PL W FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 01 February 2024

troylocker

Horrible game management in the second half. Luckily for us, Kobbie wouldn’t have it. What a boss!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We also put the ball in the net two times that didn't count, while Wolves' xG is inflated by the penalty awarded.
Ah that makes way more sense. That fecking penalty.

MonkeysMagic

Say what you will, Utd games are rarely dull. In a way, tonight's game in a microcosm explains the issues we have...missing chances in front of goal and letting in poor goals.

The penalty decision was an absolute joke, and VAR not correcting blatant dives just render it utterly pointless. But we should have been 6/7 up by the time they got the first, what followed afterwards just sums our season up.

Irwin99

What a mental game. It's hard to work out this team, it really is. When it went to 3-2 you just knew they'd get a third goal but i didn't expect us to get another one.

Shaw, Martinez, Mainoo, Rashford and Hojlund were all fantastic btw. Whole team was great in the first half and then stupid mistakes mean we keep conceding goals (also, never a penalty).

WPMUFC

Mainoo and hojlund are the only players I'd currently want to build a team around. Maybe Martinez if he can find his last season form.

Mainoo – academy product

Antony – 100m

And mainoo has a better shot on him. Literally the only thing you could say positively about Antony is that he has a 1/20 good curler on him. Well look at mainoo

Sir Jim please scrap this entire disaster and start again.

Green55

They are shit every day.
ETH will keep persevering with both no matter how bad they are as they are his signings and he ultimately wants to be proven right - absolutely useless both of them.
Onana is only in because of his distribution and it doesn't seem any better than Bayindir's. If we 're looking for a keeper to keep the ball out of the fecking net give Altay an extended run in the team - it's becoming embarassing with Onana and he can't keep costing us

stevoc

Horrible game management in the second half. Luckily for us, Kobbie wouldn’t have it. What a boss!
It's been the same for most of the season which is baffling because he got it right so many times last season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
ETH will keep persevering with both no matter how bad they are as they are his signings and he ultimately wants to be proven right - absolutely useless both of them.
Onana is only in because of his distribution and it doesn't seem any better than Bayindir's. If we 're looking for a keeper to keep the ball out of the fecking net give Altay an extended run in the team - it's becoming embarassing with Onana and he can't keep costing us
Antony being dropped for most the game shows he's not actually persisting with him, by the way.

Ludens the Red

Dunno about anyone else but our games with Wolves are so exhausting :lol: . It’s always such a massive struggle. Know we’ve beaten them a lot more than they have us but feck.

Withnail

What a mental game. It's hard to work out this team, it really is. When it went to 3-2 you just knew they'd get a third goal but i didn't expect us to get another one.

Shaw, Martinez, Mainoo, Rashford and Hojlund were all fantastic btw. Whole team was great in the first half and then stupid mistakes mean we keep conceding goals (also, never a penalty).
Without that ridiculous pen Wolves don't get back into the game. It lifted them and gave them belief. It's good we were able to come through that and get the win.

Waynne

How can he save the 2nd? So close to him, blame Bruno. The other shot between the legs, no view. I am not his fan but that blind hatred is annoying
Blind hatred?

What is it with some United fans and exaggerating for everything FFS. I don't often post about Onana but now that I do It's like i shat in someone's cereal bowl.

I'm not a fan of his. I don't hate the guy. I just don't think he's United quality and he's been making mistakes all througout the season.

There are other better goalkeepers than him. We've seen De Gea save those attempts many times.

The Irish Connection

I'm still sweating, my heart rate is through the roof.

That was classic Manchester United. It had everything.

The drama before the game with Rashford, him scoring, the up/down nature of the match, the feeling of "surely we won't collapse from here" to "oh no we've now collapsed" to that late winner!

Loved it and wouldn't want it any other way.
It was beautiful.
Mainoo was just like ‘ nah lads, hold my beer’!

We deserved it overall. Tbh if we took our chances we would have been 4 up by half time.
Would have incredibly depressing if we drew that.
One of our best halves of football all season in the first.

Irwin99

On a slight downwer, it should be drilled into this team that two goals isn't enough and we need to start scoring 3 or 4 goals while we have the advantage/momentum, otherwise this will keep happening.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
What the hell is this.

I fell asleep before their second and thought it had ended 1 3 until I opened this thread !

Wheato

Why is Antony an option? Ten Hag's an idiot.
If I was Amad I'd be livid. Antony would literally tackle himself when all we needed was to keep the ball and see out the game. I don't want to see him in a United shirt again. Not even for the last 10 minutes of a game.

Irwin99

Without that ridiculous pen Wolves don't get back into the game. It lifted them and gave them belief. It's good we were able to come through that and get the win.
It was ridiculous and I hate this whole 'contact in the box = a foul and a penalty' crap that we have now but it seems to be a pattern that two goals is never enough with this team when we actually have the upper hand. The penalty was ridiculous but the other two goals we conceded were wretched.

Need to start scoring more when we have momentum. That was actually a great first half performance, except we should have scored a few more.

downunder red

Lots of positives to go on but the manager has to sort out Bruno and his no brain passing. He needs to grab him by the scruff of the neck and shake him while he asks him "what the feck are you doing out there? Use your brain boy and think, use your efn brain." Maybe followed by a few slaps.

Chairman Steve

We should have scored 4 by HT. Really annoying we didn’t because we all knew what could happen.

But thanks to Mainoo, we were saved from that.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
It's the style of dive that I thought retired with Arjen Robben
Ref and Var were killing themselves to rectify the error at OT in the 1st game of the season. Hopefully Gary Ocuntface shuts up about it now, doubt it though.

saik

Man I switched off as soon as they scored their 3rd goal and only just saw that we won! Fecking chuffed!! What a fecking goal by Mainoo though! Lad's such a baller. And he's only 18!! :drool:

Saying that, we made that so fecking hard for ourselves as we should have been out of sight by half time, we were that dominant. We need to learn to put these kind of games to bed and ETH also needs to learn to manage these games better. Also, for the 2nd game running, opposition get a fluke goal which gives them extra motivation to attack. That was such a pathetic dive for penalty. There was literally nothing in that challenge for Neto to go down the way he has. ETH needs to call out these fecking soft decisions that go against us. Klopp would be moaning all day in the media if that penalty was given against him.

Also, I really try to support them but Antony and Onana just ain't it i'm afraid. Both of them almost costed us this match.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Its not only his goal that made Mainoo stand out; its the way he was receiving the ball in tight situations and making space and time to get a simple pass away. this kid is going to form an England midfield with Bellingham that lead England to glory. I also want to pick out Hojlund - who has been getting pelters on here. He never stops running, he gets into good positions (but invariably gets ignored) and tracks back makes a nuisance of himself amongst defenders and goalkeepers with his pace. And he's 20. Some of the shite he gets on here, one would think he should be the finished article. Good performance, not great but really promising and that's all you can ask.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Completely missed the match. Pay for Sky and every feckin United game seems to be on another subscription channel. And my stream just keeps buffering making it unwatchable. feck it all. Cancelling the lot. cnuts.

RedfromIreland

There should be an inquest over this match, not only how VAR gave the softest penalty I've ever seen, but also where the 9 minutes came from (that ended up 11:20). It's ridiculous.
Especially as Tierney was the Ref last night and didn’t give anything and tonight on VAR he allows that.

Fitchett

That match summed up this season. Some brilliant approach play, woeful finishing, panic defending and corrupt refereeing.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Right, really chuffed with the win.

Antony is trash, like woeful and he loses the ball all the time. So weak

Garnacho doesn't pass well, needs this to kick on.

Mainoo is incredible

IRELANDUNITED

Referee made a game out of it, we were absolutely outstanding and 9 time out of 10 we win that game 3/4-0

Its a really good sign that once we have our best 11 playing we are really good, back this manager again in the summer and we will be title contenders next season.

stevoc

You must have missed the first half then.
I seen it and I seen us miss chance after chance, which is why I say we never looked like we could win that game comfortably. We don't have it in us to kill teams off, we've only won one league game all season by more than a 1 goal margin, 1 win out of 11. And with the way we defend we were always going to concede, in our last game we got pegged back to 2-2 by a pub team.

So I'd have to ask what game were you watching where you seen an excellent perfromance and were confident we'd win comfortably. Because it wasn't the same game myself and a few friends just watched.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 257 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Wolves 2:1 Man Utd