in January and this is what we got, plus the other who cannot stay fit. The fact Brandon Williams has weedled his way back into the squad says a lot.
Exactly. Ronaldo had to go but needed to be replaced with a decent striker. As bad as he was, Id still have fancied Ronaldo to score at least 10-15 goals in the second half of the season and that’s the level of striker we needed to bring in to replace his goals. Once again the Glazers have screwed us over.

Matt851

Another dire performance from Antony. He does something good every few games and that seems to be enough to convince people he is going to be world class. People act like its something impressive on the rare occasions he uses his right foot. The fact is if he had only cost 30m no one would believe he was good enough to be starting for us

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 222 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd