PL D FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 19 August 2019

TheReligion

Abusive
I obviously don't trust someone who is telling me that conceding 1 goal and very nearly conceding another is being comfortable defensively. Thats like trusting someone who is telling you the sky is red
Just give up now.

Try bowls?

Tony Babangida

We played well for 80 minutes, but we were always going to come under pressure at some point and unfortunately we didn’t cope well. Saying that, we still should have won.

Was a great goal by wolves but naive of us not to defend the edge of the box from a short corner. That and obviously the Pogba miss lost us what would have been a deserved win.

Irwin99

Wolves didn't dominate our midfield like everybody was expecting
Both midfields were pretty shite surprisingly. We had way more possession (similar I think to last season's games) but didn't do much with it, and they couldn't spring the counter effectively when they won the ball.

Pavl3n

Won't say I'm mad about the result. Said from the start I would be happy with 4 points from the first 2 matches.

However this match shows every single reason why we're going to finish 5th this season and it's nice it's appearing early to not get our hopes up.

1- Terrible and useless bench.
2- Terrible midfield.
3- Over dependence on a very inconsistent player as Pogba.
4- Not signing any replacement for Lukaku.
5- The inconsistent quality of management of Ole for matches.
Won't say I'm disappointed with this post, but as I said I expected countless moaning like this.
1. Terrible post
2. Useless arguments
3. The constant bashing without looking of positives
4.The lack of any sense in the points listed.

Failed to create much in the first half when our dominance was complete and undeniable. We closed down the first attacker effectively, we collected all the second balls, we pinned them down in their box but our tempo in the final third was pedestrian. The tactics worked perfectly but our end product didn't show that.
Well I think they defended pretty well with men behind the ball. Whenever we tried anything from the wings they had their side CB, wing back and side midfielder closing us down. I think we should've tried more through the middle as the goal came sort of through the middle (not completely). Martial's chance at the end of first half also came through the middle.

I was quite impressed today that we didn’t capitulate after their wonder strike. We seemed in control of the game for probably all but 10 minutes of it. We had chances and of course that penalty...

My main issue is that we don’t seem clinical enough in final third still. Playing balls into people’s heels and lack of understanding is still there to see despite all the Pre season training.

I was disappointed in Lingard today who fluffed his lines and offered very little. Pereira seemed to improve us instantly with quick decision making. And very disappointed that Shaw couldn’t strike the ball better right at the end there. It would have been an amazing win and confidence booster for him if he blasted that into the roof of the net.
That's not even remotely close to the truth. Wolves had a 10-minute spell after half-time where they dominated the game (and scored in that period to their credit) after that United pretty much dominated the game. Wolves played on the counter for the remainder of the game but created very little.

We deserved the 3 points all in all. Wasn't to be though.
We definitely deserved 3 points. Very disappointed with Lingard. I can think of 3 episodes right away that he cost us today.
First half he received a very good pass between the lines with options left and right, but for a very heavy first touch (Lukakuesque) that forced him out of that position and he found himself facing their midfielders and wing backs. The volley he missed and that pass from AWB he missed to control. If we had more skilled player in Lingard's place we could've had 2 shots on target and a dangerous attack.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I echo much of what has been said, four points from six isn't bad but tonight is a kick in the teeth. Maguire and AWB look fine, Lindelof was shaky but grew into it and Shaw looked knackered, needs fitness work perhaps, which would be disappointing.

Martial looked pretty good and took his goal well, I'd like to persevere with what he and Rashford are doing. James was lively, McTominay wasn't great, workmanlike with very little to show going forward. That coupled with Lingard being in my opinion poor tonight left Pogba needing to attempt to create from deep or marching up into trouble with the ball. Pogba's decision-making could be better but the lack of quality in the centre of the park is an ongoing concern.

The penalty issue is a minor pain, I'd just like one designated taker decided off the pitch so we have no indecision and horseshit narratives developing. It feels decidedly like two points dropped but it's by no means a bad result. Let's move on, let Rashy have the pens and get the youngsters on before their bedtime next game Ole.

Wheato

Things to work on.

-Set pieces are non existent. We need to utilise Maquire's ability in the air. Nobody can cross a dead ball with pace on it.
-Link up play between AWB and James was poor. James was not finding spaces and was too static. They didn't overlap. Even when Lingard joined in, the triangles were poor and didn't get us an advantage.
-Lingard and McTominay shouldn't be in the same line up. Need Gomes or Andreas to add some creativity, as we are too reliant on Pogba to make everything happen.
-Subs need to be brought on earlier. Rashford a Lingard were struggling from 60 minutes. It is early in the season, so match fitness takes time.
-Playing out from the back. Although this is better than a goalkeeper just hoofing into space, Wolves started man marking our defenders, so playing out to them was risky. Need to have a back up plan.
-Martial and Rashford showed flashes of something, but it needs work. We should try a front 3 of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. I think they would add more balance and more of a goal threat.
-Gomes needs to be tried in the Lingard position. I think he has more in his locker going forward, maybe not as good at the high press, but Lingard was done after the first half.

It is early doors, but we can all agree that this is an improved team, but there is still work to be done.

Cathy Ferguson

We are definately making progress since last season and look more solid defensively. Frustrating to see the misses from Lingard and Pogba, and frustrating to realize the lack of attacking depth on the bench in the shape of Mata, Pereira and a 17 year old kid. That will hurt us in the long run. Arsenal brought in Pepe and Ceballos, even though there defence is suspect. MoM AWB.

Paul778

Two shots on target. Two....

We're still playing crab like football. Back and sideways. The only one in midfield who is prepare to take the ball turn and move it quickly forward is Pogba. Everyone else just does the 1 touch stuff back to the defenders or McT.

Need olden days Keane to give them a bollocking and tell them they're at Man Utd now and not to bottle doing something difficult.

Ekeke

Just give up now.

Try bowls?
Okay its good you do. Glad you gave up the fantasy that being a whisker away from conceding a 2nd goal is somehow being comfortable defensively.

Ridiculous statements like that only come about when someone starts off with their agenda, ie "I like our CBs" and then tries to make an argument that supports it, even when one doesn't exist instead of just watching the match and being honest, and then coming to a conclusion thats supported by all the evidence you just witnessed.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Would have taken the draw before kick-off. But the manner of the draw is what pisses most off. Could have won it.

Still areas to address. Set pieces are woeful. How the feck do we allow Rashford to first of all have a strike from close to the sideline 30 yards out, when we have someone like Maguire who could cause trouble in the box?

Never mind the peno fiasco, corners and frees have been an afterthought for years.

el3mel

Won't say I'm disappointed with this post, but as I said I expected countless moaning like this.
1. Terrible post
2. Useless arguments
3. The constant bashing without looking of positives
4.The lack of any sense in the points listed.
I don't know what you want.

TheReligion

Abusive
Okay its good you do. Glad you gave up the fantasy that being a whisker away from conceding a 2nd goal is somehow being comfortable defensively.

Ridiculous statements like that only come about when someone starts off with their agenda, ie "I like our CBs" and then tries to make an argument that supports it, even when one doesn't exist instead of just watching the match and being honest, and then coming to a conclusion thats supported by all the evidence you just witnessed.
You're rambling again. Go to bed mate. I have no agenda and I'm happy with our new look back four and composed style.

If you don't I feel sorry for you.

reddevil80

Should have won but again, didn't. I must be wayching a diffrerent game to eveeyone else. Martial, yet again, lost the ball a heck of a lot more than everyone else and yet people are voting him higher than everyone else. Pretty average performance with seriously poor penetration. Too often we didn't drive when we had the chance. Dan James has a load of growing to do and he must pack that diving shit in. However, bonus point, still no Young as a replacement so that was a good sight to not see. Would've preferred and we deserved the 3 points but ah well.

Ekeke

You're rambling again. Go to bed mate. I have no agenda and I'm happy with our new look back four and composed style.

If you don't I feel sorry for you.
"I'm happy" - "if you dont" :lol:

Someone else is rambling? You're drunk. Sort yourself out

edgar allan

That comment was tongue in cheek to be fair. We had a pleyer sent off the last two times we faced them, one go rescinded and today we had to watch Moss bumble his way through a game.
Couldn't blame him for tonight's result even if he got a good few wrong.

tony54

I’d marked this match out to be able to judge where we stand compared to last season.
On balance we look a much improved side despite the result. Wolves are one of the most difficult teams to face in the league, particularly at the Molineux. Obviously our defense has improved, Maguire is such a calming influence and Wan Bissaka is an absolute beast (he can play a bit as well). Also thought Pogba produced a more mature display and was mostly effective. Martial looks at home in the no. 9 position. All in all plenty of reasons to be optimistic, top 4 definitely on the cards as long as we avoid too many injuries to certain players.
Wolves had a 5 minute spell and scored.

We dominated the match and should have won - I’ll take that over what happened last year.

We’re making progress which Is good.
Dominating a game doesnt always bring results. It's goals that wins game and our efforts in the final third are still woeful. Look, I 'd like mu to win as much as anyone but
You can't hide the fact that were are not creative enough and don't have clinical finishers. Although I'm sure martial would do a lot better with creativity behind him.

kirk buttercup

Signs of improvement. This is not a quick fix as Ole said and I tend to agree with him . Well done lads now let's kick on . We controlled most of that game and played some decent football still need a bit of creativity but we are going in the right direction

owlo

I actually think McTominay had the only poor performance of the players who started the match. The manager needed to make some proper subs and sort out the penalty takers and we'd have won relatively easily I think, Jon Moss or no Jon Moss.
I'm a bit wary of judging/defending McTominay as I have a bit of a soft spot for him, so may not be objective. Though he did quietly okayish though. If nitpicking, I thought Shaw could have been better. I'll say for James, he worked damned hard and put in the extra mile of effort.

Agree on the penalty, though it could happen to anyone. The manager has left us up the creek without a paddle really in terms of the squad. To put yourself in a position where you are starting James on gameweek 2, and relying on Greenwood for winning goals is not okay. These kids need developed not relied upon. Who are our creative/forward backups supposed to be even??

I even feel that Fellaini for Lingard with todays tactics would have worked nicely. What subs would you have made to change things considering our bench? Gomes probably would have been my choice, but he wasn't even on the bench....I'd possibly have put Greenwood on earlier, but that's clutching at straws.

End of the day, we lost [the 2 points] to a wonder strike, a missed penalty, and perhaps substandard in game management. We did okay.

kidbob

I'll reiterate that Gomes is the missing piece to properly control games in moments like this. He should play all games except City and Pool because he has more on the ball. He's the one that could turned our dominance into creativity. We trusted Ronaldo and Rooney at that age so why not him? Football made for lads his size to draw fouls nowadays.

Infra-red

An easy way to take points off us this season will be letting us have lots of the ball - we have no idea what to do with it.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Dominating a game doesnt always bring results. It's goals that wins game and our efforts in the final third are still woeful. Look, I 'd like mu to win as much as anyone but
You can't hide the fact that were are not creative enough and don't have clinical finishers. Although I'm sure martial would do a lot better with creativity behind him.
I’m not hiding anything. Yes we still lack some creativity and our squad looks a little thin here & there. We’re still a long way off seriously challenging for the title. But you can also see the foundations of a very good side there in the long run.

TheRedHearted

We played fantastic that first half. Wolves fans and crowd are ruthless and James wasn’t up to that type of environment. He has the speed but for some reason he’s still sending the ball straight into the shins of the defenders. But that first half we were so compact yet quick and energetic. Loved to see that.

Pogba switched it off once he missed. He was so defeated. Love to see how much he cares but still- we need to stop giving up when we still have a chance.

I thought the subs were going to come on at the 67th. And never would have imagined Mata.

Shocked we can’t get a corner to Harry

tony54

Things to work on.

-Set pieces are non existent. We need to utilise Maquire's ability in the air. Nobody can cross a dead ball with pace on it.
-Link up play between AWB and James was poor. James was not finding spaces and was too static. They didn't overlap. Even when Lingard joined in, the triangles were poor and didn't get us an advantage.
-Lingard and McTominay shouldn't be in the same line up. Need Gomes or Andreas to add some creativity, as we are too reliant on Pogba to make everything happen.
-Subs need to be brought on earlier. Rashford a Lingard were struggling from 60 minutes. It is early in the season, so match fitness takes time.
-Playing out from the back. Although this is better than a goalkeeper just hoofing into space, Wolves started man marking our defenders, so playing out to them was risky. Need to have a back up plan.
-Martial and Rashford showed flashes of something, but it needs work. We should try a front 3 of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. I think they would add more balance and more of a goal threat.
-Gomes needs to be tried in the Lingard position. I think he has more in his locker going forward, maybe not as good at the high press, but Lingard was done after the first half.

It is early doors, but we can all agree that this is an improved team, but there is still work to be done.
A good positive resume, send it to Olly. I do think Greenwood should be brought on regularly as a sub with a good 30 minutes spell, he seems to have good aggression and his finish is clinical.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
After cooling down I’m not as annoyed, thought it was a proper away performance for the most part. We defended well and kept the ball way better than usual.

Only disappointment was the final third where we were no where near creative enough, let’s be honest we’re not title competitors this season season, so I don’t expect that much this season. There are big positives to takeaway for sure.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Disappointing, we really should have won, but can't fault the players too much. We dominated most of the game.

Sentient Meat

Well, that was painful. Only because we dominated the game at the beginning and then came the fluke goal and the missed penalty. I don't think Pogba should take the penalties until he confirms his long term commitment to the team... it's not that he didn't deserve to take it, or that he wasn't trying but I'd still rather Martial or Rashford take it with the game tied or down by one.

Good effort, but it should have been three.

SaintMuppet

Work in progress. But the point is there is some progress. It won’t happen overnight so please get that out of your heads.

The FB/wide player relationships are way better. People bitch about Shaw but he played a part in our goal. James needs to stop falling over so much unless it’s near the opposition goal. He also needs some crossing practice. Greenwood there for me.

Penalties should have one taker. It should be the best taker who is happy to take them. That is not Pogba.

The defense looks so much more comfortable now.

The problems really are midfield but we all knew that long before this game.

We are not winning the league this year. Let’s aim for top 4 and start there. Onward and hopefully upward.

7/10

Edit: Ole seems confused around substitutions and in game changes. This worries me a bit. Greenwood needs 15 minutes at least.

tony54

I’m not hiding anything. Yes we still lack some creativity and our squad looks a little thin here & there. We’re still a long way off seriously challenging for the title. But you can also see the foundations of a very good side there in the long run.
Maybe in the long run is the clue here. Still 4 or 5 players needed yet. Oh, for another Keano.

Walters_19_MuFc

Was definitely two points dropped, but this time last season, we'd have been saying we were lucky to get the draw, so the improvement is there to see.

First half, we completely dominated. Controlled the game both on and off it. They were hard to break down, which was to be expected, but some quick interplay meant we were able to break them down, courtesy of a great finish from Martial.

Second half, Wolves were a bit better. Pressed a bit higher and put us under more pressure, but at no point did I feel like we were going to concede.

Even after the goal, we composed ourselves and continued to try and break them down.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to take our chances, especially the penalty, but as I said, the improvement is there to see.

Going forward, I'm hoping we can continue to show the energy we showed tonight.

WireMUFC

Pogba scores the pen we win the game, 4 points from Chelsea and Wolves away I’m happy, on to the next one. Level on points with City and Spurs, 2 points behind Liverpool and Arsenal who play each other next week and 3 clear of Chelsea.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Frustrating result.
For the most part there was only one team in it though.

It brings us down to reality a bit more though after a good win v Chelsea even though I think the result flattered us. A draw away to Wolves is a solid result, although I think it highlights the problems with us still.

We conceded to a great goal, which aside from that, I think defensively we played well.
Up front Martial had one real chance and put it away, the problem is, we didn't create anything else, which is what we all knew was our weakness.
Pogba does the risky stuff, although doesn't come off too much, McTominay plays way way safe with every pass of the ball and Lingard just, well is Lingard.

Two of the better chances we created as potentials were the ones that Lingard mishit and one played into him that he mis-controlled I think, cant quite fully remember now, but a better play in that position would just offer so much more to the team.

That being said, away to Wolves will be a difficult match for a lot of teams, it's not a bad result at all.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Decent point although we deserved more from the game. Small margins. I thought it was a decent penalty from Pogba. Credit to Patricio instead of criticising Pogba.

Wolves had 15 good minutes. However, we bossed the game for 75 minutes.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
To add to my point, it also highlights our weakness in depth.
Mata coming on isn't a positive move anymore, and it took until the 88th minute to bring on Pereira and Greenwood.

I think outside our 11, with have some prospects, but no real game changers

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 613 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd