g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

West Ham United 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 08 February 2015

C'est Moi Cantona

The defence has been a red herring since Leicester.
Seems to have been, the worlds gone mad though, we have (on paper) dog average defenders, and our least exciting signing (at the time) shielding them, but the issue seems to be the world class attackers we have invested hundreds of millions in, it just makes no sense, maybe we're cursed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rooney needs to play striker so Van Gaal can work in the likes of Fellaini, Herrera, et al into the midfield. Falcao can be benched until further notice.

Todd

Garbage performance from what I saw, then again I turned it off when we went down a goal. We looked absolutely useless in the attacking end and once they scored I was quite certain that the only acceptable outcome in a match like this (3 points) was well and truly out of reach already. I usually have more patience than that but today I just wasn't in the mood.

Di Maria, Van Persie and Falcao have all been pretty much useless for a while now

Next 4 matches in the league are must-win

littlepeasoup

We were pretty abject, and stole a point today. That being said, if RvP and Falcao had their shooting boots on (does anybody know where they keep them?) we might have actually won the game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We were pretty abject, and stole a point today. That being said, if RvP and Falcao had their shooting boots on (does anybody know where they keep them?) we might have actually won the game.
If DeGea hadn't been outstanding we could have been miles behind before they ever scored their first.

Sam

They seem to have left their shooting boots in 2012.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Enough is enough. We NEED to play Rooney upfront and play a midfield that involve at least two of Fellaini, Herrera and Mata.

Van Gaal is getting on my nervous. I have no idea why he's doing this.

mu77

there was one point in the 2nd half when there were 3-4 united players so close to each other that one player marked them into a mistake. they were taking the ball from each other , this balance thing again.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Utter shite to watch getting depressing now not even caring if we win the league. I would just like to see some good football

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Being called a long ball team by Big Sam. :nervous: He's mugging us off but he's not wrong.

WyoManU

Can't be bothered to write a full recount of the match and give player performances. More of the same. We look liable to lose to anyone in the PL. Can't think of more than a couple matches where we looked clear favorites. Most every other team has stronger, faster and technically more capable players than we do. I don't think we have what it takes to stay in top 4. Not getting any better.

mu77

Utter shite to watch getting depressing now not even caring if we win the league. I would just like to see some good football
1st part i gave up on a while ago , 2nd part well , there is still hope.

ManUSarge

Just finished watching an hour or so ago. Let me ask this...can we put Phil Jones back on taking corners? At least if he sucks at it he's not really expected to be good. Watching ADM and Rooney put in sorry crosses is pretty infuriating. Not to sound too gloom and doom but I just cannot understand how a side with RvP, Falcao, Di Maria, and Rooney are so dire. Blind and Januzaj seemed to be the only ones putting in passes that led to something. Something is bad wrong when our answer to losing is putting in Fellaini in the last 20 minutes or so to put his head on the ball. Am I mistaken or was that really the only change LvG made until putting in Smalling for 10 seconds?

acrebo

I couldn't care less what "Big Sam" thinks of us - what a fecking state that man is. Watching him lie back in his seat yesterday, munching on that little piece of gum with his mouth wide open, chomping away, made me feel ill.

West Ham were well organised and got their goal, from a set piece that took a massive slice of deflective luck, and then went defensive. Our attempts to play actual football weren't working, on account of us having another dogshit day, so we changed tact. We went direct and caused West Ham problems and had more than enough chances in the last 10 minutes to win the game. It was the right thing to do against a well-drilled, defensive side that are hard to break down and actually have a very good home record.

The fact that we were so laboured for most of the match is really very concerning though. Agree that RvP and Falcao both need to be taken out of the firing line for a while. Rooney up top supported by 2 of Di Maria, Januzaj, Valencia or Mata and then a proper midfield of Blind, Fellaini and Herrera.

Burnley and Old Trafford should be a walkover but they're scoring goals now and their confidence is up. If we start slowly on Wednesday we could be in for a shock.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Rooney needs to play striker so Van Gaal can work in the likes of Fellaini, Herrera, et al into the midfield. Falcao can be benched until further notice.
Except that we all know that won't happen with LVG. If Falcao is benched then he'll probably play Di Maria or Fellaini up front with Rooney still in midfield and Herrera still on the bench. It's called balance according to LVG.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
For all the negativity, it wasn't all that bad a result all things considered. CIty and Liverpool both lost there remember, and Arsenal just about scraped a win.

newgiz

For all the negativity, it wasn't all that bad a result all things considered. CIty and Liverpool both lost there remember, and Arsenal just about scraped a win.
It was a missed opportunity. It was the perfect game to get a win and get to 3rd and look onwards and upwards. Instead we are still stuck in 4th and have to nervously look below in the table.

LvG's stubborness is pissing me off. I don't really understand the utter stupidity in playing Rooney in the midfield. After we scored the goal I couldn't even celebrate. Yes West Ham away is a tough game but I am very unhappy that given the stakes, we failed to produce a performance.

With Spurs,Arsenal and Liverpool in a decent run of form currently, I am starting to get afraid on what could happen if LvG continues to be as stubborn as he has been.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
It was a missed opportunity. It was the perfect game to get a win and get to 3rd and look onwards and upwards. Instead we are still stuck in 4th and have to nervously look below in the table.

LvG's stubborness is pissing me off. I don't really understand the utter stupidity in playing Rooney in the midfield. After we scored the goal I couldn't even celebrate. Yes West Ham away is a tough game but I am very unhappy that given the stakes, we failed to produce a performance.

With Spurs,Arsenal and Liverpool in a decent run of form currently, I am starting to get afraid on what could happen if LvG continues to be as stubborn as he has been.
I agree with all of that. But just pointing out that the result itself wasn't too bad.

MANU1960

We have lost our identity over the last 18 months, even Dave Sexton, managed a more entertaining product, someone should remind LVG, that his team are playing in the ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE!

NK86

Just finished watching an hour or so ago. Let me ask this...can we put Phil Jones back on taking corners? At least if he sucks at it he's not really expected to be good. Watching ADM and Rooney put in sorry crosses is pretty infuriating. Not to sound too gloom and doom but I just cannot understand how a side with RvP, Falcao, Di Maria, and Rooney are so dire. Blind and Januzaj seemed to be the only ones putting in passes that led to something. Something is bad wrong when our answer to losing is putting in Fellaini in the last 20 minutes or so to put his head on the ball. Am I mistaken or was that really the only change LvG made until putting in Smalling for 10 seconds?
Before this season, Rooney's free-kicks had actually got quite good. So much that he would score beautiful curlers from distance almost everytime he took a free-kick from a dangerous position. Now he is just shite at them. What is VG doing with them in training?

ZDwyr

Considering West Ham's injuries it was a bad result IMO. No Carroll and missing their regular CB pairing? Should have won.

Does anyone have a video of Carragher talking about us? Have read that a few people agree with his thought but I have no idea what they are.

yamo123x

Falcao haters have come out. Let's be frank this guy is a goal scorer and has proved that in recent weeks. Apart from the one chance we are not creating jack shit for him- it is the style of the team that is the problem. Both strikers playing with back to goal- in the first half our midfield was non existent. Valencia cannot cross his legs and all the players seem subdued like they are not enabled to express themselves.

Another overhaul needed- Herrera deserves a chance, would like to see Schneiderlin, Shawcross Coleman and Bale in the summer, maybe a cheeky bid for Pedro from Barcelona.
Ship out Nani, Evans Chico, RVP, Valencia to start with.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Falcao haters have come out. Let's be frank this guy is a goal scorer and has proved that in recent weeks. Apart from the one chance we are not creating jack shit for him-.
:lol:

Amazing. Do people not get tired of repeating the same old crap every week?

pacifictheme

Falcao haters have come out. Let's be frank this guy is a goal scorer and has proved that in recent weeks. Apart from the one chance we are not creating jack shit for him- it is the style of the team that is the problem. Both strikers playing with back to goal- in the first half our midfield was non existent. Valencia cannot cross his legs and all the players seem subdued like they are not enabled to express themselves.

Another overhaul needed- Herrera deserves a chance, would like to see Schneiderlin, Shawcross Coleman and Bale in the summer, maybe a cheeky bid for Pedro from Barcelona.
Why Nani? Put him on the right of a 433 or 4231. Hes better than what we currently have there.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
the point is....

both sides are right.... we create next to nothing but yes, Falcao should've burried that chance.
Van Persie had at least one equally good chance.
Correct. I'd love to see Falcao succeed here and it's frustrating how little we create for him and our other strikers, but a £300k a week striker should be burying chances like that every time.

God I miss Ruud.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Why Nani? Put him on the right of a 433 or 4231. Hes better than what we currently have there.
He's another one that is inconsistent though. One world class performance followed by ten games of crapness.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We have lost our identity over the last 18 months, even Dave Sexton, managed a more entertaining product, someone should remind LVG, that his team are playing in the ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE!
You sound like one of those Britain First twats. I bet you vote UKIP.

Kostur

海尔的老板

You know that he's scored astonishing of four goals for us, one of which was against Everton near beggning of the season?

RikRuud

We could not keep the ball on the ground. We played right into West Ham's hands and not to mention their strengths. We tried to match them for headers in the midfield and the majority of the forward passes we made (bar Shaw and Januzaj) were over head height. It was tactically embarrassing to watch.

Last edited:

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 491 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd