PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Mon, 14 August 2023

mattunited1978

doommonger
Absolute wank, pathetic team performance and just about every individual should be embarrassed with their efforts.

Only player who played well was onana

sokol11

What an absolute shower of shite this game was. AWB, Shaw, Varane and Onana bailing us out. Garnacho wtf? Cost us two yellow cards in first half. Casemiro Sunday league fitness levels, Mount showed some flashes of willingness to fight and gets substituted first? Eriksen invisible, Sancho with his regular pacifist fighting spirit. Bruno, Anthony wasteful. Rashford starved of service and ineffective.

Other than our defense must commend Wolves on effort. New manager bounce. Played like it's a world cup final.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Our midfield looks far from sorted.

A 31-year old Casemiro (whose legs seem to have gone and this was the first match of the season) is too often left alone while Mount and Bruno are pressing higher. And Case himself doesn’t exactly sit on front of the defense either.

This was a poor Wolves side and even they had countless chances when running at our defense at full pelt.

Most disappointed with our pressing. We didn’t really do that as a team all night. Individual decisions to press and it was easy for them to play past that one or those two doing it.

We had one new outfield player out there so it shouldn’t be a case of getting to know each other etc., that should come from muscle memory as we’ve trained that for the whole of last season.

Lucky to come away with the three points, but naturally happy with that.

Hopefully we’ll look more threatening next weekend against a very high line. Should be no problem finding all that space behind their defenders.

Ibi Dreams

I don't understand what our midfield is. We've supposedly got one of the best defensive midfielders in the world, and it's still getting bypassed constantly and easily

Really poor performance, especially considering that these players should have just gone through a lot of coaching

Devil77

We weren't good, but I did see a lot of fight. As long as the players fight for the team and the fans I'll be okay with any result.

Wolves were a lot sharper and their players are crazy fast, outrunning us everytime. I think it's a case of them being more prepared both mentally and physcially and thus had us against the ropes, I hope we find rhytmh until the next game though.
Yet Wolves won almost every 50/50 challenge.

gajender

Every single player lost every individual battle. They should all be flogged.
The way we were playing it gave the impression that it wasn't start of the season but end of the season and players are running on the fumes and want the season to just end .

It was shambolic from team as well as ETH no excuses to be so pathetic .

GazTheLegend

We aren't anywhere near winning the title with this team. Ferguson's United sides used to annihilate ANY side at Old Trafford. If Wolves can come here and outplay us, anyone can.

cyberman

You could watch the PL for the next 10 years and not see a game with a worse non existent midfield like today! You think Liv needed a midfield overhaul, on today's evidence we don't have anything.

I thought he had another 2 yrsbut Casemiro is done and without him, teams have the freedom of the field to run 60/70 yards w/o any resistance. Just a disgusting performance and not sure what that means for the season ahead.
Well you can calm down for a start!

quadrant

Not sure what to make of that performance. Tactically it was poor, with the gap between the back line and the attacking midfield being huge, leaving Casemiro by himself in acres. I honestly hoped the days of seeing opposition midfielders streaking past our players with runs from deep was in the past. Casemiro didn't look fit, but he was covering so much ground he had a tough job.

Bruno and Mount up high are fine together in theory, but only when the game is compressed high up the pitch. You can't play them both high with a deep defensive line. Which is exactly why we bought Onana, not to mention Martinez last season, to allow us to play higher. If we're going to stretch the game vertically, we need Mount to drop deep alongside Casemiro and carry the ball - which was one of his strengths at Chelsea after all.

We looked well off the pace fitness wise. I would love to see the stats for tackling - it feels like our players got tackled more in that game in than in any other game I can remember. Wolves looked so much more up for it than we did.

Up front Rashford just looked starved. Antony was a passenger, Garnacho was a liability at times. Hojland cant get fit quick enough.

Thought Onana did well most of the game, but he was very lucky at the end. You've seen them given, put it that way.

I'm not too worried overall, we got the win and now there's time to get on the training pitch, but clearly there's a lot of work to be done.

r0663664

Worships Man City
If we buy a dm next to Casemiro then what happen to Mount? A bad experiment by ETH like Antony. 60 million to back up Bruno, it shouldn't be like this. Bruno perhaps should be the deep lying playmaker. Whatever it is, ETH better find a solution before the season comes unfold.

OrcaFat

Fitness level dreadful.

Team shape worse than last season.

Makes you wonder what we were doing in preseason
I was going to say the same. We looked badly undercooked.

I think we didn’t play enough preseason games. Not enough of those players had even one full 90 under their belts. With trying to look at so many different players, they didn’t have enough minutes in their legs.

Should have thrown a couple of extra fodder games in. Like Wrexham, we could have played them twice. Once with the kids and then a rematch with the first team. Would have satisfied the publicity guys as well.

Bohman

Our players need high dose of steroids urgently. We were much weaker and less aggressive than Wolves.

Litch

Crazy.....has the midfield really improved that much cause that looked absolutely no different than McFred. In fact worse as I dont think they would have ran so easy through us if Fred was there....

RetroStu

I hate how even when we win games these days, it can feel frustrating, and feel like a loss in a sense, or i get the same feeling as a loss, if you get me.

Its really frustrating.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No excuses to be that poor. I can’t understand how we’re starting a season again looking like the squad have taken horse tranquillisers. Everyone’s touch was awful, wrong decisions, completely empty midfield.

Bizarre stuff.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Got away with one there.

Martinez was horrible. He was bad at the start of last season too. Then he got pulled off at half time vs Brentford and was brilliant after that. Let's hope today was his bad match

Cassemiro was horrible. I think I saw him get nutmegged at least 3 times and he looked tired. Especially in the last 10 minutes

AWB was horrible. Great with his 1v 1 defending, but how many times is he going to turn his back to his man when he doesn't have the ball. He really needs to work on his "off the ball" defending. Great assist though

Erikson was horrible. I didn't think Mount was having a great game, but there was a noticeable difference when he came off. Perhaps that's why Cassemiro looked so tired at the end. He was having to do the work of 2 midfielders. If I was ETH I would have taken Erikson off for McTominay, not Rashford. I don't care that Erikson just came on. He was a liability. Even Shaw yelled at him

Speaking of Shaw. Absolutely brilliant. Neto was dangerous all night and they had a good battle. Neto is better than I ever though he was and Shaw dealt well with him

Varrane was brilliant. Took care of almost everything that came near him and scored the winner

And finally, our MOTM and new keeper was absolutely brilliant. Some of the stuff he did today wasn't about the saves he made. It was the saves he didn't have to make. De Gea would never come out like that. The diving catch on their cross was crucial. As for their penalty claim? No chance. He didn't even hit the guy heading the ball. He hit another guy and it was well after he headed it. Absolutely brilliant today

Lights Out

That was just awful. Utterly deflating.

Wolves were far the better side and it was a penalty. I’ve never watched United play and not be able to pick out one half decent performance.

It’s game one and way too early to predict how the rest of the season will pan out, but that was very concerning. I don’t know what to think.
Exactly how I feel.

Absolutely outplayed by a team with a new manager and no new signings over the summer.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Loved Onana's performance until he decided to do his best WWE impression. All in all horrible performance but we'll grow as the season progresses. People saying we won't get top 4 were saying the same thing last year after week 1.

bondsname

Yet Wolves won almost every 50/50 challenge.
Yeah? Where did I say we won every challenge? I said I saw fight, I didn't say I saw success. You can give it your all in a boxing match against Mike Tyson but still get knocked out.

baskinginthesun

Probably down to match fitness but, there was zero physicality in us tonight. It was so easy to push us off the ball and then shrug us off when Wolves had possession.

Then it felt like none of our players had ever played PL football. All of them dithered and faffed around with it as if they had all the time in the world. Speed it up for feck sake.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
This may be recency bias but that was worse than any of last season's performances.

saik

Our attackers drop performances like this and then after a few games people wonder why their average rating on this site is not higher than 6. Our bottom level is absolutely trash. :lol:

They lost most of their key players, didn't sign a single player this summer, lost their manager 3 days ago and they still whopped our asses all over the pitch. We have got to play far better than whatever that shit was on display tonight.

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 35% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 419 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw