PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 February 2017

Fitchett

I've been advocating for Mata, Martial an Mhkitaryan to play together in the band of three behind the striker for months. Today showed just how amazing they can be as a unit. The first half was incredible, mind blowing stuff. We could have won this game 4-0 or 5-0 and that's no exaggeration.

This needs to be said - our recent run of results is essentially title winning form. Jose has really turned this team into a superb unit. Best football we've seen in a long while. I'm surprised that we aren't right up there with the likes of Chelsea. We are playing as well as they are, perhaps even better.

We play like this next season and we will win the title. No doubt about it.
This morning Sky Sports stated that since 23rd October (our defeat at Chelsea), only Chelsea have scored more points than us in the PL.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's hard to imagine we aren't 6th anymore (pending the later match today).
We are glued to 6th place.
The weird thing is that we are only 2 points off 2nd place.
It goes to show how close 5 teams are.

Treble_Winning

This morning Sky Sports stated that since 23rd October (our defeat at Chelsea), only Chelsea have scored more points than us in the PL.
Yes, so isn't that title winning form - we should be neck and neck with Chelsea on current form.

Lord Zlatan

We are glued to 6th place.
The weird thing is that we are only 2 points off 2nd place.
It goes to show how close 5 teams are.
Close if you measure it from the start of the season as the league table obviously does. But for our bad start and the draws, it would be us and Chelsea out in front.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Close if you measure it from the start of the season as the league table obviously does. But for our bad start and the draws, it would be us and Chelsea out in front.

I get what you're saying, we've been in good form of late and our poor start held us back, but I really dislike the whole if and buts thing.

Last edited:

Lord Zlatan

"Close - if you hold us to the exact same standard as all the other teams. Let's exclude most of our dropped points and keep theirs. Look, we'd be second!"

I get what you're saying, we've been in good form of late and our poor start held us back, but I really dislike the whole if and buts thing.
Not at all, only ourselves to blame. What im trying to say is we are more in form that city, liverpool and arsenal despite their wins (not city) today. They all look capable of losing where as we dont.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Thanks.

By the way funny.
;)

We played 4-2-3-1 with Pogba and Herrera in midfield. The caf went into collective disbelief/excitement/orgasm at the sight of Martial in the line up. He formed part of a three with Micky Targaryan as the 10 and Mata on the right. Ibra did his usual up front. First half started decently enough, but then at about the 20 minute mark, we just went bananas and starting playing the sexiest, fastest, slickest football since Brazil 1970. Predictably, we missed approximately 11,457,098 chances before Martial beat his man and squared for the special Juan to tidily sweep home. From there on in we played professionally, without ever hitting the heights of that eye watering 15 minute period that preceded the goal.

Mid-way through the second half - played at a slower pace with us looking for more counter attacks - Martial did a metaphorical Samuel L. Jackson and said "enough is enough". Some dribbling wizardy and giddy screams from the crowd later, he just plonked it in at the near post after giving the keeper the infamous "eyes" (Trademarked 1990's era commentators). A few more chances came and went. Daley Blind did a amusing comedy turn on the left flank, routinely finding new ways to get embarrassed for pace by Niang. But all in all a very comfortable victory with lots of positives. Ander Herrera ran around like a slightly more effeminate Roy Keane; his ball winning skills so well honed, he was winning tackles he wasn't even in for. Pogba displayed some much needed maturity and restraint as part of a midfield two. Oh Micky was so damn fine as the perfect foil to our number nine. And Martial ran them ragged.

As for Watford. Darryl Janmaat played as an inside left forward.

Last edited:

Ban

;)

We played 4-2-3-1 with Pogba and Herrera in midfield. The caf went into collective disbelief/excitement/orgasm at the sight of Martial in the line up. He formed part of a three with Micky Targaryan as the 10 and Mata on the right. Ibra did his usual up front. First half started decently enough, but then at about the 20 minute mark, we just went bananas and starting playing the sexiest, fastest, slickest football since Brazil 1970. Predictably, we missed approximately 11,457,098 chances before Martial beat his man and squared for the special Juan to tidily sweep home. From there on in we played professionally, without ever hitting the heights of that eye watering 15 minute period that preceded the goal.

Mid way through the second half, which was played at a slower pace, with us looking for more counter attacks, Martial said 'enough is enough' and did some dribbling wizardy and then just plonked it in at the near post, giving the keeper the infamous "eyes" in the process. A few more chances came and went. Daley Blind did a amusing comedy turn on the left flank, routinely finding new ways to get embarrassed for pace by Niang. But all in all a very comfortable victory with lots of positives. Ander Herrera ran around like a slightly more effeminate Roy Keane; his ball winning skills so well honed, he was winning tackles he wasn't even in for. Pogba displayed some much needed maturity and restraint as part of a midfield two. Oh Micky was so damn fine as the perfect foil to our number nine. And Martial ran them ragged.

As for Watford. Darryl Janmaat played as an inside left forward.
That's better. :)
Love the last sentence. :lol:

That's really nice to hear. Just seen the goals. Both are really nice. Martial outsmarted the defender and keeper with his shot. And Mata just knows how to put the ball in the net.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
That's better. :)
Love the last sentence. :lol:

That's really nice to hear. Just seen the goals. Both are really nice. Martial outsmarted the defender and keeper with his shot. And Mata just knows how to put the ball in the net.
;) It was a good day.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Very good first half, our best football in a long time. Loved all the chances we created, though we should have scored 2 or 3. Liked Martial, Mata's and Mkhi's performances a lot. Only downside in the match was Zlatan's utter wastefulness.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just managing to watch the game now. Some of the football was sublime. How come Watford have just signed a load of big lumps? I actually like Jamie Carragher. Bet nobody wants Tom Cleverley back. Very happy with what I am seeing. This is a United team I like with a nice bit of Jose in it.

klsv

One of my favorite matches this season. After the final whistle I realized I am getting used to winning again. Feels so good!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Were you actually inside Old Trafford? I was and I thought it was a great atmosphere.
Probably worst of the season for a league game. Crowd got up for the high spots, but the general level of singing was dreadful in between. In fairness, it was fecking freezing and I found it hard to clap today!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Anyone know what happened to a minute's silence today? I was expecting one and so were some of the players. Don't we always do one on the closest home game to the anniversary of Munich?

Klopp_De_Klown

Yes, so isn't that title winning form - we should be neck and neck with Chelsea on current form.
No, when we went on our run we were 12 points off liverpool in second and 13 off city 1st.

We have managed to cut the gap to second but what people forget is chelsea have had a better run. They have expanded the lead on us where we have cut the gap to everyone else.

Paul "the genius" Merson, correctly said "you might not be able win the league in October but you definitely can lose it" Unfortunately we have proved him right and i hate it when he is right.

The_Order

If Martial has had the kind of performance that Ibra had today, he wouldn't even see a football for the next 2 months. He's be kept in a hole somewhere.

Lennon

Really good performance today. Now, the draws at home against Stoke, Burnley and Hull hurt so much more!
We would be in for the title, but they cost us!

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
If Martial has had the kind of performance that Ibra had today, he wouldn't even see a football for the next 2 months. He's be kept in a hole somewhere.
This is so damn true.
I actually like Ibra but some of his attempts at 'finishing' today were very poor.

kr0nix

Herrera was fantastic, won the ball back over and over and over again.

RedMaestro

This is so damn true.
I actually like Ibra but some of his attempts at 'finishing' today were very poor.
He's only human. I actually was really pleased today, he had a bad scoring day, but his teammates helped with goals so the situation isn't as problematic as the start of the season.

It was frustrating to see Ibra not being able to score (even Ibra showed a lot of frustration) but his overall play was really good. Anyway - next game against St. Etienne could be interesting for Ibra - 14 goals in 13 games against that opponent. Let's hope he'll make up for the misses against Watford and score his first hat-trick.

RedMaestro

Herrera was fantastic, won the ball back over and over and over again.
Yes, incredible. Best game this season for him. MOTM in my opinion. Loved Bailly too - a favourite this far. I wonder how he'll be in a couple of years if he's this good already at 22 years of age.

unitedforeveral

Anyone knew where I can watch the full 90 mins of the match replay? I sadly missed the match and need to watch it fully before I say anything..

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Yes, incredible. Best game this season for him. MOTM in my opinion. Loved Bailly too - a favourite this far. I wonder how he'll be in a couple of years if he's this good already at 22 years of age.
True - it was weird how the commentator on Sky practically ignored him

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Jose alluded to what is actually going on with Martial, in his interview.
When asked about Martial's performance today, he said it was good, but this was not the important factor. What is important is that in the last 2 weeks, he has been working hard in training.
Basically, it seems that Martial is weak in training. Perhaps he is not showing enough effort. And this is the reason why Martial is being overlooked.
Jose seems to getting our players to have the right mind-set, regarding training and playing.

Go to 1m 41s:

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
God, even in an easy 2-0, it's so frustrating how many chances we miss.

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 611 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Watford
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Watford