PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Sat, 13 May 2023

tjb

Again, another good performance, but keeps highlighting this teams actual issues.

Our attack is very poor, and unless given acres of space or a tap in opportunity usually can't craft out chances or score goals. They rely way to heavily on Bruno for innovation. This is also made worse by the fact that neither AWB or Dalot are great attacking full backs, whilst Shaw is taking on more defensive spaces.

The effect of this is that we can dominate teams in our home games due to the strength of the midfield and defence, but despite the dominance we can hardly score more than 2 goals in these games. In away games, where teams need to rely more on fire power, our attack can't provide any invention. So we struggle to win, even if we control large portions of those games.

Rashford, Antony and Garnacho are the only somewhat threatening attackers that we have. Antony is pretty poor with is decision making in the final third, but he at least has intensity, makes the right runs and can combine. His lack of creativity is a problem though, especially if he isn't converting chances. Amad potentially coming back would be a huge boost, so he can compete with Antony ( whilst Antony works on improving his game this summer). However, we NEED a striker. Most teams don't have to put it on a plate for their attackers for them to actually score. Their attackers have the agility, balance, intensity, decisonmaking and technique to craft and score chances. Their midfielders simply put it into the right spaces so they can attack. At the moment, we are consistently getting the ball to the right spaces, but our forwards aren't doing much with it. People will be truly surprised how free flowing our scoring would be by actually adding a real striker. Martial isn't one. His body positioning in the box is off, he's not predatory, he doesn't have agility on both sides, he's not really an aerial threat and doesn't make good runs often.

Getting a striker and bringing Amad back should be the priorities this summer. We should also sell Sancho and Martial IMO. We do need a CM because in bigger, more intense games, Eriksen doesn't have the legs plus we have no back up for Casemiro. Eriksen needs to move to rotation. We need a right back because we need consistent attacking impetus on the right hand side from that position. But the no.9 is what we need the most.

moodyred

I think the difference between the two is that ETH is far more likely to drop Sancho than Antony, never mind that we have suitable subs like Garnacho and Pellistri available.
I like Antony's energy. He is always the first to charge forward and he also does his defensive duties.

Wing Attack Plan R

Great run from Garnacho to create that goal-scoring chance, excellent pass from Bruno to find him. Bruno runs his socks off all game every game and still has enough quality to make the perfectly weighted pass in the 94th minute.

loved that moment when AWB had two defenders in him and (it looked like) he did a Cruyff turn while going backwards and slotted through both defenders like he was showing off for his friends in the park. Really pleased to see how much AWB has improved in the EtH regime.

Godfather

Its true.
So not the fact Sancho can hardly sprint, not beat a man, doesn't track back and generally looks totally lost? K got it
Anyway I don't want to bash our own players but for someone to come on here after that performance from Antony and call him the problem in our front three is absolutely mental

SirScholes

A striker and some legs in centre midfield
I love Eriksens footballing brain but we could do with someone else to help break defensive lines

no one was really running in behind, we are too easy to play against at times

Strelok

Martial would have scored two and Sancho one if Antony was a bit less selfish. Anyway good solid game and happy with the 3 pts. Bruno motm imo.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So not the fact Sancho can hardly sprint, not beat a man, doesn't track back and generally looks totally lost? K got it
Like i said, Sancho isn't first choice on the left and would ordinarily be a sub. Not the case for Antony, who is apparently gifted the starting job irrespective of how he plays.

SirScholes

I think the difference between the two is that ETH is far more likely to drop Sancho than Antony, never mind that we have suitable subs like Garnacho and Pellistri available.
That and Antony will look to play forward, maybe not all the time but atleast he tries
Sancho first instinct is, don’t lose the ball

DSG

Heart in my mouth towards the end of the match.

Yes, Antony is at least creating chances, but they are worthless unless you make the final pass or finish with accuracy.

‘I’d like to see Garnacho - Rashford - Antony forward line for a run of games.

God, Wout…. Sigh. We absolutely need a world class striker this window.

baskinginthesun

Moments of pressure but, I don't actually remember De Gea making a save which is rare. So that's good.

If only someone could finish a chance. These games wouldn't be as edgy if we can find a way to score more than 1 or 2 goals.

Godfather

Like i said, Sancho isn't first choice on the left and would ordinarily be a sub. Not the case for Antony, who is apparently gifted the starting job irrespective of how he plays.
Beacaue he is hands down our best option on the right? And not the problem in our front three that consists of a number 9 that looks out if breath after ten mins?

Why is it so hard for some of you, especially staff members to own up to talking out of their arses from time to time? It's ok man

90 + 5min

Not a great performance. We have no idea what to do in last third. Lot of non-mobile players. Lot of bad decisions. On positive note, important for young kid to score.

tjb

We have a good team with players we can consistently rely on in Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro, Bruno and Rashford. We need to ensure development of players like Garnacho, Antony and Amad; whilst also making appropriate signings to cover the gaps. Squad wise, having Eriksen, Lindelof, Fred and AWB would be useful.

rooney2009

Defence was good today and have been good in the last few games
I don’t think Wolves had a shot on Target
Let’s beat Bournemouth next week and 4th position should be secured
Good weekend so far.

cyberman

We are a machine at home. It looks nervous because we’re nervous but that’s how we comfortably see our home games and it works really well

Lost bear

I think he will improve over time, but unfortunately, haven't seen much in the way of improvement from his first appearance this year. If anything, he's stagnated due primarily to his poor decision making.
His decision making is up and down, I think, though regularly off- agreed. I do think he’ll learn though- ETH clearly believes so. And he’s a player with considerable heart. Garnacho, though, has that special undefinable something. We’re a better team than we have looked of late. So much will change if we get a real striker in.

moodyred

With Garnacho, we have someone who can come off the bench to change the game.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Beacaue he is hands down our best option on the right? And not the problem in our front three that consists of a number 9 that looks out if breath after ten mins?

Why is it so hard for some of you, especially staff members to own up to talking out of their arses from time to time? It's ok man
How come you received a warning for this?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Is Mariner on the Caf warnings today?

RoyH1

Crucial win, massively important three points. And that Garnacho goal was such a pleasant closer to the game.

Ted Lasso

Needed that win desperately. Having Garnacho and Rashford back gives us a chance to finish the season with a flourish if they're both fit by the final

Lost bear

Great run from Garnacho to create that goal-scoring chance, excellent pass from Bruno to find him. Bruno runs his socks off all game every game and still has enough quality to make the perfectly weighted pass in the 94th minute.

loved that moment when AWB had two defenders in him and (it looked like) he did a Cruyff turn while going backwards and slotted through both defenders like he was showing off for his friends in the park. Really pleased to see how much AWB has improved in the EtH regime.
Yeah. It’s a delight!

siw2007

Phew, much deserved win and our points clock goes down to 6 points.

We controlled the game mostly and defended well. We are just so wasteful in front of goal. Antony and Sancho should have both had goals today. Fab for Garnacho to score late on, for himself and the team.

Shiva87

I thought Antony today was very poor. He got so many chances to make the right pass today but except the goal - didn’t get his head up. The one from the Wolves defender slip was the worst!!

Hope Ten Hag can iron this out of his game next season!

Nicolarra90

We don't look well coached in attack. I would forbid Bruno and Antony from shooting unless it's a rebound from a set piece or a 1 on 1 with no pass option.

onemanarmy

I thought Antony today was very poor. He got so many chances to make the right pass today but except the goal - didn’t get his head up. The one from the Wolves defender slip was the worst!!

Hope Ten Hag can iron this out of his game next season!
He got an assist, had a good shot brilliantly saved, tracked back all the time, tackled, got involved...

I'm not sure how much more we can except from a young player coming from the Dutch league, playing his first PL season. You lot are very harsh on him.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 197 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Man Utd 2:0 Wolves
  • 21% Man Utd 1:0 Wolves