CL L Champions League Group H

Valencia 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 12 December 2018

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
The difference in our manager Saturday where he was constantly on the players, to Today where it seemed like he sat the team up to fail, then sat back and watched it unfold.

To me this is his problem....he's petty and holds grudges and is obsessed with being proven right.

So Saturday he's motivated and Today his motivation is not for the benefit of the team.

Jose is a disgrace
Doesn't make sense to me. If your team plays well and win then that reflects well on you as manger too.

matecro007

Majority are saying , blame jose , blame the players , blame the club. At this point I dont fecking care. We became heartless plastic club and that is the truth. All are getting 0 score from me.

meninred

As much as I am a united fan, this team is a last 16 team - no further.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
As much as I am a united fan, this team is a last 16 team - no further.
A fortunate and unlikely away victory at Juventus helped us exceed our true level this season. Out at the group stage but a reasonable contender for the Europa.

philipos

"And the away fans, feel so sorry for them, having to travel all the way down there to witness that. Should have all their money payed back."

They should make their feelings known. It is the only way we can get rid of Jose now.
I’ve had a great couple of days in Valencia - lovely city, warm with glorious sunshine. And then the wretched match got in the way - at least I think there was a match although I can’t really remember much about it as it was such a non-event. I cannot recall one moment of excitement even when we scored.

MrBest

What a waste of a game. Could of played some more youth and even if we lost 2 0, would of had more excitement. Pathetic, Jose needs to go. Glad I didn't watch it and went gym judging by the comments. Not looking forward to getting smashed by Liverpool although i have a feeling we will get a result and Jose will be saved for another 3 months.

reddaz71

Shocking to think the cold reality is that such an iconic club is nowadays if its lucky is just in the CL to make up the numbers! A damning indictment of how badly run the club is!

Reddy Rederson

Just heard a united fan on talk sport complaining about tonight. He finishes off with;

“Uniteds not a football club anymore. It’s a business. I guarantee you, if Moyes had been given his 6 years to build the squad, we’d be challenging now.”

Not even a whiff of sarcasm. :houllier:

Slaford RED

Absolute torture. This team just sucks all of the joy and excitement of watching your beloved club play football. They have no idea of how to play, the management is just as clueless and the players seems like the couldn't care less.

We've had plenty of terrible performances this season already but watching that crap tonight was really tough. Whatever optimism you had ahead of Sundays game just went down the toilet. I know that it was a pointless game since we were through already, and rested most of the players but still, you expect much more!

Fair play to Marcus. Only one looking to do something when he came on and rightfully got his goal. Hope he keeps on improving, seeing him score always warms my heart.

And the away fans, feel so sorry for them, having to travel all the way down there to witness that. Should have all their money payed back.
Optimism of Sundays game ?? Wow !!

I didn't think anybody had a hint of optimism against the Scousers. Unless of course you would be satisfied with parking the bus and nicking a win, playing long ball.

As for the away fans, no sane person would of travelled especially to Valencia to watch this shower. I presume they would all be ex pats.

Rashford did well, Mata tried, Pogba looks like he's on his way out. Mourinho didn't look bothered and possibly wanted a shite result to blame Pogba ??

OldPop

You probably did not understand Mourinho's tactical finesse. After seeing this match, Liverpool will take the chance to rest their top players and we easily win with five goals. I have not understood the tactics either ...

It's even more difficult to understand how many players can make such a bad performance when they got the chance. Are they really so bad or do not they want to? I'm not sure what it is.

Pjisared

Why’s everyone having a go at Phil Jones.
He had our first shot on target :boring:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Irish Connection

Absolutely shocking performance once again tonight. We are so disjointed. The forwards make runs when midfielders aren’t set to make a pass, the midfielders pass after the forward has run offside or stopped his run, the defense is all over the place, there are huge gaps between midfield and attack. Our squad is full of clumsy players: Fellaini, pogba, Lukaku, Jones, etc. zero finesse, little pace.
It’s just gone to absolute shit.
All I hope is the club makes the big, correct decisions soon and we can right the ship asap cos I don’t want us to languish mid table for another 5 years. And we’re definitely missing out on the top players after missing champions league this time around.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We struggled to create a chance against a side that have lost 12 of their 15 games in La Liga. Something needs to change.

UncleBob

I'll post this one here as well

For me, there's clearly something wrong with the training and tactics, i don't see any other decent alternatives that would explain the overall lack of movement around the player that has the ball. There's no obvious system in place, which is the normal occurance and not just a result of who plays. Given what we see in matches and what Hazard has said earlier about Mourinho and trainings, it's not exactly unfair to suggest that we're not focusing on movement around the player with the ball.

There were a few decent debates about it in the studio after the match, with clips of what happens when a United midfielder get the ball, how the distance to a teammate increases because we need the player on the ball to create something on his own. It's easily visible when a player is moving down either flank with the ball, how the teammates line up at the edge of the box, waiting for the player to cross the ball so they can go into the box, there's very rarely any passing options.

Alternatively look at the screengrabs below:

There's absolutely no movement as a team. In the first picture, Lingard should be much closer to Ashley Young, Mata should be looking at getting in behind.

In the second picture, Young has passed the ball backwards to Lingard who rolls it to Mata, what are the passing options afterwards. What should happen is that Pereira should move towards Mata to make himself available for the pass, Lingard should continue his run in central to be a passing option for Pereira while Pogba should run into space in front of their box to make himself available to receive a pass from Lingard.

What happens ? Oh, we roll it sideways to Pogba

What passing options does Pogba have ? None, so he lets the ball run sideways to Valencia

Who has no passing options. Pereira should bust a gut to be the forward passing option for Valencia, but it never happens. The only time a player passes the ball and goes on a run to receive it, is when Valencia passes it back to Pogba, Pogba passes it to Valencia again and runs into space but never gets the ball.

Same with the situation i commented on earlier when Pogba had a go with his left foot, there's no passing options:

It's absolutely insane how we fail to take advantage of that situation due to poor movement. :
- Rashford correctly plays the ball to Pereira who makes a bit of a stupid choice when he passes it to Lingard instead of Pogba
-Lingard makes an even worse choice when he slows the tempo further with his pass to Pogba
-to make matters worse, Lingard goes in central instead of staying wide
- end result is that Pogba is closed down by 4 valencia players, while there are two United players ahead of him in Lingard and Rashford who are both operating in the same narrow space, with Pereira as a useless passing option

For me, it's pretty damn obvious that we aren't moving as a team, there should always be a bare minimum of two available players that can receive the pass, which should again create two new options, you constantly move the ball around the pitch creating passing options and you move the ball forward.

We're not doing that at all, and considering it's been the case for quite some time it's difficult to suggest that it's not due to current management.

Moriarty

Patchwork team with the dippers on the horizon and us already qualified. Nobody could have predicted a Juve loss to the Young Chaps that gave us a chance to top the group but, if you ask me, Jose knows we're not progressing past the next round so it really doesn't matter about the result in Spain. I'm glad Jonah played if only for the entertainment value. If he plays against Liverpool, they'll pull his arsehole over his head and he'll look like a tired old monk at midnight.

Canagel

Yep good post and illustrations @UncleBob
Needs copying and pasting in more than one thread . It's the same every other game . Players not on same wavelength and attacking moves breaking down easily. Jose and the management should hang their heads in shame

Kostov

To be fair I expected something like 3:0 after that first goal, so I’m all relieved after that. In other words, fecking depressing.

dweb

That was the 1st time I`ve switched off before the end of a game.63 minutes was enough for me.I was mentally unable to endure anymore of that shite.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Doesn't make sense to me. If your team plays well and win then that reflects well on you as manger too.
What reflects well on a manager is doing your job to the best of your ability at all times. Not just when you feel motivated to prove a point especially when your points are generally personal. What reflects well is having a team with a game plan where everyone knows what they are doing, when to move and where.

What's total horseshit is bothering to enforce a game plan against bottom of the league to prove a point only to sit back and watch your own team fail a few days later.

ken11

I fell asleep part of the match. It was soooo boring. My god.

The Irish Connection

Patchwork team with the dippers on the horizon and us already qualified. Nobody could have predicted a Juve loss to the Young Chaps that gave us a chance to top the group but, if you ask me, Jose knows we're not progressing past the next round so it really doesn't matter about the result in Spain. I'm glad Jonah played if only for the entertainment value. If he plays against Liverpool, they'll pull his arsehole over his head and he'll look like a tired old monk at midnight.
Haha, classic!

Barnslig

I’ve had a great couple of days in Valencia - lovely city, warm with glorious sunshine. And then the wretched match got in the way - at least I think there was a match although I can’t really remember much about it as it was such a non-event. I cannot recall one moment of excitement even when we scored.
If someone from the club read this I think they would think twice about Jose. Travelling to an away game and not even an ounce of excitement. If this continues there's only a question of time before the away support stop supporting.

Ed9

I'm not even disappointed. Not a bit. Just numb. We all knew this would happen. Whatever...

Marcus

I have voted Jose out in the other thread. However, I would not hold this game against him. He clearly played a weakened team because United had already qualified. Probably saving the team for Liverpool.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Glad I don’t watch the games anymore going by the reaction in this thread.

RuudTom83

How many lives do these players have, they get another chance everytime the manager changes!

But until United get rid of them and start negotiating contracts that are actually proportionate to there skill level, things will never change.

If you can kick a ball you can earn 100k a week no problem at United!

freeurmind

weak willed
If Fred and Pereira have been performing in training they way they played tonight, I'm not surprised they haven't been getting many games. Valencia were awful, we somehow managed to be worse. And Rashford is clearly United's Centre forward now. Don't know what's happened to Lukaku but he should be nowhere near the starting 11 in the form he's in.

peridigm

Glad I don’t watch the games anymore going by the reaction in this thread.
Same. I briefly caught the first 25’. Wasn’t paying much attention. Turned it off to get some work done. Glad I did.

Devil may care

I think most of us watched the match as a duty as someone else said, back in the day dead rubbers like this were where Ferige might entertain us with a few young players getting a game, but we had none of that here. Basically we don't really have a starting 11 but the team that starts the bulk of games has no cohesion and we have no footballing identity or system, so you can't expect a bunch of players who haven't played together much at all, to come in and do anything.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Awful performance, like most games we didn't look like scoring at all. No creativity or passion whatsoever from the players.

BlueHaze

It's honestly a disgrace we didn't manage to beat them over 2 games. If this was a 2 legged tie we would have been knocked out by this crap team just like the shit that happened last year. This season is worse than the Moyes escapade. Come sunday we will be 11 points off from a lousy 4th place and it's only december for christ sakes. Actually I take that back, come sunday belgien Nile Ranger will come to the rescue, our one and only £75m ace.

ThemanGiggsy

still think as soon as we out of the CL they will sack him. two more games and it should be over.

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 255 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Valencia win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Valencia 1:1 Man Utd
  • 14% Valencia 0:0 Man Utd