PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 February 2022

Luke1995

I believe we will find a way to scrap into 4th. Even if it's at the very final game. it's going to be ugly and nervous stuff but we are going to make it...

We are not too far away. It's just a matter of other teams dropping more points than us.

Wing Attack Plan R

It's always interesting to see the player ratings, as this week again I've rated them higher than the average.

I thought AWB did really well today, looked like he's been working on his close control and dribbling through players.
Having Matic in gave us an additional dose of quality at the expense of mobility. Matic was good but was done about 10 minutes before he was substituted.
Bruno and Fred were sloppy and wasteful, doesn't matter how much energy and drive they have if they keep giving the ball away cheaply or playing crosses and passes that are of no help.
Both times Sancho looked dangerous was when he took on his man outside and got to the byeline. Every other time when he checked back inside (while playing on the left) he drove into cluttered space and didn't do anything. Take them on, Sancho, outside.
The subs Shaw and Rashford might as well not have played, they offered nothing.
Pogba stopped running at 70 minutes. Played some nice passes before then but when he gets tired he's useless.
Lindelof + Varane, as predicted, is the best CB pairing. The only mistake I saw today between them was a loose pass from Varane.
Ronaldo seemingly gets 1 gilt-edged chance per game now, and if he misses it he should just come off. When he hit the post, that was it, that was his moment. Largely a passenger after that.
fecking ridiculous to spend 90% of the game camped in their half and still not win, and only register 2 or 3 shots on target. Not good enough and the full time boos were merited.

Last edited:

Resch

Great game, but CR7 was the problem. Wasted chances, ignored the other players, lost the ball did not work for the team.....

Bobski

Worst result of the season given the performance and quality of the opposition.

George The Best

The transfer window has cursed us. No purchases, which I think is understandable - just about, but it was criminal to let Martial and Donny go after already losing he who shall not be named. Instead we rely on two strikers with a combined age of 72 - and one of those is in his pyjamas more than his football kit.

joedirt87

probably doensn't matter but I did not like how deep Bruno was for the majority of the 2nd half, needed to be closer to the box.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I know Bruno was captain but it doesn't help when your captain stares down teammates after a bad pass and then you do the same over and over. This type of thing can really grate on players and ruin morale.

It's also pretty sad we have no obvious captains out there. The only outfield player I would consider as captain right now is Lindelof. At least he is a pretty smart player, gives 100%, and doesn't make a lot of mistakes like Bruno and Maguire.

lsd

The Oracle
Pleasant day away not watching football or thinking about it at all.

Going by posts on here I recommend it its not worth the hassle watching us like this

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I guess you can see it that way. I am 49 years old tomorrow and will never watch as much football as I used to. United are the only club I will ever support. It is likely I would try and catch more matches if we were competing for the title. However, I am not going to try and prove how good of a fan I am by wasting hours every match day watching a club whose core has been eroded from the very ideals that made me fall in love with it so long ago.
Agreed. I much prefer watching us winning every game too :wenger:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I moan when shitty teams raise their game against us but it feels so much worse when they’re crap. One of the worst performances at OT I’ve ever seen from a visiting team. Can’t even remember any tackles, good blocks or even decent bits of play from them. Watford were atrocious and yet we still couldn’t score. Feels like it would’ve been 0 - 0 even if the other team didn’t turn up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I moan when shitty teams raise their game against us but it feels so much worse when they’re crap. One of the worst performances at OT I’ve ever seen from a visiting team. Can’t even remember any tackles, good blocks or even decent bits of play from them. Watford were atrocious and yet we still couldn’t score. Feels like it would’ve been 0 - 0 even if the other team didn’t turn up.
They could have stolen it in the 93rd min too!
Had to hold my breath for a sec as the stream I was on wasn't the clearest!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They could have stolen it in the 93rd min too!
Had to hold my breath for a sec as the stream I was on wasn't the clearest!
I get that these games happen but I’ve basically seen the same match about 15 times this season. Sick of it.

GL21

Min 1 to 80 too many players will look so complacent when they receive a pass, almost as if to say we are man utd, don't worry we will score anyway so pass it back to the defenders or safe 5 yard pass with no intent. And I don't mean a useful 5 yard pass to draw pressure because we are incapable of that. To much fecking strolling around old Trafford we are not the big boys we once were and can't rely on this it will come attitude. We are pathetic. Last 10 mins its pushing with no plan and clearly open to a smash and grab counter

Hampshire Rec

Utter shite today, so fed up of this team, we have the ability but we lack the guise to turn a game. Today in should have been a home banker 3/4 goals at least in reality I would say should have been 6 maybe 7.
We just can’t finish at all and going Gung Ho in the last 10 minutes is likely to lead to us conceding one.
Sancho should have started for me
Don’t have any faith in Ralf at all roll on May and an end to this dog shite performances

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thought we played ok and showed desire at the end. As ever the problem though was not taking our chances in the early part of the game where we were completely dominating.

I do think we should have had a penalty or two as well, and I wish Ralf would actually kick off about it as though he's managing a real club now where results matter.

OrcaFat

Yeah the clean sheet is worth something.

I wish we never brought Ronaldo back. It might be true that we don’t have better options but I’d honestly rather play Elanga / Rashford and stack the bench with kids until we can get an elite striker in.

killerboi2

Hopefully this isn't a return to the dark days of Jose Mourinho, endless draws and De Gea getting man of the match every week. Props to Ole for remedying that garbage for a couple of years.

I'd even take Fergie's zombie football period if it meant top 4 and trophies (yes it has gotten this bad). Don't know if I would take LVG's brand of football - I couldn't wish that upon any club.

Heinzesight

We played well and poor finishing fecked us. Four or five nil would’ve been a fair result. If only we just had a bit of composure in front of goal. Played some nice stuff and there’s signs of us becoming more of a team. Lots of twists and turns in the race for top four…unlikely yes, but you just never know as the teams around us are just as poor at times.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Have we had the usual grovelling 'we're sorry' social media posts from the players yet ?

James Peril

Hopefully this isn't a return to the dark days of Jose Mourinho, endless draws and De Gea getting man of the match every week. Props to Ole for remedying that garbage for a couple of years.

I'd even take Fergie's zombie football period if it meant top 4 and trophies (yes it has gotten this bad). Don't know if I would take LVG's brand of football - I couldn't wish that upon any club.
Props to Ole? Jesus christ. He is the reason we’re in this god damn mess, terrible manager. He wasted hundreds of millions on shit players and large contractcs. He literally got the sack after being ridiculed by this exact team, Watford.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
The manager is not to blame for that in my opinion. We have definitely made progress under Ralf and stopped leaking goals, but out attackers are all out of form and it’s costing us.

This one is firmly on the players. Awful finishing and mentality.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
One other factor other than the obvious poor finishing was the diabolical officiating by the ref and Lee Mason on VAR.

unbelievable.
Should have had at least one penalty. If it were city they would have gotten a penalty.

Red_Aaron

Wasn't our worst performance. Defended well and kept our shape nicely. We've all seen much worse this season

So poor up front though and you can't help but point to the guy leading the line, he's so minimal in everything he does now. Managed to get on the end of a couple of balls but otherwise did nothing and without scoring he's really not worth a place in the team

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I get that these games happen but I’ve basically seen the same match about 15 times this season. Sick of it.
Yep. It's disappointing that the area we thought we'd be strongest in this season, is actually rivalling any other section of the team for weakness right now!

It's going to be a nightmare recruitment in the summer, as we need a huge signing up front and in centre mid, before we even think about anything else.

MS4

Ronaldo should have had a goal, assist and penalty. He would be praised but instead "he is the single problem"

RoyH1

We played well enough, but the end product is simply not there. I hope whoever Rangnick selects can do a better job next season

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I meant words to express my utter dismay at that horrific result.

Avacado is a pretty word all the same. I mean, it totally is.
I'm just glad you didn't call my bluff about knowing more than those three words tbh.

eire-red

It has gotten to the stage where I have complete apathy for this season. Today I had no frustration and no real disappointment. As usual, just watching us huff and puff for 90 minutes never truly believing in the team.

It's pretty incredible that some are even trying take positives from this because we played well. Watford have lost 17 games out of 26 this season, and have a GD of -22. We've dropped 5 points against them, with an aggregate score of 4-1. Just let that sink in.

Drifter

American
At this stage of the season when we should be having some kind of momentum, two more points dropped to a relegation side.

ClosetDevil

Just going to put this out there - if we're unable to win the sorts of games with the amount of chances created by these players, then not only is this not the managers fault, but it also means that these players are not fit/worthy of finishing the top 4.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Watford
  • 23% Man Utd 3:0 Watford