PL W FA Premier League

West Bromwich Albion 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 December 2016

MrBest

Finally we can see Gaals rubbish leaving the minds of the players. More confidence coming through and more leadership. Players are playing for each other and the manager. We have benefits broken for years and we still have a long way to go but that's what makes it scary, the potential of this squad in a few months. I was beginning to become impatient with Jose but I always said he needs till Dec. If we can get 2 more wins in 2017, 36 points is not a bad shout and we are still in for 4th. Sometimes it's better to hit form now than at the start of the season.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Anyone else notice Romero wanting to high five the one's coming off y'day? Only Herrera did according to TV2 Norway.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We made what originally looked like a tricky fixture looked incredibly easy. Professional performance all round, with Jones and Rojo continuing to impersonate top-class centre backs! ha ha. DDG must be getting a bit bored suddenly having so little to do!. We must now win all the games over the holiday period. No letting up lads

TrueRed79

Total Control
We never looked liked we were going to do anything else but win that game. West Brom are in great form(for them) and we took them to the cleaners. Prop up our home form and make OT a fortress where we bang in 3/4/5 every game and we can go on a long run and at least make the league interesting. Loads of positives from the game. UNITED!

jackofalltrades

Good away win.I'd be disappointed if I was a WB fan as they were very poor. But as against Everton and Spurs it was hard for us to play out of defence in the second half either because of bad passes or losing the ball, usually under pressure.

ryansgirl

n
Listening to Gerrard praising our performance and players is fekin weird!
But he's spot-on and so is Glen Hoddle. I usually really enjoy listening to Hoddle (pity he made that ridiculous bigoted gaffe years ago because it's ruined his image to some extent) and as a highly skilled, European type player who played in the days when hacks and dirty fouls were acceptable in the game, he respects and is enthusiastic about genuinely good football.
His comments about United, including how reminiscent some of the play was of United under Sir Alex, gives us hope that United has nearly turned the corner. I say nearly because I am not taking anything for granted, but I hope Mourinho proves me wrong. I want to be proved wrong.
And I love hearing Jess Lingard get some praise. The lad was always going to come good and some of the attacks on him were utterly absurd and unfair.

NinjaFletch

Anyone else notice Romero wanting to high five the one's coming off y'day? Only Herrera did according to TV2 Norway.
They all did but I noticed it too, and it was funny as feck.

Just sat there with his hand out for about 30 seconds looking miserable every time.

newgiz

Something I really enjoyed about this performance was the fluidity of the midfield. The midfield 3 were always creating space for themselves and making themselves available for the pass and that resulted in West Brom's pressing (even the little that they did) to be ineffective.Also it enabled our forward players to make runs into channels and keeping the West Brom defenders occupied.

We shall see if this continues over the next few games, but this was a very positive result and performance. There's room for improvement of course but I am absolutely delighted that we managed to win this game comfortably, something many of us didn't expect to happen.

Denis79

It was a good result but good performance? It was a poor game imo and we have and can play better than this. Ibra lucky he didnt get a red card, and Rooney unlucky not to score. Lingard could have sealed it in the first half with a bit more composure.
White text?

SalfordRed1960

A good positive performance and a game we controlled. It's been a frustrating season but there's no doubting Mourinho has improved us. Pogba has transformed our midfield and Ibrahimovic has improved our attack. In them we have two strong leaders.
I think this is pretty accurate. Pogba has surprised me with his physicality. He has certainly added something to midfield. Still think he fecks up a significant number of moves through dithering on the ball. Zlatan typifies a Jose striker. I am pleasantly surprised by his success. Thought he should have been sent off though for that jump into the defender. Rashford and Martial are a different beast so going to be interesting who Jose has his eye on next.

Still find so much of the play slow and pointless, lost count how many times we go from their box back to our defense. Not putting that on Jose or his predecessors think it is just lack of confidence in a players own ability.

West Brom was a total control game, but we really didn't look as though we were going to score again. That is worrying. Plenty of games like that over the last 3 years and the Caf has gone mental.

Robertd0803

Lingard just cant score simple goals can he?

Wasn't expecting the game to that straightforward, expected West Brom to give us a tougher test but we handled them very well.

And what a lovely header from Ibra.

m1y2

I guess he meant that you must have been joking as this was clearly very good AWAY performance against a team which hit a great form, one of those games you lose points.. they had a single chance after a corner, apart that we dominated the game and created at least 5 golden chances and a couple of half chances.. what would take 5 games for us to do under Van Gaal - the two obvious goals, the disallowed goal, clear penalty in the box and Lingard volley, that's the 5 100% chances, and rooney also hit the bar and had a good try on goal after a good run and turn just form what I remember, clearly good performance, when your team shuts the other down and create for themselves somewhat 7+ great chances to score, football was also decent considering the conditions...

Old trafford and away grounds are just completely different games at times that's why I think we should be glad we dominated the home team like we did, could have easily been 4:0 and no one would moan a bit

Denis79

We talking about the same game? We had a very professional game. Controlled and dominated a very in-form West Brom and away to add to the difficulty. I feel we had an excellent game. Why I wrote white text, thought you were having a laugh.

SalfordRed1960

We talking about the same game? We had a very professional game. Controlled and dominated a very in-form West Brom and away to add to the difficulty. I feel we had an excellent game. Why I wrote white text, thought you were having a laugh.
In his defense he was probably talking about performance from two aspects; entertainment and dominance in terms of threatening to score goals. There was little entertainment, flashes of absolute brilliance, but a considerable amount of walking with the ball, playing safe and playing keep ball. For all the dominance, how many times did we test Foster. We had same number of shots as WBA, and only 5 on target. But I only remember Foster saving from Rooney. I think your word professional is right, also I do not think anyone will challenge the words controlled. But unless you really are on the transformation cool aid, it wasn't edge of the seat, thrilling football.

marlowe78

In terms of controlling the game, I think it was our best performance to date. WBA posed almost no threat and looked nothing like they had been recently. We made a couple of stupid fouls that could've let them nick a goal but all in all we handled things well and kept the mini-run alive.

Lingard was wasteful on that chance but I like how he works with Pogba. They seem to have a good understanding of each other and can really link up well. If Lingard can get some composure in front of goal he would be much more dangerous. A very good squad option as he is.

Ibra was impressive yet again. Was afraid that he'd be sent off on the foul but on the other hand, it's about time we played with something between our legs. Rooney I thought was pretty good and very unlucky not to have scored. Thought it was a bit harsh to take him off.

Rojo and Jones looking solid yet again. It's a great dilemma to be in when you're wondering if Bailly and Smalling are getting back into the lineup. Darmian was okay for a change, though I still think he's not good enough for where we want to go. The actual disappointment for me recently has been Valencia. Not that he's been poor but he doesn't seem able to beat his man on the wing. I don't know if he's under instruction to play it back in those situations but he's looked less energetic with the ball than when the season began. Perhaps just a phase.

Looking forward to Boxing Day. And Middlesbrough can cause problems but there's no excuse, we should also beat them decisively. For Saturday, I give us a 7 out of 10.

Last edited:

SalfordRed1960

The actual disappointment for me recently has been Valencia. Not that he's been poor but he doesn't seem able to beat his man on the wing. I don't know if he's under instruction to play it back in those situations but he's looked less energetic with the ball than when the season began.
I actually put this down to the player. I didn't blame LVG, and I won't blame Jose for this.

In Fergie's last period and the Moyes era, Valencia used to annoy the hell out of us when he just crossed it into the first player. It was almost cross for the sake of it. LVG and Jose prefer to have players who think and don't waste the ball. That often gets translated into "if you are not sure of the cross, then keep the ball", it is risk averse. Pro's and Con's of both approaches.

Valencia did some excellent crosses earlier this season, but then started the stop, collect the ball, and "oh feck, what do I do now". Imo, he has still been the most consistent player this year for us.

wolvored

In his defense he was probably talking about performance from two aspects; entertainment and dominance in terms of threatening to score goals. There was little entertainment, flashes of absolute brilliance, but a considerable amount of walking with the ball, playing safe and playing keep ball. For all the dominance, how many times did we test Foster. We had same number of shots as WBA, and only 5 on target. But I only remember Foster saving from Rooney. I think your word professional is right, also I do not think anyone will challenge the words controlled. But unless you really are on the transformation cool aid, it wasn't edge of the seat, thrilling football.
You got it right. Im not saying it wasnt a professional performance or a good win, which it was. I thought quite a few comments about it being a good performance as in scintillating football (and in my original post I said poor performance myself when I meant poor match). The football match itself wasnt a classic, and I did think we should of gone for more goals instead of containing the match in the last quarter of it. Our goals for column is very poor compared to the pack were chasing.

Man of the Match

Zlatan Ibrahimovic image Zlatan Ibrahimovic 90% of 807 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 571 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Brom win
  • Draw