PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 February 2017

Carolina Red

Staff
Coulda scored more but I'll take the win and the move up in the table.

Happy to see Martial respond well today. Mkhi was outstanding as the #10, and Herrera made everything tick. Also, tack another 90 mins onto our defensive run.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
One of my favourite performances that, such attacking football and whole team was mucking in and plenty of work rate shown. Good stuff, well done lads.

Donut

Martial - 9
Mata, Herrera, Mikhi - 8
Pogba, Valencia, Smalling, DDG - 7
Ibra, Bailly, Blind - 6

Great performance overall, but wasteful finishing.

DevilRed

Very wasteful yet again.

Can't complain about the performance though. We really did dominate almost from start to finish. Some of the attacking football was breathtaking, led by Mkhitaryan. His turn of pace makes a huge difference and causes back fours to shit themselves. Something we havent had often in the last few years.

Ibra had some great holdup play but yet again was very wasteful in front of goal. Should have at least had one goal. We just cant seem to stop missing at least one or two sitters a match. Against better opposition we might only get the one chance.

Back four was solid but Daley Blind needs to be replaced with Shaw. If we finally get a fully fit and in form Luke Shaw then this defence would be very formidable indeed.

Man of the match for me was Ander Herrera. Absolutely bossed the midfield and lost count of how many tackles he won. Pogba needs to up his game a bit more in terms of defensive work now that he is given that holding role. He has a tendency to lose his man in midfield which almost cost us a goal.

Hopefully we win the first EL leg convincingly and can afford to rest players in the return leg. Would also like to see us use some youngsters in the FA Cup against blackburn even though it is away from home.

togg

I think people really need to get a grip about Zlatan. I mean, sure he wasn't clinical...but his hold up play was pretty dam good and we have missed someone like that over the last few seasons.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great performance. Should've been about 5 really. Actually the first half should've been about 5 but whatever, at least we got the win. Think that was the first time we started with that midfield and attack, didn't let us down at all. Looked impossible to contain. Should be our go to lineup for home games against most teams. Miki, Mata, Martial link up amazingly, Ibra leads the line brilliantly (though his finishing was way off today), and then Pogba and Herrera partnering each other really well. Just an excellent performance.

Also Bailly is so good. Smalling has been much improved lately as well. Much needed with the injuries. Valencia is also seriously the best right back in the world currently. Then Blind clearly our best left back, at least until Shaw gets into top form. Darmian isn't a patch on him.

Djemba-Djemba

Important win especially as we now don't play in the league for 3 weeks or so.

Delighted for Martial to get a goal and assist.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Fantastic performances all around. Martial, Mata, and especially Herrera the stand outs for me.

Zlatan did very well in setting others up but was himself a bit wasteful infront of goal. The drama queens are making it sound like a 1/10 performance, in reality it was a 6 at least.

Also Bailly and Valencia are physical beasts. Wouldn't want to run into either of them. Players were bouncing off them.

Blind for the most part dealt with Niang well except for a couple of instances, which was my worry before the game.

I love the team we played today btw. It would be my prefered starting 11.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Very good performance but again, should have scored more. Heartening to see Martial do well. Mkhitaryan and Mata were class. Bailly immense in defense and Blind did well too vs Niang.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's good we're now winning games and moaning we didn't score enough!
So much better than the frustration of drawing against weak teams at home.

Will be an enjoyable game tonight now. While it'll be great to see Liverpool lose at home again, the more positive a result Liverpool produce, the more it keeps Tottenham closer to us.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Should have scored more. Still, the win is the most important thing.

I thought every player was great apart from Zlatan, who did some good things but was very wasteful. Special mentions for Martial, Mata and Herrera, the latter of whom I hope has answered a few critics from his thread.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's good we're now winning games and moaning we didn't score enough!
So much better than the frustration of drawing against weak teams at home.

Will be an enjoyable game tonight now. While it'll be great to see Liverpool lose at home again, the more positive a result Liverpool produce, the more it keeps Tottenham closer to us.
Yeah, even if the season was to end today, I'd easily consider it as much better than last one.

LLMU

Brilliant game. Solid all around and everyone up their tempo today. Love the midfield today, energetic and moving the ball real fast. Martial showing his potential and a cool finish.

Robertd0803

Should have scored about 12. Loved seeing Pogba/Herrera and Blind all hassling the same Watford player on the halfway line with a minute left. We played some lovely football and lost count of the amount of saves Gomes had to make.

King.of.Red

well,it could be more than 2-0 but I'm satisfied and very happy with the result and our performance. we get very important 3 points. and watching Martial today is a joy, love him!
btw big Felly played well as sub I think.

Man-United

I had to look at the table and see that we are not 6th for two hours!!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, even if the season was to end today, I'd easily consider it as much better than last one.
Yep, it's all very easy to forget amidst this season's moans, that last year at home, it was almost a given that it'd be 0-0 at half time, and most likely 0-0 at full time bar the occasional 1-0

Eriku

Blah blah, not enough goals, blah blah Ibrahimovic is terrible, blah blah Fellaini ruined the end of the match for me.

Alphavox

This was a great match to watch. Good performances all-round, 25 attempts, improved finishing, faster pace and one touches. Centre backs commanding, it wasn't long ago when I was in total despair over our CB situation. Nothing to get carried away with but something to build on. Great to see Martial smiling, another clean sheet with De Gea showing his awesome value.

Maroo

Juan Mata was absolutely unplayable today. His positioning, movement, creativity and interplay were all A-class. Seemed a little disappointed to have been subbed. My MOTM

opopop

Really enoyed that, only ruined by Niall Quinn and dont think Carragher is half as good on commentary as he is in studio.

The_Order

Good lad Martial

Much better than the our other options on the Left wing

Redlyn

If only we could beat HULL (nevermind any of our other 8 draws) we'd be joint second.
At least we manged to go up a place for the first time in months.

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 611 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Watford
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Watford