PL D FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 19 August 2019

Jacob

We desperately need a designated, quality and consistent set piece taker.

Our corners, free kicks and penalties are frequently poor.
I think Pereira is our best set piece taker but he's not a starter. Hate to see our LB run all the way up to take a corner from the right. Madness.

Nick7

Appart from the Penalty and Martials goal, we really did not create much. Calling the result flattering is not correct as a draw was very fair enough for both teams. And this was me being frustrated.

Still, there is no plan on how to attack. We struggle to play out of defence when there is some pressure. We are "forced" to play the ball to the fullbacks and they advance up the pitch with the ball and are then pressured with no-one to pass to. The same problems as last season. And even though we have focused on improving the stamina during the preseason we should have been able to improve on some of these important issues.

Hopefully, we are able to play more as a team and the players can play regularly out of attack without resorting to playing risky or blind passes, but I just don't see it.
Backtrack backtrack backtrack. You have a knack for telling untruths.

Joseunited

We were by far the better team, some people saying we looked tired after 70 minutes is pretty laughable.We'll improve for sure through the season.Only issue I have is set piece taking, from corners to free kicks to penalties we don't have any specific takers.i even saw Lindelöf taking a free kick in the first half:lol:. Surely he should be in the box getting his head on it.

Onwards and upwards for United, definitely top 4 material this season.

nainaisson

Disappointed, obviously, but surprised at how well we played. We're an entirely different team now that we've purged the clowns from our backline.

AndyMUFC

Annoying not to win but I'd have probably taken a point beforehand.

Dominant first half and we're definitely better defensively with Wan-Bissaka and Maguire and think we'll struggle a bit to break teams down at times, especially if fecking Lingard is our starting number 10.

Ole left the substitutions late but then we don't have a lot of strength in depth at the minute either.

Ekeke

Wolves very nearly conceeded a few goals. Were they more assured at the back than lucky United?

Honestly don't know where you're going with this. Our defence is the last of my worries and we cruise tonight with a better ball in the final third/more movement.

The issues tonight are at the other end of the pitch yet you're still going on about the back 4!
Very slightly yes, because their 2nd attempt was closer to scoring than ours. Pogba hit the keeper, Wolves beat the keeper but the inside of the frame kept them out.

Regardless nobody said Wolves were comfortable. But you said United were comfortable. We clearly werent because we almost conceded 2 goals, which even by last season's low low standards wouldn't have been considered "comfortable"

DevilRed

Wolves had a 5 minute spell and scored.

We dominated the match and should have won - I’ll take that over what happened last year.

We’re making progress which Is good.
What was great is that we still stuck to passing the ball despite being under pressure and conceding.

The lads have so much more confidence in each other and there is a clear strategy to how we want to play.

Now we just need to fashion more easy chances in the last third. The full backs and lingard need to step it up.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Good performance, it’s a pity we didn’t win but our overall play was good. Definitely seeing a progress compared to last season.

sammyhol

Not bad overall i thought.

Maguire and AWB continue to impress. Very composed on the ball. AWB not scared of getting forwards either which is good to see.

Game of two halves for Scott in the middle. Did the simple things well in the first half but his technique looked a bit questionable when he was put under more pressure in the second. Still, moving in the right direction.

No set pen taker is daft. Ole needs to deal with that. Rashford yet to miss. If he is on the pitch, he should be taking them, no questions asked..... And less of the 88th minute subs please. What happened to a change at 60 mins?

Shaw is frustrating me so far over these two games. Looks at least half a stone overweight. Not buying into the whole stocky argument. LVG had a point. He should't have outed him so publicly, but the management need to get on top of his weight.

Like that James is direct, but yet to be convinced that he should be getting so many more minutes than Greenwood.

And I know he huffs and puffs, gets in good positions and makes good runs off the ball, but we are not going to be challenging for any major honours with Jesse Lingard as our No 10. He just does not have the quality with the ball at his feet.

Still... much better showing than last year. Work in progress!

Reactions: Niall

DevilRed

If the penalty had gone in (or lingard didn’t miskick) then the comments on here would be so different.

Fine margins and all that.

Irwin99

A good point and a fair result overall I think. First half was pretty comfortable, second half we didn't get to grips with the game enough. We shaded it overall but neither keeper was all that busy (besides making an amazing penalty save :mad: ) . Both team's midfields were technically quite poor I thought, so many dodgy, underhit passes. I'd love to see the passing accuracy stats of individual players. I don't blame Pogba for the miss but I don't like him at all in that deeper role. McTominay was combative and seemed to win a lot of duels in the air but again, the passing was so sloppy at times. Lingard was just :rolleyes:

Positives:

• AWB and Maguire were solid. Aside from that loose pass at the end that DDG had to clean up Maguire hasn't put a foot wrong in his United career so far.
  • Rashford was excellent first half as was Martial.
  • James started really badly but got into the game more and more and I was impressed by his workrate. Seems a bit too soon to be starting games but he seems to have a good attitude.

Negatives
  • Midfield still a big concern. We had the majority of the possession (65%) but no cutting edge and too many errors. Pogba won't control games in this set up.
  • Lingard's best attribute at the moment is that he can run a lot. Decent work in the build up to the goal but offers so little.
  • Lindelof looked a bit shaky but grew into the game.

4 points from these two games isn't bad at all. Some good signs and a few worrying ones too. It's way too early to make a judgement on this team but the next few games are very winnable.

owlo

So Martial, Lingard, Mata and James were rubbish but there were loads of positives? Not sure I follow...
I didn't say Martial was rubbish; he just wasn't MoM/ super clinical. He scored a very good goal, and on another day could have had more.

Ditto James, he wasn't rubbish. I simply think he shouldn't be starting PL games at this point.

Lingard/Mata is 1 player (90 mins between them). I can agree they were both rubbish.

Oh, and the other 8 players were pretty good, so yea... loads of positives, on another day we'd have won the game comfortably.

Toni's Left Foot

We have 3 more points against our opening 2 opponents compared to last season's corresponding fixtures.

More positives than negatives for me tonight already enumerated by others in this thread, but I can definitely see a template forming.

I just hope we are not undone by injuries this season.

saivet

Wolves away was always going to be a tricky game. There is obviously the frustration of not winning today but I thought we put in a good performance and there are plenty of positives to take from today.

Fosu-Mens

Backtrack backtrack backtrack. You have a knack for telling untruths.
Fair is fair. The draw was fair. I backtracked on that as I humbly (?) stated. ¨
It does not automatically mean that every opinion I have is wrong. Even a blind chicken can find grain once in a while. And sometimes, even I can be wrong.

minoo-utd

We dropped 2 not a point gaind and it is hard to take. That penalty these subs and that Lingard, we need to win games like this.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I didn't say Martial was rubbish; he just wasn't MoM/ super clinical. He scored a very good goal, and on another day could have had more.

Ditto James, he wasn't rubbish. I simply think he shouldn't be starting PL games at this point.

Lingard/Mata is 1 player (90 mins between them). I can agree they were both rubbish.

Oh, and the other 8 players were pretty good, so yea... loads of positives, on another day we'd have won the game comfortably.
I actually think McTominay had the only poor performance of the players who started the match. The manager needed to make some proper subs and sort out the penalty takers and we'd have won relatively easily I think, Jon Moss or no Jon Moss.

BulgarianDevil91

Will take a point. They're a tough side for sure. Should have won but a point isn't the end of the world.
We were by far the better team, some people saying we looked tired after 70 minutes is pretty laughable.We'll improve for sure through the season.Only issue I have is set piece taking, from corners to free kicks to penalties we don't have any specific takers.i even saw Lindelöf taking a free kick in the first half:lol:. Surely he should be in the box getting his head on it.

Onwards and upwards for United, definitely top 4 material this season.

I love seeing positive replies such as this one.

The result is frustrating, can't deny it, but there definitely are signs of improvement. Really hope we manage to take our chances better going forward, because we really could've had it in the bag after the first half.

Joseunited

Is everyone happy with the Wolves goal? Didn't the replay show that part of his body was offside? I can't believe it wasn't debated at all on the tv.

Gordon S

Tale of two halves really. If you're disappointed in the first half, can't help you there. Second half was back and forth and credit to Wolves who made the necessary changes.
We were definitely better in the first half but we still struggled to open them up and create something. Maybe my expectations are a bit too high but 2 shots on target is a bit disappointing tbh, even if Wolves are strong defensively.

TheReligion

Abusive
Very slightly yes, because their 2nd attempt was closer to scoring than ours. Pogba hit the keeper, Wolves beat the keeper but the inside of the frame kept them out.

Regardless nobody said Wolves were comfortable. But you said United were comfortable. We clearly werent because we almost conceded 2 goals, which even by last season's low low standards wouldn't have been considered "comfortable"
Jesus wept. Banging. Head. Wall come to mind.

Ok. United were lucky tonight and lucky to get a point. There's real issues at the back that need addressing despite all the money spent.

Halftrack

Wolves very nearly conceeded a few goals. Were they more assured at the back than lucky United?

Honestly don't know where you're going with this. Our defence is the last of my worries and we cruise tonight with a better ball in the final third/more movement.

The issues tonight are at the other end of the pitch yet you're still going on about the back 4!
He doesn't rate our current CB pairing, and loves Smalling, so he'll never admit we did a good job defensively as long as Lindelöf and Maguire are starting.

Snuffkin

Wolves were there for the taking. That free kick/corner was their only threat. We looked a mess in midfield. Mata should have been brought on around the 60 minute mark.
I'm not sure why we played Daniel James, he looked a liability. Lingard looked out of sorts as did Shaw. McTominay didn't do enough. Yet we still had all the possession. Two points dropped.

Eire Red United

Surely we should have learned by now that Pogba isn’t a penalty taker. Still lacking some sort of creative spark

Ekeke

Jesus wept. Banging. Head. Wall come to mind.

Ok. United were lucky tonight and lucky to get a point. There's real issues at the back that need addressing despite all the money spent.
Please dont bang your head against a wall, I'm assuming thats why you cant understand the basics of football right now. You've done it enough

Bobski

Solid enough performance in a tough fixture. A few mins of not adapting to what Traore brought to the game at the start of the second half cost momentum. Shaw was left exposed, which stood out markedly compared to how well the other side worked defensively.

Good pressing and shape throughout the match, much more clearly defined general patterns of play than last season. Still a long way to go in terms of creativity and penetration but compared to the chaos of last year it is a step forward. Moving forward we clearly need another creative force other than Pogba, too many of the front 6 are reliant on service, and our full backs lack the delivery quality of the likes of Liverpool.

Red_Aaron

The first half so as good as we've been for a long while. Very composed, hitting every pass, pressing well, scored a very good goal and made wolves look absolutely ordinary and wolves aren't ordinary by any means.

However the first half makes the result all the more frustrating. You could bet your arse wolves would throw everything at us and we didn't cope well enough, we were dropping passes all over the place and inviting pressure.

We recovered OK and retook control but apart from the pen didn't create much. Deserved to win overall but have to take the draw unfortunately.

I can see lots of positives so far this season and feel we should cut them some slack but I am annoyed. That pen was a great chance to take the points you deserved against a good side who don't lose at home very often and we didn't take it.

Thought rashford, James, martial worked well together. McT and awb were solid enough. There's a bit of an issue in that the changes we have from the bench will inevitably slow us down and could therefore have as much of a negative impact than a positive one.

This could well become a great result down the road but at the moment I'm still annoyed

RedAlways78

Let me guess, if Pogba didn’t get to take the penalty he would have thrown the toys out of the pram again.

Maybe he will go in January.

wolvored

decent first half although Wanderers were shit first half. Struggled second half as we were way too slow attacking and moving the ball. Instead of bringing Greenwood on -Our most natural goalscorer said Ole - he brings the sloth like Mata.
We will struggle to score goals as we have no style to our play. What were we playing fast counter attacking? possession? Mourinho style at Utd?
2 shots on target all game is a disgrace.

TheReligion

Abusive
Please dont bang your head against a wall, I'm assuming thats why you cant understand the basics of football right now. You've done it enough
The basics of football as outlined by yourself are a dark secret no one wants to understand.. trust me :lol:

Johnny Love

Rash definitely should've taken the penalty, but that was a great job by the keeper. Like lightning he was there before ball.

Ekeke

The basics of football as outlined by yourself are a dark secret no one wants to understand.. trust me :lol:
I obviously don't trust someone who is telling me that conceding 1 goal and very nearly conceding another is being comfortable defensively. Thats like trusting someone who is telling you the sky is red

crossy1686

career ending
Let's hope we learn from this. We should have put them away when we had our chances, let's remember the class of 92' also dropped points agains the likes of Villa which sparked the infamous 'You'll never win anything with kids' line.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 613 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 23% Wolves 0:2 Man Utd