PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 September 2018

TheRedHearted

Our manager wanted more competition and depth at CB-the board "Nope." Wolves score a goal where a man is completely unmarked top of the box.

Mourinho wanted Perisic the summer before this one-the board "we can't spend the extra 10 million pounds"
half a season later sign Sanchez for a ridiculous fee.
Can't say I blame them for signing Sanchez considering how great he was, but we needed both Perisic and Sanchez.
I can't blame this loss on Jose. I thought the boys played well. I didn't see the second half but by god do we need width. Very proud of Fred.
Alderweirald or Kane wouldn't have let that goal happen. that is all.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Yes and it doesn't work like that. If he isn't being supplied with crosses he can't do anything. When has Lukaku ever scored a goal that was unexpected or by taking a chance? He doesn't have the instinct. It always has to be a clear cut chance in front of goal and it doesn't work like that anywhere. The best strikers have to create something from nothing when the game is tight.
Exactly.

AngliaRed

Our manager wanted more competition and depth at CB-the board "Nope." Wolves score a goal where a man is completely unmarked top of the box.

Mourinho wanted Perisic the summer before this one-the board "we can't spend the extra 10 million pounds"
half a season later sign Sanchez for a ridiculous fee.
Can't say I blame them for signing Sanchez considering how great he was, but we needed both Perisic and Sanchez.
I can't blame this loss on Jose. I thought the boys played well. I didn't see the second half but by god do we need width. Very proud of Fred.
Totally agree! A team relying on Sanchez ( current form), Mata, Lingard and Valencia for width and creativity will always struggle. 1st half we played really really well spreading play, recycling possession and getting to the final 3rd. I still feel like we need someone alongside Lukaku.

We played well when Fellaini was playing CDM. His presence broke up there play through the middle. Then when we took Fred off we relied on the long ball to Fellaini!

redIndianDevil

We're still a decent side but I'm not sure Mourinho can take us further. Imagine we'll part ways at the end of the season so let's see.
It's obvious that the next manager will be a possession based attacking manager, why let Mourinho drag our team around for another 8 months. Let McKenna or Carrick coach the team and take rest of the time to vet for a proper coach.

JohnnyKills

It's obvious that the next manager will be a possession based attacking manager, why let Mourinho drag our team around for another 8 months. Let McKenna or Carrick coach the team and take rest of the time to vet for a proper coach.
They're coaching the team already.

HumblePieEyed

No tearing of hair or gnashing of teeth for me, just a sad acceptance that THIS IS THE NEW NORMAL.
It's as clear as an unmuddied lake: Doesn't matter who the manager is, doesn't matter who the players are, doesn't matter what "savior" we purchase each season, the magic is gone, the mundane is in.

Amir

With Mourinho seemingly unwilling to move Sanchez to the right and Perisic's primary role being on the left, what were we supposed to do with both?

Putting our pathetic performances in attack on us not giving Jose every signing he wants is ridiculous.

Fully Fledged

No tearing of hair or gnashing of teeth for me, just a sad acceptance that THIS IS THE NEW NORMAL.
It's as clear as an unmuddied lake: Doesn't matter who the manager is, doesn't matter who the players are, doesn't matter what "savior" we purchase each season, the magic is gone, the mundane is in.
This would have fit so much better in the muggle thread,

Litch

Genuinely feel lucky that we came away with a draw. No matter how good Wolves are, they should not come to old Trafford and do that to us....

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We finished 2nd last season and this season is still all to play for.
You are acting as if last season we finished mid-table and that this season we are scheduled to finish near the relegation zone.

If a new manager came in, he'd struggle just as much, if not more. A new manager won't cure our problems.
A home draw is always frustrating after 3 away wins but remember Wolves also drew with the champions. They actually are a good team and will take points off most sides.

The real question is whether another manager would challenge for the title with the current squad.

There are loads of our supporters saying that:
The defence are crap
The midfield are crap
The forwards are crap

Ok. Whether Jose signed some them or not doesn't alter the fact that a number of our players are not performing well enough.
Yes of course the buck stops with him but surely the players need to take accoutability for their performances.

IMHO one of the main problems is the lack of leaders on the pitch. In addition I listened to the match today on the radio and it always surprises me how quiet the crowd are. I can't help thinking that the quite atmosphere feeds back to the players.

doriandun

The problem with the team is too many players lose the ball cheaply, and there's no width, the former, the onus is on the players, and something that can't be blamed on the manager, also alot of players attitude is absolutely wrong, and take for granted, the value of time, and how easy it is for another year to go by, and win no silverware or league title, 'they lack that will to win', and lack pride for the shirt. For all Mourinho's faults, what drives him more than anything is that will to win.

I do wonder if Sanchez was a mourinho signing, looking at history, Mourinho has always had disdain for players who loose the ball so easily. Sanchez's wages, over the duration of his contract, would equate to Peresic's transfer fee and wages.

People underestimate the value of attitude and hard work, if Martial and Rashford, can not oust an un performing Sanchez and a below par Linguard, then the team has some serious problems. If this was the armed forces, i would not expect my lieutenant, to be dragging me by his coat tails.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wolves are a good side
Yep, this shouldn't actually be forgotten.
They've made great use of their "links" with agents to get that team together on the cheap, and are the only team to stop City winning in the league this year.

Fully Fledged

Wolves are a good side
Yes. There is a chance they will finish top half and as a one off you could take the draw. The problem is that we have dropped 8 points out of a possible 18. 3 away to Brighton and 5 at home to Spurs and Wolves.

We have had an easy start to the league fixture wise and we are already 8 points behind the pace.

piratefox

Not surprised at all by the result or how well they played.

They'll be top half. We're 4-6th at best.

Our midfield is better at attacking than our forwards. Our defense is nowhere near Mou's usual standard.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes I agree but it’s not the end of the world against a well drilled side
Don't you think it can be pretty easy to be well drilled against us. It seems to happen a lot. Shut that left side down because at the moment the right side is no threat anyway. A forward who cannot produce something out of nothing, so if no service he is worse than useless.

IAmAWinner

Alexis, Mata, Lingard, Lukaku, Rashford, Martial. With the form in these lot are, we are not making top 4. I miss van Persie.

el3mel

Don't you think it can be pretty easy to be well drilled against us. It seems to happen a lot. Shut that left side down because at the moment the right side is no threat anyway. A forward who cannot produce something out of nothing, so if no service he is worse than useless.
We're rubbish but tbf Wolves are actually a good team and need to get some credit. They also held City to a draw so this result isn't an anomaly for them.

iHicksy

Same shit as i've been watching since Jose took over, for the majority of games anyway. Pogba giving the ball aware needlessly in midfield and not looking arsed about doing any defending. Don't get me wrong, he's great in the final third and can pick a pass but he just doesn't give two fecks about defending. Sanchez doing nothing on the left with no cohesion in attack. Lingard doing absolutely feck all all game and being lightweight on the right.

I went from a huge Jose fan to just wanting him gone at this point, the only problem is, I have no idea who we can replace him with that can take us forward.

RedMilo

Just back from the game, totally inept second half performance at home again. Lukaku is a shambles, never been a top class striker. Lindelöf a walking mistake. Sanchez has no right to keep either Martial or Rashford out of the team. Want to find some positives but struggling. Fred's goal, De Gea two world class saves again are the only ones come to mind. Just feels like we have spent 000's millions of pound on the wrong players, its a disaster. Can anyone realistically see us winning the title with this group of players, I cant.

DomesticTadpole

We're rubbish but tbf Wolves are actually a good team and need to get some credit. They also held City to a draw so this result isn't an anomaly for them.
They did shut City down, but didn't they get a bit of luck regarding City not getting a penalty or something?

Patrick08

Totally agree! A team relying on Sanchez ( current form), Mata, Lingard and Valencia for width and creativity will always struggle. 1st half we played really really well spreading play, recycling possession and getting to the final 3rd. I still feel like we need someone alongside Lukaku.

We played well when Fellaini was playing CDM. His presence broke up there play through the middle. Then when we took Fred off we relied on the long ball to Fellaini!
Just like Belgium with Fellani in game vs France.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t disagree with you, I’m just less pissed off at this result compared to others this season as I do rate wolves

crossy1686

career ending
I don’t disagree with you, I’m just less pissed off at this result compared to others this season as I do rate wolves
I actually agree with you. I'm disappointed we dropped points but people are acting as though we lost today. We should have won that game and would have on another day. There are other matches that have annoyed me way more this season so far.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I want Mourinho out but I actually don't think it was that bad today, I've seen worse, team put in some effort to win it but unfortunately the biggest starts of the team failed - Sanchez and Lukaku are just useless, bench them/ sell thewm I don't cre but why should they have a guaranteed spot in the team, that comes down to our manager. Questions over starting fellaini over Pereira who could bring more creativity as well but Lindelof is obvious liability - don't understand why we don't play any of our other defenders there.. A bit unlucky with that goal too.

Positives is second half from Shaw and Pogba's brilliant performance - should be a captain now

Ekeke

Defensively we have a DM and/or tactical problem. There is a pattern forming. We are extremely vulnerable on attacks where the ball is cut back towards the edge of the box. Traditionally this is an area the DM helps out the CBs in, just outside where the CBs would typically be expected to marshall. The DM would have the responsibility to put pressure on players and reduce the threat of shots from this position.

Fellaini is once again inside the box as a 3rd wheel CB and nobody is taking responsibility for the space on the edge of the box. Now I personally am enjoying Fellaini's distribution style more than Matic's when we have the ball, releasing it much quicker and simpler to much more dangerous players. And it was a great strike from Moutinho. But we are soft as pig shit in this area and whether its Fellaini or the tactics and he's doing exactly as told, something is amateur at best about our defending around the edge of our box and it will cost us time and again unless something is changed.

Smalling is a good CB and while the rest arent as convincing, I dont think for one second we need them to be babysat by a proxy CB. Especially someone who isnt particularly good defensively. I would much rather see Jones, Lindelof or Bailly playing in a normal setup next to Smalling where there is a DM in front of them putting pressure on the edge of the box and if we're vulnerable in the middle because those 3 players arent up to it, then so be it. Lets see that. See if they improve or if we need to spend £70 million on a £40 million CB in the summer to do better than they are.

Right now there is an excuse for them. And that excuse is that a midfielder should be helping them out on the edge of the box while they defend inside it. Now instead of 1 position not being good enough we have 2.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
6 matches to kiss the League goodbye - in my opinion, it's impossible to defend Mourinho. He has to go

lewwoo

Unfortunately I feel we have had our time in the sun for a while. Things change and power shifts. Nobody stays at the top forever. Ask liverpool. We just need to ride it out and wait for our time again. Its less painful when you just accept it.

scoi

I'm mainly shocked at the number of times we had possession in midfield and there was no pass options available. There were limited runs and no desire to create an option or space for others from the front 3 so it was a low percentage ball or giving possession away cheaply.

Front 3 all had a nightmare and look confused. Need some significant changes (personnel or performance or attitude) here to be a top 4 team

DomesticTadpole

Unfortunately I feel we have had our time in the sun for a while. Things change and power shifts. Nobody stays at the top forever. Ask liverpool. We just need to ride it out and wait for our time again. Its less painful when you just accept it.
Think if we were playing better it would be easier to take. I do agree that we might have to watch on while others have their time, but at the moment it will be a long wait. It doesn't have to be. That will be down to decisions made by the club.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’m pretty apathetic at this point. Many of us predicted it would be a shite season, and it’s living up to that billing. The football is simply archaic and has been for ages. We see teams with much lesser players playing much better football. Nothing about today surprises me.

Russell_eire

My main beef today was the lack of options given to players when they were in possession. Too often someone would be on the ball only to have all his options vanish. Lingard did it to Martial twice in a few minutes and there was that time everyone watched Pogba have to run halfway across the pitch without a single outlet being offered.

This was a problem all of last year and it must be something they are doing/not doing in training.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 34% of 488 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 375 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw