PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 September 2018

Member 113277

He isnt a 25 goals a season striker though. lets see if hes got a dozen by december
If he hasn't, then the case for dropping him will be much stronger (and I wouldn't necessarily wait for 3 months, either).

Castia

Obviously a disappointing result, at times though I feel we played some decent football which can’t always be said about this United team.

sugar_kane

Took a mates spare ticket yesterday and sat in the upper Stretford end.

It was a disappointingly flat atmosphere considering it was Fergie’s return, but even more disappointing was the footballing display we put on for him.

there was so much wrong with it... the incessant side to side passing from the defenders (from my vantage point I could constantly see opportunities to play it down the middle but we never went for it) the lack of getting forward from the full backs, the resorting to pumping long balls (normally straight to their keeper) when all else fails, a complete lack of movement off the ball, the pissing about when we’re on the ball (normally compounded by our static players off the ball not creating options)

It seems like we were set up to avoid a counter by trying to avoid committing men forward but whenever we were on the ball we were so sluggish and devoid of ideas it was painful to watch.

It also didn’t help that Lukaku was awful today, constantly breaking down our attacks.

Only real positive I can think of is Fred having his first decent game for us, he looked fecked by the time he came off though. I also think Alexis has received a bit too much criticism as he was working to make things happen constantly even if they never came off.

Mourinho can say what he likes about not pressing enough etc. but either he’s being disingenuous and the reality is that is not how he’s asking them to play or they not listening to him in which case he’s done.

ZupZup

What was infuriating me the most was that none of our attacking players would go wide and give us some much needed width to stretch their defence... Lukaku did it a couple of times when he went to the right but he’s not the one you want out there. Lingard, Sanchez, Mata and Martial when he came on... constantly wanting to come inside when Wolves were defensively compact and the middle already congested. The last 10 minutes were painful to watch when we should have been throwing everything at them.

Flanders Devil

Obviously the reactions to the game is understandable but if Pogba didn't make that stupid turn i actually think the fans would be well satisfied with the football. It seemed a lot worse than it was after that then when we couldn't get that second goal but say 1-0 and we would be more than happy. Obviously we do need to sort out the attack, but i did think the defence and midfield did their job pretty well this game.
I agree with this. Had it been 1-0 or had we got a second and won 2-1, I think the mood afterwards would be a lot different - we constantly attacked and pressured Wolves for the last 20-25mins. Obviously this is a hypothetical, and a second goal would’ve meant that our finishing/chance creation would have been better, but you can’t say the intent wasn’t there. Also I think Mourinho’s post match comments were about right, we didn’t quite get enough out of our attacking players.

It’s not all doom and gloom, in another thread about ‘will we go on a run’ (or something) after that Tottenham game, I thought of our next 5 games this one was the biggest banana skin...Wolves are a quality side.

Fracture90

There was one interesting thing in his post match conference I find interesting where he said, "Wolves played like I like to play, like it's a World Cup final" referring to their desire but not to their style of play and overall tactics, something they're usually praised for.

From that quote he seems more of a motivator than an actual manager, as if he's undermining the necessity of having an actual style of football, coached patterns of attacking, passing, running behind the defences etc.

Just chucking a bunch of talented players on the pitch, with lot's of motivation but without any cohesion between them, no clear attack game play simply isn't enough.

Look at Guardiola and Klopp, they probably don't need to motivate their players to play like it's a World Cup final every match because their established style of football allows them to be confident in a win more often than not and their players enjoy playing under their system, their fans do, their boards do and a lot of neutral supporters do.

How many of the neutral supporters are looking forward to seeing us play, how many of them are excited if our own fan base is this divided because of our style of football ?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Respect to Wolves.

Only Shaw, Fred, Pogba, and DeGea turned up today. Valencia, Lukaku and Sanchez were unfortunately shocking.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
There was one interesting thing in his post match conference I find interesting where he said, "Wolves played like I like to play, like it's a World Cup final" referring to their desire but not to their style of play and overall tactics, something they're usually praised for.

From that quote he seems more of a motivator than an actual manager, as if he's undermining the necessity of having an actual style of football, coached patterns of attacking, passing, running behind the defences etc.

Just chucking a bunch of talented players on the pitch, with lot's of motivation but without any cohesion between them, no clear attack game play simply isn't enough.

Look at Guardiola and Klopp, they probably don't need to motivate their players to play like it's a World Cup final every match because their established style of football allows them to be confident in a win more often than not and their players enjoy playing under their system, their fans do, their boards do and a lot of neutral supporters do.

How many of the neutral supporters are looking forward to seeing us play, how many of them are excited if our own fan base is this divided because of our style of football ?
Wasn't there an article a few weeks back about how players were confused because Mourinho was focusing excessively on motivation instead of training and tactics? Article was probably bollocks but your post reminded me of that.

Red00012

Is it just me that thought Shaw could have done better for the goal ?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We only have 2 players who are creative coming forward. Pogba and Shaw. The rest are just defenders and look to pass to the nearest player not wanting to make a mistake. Scared or unable to play expansive football. Take your pick.

Fracture90

Wasn't there an article a few weeks back about how players were confused because Mourinho was focusing excessively on motivation instead of training and tactics? Article was probably bollocks but your post reminded me of that.
Honestly don't know, but wouldn't surprise me if that was the case .

Is it just me that thought Shaw could have done better for the goal ?
He was on a yellow and defending in the box against a tricky winger. He could have done better but imo Lindelof should have cleared that ball, instead of hugging the post.

KingCantona87

We only have 2 players who are creative coming forward. Pogba and Shaw. The rest are just defenders and look to pass to the nearest player not wanting to make a mistake. Scared or unable to play expansive football. Take your pick.
I know Valencia has been a solid servant for us down the years but lately, he has really infuriated me. His constant checking back when he should either be looking to whip a cross in or take on a defender is the chief reason. Do you think it is down to Mourinho's instructions or that age is catching up with him?

owlo

Thought we were quite good, bar the front 3. Pogba is sublime at times, encouraging from Fred, and another good show from the big Fella.

Shaw got up the left a few times, Valencia was predictably lacking, but on balance we created and controlled enough against a very good side. We certainly looked better than City did in our midfield unit.

I don't feel it was necessarily a bad idea to switch Fella further forward at HT; he certainly caused them problems. Good goal by them, but could easily have been 2-1 to us on another day and people wouldn't all be whining.

Unfortunately, the less said about Sanchez, Lingard, and Lukaku, the better....

Canagel

He always blames the attitude of the players when we don't get the result we need. It's just deflecting from the bigger problem we have which is style of football like you said. I didn't see Wolves wanting it more than we did. Our players want to win the game as well. They just came up against a more organized and cohesive team and came unstuck. They had more shots than us and again De Gea had to save us. We had a plenty of time after they scored to get the winner and the players pushed for it. Didn't test the keeper enough. If it was a one off result you can say it was a blip and down to attitude like when City occasionly drop points but it's happened too many times with us to be just an attitude problem. There are also too many passengers not pulling their weight in the team and it's difficult to win when we are so badly lacking in key areas on the pitch. Again the buck stops with the manager. He picks the starting 11, sets the game plan and is responsible to ensure that game plan is excuted on the pitch.

Daft Lad

It looks to me Jose has killed the team spirit by created an environment that is a bit toxic. He's responsible for creating a winning culture like SAF did. Moyes did his best to destroy it but I really expected more from Jose. Disjointed tactics and disjointed team spirit. I expect us to go on a big run but I know the team has flaws and will drop points against any team that plays in an attacking manner.

The Irish Connection

I agree with this. Had it been 1-0 or had we got a second and won 2-1, I think the mood afterwards would be a lot different - we constantly attacked and pressured Wolves for the last 20-25mins. Obviously this is a hypothetical, and a second goal would’ve meant that our finishing/chance creation would have been better, but you can’t say the intent wasn’t there. Also I think Mourinho’s post match comments were about right, we didn’t quite get enough out of our attacking players.

It’s not all doom and gloom, in another thread about ‘will we go on a run’ (or something) after that Tottenham game, I thought of our next 5 games this one was the biggest banana skin...Wolves are a quality side.
Yes. One of the main issues for me was Valencia’s lack of attacking threat. The sooner we get dalot up and running in there the better.

Ludens the Red

Don't agree and you're being incredibly harsh on Fred.
So do you think our midfield is near the level of the mf’s of Spurs, city, Liverpool and even Chelsea (with their additions)?
I’m not sure what it is you’re disagreeing with?

Ludens the Red

Look at Shaqiri at Liverpool, looks a world beater. Mourinho's way of playing and Sanchez himself are both to be blamed as far as I can see. Literally a hungry little nippy player like Anthony Knockaert would shit all over this Sanchez that we're seeing, its just beggars belief it really is.
Wait what? Shaqiri looks a world beater at Liverpool? He’s played like 45 minutes.
I mean I get were shit and stuff but there’s no need to make things up to further have a go, there’s plenty ammunition already.

steffyr2

Romans Magic.

I really loled at people who thought wolves were easy. They had great chances against city and they are a very good team. Also the players they have aren't bad players each of the bar two are comfortable upper midtable/EL quality players.

they didn't boss you guys but at the end of the day Sanchez needs to be dropped but he's on massive wage so Jose won't do it as Sanchez gonna revolt and Eddy gonna be a bitch and the fans are gonna bitch as well. Martail/Rashford too light wight as strikers they are not physical enough to hold of prem defenders.

Valencia i feel sorry for. Your entire team lacks balance. Your left side is good. your right side is trash.

United finished 2nd because of Chelseas normal cycle and liverpool defense being shit. Now it's Chelsea's boom cycle and liverpool is on a good run.

You failed to strengthen your squad and you expect with the same players along with a young rb and fred and all of a sudden your gonna be challenging for the title? Liverpool added depth and overhaul their defense and GK. Chelsea brought in a midfield and already had the defense and attacking talent

If the same team finished 2nd last season you really think not adding anything of note to it is gonna make you challenge. People called Jose negative when he speaks but he knows, Every team has strengthened and you guys haven't its gonna be tough.
agree with everything here.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
No it isn't.
It's "given two and a half years, would another manager produce a better team?"
Yes it is.
The transfer window is closed and in January we rarely buy.

So we are where we are and it is JM job to turn THIS SQUAD into a Premier League/ Champions league winning team.

We should all hope he can achieve this even though it looks really difficult but a long way to go yet.

If not he will be judged a failure.....

Ajax Treesdown

Respect to Wolves.

Only Shaw, Fred, Pogba, and DeGea turned up today. Valencia, Lukaku and Sanchez were unfortunately shocking.
And pogba and Shaw were at fault for the Wolves goal. Says it all really. Every player seems to have a mistake in them at the moment.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We would be satisfied due to Pogba's individual quality.
He did have a lot of brilliant passes, and switched play a lot better and more often than he usually does. However, he had two incidents which effected the result directly, the first was a great touch which led to a goal for us, the second was a unnecessary cocky turn in the wrong area which led to a goal against us.

Kapardin

He did have a lot of brilliant passes, and switched play a lot better and more often than he usually does. However, he had two incidents which effected the result directly, the first was a great touch which led to a goal for us, the second was a unnecessary cocky turn in the wrong area which led to a goal against us.
Part of being a world class player is having awareness of your surroundings. Pogba often gets too deeply into his flicks and tricks, not being aware of the consequences if he's dispossessed.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Part of being a world class player is having awareness of your surroundings. Pogba often gets too deeply into his flicks and tricks, not being aware of the consequences if he's dispossessed.
I very much agree. As good as he can be he has been one frustrating player to cheer on.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Nothing I've seen this season has made me change my mind about not finishing in the top four. Yes, Wolves were quite good and yes they picked up a point against City, but this was another lacklustre performance with no passion; too many seem to be just taking their pay cheque rather than loving playing in the shirt. Getting repetetive: but no width, no cutting edge, laboured, highly predictable and no x-factor. No one on the bench with ability to change the game. For instane, Mata was anonymous when he came on, Martial does same old things and doesn't seem to learn and even Pogba holds on to the ball too long, so often trying to beat one too many. Lingard did nothing. We seemed incapable of passing the ball to Lukaku. If this is how they play, get some youngsters in who love the club. certainly should be playing Dalot in place of Valencia. It really begins to look like it's time for a mini/major clear out.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Finally got round to watching the match.

The front three were pretty woeful. Lukaku was never in the match, Sanchez started to finally produce something and got taken off and apart from one shot Lingard did nothing.
At the back Lindelof's lack of awareness at times is worrying.

Lack of width, Lingard offers zero from the right, we need a RW or play Sanchez or Martial or Rashford when he's available there and one of them on the left and the full backs need to overlap.
Wolves played quite well.
Fred MOM, his best game, loads of energy as well as the goal and free kick but was taken off, Pogba, DDG, Shaw played well.

Game reminded me of those congested affairs from a year or two back when everyone tried to play through the middle.

Havak

Pokemon master
Not sure what it was, we just never got going. None of Lukaku, Sanchez, Lingard, Martial, or Mata can come away from that and say they had a decent game, IMO. If that happens, we aren't going to score. Hopefully, it's not a common occurrence. You'd usually expect at least one of our forwards to have a good game when the others struggle.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 34% of 488 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 375 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw