PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 September 2018

Egalitard

Supports
Arsenal
The real question is whether another manager would challenge for the title with the current squad.
No it isn't.

It's "given two and a half years, would another manager produce a better team?"

lewwoo

Think if we were playing better it would be easier to take. I do agree that we might have to watch on while others have their time, but at the moment it will be a long wait. It doesn't have to be. That will be down to decisions made by the club.
I agree it would be easier if we were playing better football. I dont think the board are committed to taking us back to the top. Its all about profits and it is more profitable to keep us just about top four than take on city.

Utd7

Unfortunately I feel we have had our time in the sun for a while. Things change and power shifts. Nobody stays at the top forever. Ask liverpool. We just need to ride it out and wait for our time again. Its less painful when you just accept it.
Pretty much. Dominance in sports comes in cycles. Every major club has had their dry spells. Now is our time. I think most fans can accept this as long as there’s legitimate direction at the club and the players compete at a high level. Unfortunately the latter is not happening.

el3mel

There's no problem in us having a dry spell. The problem is we as a club are doing everything to extend this dry spell as much as possible. 6 years post SAF and we look a mess every where. 6 years post SAF and it feels like the next manager after Mourinho will have loads to sort out regarding the squad. It's ridiculous. With this we can be very well up to a similar drought to the Liverpool one.

johanovic

We are just so predictable, slow in attack and without width and pace on the wings. So glad to see Shaw doing well and please start Dalot as Valencia is clearly done. Wing play is not working as perhaps is understandable since we have no wingers but strikers and attacking midfielders being played as wingers. We then always turn into the middle of the park where defences are packed and when that does not work we go for the Wimbledon approach hoofing it forward to Fellaini and Lukaku. This is beyond pathetic and how long will this go on? I never liked Mourinho as a manager but I supported him at first but there is no development in place and he's lost my support at least. We were outplayed by Wolves today.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We should have probably won it but due to complacency and bad luck we didn’t.

We will be in fight for 4th with Spurs and Arsenal. Chelsea, City and Liverpool will finish ahead of us.

RedDevil5

What's there to say at this point that hasn't already been said? It's shite.

So much dross at this club. Valencia and Mata need to be sold ASAP. Lukaku isn't good enough I'm afraid. Martial needs to go. Alexis is absolutely shambolic. Good thing he's not almost 30 and we're not paying him 500k a week for 4 more years or anything.

We were terrible and could've even lost. It's shocking really. Results like these push more people to Mourinho Out. We were outplayed from what I saw at home vs Wolves. Shocking. And that's not just the players.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Didn't think the performance was that bad today. Wolves are a good side, I know everyone wants to give them the 'newly promoted' tag to make the result look worse but we've already seen Wolves put in a great performance against City and get a point (unlucky not to win that game imo) and I fancy them to get wins/draws against the other top six teams. Wolves are the real deal.

minoo-utd

6 years now and it looks like counting! The club seems has no clue what to do next. There's no plan there are no football minds. Don't know really if and it is not big if we missed on top four? Sack the manager get new one and repeat! Don't know how we can be fixed. We entered the season with no real R.B who can help the attack, with no R.W. you just can't rely on Lingard and Mata simply they are not good enough. We bought Sanchez with huge money and what happened! There are lots of non-understanding what we exactly need it seems. Very sad.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Didn't think the performance was that bad today. Wolves are a good side, I know everyone wants to give them the 'newly promoted' tag to make the result look worse but we've already seen Wolves put in a great performance against City and get a point (unlucky not to win that game imo) and I fancy them to get wins/draws against the other top six teams. Wolves are the real deal.
They have looked a good side so far. They had 30 shots against Burnley last week, not many non top 4 sides are that dominant in a PL game. We were still in Switzerland until Thursday morning while they've been preparing for this all week. The result is not much of a shock.

el3mel

They have looked a good side so far. They had 30 shots against Burnley last week, not many non top 4 sides are that dominant in a PL game. We were still in Switzerland until Thursday morning while they've been preparing for this all week. The result is not much of a shock.
Don't think that's much of an excuse. The likes of Lingard, Sanchez and Valencia didn't even play a single minute against Young Boys and were terribly shite. Pogba was our best player despite playing most of the game there.

Agree they're a pretty good team but we could and should have done better.

Leftback99

Don't think that's much of an excuse. The likes of Lingard, Sanchez and Valencia didn't even play a single minute against Young Boys and were terribly shite. Pogba was our best player despite playing most of the game there.

Agree they're a pretty good team but we could and should have done better.
Depends how you look at it. We'll have had one training session on Friday with the team that played. Like Lindelof and Smalling have been given a chance to make a partnership at the back we need similar up front. We can't expect Sanchez and Lingard just to slot in and be a dominant attack, we aren't good enough elsewhere for that.

buckooo1978

Im just talking about what we have to work with. We could try Dalot with Young behind him I suppose, he can cross a ball.

We need a proper 2 footed winger and that Lozano looks a good young bet, plus I read when we were looking at him a couple of years ago he would love to play for us. Obviously there are others as well, but we neglect it every season.
fair enough

I'd stick Sanchez there for a bit - he can't play any worse than he is on the left

el3mel

Depends how you look at it. We'll have had one training session on Friday with the team that played. Like Lindelof and Smalling have been given a chance to make a partnership at the back we need similar up front. We can't expect Sanchez and Lingard just to slot in and be a dominant attack, we aren't good enough elsewhere for that.
The front three played with each other several times it's not like it's a new partnership to take time to slot it today. They were just pretty poor all around.

Leftback99

The front three played with each other several times it's not like it's a new partnership to take time to slot it today. They were just pretty poor all around.
They have and they've never looked that good together. I don't know what people are expecting.

LARulz

Was at the game and was honestly dire to watch. It felt like the crowd were applauding the most basic of things in the middle as we were so devoid of quality and wanted something to cheer about

JohnnyKills

Thought we did some decent things going forward today, and it was nowhere near as bad as some are saying.

But the overall picture is already looking ominous. City, Liverpool and Chelsea are already pulling away so it looks like we'll be fighting for fourth place with Spurs.

Toad

No it isn't.

It's "given two and a half years, would another manager produce a better team?"
Hate to say it, but Klopp for example came in, knew exactly what he wanted to build and did it and did it very well. We lock any sort of plan, there is nothing at all there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dunno about a shock but Wolves being a decent side is no comfort. Drawing at home against Liverpool, Chelses or City would be a bad result. So even if Wolves are freakishly good for a newly promoted team, that’s a shit result.

Leftback99

Dunno about a shock but Wolves being a decent side is no comfort. Drawing at home against Liverpool, Chelses or City would be a bad result. So even if Wolves are freakishly good for a newly promoted team, that’s a shit result.
I agree I see any dropped points at home as a bad result (especially in our position) but before the game bookies were giving us around a 63% chance of winning, it was no certainty.

oz insomniac

Stayed up again to watch the game, very impressed with Wolves, look fast and controlled in attack.
However, what does Valencia bring to the team, 19 times out of the 20 times he receives a pass , it's passed backwards. Hardly threatens to attack and can't cross, as a wing back he is waste of space and is captain, go figure. Why applaud Lingard for running a lot, Laukaku is wasted without wingers .
At least they pressed hard in the second half , but why on earth did they *** around after going up 1-0.
Really need a second striker with good control, Sanchez hasn't filled the role , which is disappointing.
Going to be a long season if they can't create, which looks ominous.

minoo-utd

The fact is we have only 2 world class players into this team DDG and sometimes Pogba, the others most of them are squad players who can not walk into a top side. IDK and I have no clue how Jose spent almost 3 years building such a shit squad who him self can not implement his ideas with. That is beyond me.

Neo_Mufc

Stayed up again to watch the game, very impressed with Wolves, look fast and controlled in attack.
However, what does Valencia bring to the team, 19 times out of the 20 times he receives a pass , it's passed backwards. Hardly threatens to attack and can't cross, as a wing back he is waste of space and is captain, go figure. Why applaud Lingard for running a lot, Laukaku is wasted without wingers .
At least they pressed hard in the second half , but why on earth did they *** around after going up 1-0.
Really need a second striker with good control, Sanchez hasn't filled the role , which is disappointing.
Going to be a long season if they can't create, which looks ominous.
Pretty much how I feel.

VJ1762

Man, de gea saved our asses again in the first half. Fred looked good. Rom, well he needs chances(a lot) to score. Something that we are incapable of providing.Pogba, I don't even know what our midfield will be like if he left. That touch to set up Fred, what a player.I have criticised him, but we are better with him than without him.

I was going through a couple of threads in the 2012-2013 season for some reason, and people were criticising Fergie for not doing this and that even after we had effectively sewn up the title. It gave me a smile, because we didn't know the horrors in store for us after Sir Alex left. Now, we are at a stage where we would love to get our hands on the premier league trophy in any way possible. It just shows that nothing is certain in football.

I think we should ride out this season with Mourinho at the helm. I mean, there are no better options available on the market at the moment. Evaluate our options at the end of the season and carry on from there. Let's stay united.

peridigm

Feel like Wolves are going to have something to say about top 4 this season.

KennyBurner

I miss the days when the opposition were afraid of us and gave us some respect. Have you guys noticed that this newly promoted scrubs have been coming to OT trying to actually win? I saw a statistic on sqwaka that we have lost six points from newly promoted teams under mourinho at old trafford than we have in 10 years.They know we are shite and nervous all the time and are actually trying to stifle us and lindelof. We no longer command any respect at home and this is due to mourinho of course. He has made us very pragmatic and even though these last couple of games we have been more open it will still take some time to wash away the 2 years of cautious play style out from our players.

Zidane would look so good in that white jumper mourinho wore against young boys. I can already see it. Or Pochetino, whichever we can get.

Zlatattack

We need both a new manager and an overhaul of the squad. There are a lot of players who contribute nothing and offer nothing from the bench either.

If he's still shit at the end of the season Sanchez should be first on the list. He's got no excuse. Seasoned vet, world class at Arsenal, feels like he's being forced to perform at gunpoint for us.

Herrera and Mata too. Neither of them provide goals or assists. If we wanted sideways passes we could sign the England team.

Rojo, Jones, Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling. The weakest 2 must be sold. We need people on the bench to be good enough to push the first choice players, not be liabilities. I see it as Rojo and Jones right now. Get in an experienced CB.

We need a RW too. Look at what Mahrez just did for City. What Mane, Salah do for Liverpool.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the manager either.

Seven Seas Sardines

Best possible scenario we can hope for:

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. Liverpool
4. United

To think I stayed up until 1pm to watch this game after a night out. Worst after party for a good while.

Last edited:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Just in from the pub and know I shouldn’t comment but I will anyway.
Jose was not the right man to manage United ever .Not a good fit.
Lukaku was not a good buy.
Sanchez was not a good signing, he has stifled the development of Rashford & Martial.
When we failed to get Pep we should have made sure to get Kloop.
Sod it anyway.

RedB4ndiT

Didn't City drew against this team as well? If City can't beat them, I'm not surprised we can't either.

Chelsea, City and Liverpool will finish ahead of us.
It sucks because Sarri was available before the start of the season but Woodward stuck with Mourinho. Now no other good managers are available (Zidane isn't coming to us btw). :(

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea are an anomoly in football. They can sack their manager every 2 years and still win titles. No other team in Europe can do this.
Do not use Chelsea as a blue print.
Romans Magic.

I really loled at people who thought wolves were easy. They had great chances against city and they are a very good team. Also the players they have aren't bad players each of the bar two are comfortable upper midtable/EL quality players.

they didn't boss you guys but at the end of the day Sanchez needs to be dropped but he's on massive wage so Jose won't do it as Sanchez gonna revolt and Eddy gonna be a bitch and the fans are gonna bitch as well. Martail/Rashford too light wight as strikers they are not physical enough to hold of prem defenders.

Valencia i feel sorry for. Your entire team lacks balance. Your left side is good. your right side is trash.

United finished 2nd because of Chelseas normal cycle and liverpool defense being shit. Now it's Chelsea's boom cycle and liverpool is on a good run.

You failed to strengthen your squad and you expect with the same players along with a young rb and fred and all of a sudden your gonna be challenging for the title? Liverpool added depth and overhaul their defense and GK. Chelsea brought in a midfield and already had the defense and attacking talent

If the same team finished 2nd last season you really think not adding anything of note to it is gonna make you challenge. People called Jose negative when he speaks but he knows, Every team has strengthened and you guys haven't its gonna be tough.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Obviously the reactions to the game is understandable but if Pogba didn't make that stupid turn i actually think the fans would be well satisfied with the football. It seemed a lot worse than it was after that then when we couldn't get that second goal but say 1-0 and we would be more than happy. Obviously we do need to sort out the attack, but i did think the defence and midfield did their job pretty well this game.

In Rainbows

Obviously the reactions to the game is understandable but if Pogba didn't make that stupid turn i actually think the fans would be well satisfied with the football.
We would be satisfied due to Pogba's individual quality.

Barr

How can we stretch defenses when only the left side functions. Feck there was so much space down the right when we overloaded the left but Valencia just can't capitalize on the space created.

I thought we played okay. Saw Shaw got tested defensively and he pulled through and the only time he failed led to a goal, Fred was great to watch some good passes, dribbles and a good engine that was everywhere on the pitch.
Lingard and Valencia can't beat their man. Pogba had a good match but needs to cut down on those dribbles.

Member 113277

You have to deduct the goals he won’t score in big games though, he’s hardly a 25 goal a year-player. He started great last season against weak teams and scored 16 in the end. I wouldn’t drop him however, we just don’t have the players.
I tend to agree with you, James, but I was just making the point that he has knocked in 4 goals in 6 matches. I am of an age that remembers Gerd Mueller playing for Germany, often faded out of games, looked a poor footballer (in terms of touch), but retired with 62 appearances and 68 goals - now Lukaku is no Gerd Mueller, but you get my drift - strikers can look poor and yet knock in a lot of goals - one should judge them on goals scored.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 34% of 488 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 375 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw