PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 August 2017

AlwaysRed66

Good team performance today, & it seems most feel the same way as my 7.4 for the team was the average, which is unusual for me. Only concern was at LB where Blind huffed & puffed but not really up to the standard of the rest of the side. Hopefully Shaw comes back soon.

barmyarmy

What a performance someone posted that we will have boring performance .

Genuine question guys How can you all write posts when the match is ongoing. I focus everything on match and cant take my eyes of it

togg

Genuine question guys How can you all write posts when the match is ongoing. I focus everything on match
Well...during the Moyes and LVG eras it was easy since the matches were so dam boring and we hardly ever scored. I'm hoping this season that when I send a message by the time it appears there there are three pages of ' GET IN'..........

Camy89

Love Island obsessive

Genuine question guys How can you all write posts when the match is ongoing. I focus everything on match and cant take my eyes of it
I have an ex-chelsea player doing it for me, they all work for United now

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Delighted with our game. Strong in defence, good in attack, some great counters.
Also i hope that jose will continue to play 4231. Mata-miki- rash/martial were excellent

M4YON

Yes but at whose expense? Rashford terrorised them for 70 minutes.
Martial can terrorise them for 70 mins then we can introduce Rashford and just keep rotatating them all season. There's not a full back in the league that can deal with them both over the course of 90 mins, not a chance.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Yes but at whose expense? Rashford terrorised them for 70 minutes.
Personally I'd put Rashford out on the right, in the place of Mkhitaryan - he was a beast on the right in one of our pre-season games. With Mhkitaryan, I'd take him into the middle behind Lukaku where Mata was today, he's already shown that he's pretty decent as a no.10 in pre-season.

Tat leaves Mata out, but happy to start him against weaker sides/bring him on after 60mins.

wolvored

True but did you not see the way he was breathing? Absolute shocking form, his lungs wouldn't even have been expanding. Should never play again.
I didnt notice the breathing, but if you had picked Fellaini Smalling or anyone coming on and playing 5 mins, as useless, I would have said the same. Think you need 20 mins minimum to make a call on how they are playing, as it can take 10-15 mins to get up to speed and see how the game is being played.

AdnanRED

The good thing is we have so much depth and Jose can use so many options depending on the opponent we are facing.

Pogba can play CM/CAM
Rashford LW/ST/RW
Martial LW/ST
Mata/Mkhi RW/CAM
Lingaard LW/CAM/RW

The seasons very long and there will be injuries, on a side note I thought Jones done very well today and if injury free could be baillys partner at cb for a while.

Anyway Lukaku Beast and Thierry Henrys critical analysis of him was spot on, the good thing is Henry is one of his coaches for Belgium.

Matic MOTM, wonder how much or where ander is going to fit in this season.

SapperBRed75

Lacked a little fluency in the first half - West Ham are not a capable defensive side, and I was hoping we might penetrate more from the outset. That said, a great first performance. Lukaku took his goals well but has room for improvement. Martial and Rashford can terrify defences this season - Miki isn't quite firing yet. Pogba had a decent game and may be about to uncover his mojo, which brings me on to... Nemanja Matic - a phenomenal player based on the game today. He showed courage, managed the game, won the ball back, demonstrated a terrific range of passing, directed others (not to mention the mazy dribbling) and was all over the pitch. One of the best OT debuts I've seen (since 1982) bar none.

Reactions: Akshay

Deleted member 101472

Obviously as delighted as everyone else here, but I wanted to take a step back and look at this result objectively. Having done that, it's still pretty much all positive;

That was a physically strong west ham squad and we absolutely battered them. They crumbled like that arsenal side in the 8-2 game.

It was also a west ham squad that for all intents and purposes was upgraded. It's hilarious that joe hart conceded 4 on his return to OT (pogbas goal very soft on his part IMO) but arnautovic is PL proven and Hernandez has some of the best movement of any modern centre forward. We shut them down completely to the extent that chicharito got so annoyed he tried to become a number 10, which was funny to see. He's about as useful in that position as jay spearing.

We have maybe the biggest catch 22 situation in my time supporting united on the left hand side. If left one on one versus a right back, both rashford and martial will reel havoc. I think they both make equally bad decisions when they get doubled up on, but overall those two are unbelievable options to have. I think rashford has improved since last season in the left sided role to the extent that he's now going to offer just as much as martial would. I have absolutely no idea who I'd want to start in the next game. A lot of people justifying martial being given the nod because of a goal and an assist. If that rashford strike hits the inside of the post and trickles over the line, that's 1 (better) assist and 1 goal. What would people say then? It's a great problem to have, and I wonder if the decision on who makes that position their own will come down to who's feelings it'll hurt the least so as not to affect squad harmony.

Why oh why do we take out swinging corners from the left hand side? The first in swinging set piece, we score directly from it. If mkhitaryan can deliver a ball at that height and that amount of curl from a free kick he can do it from a corner. Let him take the corners from the left, and let mata take them from the right. We have an almost 50/50 mix of right foot/left foot players when everyone is fit, so there's no excuse here. Inswinginng corners are just more effective.

Phil jones reading of the game is excellent. He was a huge part of the way we stopped west ham getting in behind at any point in the game. Fully fit, he has to keep starting and I think he and bailly will be our best combination. Right now I don't want to see lindelof near the squad because if he ends up in the first XI, it's most likely because jones is underperforming and I haven't seen anything from lindelof that suggests he can be better than jones was today.

Enough has been said about matic. It looks like we have the defensive midfielder we've needed for a long time.

I'm a huge believer in momentum and after that result, we should rightfully be the most confident team in the league. With a favourable fixture list, there's no reason we can't stamp our authority early this season and get back to having a proper winning mentality and having teams finally fear playing us again. West ham will bully a lot of teams this season. We made them look like badminton players.

Robbie Boy

Most enjoyable 90 minutes from us in a long time. Wished it could have went on for longer which is something which has been rare since SAF retired.

AXVnee7

You can't win as a fan. If you get excited about the result, rivals will say it's only 1 game and make sarcastic remarks about open top bus parades. If you're meek and downplay it, then you're not giving enough credit to what was a genuinely excellent performance all around.

Personally I just prefer to do the former, and I'm very excited and happy over a thrilling performance. But at the same time I know I'm not getting carried away, and I'm doing nothing more than looking forward to next week's game away to Swansea.

The players must be buzzing, and it's a huge confidence boost. At 2-0 I was more than happy, just wanting the team to secure the clean sheet. To actually go and score 2 more goals and top the table was great fun.

NWR

Smile you miserable old git
It was great to see the team play unrestricted football.
I really enjoyed that today.
More of the same please Mr M

Oldham

I thought Mata and Rashford were outstanding today.
Also pogba, Lukaku and Matic.

Andersons Dietician

It was clearly for Lukaku, Rash tracks 'kaku's run before and after releasing the ball, i mean, if it was for Matic he would've put it between their CB and their RB, not right in the middle:

Mmmm to be honest I think Rashford mucked up. He had an easier pass to release Lukaku seconds earlier than playing it behind and Rashford is looking round at Matic when the ball is passed. Also left Lukaku quite a difficult angle. I'm not sure he intended that for Lukaku.

ghagua

Great result and a very good performance. We need to start Martial on left and Rashford on the right. These 2 with Lukaku in the middle will give defenders nightmares.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Lacked a little fluency in the first half
All a bit narrow; in saying that we cut through them a couple of times and should have done better; but the game was crying out for width. Zabaleta was there to be had and we were a bit slow exploiting that.

Lukaku took his goals well but has room for improvement.
yea, his hold play and running lines need work; but I think we already knew that. If the lad keeps banging them in, I'll forgive his failings for now; but not for squandering a hat-trick... 14/1 big fella...14/1

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Fantastic day of course and overall great performance.
Hat off to the boss for bringing in Matic and Lukaku who give us a completely different and much more stable look.

Still there were a lot of unnecessary errors and sloppy passing/defending that might lead to troubles against stronger teams.

West Ham were completely harmless.

JG3001

Really impressed with the team today. Difference from last season is we continued to hammer the opposition from start to finish and we're far more clinical in front of goal.

Having Mata, Pogba, Miki, Herrera, Matic, Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Fellaini (Yes even Fellaini) as our midfield/attacking options shows we actually have good depth.

Add Zlatan back into the mix, plus Rojo to come back in defence and you can see why pundits argue we have the best overall squad, even if the first team is not quite top of the pile.

Handré1990

I agree totally. I also gave it to Lukaku though because those two early goals were gold and put us on the way to an easy victory in the end.
Definitely. It did look like any of our draws from last season up until the first goal. Lukaku is much more direct than Zlatan so will have quite an impact in those games I feel. With proper Serbian steel in front of the defence we might be able to camp our attackers in and around the box vs those pesky low defensive lines without panicking every time we lose the ball

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well...during the Moyes and LVG eras it was easy since the matches were so dam boring and we hardly ever scored. I'm hoping this season that when I send a message by the time it appears there there are three pages of ' GET IN'..........
Remember the good ol' days when we had 9 shots, and 2 on target games?? Always got me misty eyes when rocking on my chair while watching sunset.

TehRed

De Gea - 6 - Had very little to do, made a save when required, distributed and caught well
Valencia - 7 - Solid in defence, pressed well, got forward well but today seemed to link more than provide the final ball
Bailly - 8 - Solid as a rock, needless yellow card but was tremendous otherwise
Jones - 8 - Never put a foot wrong, very solid showing. Seems to be developing a great partnership with Bailly
Blind - 6 - Beaten in the air a few times, never delivered much going forward
Matic - 8 - Assured, composed, calm, pressed and tackled excellently, used the ball well. Very impressed
Pogba - 8 - Bossed the midfield with Matic, used the ball well, got a goal as soon as he was able to get further forward
Mata - 7 - Linked play well, could have had himself a goal or an assist
Mkhitaryan - 8 - Another one who linked attack and midfield well, couple of assists, grew into the game
Rashford - 7 - Didn't have his shooting boots on today but terrorized Zabaleta all game and a good assist
Lukaku - 8 - Great finishing, not so great with his back to goal but an important start from him

Also want to mention Martial - 8 - Continued what Rashford began, good running at Zabaleta, great impact, looked assured

Overall, could not be more pleased Top of the table! A clean sheet, new signings doing great, we looked a far more complete side with Matic in the team. Still will prefer Hererra alongside Matic with Pogba given more license to get forward and hopefully grab more goals as he did today as soon as Fellaini came on give Pogba the chance to push forward. Matic was immense defensively, very composed and assured, protected the defence well and also initiated moves forward. If Rashford could have bagged a goal instead of hitting the post, it could have been a perfect game. We were largely in complete control, attacked sensibly, defended well, and i'm pleased to see that we did not sit on a lead. Certainly looked a lot more like the United we are all used to seeing.

diarm

I'm wary of reading too much into the first game of the season, especially one against a West Ham side short of a few key players.

But that said, the lowest moment I can remember as a United fan was that performance against West Ham away the season before last. We went there with the chance of a top 4 spot well within our grasp, squealed around while their supporters attacked our bus and then went out a rolled over meekly to be bullied for the first 30 minutes. I've been disappointed with results or frustrated at performances before but in 30 years, I've never been so pissed off or disillusioned with our team.

Today felt like vindication for that performance. There was no man in red bullied today - every single one of them went out and imposed himself on his opposite number. We bullied them from start to finish.

That would've been enough for me to be honest but to see the flashes of inspiration and ruthlessness from fellas like Lukaku, Rashford, Mkhitaryan and Pogba was hugely encouraging as well.

It feels good to feel excited about a United side again!

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
That's the most Ive enjoyed watching us in years. We are incredibly intimidating... our brute strength and size combined pace is not matched by anyone else.

High, high hopes for this season. Absolutely loved everything I saw today

Man of the Match

Nemanja Matic image Nemanja Matic 66% of 1271 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 1051 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win