PL D FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 19 August 2019

Ace of Spades

Frustrating result. Martial could have had a hat trick if he just had a touch on that cross in the opening minutes and didn't stumble over the ball at the close of the first half.

I find Martial still extremely frustrating. He can't beat anyone with the ball and seems to just stumble / attempt to kick his way through defenders. Then slows the play down too much when he does get some space. He's a good finisher, but really struggles to beat defenders to create chances.

For the folks complaining about Shaw, he's always been pretty bad going forward, as in, he never goes forward. Sometimes he'll make the overlap run, but he never carries the ball forward and constantly is looking for a sideways or backwards pass. His inability to even play a simple pass with his right foot also really limits his options while in possession.

McT and Lingard just aren't good enough. These guys should not be regular starters, but I guess we already knew that. Not signing a quality CM was still a huge misstep this off-season. And now we're going to play with a #10 it appears, but we leave the best #10 on the roster (Mata) on the bench.

Wolves just let us have possession the entire match and all we did was pass it around to our CB's and had issues getting forward to create any chances. The only time Wolves put pressure on was at the start of the second half and it resulted in their goal. They seemed happy to play it out for a draw at that point. In some sense, very lucky not to lose since Wolves very nearly had 2 goals. I don't see this as a match United dominated as Wolves clearly just ceded possession the majority of the match and we couldn't break them down.

Overall this is how I saw the season unfolding. We lack quality in too many positions and will struggle for top 6 because of it, let alone top 4. We are on the level of Wolves currently, so I can't be too disappointed with the result. It only stings because the chances were there to get 3 points and we couldn't take them.
Wolves did not let us have possession, we got that by being aggressive and pressing them relentlessly, not letting them settle. Watch Nuno's after match interview, he made it clear that it was not a tactical thing, just us being better.

Also, after their goal we settled down again and started to get control back. Again, that was not because Wolves were happy for a draw, but because of our own players settling down after that goal. Why would they, when they are at home, when they also have ambition to get in to that top 4 ?? They are not some relegation fodder that would be happy with a point.

We were not lucky for the point at all, Wolves were. The game should have been done by the time they got their goal from a wonder strike.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Some positives and some negatives. We controlled the game without problems for the most part but having 70 % possession does mean shite as we all know.
The pressing was great and we killed more or less all their attempts for a counter attack whenever they started something.
The goal was fantastic - however, I would like to see more movement and interaction in between our attacking players.

We are still missing creativity and composure as we looked pretty harmless most of the time despite circling the ball around well. Unfortunately it is obvious that we are still missing some quality players. Lingard, McTominay and also James looked pretty average so like most of us said we need at least a top class midfielder (better 2 or even a completely new midfield if Pogba leaves) and a right winger. Bring those 2-3 players in and then things will look much brighter.

If AWB continues like this he might become the best RB in the league. Shaw has been solid. However, our CBs looked a bit shakey at times. Early times and I hope our defense will settle over the course of the season if regularly played.

Ace of Spades

The reason Lingard starts is largely because of his work rate. He runs and press opposition when we don’t have the ball and he always pop up every where on the pitch. If Gomes or Andreas wants that role, they should be able to match at least 60% of that work rate.
True, and both will get a chance. Against a side like Wolves away, you don't want to start with Mata or a untested Gomes.

As frustrating as Lingard is, you know what you will get with him at least in work rate.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not gonna lie. I am still pissed off that we threw away two points by poorly managing our lead. We wet the bed when Traore came on and by time we woke up again it was 1-1.

The penalty incident really grates. Pogba has repeatedly missed, why doesn't Rashford just take the ball and blast it into the top corner? The Scousers would've just let Milner have that and left Wolves with three points. Instead our little commune f'd it up and we leave with one. Honestly feels like a loss to me.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
to be honest I'm fairly happy with the performance, but..

absolutely criminal to change the penalty taker there, what the feck are we playing at?
To be fair it was a good, well-taken penalty, but also a brilliant save. Its unfair to say every saved penalty is poor. I have seen worse penalties go in. Pogba was just unlucky the keeper guessed right.

The Siege

This team needs to stop getting PTSD every time we concede a goal. That should be the new coaching target.
Just look at the number of misplaced passes in the 10-15 minutes immediately after the goal. If a forced substitution and one goal that just draws the game can do that to the team, we're not going to have the nerve to hold on to a top 4 place this year.

As far as Pogba's penalty is concerned, it was at the perfect height for the keeper. Once the keeper guessed the right way, there wasn't much to be done. But I can't honestly be raging about a missed pen.

I look forward to seeing Lingard losing is place to a more capable footballer, whenever that happens.

SambaBoy

Tough first away game. I thought we played well in parts but the things that will cost us this season were evident.

1. A lack of a CM signing. Pogba is playing way too deep but OGS doesn't really have a choice. McTominay was bigged up in pre-season and you can't judge him just based on two games but he's not going to carry our midfield and allow Pogba to play further forward and influence play. Pereira works hard but lacks quality and that has been evident over the years, he shouldn't be anymore than a squad option. OGS wants to move away from playing Matic and rightly so, because he's on the decline and too immobile but he may be forced to bring him back into the fold to balance the midfield and play Pogba further forward. Fred unsure whether he will make it here but he will definitely get a chance to prove himself this season because of the lack of options.

2. A lack of a RW/AM signing. Lingard and James starting which is not a problem but when both were playing poorly (more so in Lingard's case) we had no-one really on the bench to come on and change the game, even last season we had Sanchez and Lukaku who are proven Premiership players for all their faults. It's too much to expect a 17 year old to do it, not in his natural position. Mata hasn't been a United quality player for a while now, he had two moments to provide a bit of quality last night and completely messed up. If we had signed a RW, then Lingard and James coming of the bench would be much better options that what we have currently and to challenge for the position or alternatively if we had bought a 10, it would have taken some of the creative burden of Pogba and allowed Lingard to be a good squad option

I think these problems will become even more evident as the season progresses and hopefully it doesn't cost us a top 4 position.

crossy1686

career ending
Frustrating result last night, especially when we could have won but in all fairness we’d have lost this game last season.

We look better, controlled most of the game, missed a penalty and Martial should have scored a second.

A lot of positives to take away but much work to be done.

If someone offered us 4 points from our opening two games over the summer we’d have taken it.

Marcelinho87

A lot of over reacting going on, thought we played well overall, especially in the first half.

You can see the improvements in our game and that is only going to get better the more the players get accustomed to it.

A draw away against a very good Wolves side is nothing to be upset about and it was a great goal that got them their point.

Onwards and upwards.

lysglimt

Scout
Overall it was a good performance. We are lacking a bit of creativity, but we knew that. We are also lacking a bit of composure in the final third, that is something hopefully Martial, Rashford and Greenwood will solve during the season.

But people should not forget that we played one of the most organized sides in the League - they are very hard to break down. And as for people wanting a bunch of youngsters thrown in at 1-1 away against Wolves, it wouldn't be the right thing to do. Yes we could have gone all in for a win, and ended up losing the game.

But I expect Greenwood and Gomes to get their chances against Palace - which will be a completely different game.

We have played the 3rd best team for last season and won - and the 7th best team away from home and drawn. We have Palace at home and Southampton away in the next 2 games. Those are the games we need to win

Lentwood

Christ is the majority of people are already whingeing about a draw and a decent performance at Molineux some of you are in for a long, long season

The club have made good decisions for the first time in 7/8yrs this summer. Don't step on the first green shoots of progress by expecting miracles overnight

welshwingwizard

I think there is also a serious need for a new left back. The number of attacks that stalled with Shaw was too great. You can justify one defensive full back but not two in modern times and unfortunately for him, wan bissaka is just better. We need to find ourselves someone with a bit of attaching threat and assume the defence will tighten more.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I wonder who's fault it was that Neves was unmarked in that kind of position? Was it one of our players not following instructions, or did we not have a plan for that? He's known to be one of the best, if not the best, striker of the ball in that kind of position in the league, so it's suicidal to give him that much time there.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
To be fair it was a good, well-taken penalty, but also a brilliant save. Its unfair to say every saved penalty is poor. I have seen worse penalties go in. Pogba was just unlucky the keeper guessed right.
I have to disagree. It was a perfect height for the keeper and not close enough to the corner. Just compare it to Rashford's on Sunday.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Feel sorry for anyone who isn't able to see the clear progress we've made on last season.

New signings all look decent or better. Style of play is on the front foot and pressing high. That was the first time I've seen an opposing manager genuinely praise us after the game in a very long time.

We're 3 points better off than in the same fixtures last season already and have a very winnable home game up next on Saturday.

We're not going to challenge for the league realistically this season, but I can see the start of a very good young team in the first couple of games.

Really annoys me how so many of our alleged fans just cannot accept any jeapody in a match. It's like if the other team have any kind of attacking spell in the match then United are shit and going to finish 7th.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'd have settled for a draw before the game given out recent performances against Wolves but remain highly pissed off at the penalty. As soon as Pogba picked the ball up, I turned to my mate and said he'll miss. It seems quite mad to me that someone who has missed so many can go on taking them and I've said since last season sooner or later he would cost us. Generally, a decent performance but we did fade in the second half. That said, I have no idea how VAR didn't rule out their goal, a scoring part of his body was clearly offside

Cockney Phil

I'd have settled for a draw before the game given out recent performances against Wolves but remain highly pissed off at the penalty. As soon as Pogba picked the ball up, I turned to my mate and said he'll miss. It seems quite mad to me that someone who has missed so many can go on taking them and I've said since last season sooner or later he would cost us. Generally, a decent performance but we did fade in the second half. That said, I have no idea how VAR didn't rule out their goal, a scoring part of his body was clearly offside
I got the impression from both sets of fans there was chanting against VAR before and after the incident. The wait in the final decision certainly kills the passion of the moment. I badly wanted Pogba to score, it would have done his confidence a lot of good.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Really frustrating result, definitely 2 points lost.

AWB is just brilliant and that £50m will look very cheap if he carries on in this way.

Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw all looked solid if nothing spectacular last night.

Midfield is where we’re light and Lingard just will never be good enough. We know this, nothing new on show.

Not sure why Rashford didn’t take the penalty after his strike last week, Ole should sort that one out.

Overall though we coped with Wolves well, there is no doubt they are a really good team nowadays. Nuno has done a fantastic job with them.

Tomb Bombadil

Supports
Arsenal
I also thought it was an good game from United. The defense looks so much better with Maguire and AWB. I thought it was way too much money for these two. But it looks like it was worth it altough United paid a bit extra.

On the other hand I wasn't that impressed with Wolves besides 15/20min after the break. If United had someone on the benche maybe they could have turned it around. But the changes were too late or no impact from the bench. If you sell Sanchez United will be very light upfront.

Bestietom

Still annoyed over dropping 2 points. This is another game that we left behind. We should have pushed on and scored a second goal. We seem to relax when we score first, and we must go for the kill.

Baneofthegame

Definitely two points dropped in my opinion, we look a little thin as a squad in terms of how we can affect the game from the bench.

But apart from 10-15mins we dominated the game, just didn’t create enough.

mad1max954

Feel sorry for anyone who isn't able to see the clear progress we've made on last season.

New signings all look decent or better. Style of play is on the front foot and pressing high. That was the first time I've seen an opposing manager genuinely praise us after the game in a very long time.

We're 3 points better off than in the same fixtures last season already and have a very winnable home game up next on Saturday.

We're not going to challenge for the league realistically this season, but I can see the start of a very good young team in the first couple of games.

Really annoys me how so many of our alleged fans just cannot accept any jeapody in a match. It's like if the other team have any kind of attacking spell in the match then United are shit and going to finish 7th.
First half I thought that was some of the best football I have seen us play for year, genuinely, wolves couldn’t get out and we completely bossed it. Really good pressing against a very strong team.

Wolves came into it for 20 mins when the sprinter came on and we were exposed down shaws flank a few too many times, but other than that we did well. It’s wolves away lest not forget. Not many teams will get points there this season.

Penalty situation needs changing and I think ole could have changed it up sooner but it was an enjoyable game to watch and we did pretty well I think.

Cockney Phil

Many expected this to be a real test. And it proved to be But we could so easily have won.
All teams have a short spell they get on top. Unfortunately they scored from it and we did not put away the penalty.
Greater penetration is needed.
Midfield is still where we look short and not surprisingly.
Watched it again this morning - everything was about the first half and not taking our chances. Agree with you about the midfield, they were stifled second half. Ander would have made a difference, added some bite. It also shows in how few chances we created through the entire game. We should beat Palace.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Really frustrating result, definitely 2 points lost.

AWB is just brilliant and that £50m will look very cheap if he carries on in this way.

Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw all looked solid if nothing spectacular last night.

Midfield is where we’re light and Lingard just will never be good enough. We know this, nothing new on show.

Not sure why Rashford didn’t take the penalty after his strike last week, Ole should sort that one out.

Overall though we coped with Wolves well, there is no doubt they are a really good team nowadays. Nuno has done a fantastic job with them.
He was fine in the 1st half;busy and energetic without being spectacular. Coped with their midfield well.

2nd half he ran out of steam and we were wanting a bit. Could have done better with the volley chance,unlucky that Boly got a foot to the through ball or he was in.

We are lacking that little bit of magic in there.

Overall, it should have been 3 points wrapped up but given how difficult it is to go there,I'll settle for a point.

It'll be interesting to see how many of the big teams get anything there

Melville Red

As soon as the final whistle went the telly was switched over.
I’ve just heard this morning that Ole came out and said that he has no problems with Pogba taking penalties.
If it was a question all he had to say is, “I’m not discussing that now”.

Behind the scenes he should lay down the law and make Rashford the designated penalty taker. At times Ole sound such a pathetic weak manager, his substitutions were rubbish, Mata? And far to late, can anyone tell me what’s the point in a sub coming on in the 88th minute? I fear this is going to be a repeat of last year, I had this match down for a draw and I was very disappointed to get it right.

gica_7

I liked what I've seen. We have dominated most of the game. We couldn't create much but that will always be the case with this squad because it lacks certain personnel to do so in such a game. The team clearly shows an identity and I am happy with it, especially when this is the first year of an actual rebuilding process.

We always knew quality would be an issue. Hopefully, youngsters can pick up minutes and solve the issue partially. Despite the positives, it still feels bad to know we were very very close to get 3 points.

Still annoyed over dropping 2 points. This is another game that we left behind. We should have pushed on and scored a second goal. We seem to relax when we score first, and we must go for the kill.
We were close to that 2nd goal though. Martial and Lingard twice came close to kill the game. With a bit of luck, we could have scored the second.

Raw

To be fair it's good that it feels like 2 points lost rather than 1 point gained. It was a very good performance overall in a very tricky fixture. Keep this up and we'll be heading in the right direction.

Craig Ward

While I agree with this post, we are making changes for the better and will continue to improve i'm getting frustrated at the mentality of our fans, but for different reasons to yours.

A lot of chatter is "a draw is a good result against wolves" No, it really isn't. We should be beating Wolves. End of. If our mindset is to "not lose" against wolves, then really what are we aiming for?

Last season and this - Wolves have to be a team we beat home and away. Simple. Its not good enough to not have the mentality that wolves are a team we should be beating. It jus baffles me how the mentality and expectation of fans is nowhere near what it should be. Its accepting mediocre performances.

I accept Wolves are decent. I accept they have a good record against us in recent times. I will never accept that not beating Wolves is a decent result.

If we take that mindset into games, we will never progress up the table and compete. City wouldn't accept a draw against Wolves, neither would Liverpool, neither would Spurs - so why are some of our fans claiming this to be a good result? It's not

I appreciate you have to manage each game as it comes and as this game goes, on the whole we should have won. Its 2 points dropped. And given league titles are won by 1 point in recent times, we should as fans be a little frustrated at dropped points.

We should also as fans not over react and claim this is a tragic result, I've heard clamours of Ole isn't up to the job which is nonsense.

Its a bad result, but we go again and rectify is next game out. We are a young team, we are improving. We should have won, we didn't. It's football, this will happen. Its the mentality of fans I take issue with

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Disappointing game. We were dominant in the first half, but completely tanked in the second half. I think it boiled down to Lingard being so ineffectual and our midfield being stretched.
Ole's tactics weren't great and he should have made subs earlier. Still, 4 points from the first 2 games isn't bad. Just wish we could create more chances, and unsure where it's going to come from (consistently) outside Pogba.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He was fine in the 1st half;busy and energetic without being spectacular. Coped with their midfield well.

2nd half he ran out of steam and we were wanting a bit. Could have done better with the volley chance,unlucky that Boly got a foot to the through ball or he was in.

We are lacking that little bit of magic in there.

Overall, it should have been 3 points wrapped up but given how difficult it is to go there,I'll settle for a point.

It'll be interesting to see how many of the big teams get anything there
Gave the ball away or just didn't make obvious passes, he wasn't fine

StrettyEnder07

Plenty of positives last night, played very well first half, and last 15 minutes played alright could have won it, Wolves came flying out second half we done well to withstand it a lot of it, will do Maguire/Lindelof good.

Giving the ball away far to much second half, so many sloppy passes, thought Mata coming on was a mistake should have given Greenwood 20 minutes instead of James but overall plenty of positives.

It took a dodgy VAR decision (Sterling is offside due to his arm being offside against West Ham but it's fine for Jota, not sure how that works), an absolute worldie from Neves and a penalty miss from us to not get the 3 points, we move onto Palace.

Big issue for me last night was set pieces, who in gods name thought it would be a good idea to have Luke Shaw on set pieces, unbelievable! Up there with Phil Jones taking them at QPR that!

Beat Palace and 7 from 3, will take that.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Fair result even though it felt like 2 points dropped.

They were cowardly in the first half and we went in rightly ahead. Second half they were a totally different side, pressing us all over the pitch and we simply couldn't cope with it.

Worrying thing is we had nothing on the bench that I felt could swing it back in our favour and the lack of options in our squad is going to hurt us a lot this season.

Martial got into some good positions, Maguire and Wan Bissaka contine to impress. Lingard was anonymous and Rashford needs to be banned from free kicks.

Re: penalty duties. Ole needs to make sure Rashford is our man on these. I know some clubs rotate pen takers but Pogba has proven time and time again that he's not got the bottle for them. No brainer for me.

sugar_kane

It’s absolutely ludicrous how the penalty has become the sole talking point of the game.

Has everyone forgotten that Pogba scored about five penalties last season? You’d also think we were the only club on the planet who don’t always have the same penalty taker.

Lots of positives to take out of last night but the biggest worry was how we reacted to conceding.

We bucked up in the end but we need to do it quicker.

That, and just the sheer lack of depth in the team.

Santos J

Plenty of positives last night, played very well first half, and last 15 minutes played alright could have won it, Wolves came flying out second half we done well to withstand it a lot of it, will do Maguire/Lindelof good.

Giving the ball away far to much second half, so many sloppy passes, thought Mata coming on was a mistake should have given Greenwood 20 minutes instead of James but overall plenty of positives.

It took a dodgy VAR decision (Sterling is offside due to his arm being offside against West Ham but it's fine for Jota, not sure how that works), an absolute worldie from Neves and a penalty miss from us to not get the 3 points, we move onto Palace.

Big issue for me last night was set pieces, who in gods name thought it would be a good idea to have Luke Shaw on set pieces, unbelievable! Up there with Phil Jones taking them at QPR that!

Beat Palace and 7 from 3, will take that.
Yep sums it up well, frustrating straight after game but looking at it objectively it really wasn't as bad as some made out. 5 minutes around their goal aside we were very comfortable.

It’s absolutely ludicrous how the penalty has become the sole talking point of the game.
Aye that was ridiculous, never seen so much fuss over a missed penalty in a PL game.

settembrini

Can't believe how negative some (not all) posters are.

1-1 at Wolves is a decent result. We lost this fixture twice at the back end of last season and our rivals have struggled there too. City drew this fixture last season. Chelsea and Arsenal both lost.

On top of that we played well. Before the game I saw many people predict that we would get dominated in the middle of the park because of our supposedly weak midfield, instead we had 65% possession.

The fact that we could and probably should have won the game isn't something to get annoyed about, it's a positive. Fundamentally we look a solid team who have taken 4 points from games we got 1 from last season. Keep this up and we will get top 4 easily.

Nialinho

Christ is the majority of people are already whingeing about a draw and a decent performance at Molineux some of you are in for a long, long season

The club have made good decisions for the first time in 7/8yrs this summer. Don't step on the first green shoots of progress by expecting miracles overnight
This.

Has everyone forgotten that Pogba scored about five penalties last season? You’d also think we were the only club on the planet who don’t always have the same penalty taker.

Lots of positives to take out of last night but the biggest worry was how we reacted to conceding.

We bucked up in the end but we need to do it quicker.

That, and just the sheer lack of depth in the team.
I don't think the penalty is the sole talking point. You can't ignore the fact that the lack of a proper designated taker is pretty amateurish and perhaps cost us the game. That's why it's got everyone talking..

StrettyEnder07

Yep sums it up well, frustrating straight after game but looking at it objectively it really wasn't as bad as some made out. 5 minutes around their goal aside we were very comfortable.

Aye that was ridiculous, never seen so much fuss over a missed penalty in a PL game.
Yeah mate no need to panic, seen on Twitter the thing is in meltdown, get James sold, Pogba to be shot, Ole out, haha crazy we have gotten a point at Wolves and the over reaction.

Someone does need to explain VAR though as I am utterly lost with it

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 613 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd