CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 2:1 Villarreal

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 September 2021

Dante

Average bang
Does anyone think we could play like this and survive against a decent side? Ole is not going to win us any trophies. yes it is a good three points because they were worse than us in scoring. Their keeper didn't have to make any saves while Degea made 5 very good saves. We got played out of the park. They had a plan while we didn't.
Ole's sides have always been Jekyll and Hyde. At the beginning of his tenure, they were good against the top teams but bad against the rest. Then in latter half of his reign, they been good against the rest but bad against the top teams. His issue has always been about finding that balance between openness and compactness.

I think against a top team, this particular United side would probably look better with the same players. It's been setup to shithouse the midfield whilst relying on moments of quality from superstar attackers. That's going to work better against one of our title rivals than against a team that's happy to concede the middle third anyway.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
You are swimming against the tide sunshine.
We have maybe the most talented 20 or so players we’ve had in the last decade.
We stack up very well against pretty much anyone.
And yet we are high fiving each other about a spawny win against a second rate Spanish side who should have put us comfortably away by half time.
Only one common denominator in all of that and it’s the manager.
I loved him as a player but he is not a good or great manager. Not even close.
We’ll stick with him until it all hits the fan because that is the board’s way but I’ll buy a hat and eat it if we ever win the league with ole as the boss.
You can regurgitate that hat for me to eat too if we win the league under this management.

Tarrou

first half was a bit of a shambles in midfield and Dalot was badly exposed

second half was decent and we somehow got the win, standard Ole bouncebackability really

RazorOz

Hard to see this as anything but paper over the cracks really. It was an absolutely dismal performance. We simply aren't functioning as a team right now, keep playing like this and we will keep getting results like the ones recently, as you won't consistently get lucky like we did tonight. Unless we find form it's going to be a struggle just to get out of the group.

stevoc

Today was their first loss in a competitive game since May (and even then, they were resting players for the EL final).
Yeah they look a well drilled side to me, if they had more of a goal threat and/or their manager maybe wasn't so conservative they'd be higher in La Liga.

Cantonagotmehere

What an ending. Ronaldo!!! What a goal by Telles, very happy for him. Thanks De Gea, what a performance.

Dalot should never play for United again now that we are out of the league cup. He is awful, just awful and I hate ripping on United players.

Adcuth

Just managed to watch the game after work and I know the caf can be glum but I'm not sure if some posters even watch the game. We were playing a new formation with an injury hit back 4, and I absolutely loved it. Yes, the stats show they had more shots on target (1dt half only) but there were so many times that we could have been in on goal if not for an overhit pass or a defensive interception. We have a world class keeper so the save he made i don't think his opposite number would save if our passes had gotten through.

The 433 we played today excites me. Mctominay did well I think as it was his first time this year playing as the sole no6. Mobile, adept in the air, good work rate. His passing isnt always the best but all that needs is one of the 2 mids ahead of him to drop back to collect the ball. His job doesn't need to be playing long range passes especially when the 2 centre half's behind him can do that anyway. Varane had 2 clear changes that he saw the run but the ball was cut out unfortunately.

The formation offers options for different games. Today for instance I think donny playing box to box would have been better than Pogba. I think him helping dalot out down our right would have helped a lot given Villarreal were always gonna try and hit on the counter. But we can literally swap a midfielder or 2 dependent on if were playing against a team that sits back, counters or plays with possession and just adjust how far we push up and I think we'd be fine.

Another note is that we have a few players adjusting and when the whole team gels, and everyone knows the runs and positioning of each team mate. Then the chances we had today that didn't pull off, will do and we'll have a chance on goal that 90% of the time our forward line will score.

One thing I would have changed tonight also was how far the wing backs got forward. They can push up but with basically 5 attacking players anyway, they don't need to go past Mctominay really unless the opportunity arises for a forward burst. Dalot for me, if he's given game time and keeps an eye on how far forward he gets, is a lot better than AWB, who basically is useless in any situation apart from 1 on 1 tackling. Dalot Is capable of a wider passing range which helps spread the play. He just needs game time again to adjust.

Performances tonight for me.. De Gea ( obvs), sancho, Mctominay, Varane and Bruno. Cavani and Lingard were instrumental coming on too. Both could be rotated for different games and have a big part this season.

We need to keep this formation though, pick the right players for each game and let it gel. We'll fecking dominate games. I loved the game tonight thought. Saw so much potential in how we played, but more importantly, how we could play.

For Everton, id like to see.

Ronny cavani sancho/Greenwood​

Bruno Donny​

Mctominay​

Shaw/Telles Varane Bailly Dalot​
De Gea​

lex talionis

Hideous performance overall, but a scrappy last minute goal for the match winner is always cause for celebration. But somehow, some way, Ole has to find a way to get the players to play with cohesion. Right now, what we’re watching is very tough to stomach.

Adcuth

Hideous performance overall, but a scrappy last minute goal for the match winner is always cause for celebration. But somehow, some way, Ole has to find a way to get the players to play with cohesion. Right now, what we’re watching is very tough to stomach.
Hideous? Did you watch it or just read what the caf said?

FatTails

Yeah they look a well drilled side to me, if they had more of a goal threat and/or their manager maybe wasn't so conservative they'd be higher in La Liga.
Had plenty today. Would hate to see what they’re like if they had any more.

FatTails

Hideous yes, and I watched it.

What game did you watch? The one I watched was one in which we absolutely had no control, were lucky not to be out of the game by half time, looked disjointed and kept lumping long balls forward, and relied, again, on individual moments of brilliance.

Maybe you had the Benefica game on? They also played in red and their opponents played in yellow.

Adcuth

Hideous yes, and I watched it.

What game did you watch? The one I watched was one in which we absolutely had no control, were lucky not to be out of the game by half time, looked disjointed and kept lumping long balls forward, and relied, again, on individual moments of brilliance.

Maybe you had the Benefica game on? They also played in red and their opponents played in yellow.
I've literally just finished watching the game. Against a very well drilled team we were certain passes away from scoring at least 4. We had quite a few moments where we were in control and their moments came from counter attacks, not sure how you think we had no control for the entire game honestly. New formation that showed promise, make shift back 4 cause 3 of them don't start when were fully fit. We literally had more opportunities than them, but if you look at the "stats" obviously shots on target matter more to some people even though that's why we have a world class keeper. Look deeper than a team having a shot on target and look at the times we were close to a completed pass that WOULD have ended in a goal. There's more to that game that you are seeing

Jimmyheals

So to be honest that was poor, and we were bailed out by individual effort. While I like Ole he has been clueless 3 of the last 4. This team cannot succeed when coached this way. He is unfortunately the thing holding us back.

Saw a bit of back and forth about Fred at the end of the match chat. Watch the goal; Cavani works hard to get the ball back, lays it to Fred for the cross. CR7 can to nothing but head it back to the middle, where JLingz beats 2 def to get it back to CR7, and then it’s done. That goal was made by Cavani, Jesse, and Ronaldo, Fred played the smallest role in it. If his cross had actually been good CR7 would have buried it in the net, not headed to center hoping for the best.

Ole'sattheWheel

I thought 2nd half we were great against a tough to beat team. As soon as they scored it was vital we equalised ASAP as this Villarreal team are masters at the horrible time-wasting and "game management". Oles subs were spot on.
We were never gonna destroy these 3 or 4 nil, in these European games it's always just been about getting the win.

Dalot was fecking awful though

Alek M

Da manic one
How were we not down 0-3 in the first half?

Dave was God level today

I was so pissed with subs coming on at 88th minute but Lingard found a way to have one of the best shots on goal and an assist.

wish Matic was 5 years younger

Sancho showed some flashes but ineffective

Greenwood was quiet. Ronaldo too

They defended well and we did a lot of sideways passing.

lex talionis

I watched it. Apart from the fight to the end and final score this was most definitely a performance we do not want to see replicated week after week, month after month.

Bad patches happen. Let’s hope we get through this bad patch soon.

De Gea was magnificent, to be fair.

Giggsy9099

Mason needs a reality check. Bench him and put on cavani for a few games.

VictoriaRed

We are so pedestrian at times, it's hard to watch. We need Rashford back. We miss his break away pace for sure. Once he's back we will start flying. Yep, I said it here. He's the missing piece in our attack.

RedCurry

I just don't see either of those things improving unless by some absolute miracle Ole suddenly gets some balls and brings in better coaches
You could be right. I am starting to feel that way too. Surely, Ole can’t be watching the game today and thinking that this is the way to actually go on and win a trophy.

NK86

If we had played the right pass, if it was not intercepted, if our attackers passed more intricately - it would have been an excellent attacking performance.

If our defenders cut out their passes, if our RB was not so useless 1-on-1, if our midfield could control tempo and control - it would have been a good defensive performance too.

Unfortunately neither of the above happened, so not sure why you feel it was a good/great performance. Literally every team can point to those things and say "if we had done these things right, we would be a top team". Those aren't fine margins either that a team just develops these overnight.

Regalia

You could be right. I am starting to feel that way too. Surely, Ole can’t be watching the game today and thinking that this is the way to actually go on and win a trophy.
This sort of jammy performance has been happening through all the 3 years Ole's been here (bar the first 6-7 games where everyone was happy Jose and his toxicity left). It's just that sometimes we don't manage to pull a lucky goal out of our arses to save ourselves. So I'm not sure what you're hoping Ole learns from this. He's not really shown any improvement tactics/strategy-wise since the day he joined.

But as someone else aptly put it in another thread, we have the ultimate 'get out of jail' card with Ronaldo now. So he'll probably paper over Ole's ineptitude, we'll make Top 4 based on the sheer firepower we have in the team, probably scrape out of the CL group, and we all live to repeat this dross next season. So much potential in this squad going to be flushed down the toilet since our clown owners don't understand football and are just happy if Top 4 helps them meet their bottom line.

justsomebloke

The same Matic who passed backwards when we were bombing up the wings trying to score a winner.

No thanks, he has to go
To me it looked pretty obvious that he improved us considerably coming on yesterday. He's our only midfielder with poise and patience and that is what we are missing these days.

Polar

Pretty much all of our problems could be blamed on Dalot,
Dalot had a terrible day, but let’s not forget both Pogba and Greenwood was his defensive mates on the right side. Their defensive contribution were close to zero.

E-mal

Dalot had a terrible day, but let’s not forget both Pogba and Greenwood was his defensive mates on the right side. Their defensive contribution were close to zero.
Pogba was mostly on the left, not right.
It was Fernandes that was on the right, and frankly he did try to help him.
We generally were poor, not a single good performance aside from DeGea.

Godfather

Fernandes should have been on the right. He preferred to stay up top with Ronnie for some reason though.

Ole even claimed he played with two number 8s. Something is not right with us.

LoneStar

That was a bad performance from us. Relying yet again on individual brilliance to bail us out. I could at least understand if this were an away game, but we should be doing much better at home. Also, this tactic of relying on Ronaldo or Bruno to bail us out is unsustainable.

DDG was the MOTM for me. Kept us in the game, where we could have easily been down by 3 goals. Fantastic bits from Telles, Lingard and Ronaldo for the goals. Dalot should never start again, was getting ripped time and again.

Chicharo

There was muck talking about how we don't have a real game plan, and pretty much depend on individual inspiration and talent of our players (Gaz discussed it the other day, Owen and Hargreaves talked about it), and that's how we played in the first half but the second goal came after a proper team effort and it was wonderful.
Fred took the ball, passed it to Bruno (I think), then Cavani, then Bruno again to Fred who put a cross, Ronaldo found Lingard who kept the ball alive at the post, made a great assist and Ronaldo thumped in. Pure and simple... Five players with just a touch or two, instead of dragging the ball around without a clue what to do in the final third.Why can't we always play like that ?

A must win against Everton, and then some serious challenges for the team after the break. But we'll have to play much better

Last edited:

Josh 76

A must win game, which we did without 3 of the back 4.

Last min winner always helps for moral. Let’s move on…

caid

I think the reaction is a bit weird too tbh. It wasn't a great performance and all problems solved, sorted for the rest of the season kind of deal but it was good and we should know better than anyone how bloody hard it is to get a win over Villarreal.
Yes Danjuma absolutely harassed Dalot for most of the first half, but he just looked a really good dribbler with terrible delivery for most of the game. Maybe i'm wrong, i've seen him a whole one time, but he just looked a bit like Adama Traore to me where the delivery or shot is pretty weak the vast majority of the time. Their other two attackers were ok.
We kind of had to go ultra attacking, we needed a win. Their keeper was time wasting 5 mins into the match, they were taking a week over every throw in. This is a team who drew against Real Madrid, Chelsea and us in their last 10 or so games. Leaving space behind to pull them out of defence was probably necessary.
Sure they got more shots off against our 2 defenders than our forwards got against the 8 or so they had defending most of the time. Ronaldo, Bruno and Greenwood are always going to be more clinical than what they have available as it proved in the end.
It'll take a while for some players to settle, it'll take a while for everyone to get up to full match sharpness and their absolute best, it'll take a while to find our best formation with the various players we've signed.
It wasn't a vintage performance, I'm not convinced by Solskjaer but this is a weird match to be annoyed about.

mk7

To me it looked pretty obvious that he improved us considerably coming on yesterday. He's our only midfielder with poise and patience and that is what we are missing these days.
I think that this was quite obvious yesterday. He played like a midfielder and not like some sort of shadow striker. Before him coming on, all of our attack-minded players were crowding the box. More often than not Pogba was in the CF position.

As per Pogba: we no longer need the one player who can do it all from MF. With these attacking options we can afford to have super-conservative but positionally aware midfielders who actually play in the middle of the pitch.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Even though we didn’t play well and it was a tough watch, in some ways that makes the drama and elation of the winning goal even better! Not saying we should aim to make matches that difficult but it’s great fun when it happens.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 85% of 414 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw