PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2023

Cantona in disguise

Two major problems:

- We obviously won't score enough goals, as it was expected, unless Hojulnd turns out to be one of the signings of this century
- Casemiro can't play alone. We leave too much space in the middle. We need someone to play alongside him, and Mount is definitely not the guy. To make things worse, I'm not sure what Mount is actually capable of doing in this squad, and it's not that we got him cheaply

Long season ahead...
Mount is an adequate deputy for Bruno. To play when he needs a rest. He shouldn't be playing with Bruno in my amateur opinion.

Rustyspider13

We take one of our chances and we win that game. Goals change games and Spurs getting the lead completely put the game in their favor. On another day we get a penalty/Bruno doesn't miss a sitter/Spurs don't get a ball deflected perfectly into a player's path/Antony's shot goes in/Martinez doesn't have a shocker. A lot of things could've gone our way but didn't. It happens and we've lost games because of it before.

But what I find truly disappointing is how bad we look physically. Players like Bissouma, Sarr and Lemina are half the footballer Casemiro is, but they're simply more athletic and therefore look more dominant. Shaw looked like he was running in mud at times, Bruno looked spent in the second game and Eriksen hasn't been fast in ages. There is not excuse for Rashford and especially Sancho and Martial. It seems like only Varane is cut out for top level football. We need a lot of energy all across the team.

And for God's sake please put Rashford on the left. Stick a training cone up top if need be, our most dangerous player should be playing where he can cause the most damage. I'd put Pellistri ahead of Antony too, his decision making was garbage. I hope to God Hojlund is the solution to all our problems but it is an insane spot for a 20 year old to be in.

Lord of Blackhaven

Only a change of ownership can change this decade long sh1t show. No manager or player can make a difference without a proper hierarchy at the club. We have spent £360M in a little over a year for this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We look like we're a couple of weeks off other teams, a poor start.
Not as woeful as last season's start, but we at least had the excuse of a new manager dealing with a wreckage of a previous manager's reign.

GNev keeps on about Casemiro needing someone in there. What does he think Mount was? That was our choice to go for that sort of midfielder.
If we do suddenly bringing another defensive player in, what do we do with Mount, benched with Eriksen?

Looks a right mess, with basically our whole squad available, bar a striker we've bought injured,

Rashy up top doesn't do it enough. Bruno wasteful.
Arsenal away up soon. Not good.

Irwin99

Well, decent first half, should have had a penalty and that was an absolutely criminal miss from Bruno...

...but Jesus! We could have conceded 3 or 4 goals in each of the past two games and the attack is so so blunt. I'm worried. It's so easy to either waltz through our centre or get in behind the fullbacks.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No two ways about it. We're shit.

EtH needs to realise it's better to admit you've got the signings wrong, drop Antony and Mount (as well as Garnacho while he's at it), play Martial until he gets injured and replaced by Hojlund and just stop with the dumb Bruno on the wing bullshit. If Bruno's not performing, sub him for Mount or even Pellistri.

Parma Dewol

Appreciate actually reading a bit of optimism.

The collapses are certainly worrying. Takes them too long to get their heads back in the game. The best teams almost take afront if you take the lead against them and make you regret it. We completely lose any momentum we may have, and once we find it again it's too late.
For a good 20 minutes in the second half, right when you’d expect a reaction, the whole team shied away completely. So hard to get going again when the malaise sets in so severely, as tends to be the case with us.

Still can’t believe Bruno, Cas and Antony all failed to find the back of the net. Different game if one of those goes in, but no excuses, in that second half we were beaten for effort, desire and commitment.

God damn it, outplayed by Wolves and Spurs in the space of six days. Jesus H.

Samoerai Jack

Appreciate actually reading a bit of optimism.

The collapses are certainly worrying. Takes them too long to get their heads back in the game. The best teams almost take afront if you take the lead against them and make you regret it. We completely lose any momentum we may have, and once we find it again it's too late.
Yeah, exactly. That's the energy I'm missing, that I want to see.

Catalandevil

We looked like we were still in pre-season. IMO, the biggest problems were:

1 - Our midfield is not working. We are too light and porous. The current set up is making the thre players look worse than what they are.

2 - We are trying to play too direct. We are losing too many balls and this is exposing us

3- Not having a clear focal point is making our attacks too easy to defend.

Only Onana, Antony, Lisandro, Varana and AWB understand the way we want to play.

Shaw, Bruno and Sancho look really unfit.

We really need to sign a player like Amrabat. If not, if the Mount experiement doesn't work, we will struggle.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I really can't believe how bad we've been so far. I thought we were off and running last season, despite some glaring deficiencies, and, with a whole summer to get stuck in, Erik would have us firing on all cylinders and we'd be off and running from the first whistle. Wow, how wrong could I be.

davidmichael

Absolutely disgusting performance yet again and tactically inept from ETH and the players, I’m fecking livid so I’ll leave it at that.

Jacko21

Something feels iffy. Just haven’t looked in the right frame of mind in either game.

Teams want to play us, because we encourage them. Time and time again.

All a bit concerning. Need an injection of optimism from somewhere.

Matt851

The most worrying thing is not the one off result, it's that eth's plan of playing Bruno and mount as two 8s just seems hopelessly naive. So now we are actually left with a worse central midfield than last season given Fred has gone and casmiro is struggling. We are just going to get bullied week in, week out with that team. Add to that our forward options are poor and his loyalty to Antony makes the situation worse. We aren't going to score goals or control games.

Hard to see how we will ever get better with how crappy our recruitment is

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Man Utd Lost so the CAF is in meltdown! PANIC STATIONS!

Sack EtH. Sack Murtough. All the players bought are crap.

Fold the club.

moodyred

I thought we prepared our players well via our pre season games. How is it that we are the only team that is looking jaded.

Moriarty

We are a collection of 11 individuals not a team welded together under a designated playing system. There is no balance, and for a side like Manchester United to start a season with no striker just beggars belief. I don't know if the new kid is the answer but the lack of goals last season was worrisome. It still is.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
The early yellow cards against us in the first half took the 'fight' out of our midfield for the rest of the match.

OldTrevil

Our first half performance was alright, we just couldn't finish. Second half it's like the team was changed for imposters.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Why insist on playing Rashford upfront again.

He was our best player last season... So let's play him out of position. :houllier:

Play an unfit Martial, play Bruno as a false 9, stick McTominay up there FFS!

We need Rashford back on that wing.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I basically gave up on the season the moment those quotes came out.
I think he choose to go that way due to the personnel at his disposal. He tried last year to control games and make them less chaotic but due to how our squad is constructed he's forced to lean into being a transition team because that's what suit our best players.

When your best players are Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro and the likes, it's hard to control games, so instead he decided to play into their strength which is transition. When you watch Bruno and Rashford needlessly and constantly give away the ball while attempting 5 yards passes, how confident can you be in believing you'll ever exert control over any decent team.

My take though, is that he should still try to force it to them. No more allowing Bruno carelessly giving away possession, no more Casemiro playing hot potato with the ball at time. Probably far harder than it sound.

redom

Our attack is bobbins, Antony is easy to martial and predict his tendencies, Garnacho just isn't a starter at the moment, and Rashford can't play as a lone striker. Add to that a wasteful and kinda weak midfield and we look pretty easy to set up and play against. Really shit start to the season.

Glorio

Our biggest players collapse in the face of adversity and start playing long balls, bypassing the entire midfield, giving it back to the opposition, and repeat

ShinjiNinja26

Garbage. We look so bad, I’m not sure Højlund coming in will solve the main problem, we’ve zero control in midfield and are getting cut open far too easily. We need a midfielder, simple as.

Samoerai Jack

I know that you’re all feeling sore but you need to appreciate that you’re a team in transition at the moment. You were never going to seamlessly slip into playing how Ten Hag wants you to play.
You were much the better side in all respects for the first half hour, and better in some respects throughout the game, you didn’t boss possession but you certainly bossed shots and were evens with shots on goal.
You’ll have days like this and then it’ll click.
Glad to hear an outside perspective. That's my feeling too, even if I'm worried about our mentality sometimes.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 282 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd