PL D FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 27 April 2023

aprian38

Why we can play at full speed for 90"? It's like two different teams between first half and second half. Fred is so awfull, too many misplaced pass. Wout? .. . We don't have any creativity in 2nd half.

Irwin99

What a weird game. I'm disappointed we dropped two points but i'm still confident of top 4 provided our home form see us through (which it should)

Shaw MOTM.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Needed much better control in that second half. Just do what city do and kill the game. If it means you spend ten minutes aimlessly passing to each other so be it.

A draw isnt the end of the world with regards top four. But we are going nowhere next season with performances like that in the second half.
Totally agree, keep the freaking ball. Isn't difficult with Spurs?!

dove

Another inept performance. I don't agree with people saying we were good in the first half. The only reason we were "good" is because Spurs were absolutely shocking, they gave us so much space... The moment they upped their intensity and actually started to try playing some football, we crumbled.

ThemanGiggsy

saw a stat on Twiiter that said United have taken 1 point in away games against the top 7 this year.

not great Bob

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I do not understand how we turn from very good to very poor from one half to the next. So frustrating.
I think a lot of that has to do with the quality of the players we have to bring on. Ten Hag can't conjure up players out of nowhere. He has to work with what he has. Strange how Sabitzer wasn't brought on though. I don't think he'd have made a difference but at least he won't feck up simple things like Fred did out there.

Gopher Brown

The bottom line is we need better squad players. Too many passengers, not enough fecks given, too many mistakes. 5 new signings needed to replace the dross.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We threw it away by failing to kill of the game yet again BUT!! We were also coming off a 120 minutes on Sunday, which had already seen in form Brighton lose to fecking Forest, so the serious flagging as the second half went on was always on the table.

Some of the panic in here is proper piss baby levels. A point away at Spurs is fine.
Think people are just disappointed, but you are right. It has been a remarkably long season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Anyway. SPurs had some very good chances as well. It's a deserved draw for both teams.

Ole'sattheWheel

I said in the match day thread at half time that I was concerned. We absolutely never put a game to bed and look ropey as feck. We were lucky we didn’t concede 3 or 4 that game if we’re honest

Gazautd18

Was at the game.
Excellent first half then levels dropped in the second.
Think the Bruno chance changed the players mentality for some reason.
Fred was a liability.
WW and Tony were anonymous.
Threw this one away.

Red_Aaron

Half assed 2nd half in a game we should've won comfortably. Even when spurs improved it was still easy to get at them but we didn't show enough aggression

Squad is stretched to breaking and energy is severely lacking. We've a good enough gap to limp over the line for 4th, need to get into better shape for the final though

nazanto

ETH questionable subs aside, how come we come out poorly in the second half after we just had a comfortable 1st half? What exactly he said to those players? Clearly it's not working for a while now.

Kopral Jono

There were plenty of warning shots in the first half to show Spurs could threaten. That second half performance was terrible though.

As for Bruno hitting the bar... Jeez. That would have knocked them back on their heels.
Fine margins indeed. Plenty of parallels tonight with Sevilla a fortnight ago. If the ball had nestled in it would have been a field day for our attackers from then on, but it didn't and instead it provided them with the belief that they can still get a positive result from the game and, to their credit, they did.

In any case -- we NEED to be more clinical in front of goal.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Shambolic doesn't even begin to describe that second half. I know the team is tired, but the start from AWB and Antony was shameful. Eriksen sub was the right call but EtH made the wrong choice, should've been Sabitzer. We got the Mr. Hyde version of Fred today and it meant that once it was 2-2, we wouldn't win.

His fellow Brazilian Casemiro was bad too. He was bypassed way too easily, way too often. Maybe it's because of the red cards but you can't have an experienced player like him fold like that. And I'll never understand DDG still hoofing it when we have no one who can win headers against a pressing Spurs. Serious lack of calmness that someone like Varane or Licha would've provided.

Such a disappointment after that first half. Feels like having a five star meal for the main course followed by a shit sundae for desert. If only Bruno's shot stayed under the bar.
He didn't know what version of Fred he was going to get unfortunately.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Knew this would be rough. We're crap most of the time tbh

Redtodgers

It’s quite simple. Bruno scores the open and goal we win. Also Casemiro has been very average of late and should have buried that header

CallyRed

Sad to think that Newcastle are more clinical and ruthless than us.

Redderp

I really want us to try stacking the midfield more when we are struggling. We have never tried Casemiro and Fred/McTominay + Eriksen. Then Casemiro and Fred/McTominay can cover for Eriksen defensively and Eriksen can cover for their passing deficiencies.

I think this was the perfect game for it because we were struggling on the wings and Bruno didn’t do much after we subbed Eriksen. So either put him on as false 9 or on the wing. It was also one of the games where Eriksens passing was top tier.

Martial, Antony and Weghorst all had 0/10 games, so why not just stack the midfield instead.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
We threw it away by failing to kill of the game yet again BUT!! We were also coming off a 120 minutes on Sunday, which had already seen in form Brighton lose to fecking Forest, so the serious flagging as the second half went on was always on the table.

Some of the panic in here is proper piss baby levels. A point away at Spurs is fine.
Yup.

it’s annoying that we have so many second half performances like this but the squad is clearly completely knackered after such a gruelling season.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Proper pissed me off that. It was a disgraceful second half from all involved. All we had to do was not let them get anything for the first 15 minutes of the second half. But we never do that away from home against top half sides. We come out slow and lazy and get punished every single time. I'm fecking raging about that more than the defeats to Liverpool or Newcastle because we were never in either of those games.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Do find it odd. Most people predicted we'd lose or draw this game and then proceed to cry when we do exactly what they thought.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Think people are just disappointed, but you are right. It has been a remarkably long season.
I'm already tired of this football season thanks to the mid season WC and I don't even play (I do have to watch Wout Weghorst weekly though, which is exhausting on it's own). The players looked gassed.

Betson

saw a stat on Twiiter that said United have taken 1 point in away games against the top 7 this year.

not great Bob
You can't argue anything other than a weak mentality , that is one thing that has not changed since ETH has come in.

It is something he will have to address , and he knows that , he looked livid on the sideline.

I suspect he has not worked with such mentality weak players in any other club he was at,

NLunited

The subs came when gaps in midfield were starting to get bigger.

Our players were tired, subs needed to be made. Unfortunately we lost composure. Our subs cannot be trusted to see out games.

JagUTD

It's actually a joke that we play again in just over 60 hours.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Don’t get me wrong, I am really annoyed that we can’t seem to kill off games. We piss about casually with nowhere near enough urgency like we’re 5-0 up when it’s only 1 or 2, and now the super long season is catching up with us it’s costing us, but it’s also pretty certain that all the other teams around us are going to drop points too (especially as they have to play each other) and we’re still in the best position to be, and considering Spurs actually needed to win and lots of the doom & gloom wankers seemed to be worried we’d lose this game because Spurs needed a reaction in the matchday thread yesterday… really this is fine.

A point away at a direct competitor always is… unless you’re behind them. Which we aren’t.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Such a frustrating game. Even in the first half the signs were there, and I thought 2-0 flattered us. They were carving us open at will, we were so open. Bruno should have killed the game and made it 3-1. I don’t think we had another decent chance after that, and we completely retreated mentally.

Fred is injured, knackered, just plain shite or maybe all of the above because I don’t know what the hell that cameo was about. He actively hindered us every time he got near the ball. The subs helped Spurs more than us.

Not that it really matters but I don’t see how their first goal is allowed to stand. De Gea should have made more of that imo, try and dive or something? I dunno, make the ref aware that a fecking spurs player is offside and in your way?

Roboc7

We’re in trouble, we won’t get much from next 3 games and going to be real battle for 4th with Liverpool over last few games.

Squad players are shit and a lot of the regulars legs have gone, giving away a two goal lead to that Spurs side (and it could and maybe should have been worse) just isn’t good enough.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 222 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd