PL D FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 19 August 2019

thomas porter

I thought we played very well in the 1st half and controlled the game. Wolves were far too complacent and clearly the message at halftime was to press higher up the field, get it wide to Traore, and make United make mistakes. They had a good 15 minute spell and hit the post and scored the equalizer. Absolutely no excuses for leaving Neves unmarked and huge blunder.

The last 20-30 minutes Pogba did so well to get the pk and then should have let Rashford take it. You could see that he was upset to let the team down at the end of the game.

I also thought Ole should have brought Greenwood on sooner for Daniel James. We needed more of a goalscoring threat and James had also already picked up a yellow card. It would have been a sensible change to make to counter Wolves good spell.

I also am disappointed Angel Gomes isn't getting a look in the first xi. He's got a ton of talent and imo is our best #10. He could add the creativity and quality we lack right in the final third.

Reactions: SteveJ

lex talionis

The more I watch it the more frustrating the result is. Beyond everything that's already been written here, one player who deserves special slagging in Lingard. A decent player to have in the squad, he just don't have enough in his game to deserve being a regular starter.

It's too late to bring anyone in, but could we not give Alexis a run at 10 before the transfer window closes? Can a fully fit Alexis seriously not be up to the standard of Lingard?

ExoduS

I like some positivity here, but I am very concerned. After Wolves scored we were disorganized and clueless. We just don't have coherence and compactness that successful teams to have. I've seen our defenders trying to build up a play and getting frustrated because no one is opening to receive a ball. Everyone seemed to either wait for a ball or they were running away from the ball. No freaking off the ball movement and no coherent build up play.
Yeah, Pogba didn't score from the penalty kick... I am sad, but he at least didn't miss the entire goal. That's what I hate the most. Also, Rashford proved that he is a better penalty taker and I think if Pogba wasn't the one to be awarded the penalty, he would take it.

Again, my concern is our lack of success in attack after Wolves scored. We had 30+ minutes to do something and we didn't create 1 real chance. There were few half chances you could say, but not a single concise attack.

Tarrou

to be honest I'm fairly happy with the performance, but..

absolutely criminal to change the penalty taker there, what the feck are we playing at?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A good penalty and we win a very difficult away game. Silly decision to let Pogba take it. Knew he'd miss. Could have been a big result. But at the same it's not a bad point.

manunited1919

My impression from this game:
  • Pogba playing too deep, don’t we want him more involved in attack rather than buildup?
  • James shows some promise but is sooo light-weight. He shouldn’t be starting games. Compare James constant falling to the floor to Adame Traore creating chaos in our defence.
  • What needs to happen for Lingard to be dropped to the bench?
  • Unlucky not scoring the penalty, but not such a bad deal that Pogba wants to take a penalty. He seems well motivated to play for us.
  • 5 minutes for Andreas & Greenwood, why wait so late for the changes.
  • Jesse and James at the same time makes our football in the final third very broken.
  • Our defense couldn’t really deal well with Adame Traore, every time they wanted they came down our right. We need another Wan Bissaka to replace Shaw.

Foxbatt

To be honest I expected this at half time. People say we played well in the first half. We had possession and Martial had a second chance due to a mistake by their defender and another good recovery by their defender but we were not playing well in opening up Wolves. We were running into Cul de sacs.
Ole does not know how to bring about changes during the games or else he would not have brought on Mata. He would have taken Lingard and James off sooner as he should have seen that Pogba needed to move further forward and a two man midfield is eventually going to be knackered against a 5 man midfield.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Last season we picked up 1 point from Chelsea at home and Wolves away.

We're a work in progress and the improvement is there to be seen.

Judas

Open to offers
Found McTominay extremely frustrating, he's technically nowhere near the level we should inspire to be, so untidy on the ball. Shows flashes of good stuff, but so many moments where he doesn't do the basics right.

He might come good, but I still remain far from convinced he will or should be a longterm starter. For now we've no choice though.

Ole's in game management still seems average to me, but that's a whole other annoying topic.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
So; post transfer deadline day we all realised that we will have to make do with what we've got and that means we play the season (not withstanding the January transfer window) with one midfield "superstar", two "oldies" and a few "young un's" that we pray exceed expectations.

We also realise we're optimistically playing for third spot but Spurs are most likely candidates for that. Chelsea, Arsenal & us are left fighting it out for fourth through sixth.

There may be other "pretenders to the "top 6" but Wolves were the "best of the rest" last season and I reckon they will be again this year. Their team remains basically unchanged, possibly enhanced by a couple of new signings. Many teams will go to the midlands and come away empty-handed from Molineux including the other "top teams". At least I'm hoping so!

So; What I liked about today, at least in the 1st half, was the tempo the lads tried to apply. We closed them down quickly and more often than not stole the ball off them or forced them into give-a-ways in every area of the pitch. Our goal was well-deserved, as was our 1 nil lead. That said, "the trio" - Rashford, Martial and Lingard continue to frustrate. They all too often seem short of ideas in the final third. Seems they either get the ball caught in their feet, dribble into people make a bad pass or a pass-too-many and simply lack the deadly finishing power we clearly need. But this is not news. They have played this way for several years now. At least Rashford and Martial to their credit, have stepped up their game and do score great goals quite regularly now but even they still have a long way to go IMHO. Huge kudos to Martial for that amazing goal today; a great example of his improvement and role as a number 9. Lingard on the other hand, not so much. He was valuable today when we were forcing the play; He, young Daniel, Rashford and Martial all worked hard, as did Pogs and Big Mac but when we did get the ball back it all got too congested and dare I say predictable and old "Arsenal like" lots of tippy happy but no result . The fresh air shot from Jess' was not a surprise was it? Had he taken it, it would have finished of some lovely football ... but we all know about if's and buts.

Second half was disappointing. Points dropped along with our pressing and pace. We gave the ball away too often in the 1st half ... and that got worse in the 2nd. McTominay is younger, fitter and stronger than Matic but lacks guile. He needs massive improvement, hopefully it will come. Still should have won even with the missed pen but we are re-building, right?

No problem for me with Pogba taking the kick ... like Rashford last week, he earned it and had the confidence to hit it hard and low. Keeper guessed right, great save. Would have helped his confidence and had he scored it but not scoring won't hurt him like it would if Rashford had taken and missed. Hindsight remains 20-20

Like many here I was surprised the subs came on so late. Could've stayed the course with the same horses. It shows our lack of depth on the bench I think. There were/are no proven game-savers on it so even if they'd come on earlier I'm not confident anything would have changed.

All in all, I do see improvement on the pitch from game to game so far. Not in leaps and bounds but there are small signs that our quickness, speed and possibly endurance over time will win games for us and we're not without some very talented youngsters. At the back if our two first choice centre-backs can stay healthy and DeGea can stay focussed, as the season progresses I'm confident we'll get more clean sheets and a lot less draws & losses than last year. and therefore a better chance at that coveted CL place.

Wan Bissaka is a very good signing and despite some nay sayers on this site, Shaw is really good! He will continue to get better. He's part of the best back-4 we've had in a while now! And don't forget it was Luke Shaw that was instrumental in the move that led to Martial goal!

K, I'll get me coat ...

reelworld

With pretty much no creativity from both Lingard and McTominay (not his first responsibility tbf) we are toothless in possession, who would've thought.

Wolves has some incredible luck against us though.
Agreed. Which is why I don't blame McTominay as much as Lingard last night. I think McTominay did what he asked to do, shielding the back four and providing a template for the more creative players. But when one of those creative players is Lingard, his impact will always be limited against team that park the bus

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We were very good in the 1st half, in fact, that half was good enough to beat and out play all but 2 teams in the league. That means a lot and shows we are heading in the right direction. Playing exciting and effective football. The 2nd half, of course, was not quite as good.

For whatever reason Rashford decided to let Pogba take the penalty which is a big mistake. You do that if you are comfortably ahead, not at 1-1. I'm pretty sure OSG won't let that happen again.

I was really hoping the McTominay would grab this chance and make the position unquestionably his. It hasn't happened. He is still better than Matic, but it's becoming clear to me he is not the answer.

I was very happy to see Rashford and Martial start to show some cohesion.

Fair result except for the missed PK.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Sorely lack in attack. Just look at Liverpool or Spurs. They were dominated or played horribly but their attack get them (undeserved) points. None of our 500k/wk combined attackers would get into those two teams first XI. Which is so sad for a club as big as United.

Alek M

Da manic one
People should stop moaning about the penalty. Pogba earned it and took it. Rashford has no stature to override Pogba. Strong penalty but poor positioning. It happens. It was a bit of a soft penalty too. Defender had nowhere to go.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
This is what we are, we’re ginna battle for 4 to 7th place and depending on draws for cups we’ll go out when we face the first good side.

Defense has got better but we’re still working with a patchwork CM and relying on 17 year olds to save our attack

Long season ahead imo.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Christ, this place is full of miserable wankers.

Decent performance, and overall a good result in the grand contest of one of our tougher fixtures of the season.

Considerable progress from last year where we lost twice and were outplayed both times. We probably should’ve won today.

It’s clear we are likely two players short of having the team we need. But everything is heading in the right direction. I like the players we’ve brought in, they are all quality additions. Especially the two defenders. And we are shifting nearly all the deadwood. Just a couple left to go. The result is a lot of game time potentially for our youngsters, which you’ve all wanted. But when the average age of your outfield team is 23 (as it was today), there’s going to be some naivety. But they’ll learn and develop as a group. Let’s also not rule out the likely possibility we may bring in a player or two in January.

Some of you need to wind your necks in. Not just for the quality of discussion in here, but also for your own mental health. A lot of immaturity on display today; but even more so, a lot of rage. Over nothing. Just mindless mouth frothing over a developing side. A perfect example is the widespread writing off of a 20 year old after one game. As preposterous as that is, it’s completely par for the course here, and not surprising at all.

Seeing how angry some of you get, makes me think it must be a truly miserable experience for you to support United unless we are endlessly winning.

Next up Palace at home, and hopefully 3 points.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Youngest team in the league at one of the toughest away grounds for top six. The draw is a good result. The performance is what you'd expect to see from a young team. So many positives to take away from this match, including that some of our problems came from the areas we didn't strengthen this summer. Much of the season to grow and improve. Maybe even convince the owners we've maximized what we can glean from the likes of Mata and Lingard so we spend next season on making that next big set of upgrades.

croadyman

A game we should have won, but could have easily lost. A draw away to Wolves is not a bad result, but feel a little hard done by with their goal being a wonder goal that originally came from a goal kick to them that should have been a corner to us, and then to miss the penalty. But oh well, it’s 1 point better than last year here and that’s okay.
Yeah couldn't believe that Moss didn't see the ball deflected off the Wolves defender,typical that led to them scoring isn't it

amolbhatia50k

Sorely lack in attack. Just look at Liverpool or Spurs. They were dominated or played horribly but their attack get them (undeserved) points. None of our 500k/wk combined attackers would get into those two teams first XI. Which is so sad for a club as big as United.
We were a penalty kick away from getting deserves 3 points let alone undeserved 3 points.

amolbhatia50k

Decent performance, and overall a good result in the grand contest of one of our tougher fixtures of the season.

Considerable progress from last year where we lost twice and were outplayed both times. We probably should’ve won today.

It’s clear we are likely two players short of having the team we need. But everything is heading in the right direction. I like the players we’ve brought in, they are all quality additions. Especially the two defenders. And we are shifting nearly all the deadwood. Just a couple left to go. The result is a lot of game time potentially for our youngsters, which you’ve all wanted. But when the average age of your outfield team is 23 (as it was today), there’s going to be some naivety. But they’ll learn and develop as a group. Let’s also not rule out the likely possibility we may bring in a player or two in January.

Some of you need to wind your necks in. Not just for the quality of discussion in here, but also for your own mental health. A lot of immaturity on display today; but even more so, a lot of rage. Over nothing. Just mindless mouth frothing over a developing side. A perfect example is the widespread writing off of a 20 year old after one game. As preposterous as that is, it’s completely par for the course here, and not surprising at all.

Seeing how angry some of you get, makes me think it must be a truly miserable experience for you to support United unless we are endlessly winning.

4 points from our opening 2 games is a solid start to the season. Now let's build on it over the next month.

redshaw

Would've liked to have seen Gomes on for the last 15 mins.

Like Ole said it's work in progress and we should've won this game had we put the penalty away or got given a corner before their goal.

We can build up younger players with other games and I think overall I'm pleased with a solid two games to build on.

Hopefully Ole over time can be a bit braver with subs. We saw last season the same thing.

A huge problem is finding someone who can deliver a dead ball to the likes of Maguire. We're missing out on huge asset we have. Ole needs to be identifying a couple and get them practicing hard.

croadyman

Worrying second half. Lost it for about 15 minutes. Very good in the first without creating much though.

Lingard was poor. Mctominah was poor in the second half. Pogba then trying stupid things in dangerous positions. We did not control the game in MF early in the second half.

Dan James looked decent in the second half. End product needs to be better though.

Rashford should be taking those penalties.
Yeah James need to work on his end product but that was only his second competitive game for the club so will give him time

Jaonz

First half was quite good but poor 2nd half.

Like what Shaw did with those overlapping run. Martial feels like a new signing and rashford do what he do. Our defence looks solid throughout the game. Nothing keeper can do with the goal.

But Mctominay was poor. So was Lingard. Can see the mid relying too much on pogba. Most of Mctominay pass was to pogba. It was frustrating to see. Feels like he can't create something himself. Defending part also poor from him. Pogba should never be allowed to take penalty again.

Trip to molineux is never easy. But this Ole side looks promising for the future. 36 matches to go and the future looks bright.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sereques

Better performance than last season, we should have won. I’m not going to come here and start blaming anyone. They did a great job.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
The Wolves equaliser, wow, that's probably the best corner kick goal since Origi vs Barca, probably even better. Absolutely brilliant.

Sereques

This is what we are, we’re ginna battle for 4 to 7th place and depending on draws for cups we’ll go out when we face the first good side.

Defense has got better but we’re still working with a patchwork CM and relying on 17 year olds to save our attack

Long season ahead imo.
17yr olds that wants to play for Manchester United? I will take that any fecking day. He’s not going to be 17 for the rest of his life.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Pogba should never take a penalty again. He is horrible at them. If the keeper guesses right he saves it. His penalties are always at an easy height to save. That's 4 missed now including last season. Penalties should either be along the ground or high. They should NEVER be at the height that Pogba took it today. And as my old coach used to say, "you can never go under the net, but you can always go over". So hit it hard and low and the keeper doesn't save it. Pogba cost us 2 points today. We were the better team but he blew it...

Sereques

The reason Lingard starts is largely because of his work rate. He runs and press opposition when we don’t have the ball and he always pop up every where on the pitch. If Gomes or Andreas wants that role, they should be able to match at least 60% of that work rate.

Thiagoal

We are definately making progress since last season and look more solid defensively. Frustrating to see the misses from Lingard and Pogba, and frustrating to realize the lack of attacking depth on the bench in the shape of Mata, Pereira and a 17 year old kid. That will hurt us in the long run. Arsenal brought in Pepe and Ceballos, even though there defence is suspect. MoM AWB.
To be fair Pepe looked like a lost schoolboy the other day!

Roboc7

Our best possible finish in the league this season is 4th and in that context it’s a good result. Midfield is going to cost us all season, neither McTominay or Lingard can pass the ball to a level that is anywhere near good enough.

PieCrust

Frustrating result. Martial could have had a hat trick if he just had a touch on that cross in the opening minutes and didn't stumble over the ball at the close of the first half.

I find Martial still extremely frustrating. He can't beat anyone with the ball and seems to just stumble / attempt to kick his way through defenders. Then slows the play down too much when he does get some space. He's a good finisher, but really struggles to beat defenders to create chances.

For the folks complaining about Shaw, he's always been pretty bad going forward, as in, he never goes forward. Sometimes he'll make the overlap run, but he never carries the ball forward and constantly is looking for a sideways or backwards pass. His inability to even play a simple pass with his right foot also really limits his options while in possession.

McT and Lingard just aren't good enough. These guys should not be regular starters, but I guess we already knew that. Not signing a quality CM was still a huge misstep this off-season. And now we're going to play with a #10 it appears, but we leave the best #10 on the roster (Mata) on the bench.

Wolves just let us have possession the entire match and all we did was pass it around to our CB's and had issues getting forward to create any chances. The only time Wolves put pressure on was at the start of the second half and it resulted in their goal. They seemed happy to play it out for a draw at that point. In some sense, very lucky not to lose since Wolves very nearly had 2 goals. I don't see this as a match United dominated as Wolves clearly just ceded possession the majority of the match and we couldn't break them down.

Overall this is how I saw the season unfolding. We lack quality in too many positions and will struggle for top 6 because of it, let alone top 4. We are on the level of Wolves currently, so I can't be too disappointed with the result. It only stings because the chances were there to get 3 points and we couldn't take them.

Fahad Jawaid

Tbf this is how i expect our season to be. We will have difficulty in breaking down compact defenses, we might be able to keep the ball, however we won't be creating alot of chances and basicially will be expecting to score at every chance we get.

The reason is to unlock deep defenses, you need high level technical players who can receive ball in tight spots, turn and find passes through the lines.

Almost all of our attacking players are more suited towards counter attacking football. We really needed to replace Herrera and also sign a stop CAM. The two positions which we are clearly lacking is CM and number 10 role.

The problem is that since we have sold Herrera, now inorder to control or pass from the back we need Pogba in there, whereas he is more effective as a final third player and infact we need him more in the final third unlocking defenses, as relying on Lingard for creativity is a joke.

To sum it all up, there is noticible improvement in defense (owing to Maguire and Wan Bissaka) further we are also significantly better from playing out of the back, along with better fitness and pressing. However, lack of Cm and Cam signing will haunt us this season as we wont be playing on counter in every match and where we are expected to break down deep defenses we will continue to drop points.

Ace of Spades

Spot on. It is easy to say that Ole should have done this and that in hindsight, but we were very comfortable for large parts of the game. We did not create a lot of chances, but that is also par for the course as Wolves very rarely are cut open, and they are very strong defensively as a unit. In fact, their entire counter attacking set up is built on having a strong defence. We were very solid defensively, and barely gave them a sniff on goal. Their only treat was from set pieces, and a amazing strike was needed to get the goal. To me, that is very encouraging to see. A better penalty and we would have got a deserved win, against a strong side while being the better side for majority of the game.

It is frustrating to drop points, especially when we actually played well, but our performance was good against a strong opponent. I am looking forward to the next game now.

TheReligion

Abusive

Good post

Joseunited

Too bloody right mate. Football was a vast improvement and highlighted by the type or goal scored. Under Jose we would have thrown mindless crosses into that stubborn and well dug in Wolves defensive structure. But we controlled possession and sliced them open with quick passing and movement. If anything this game again showed how badly our failure to acquire a creative midfielder is biting us in the arse. Lingard had a poor game and i felt that was the only real negative.
Which I think Ole can solve by having the bollocks to play Gomes in that position.Lingard isn't a creator at all.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
After what I saw yesterday
  • Our new signings are pure class
  • We are trying to build from the back
  • DDG's distribution is improving
  • Lingard is shite and should never start but he will continue to do so cue lack of numbers
  • McTominay is far from starting XI material
  • We are 3 additions away from a quality side, 2 attackers and a midfielder

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 613 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results