Potential CB Options

MasterCode

@MasterCode Once again Axel has cost us yet ANOTHER game how you see/saw this guy as an imperious CB God knows.
Funny that I recall Harry Maguire getting absoloutely getting skinned for the first goal. Will post a proper response. That was no way near Axel's fault... Earlier post was he should get a run of games you just have an agenda. Maguires poo and this game shows it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He’s also very aggressive, which like Vidic hides his lack of real pace (he’s not slow though, just average). He’d be an upgrade on Lindelof and possibly even Maguire so for a small fee, I think that’s worth it.
personally I’d go in to the season with Lindelof, Melinkovic, Maguire and also another young, quick defender with potential, such an Kounde, with Bailly there as well because due to his consistent injuries, we can’t rely on him permanently. I’d let Axel go on loan.
He's very aggressive there's no question about that and would be a interesting signing for a low fee due to his contract running down.

I don't believe we'll sign Kounde due to him being short and also due to Sevilla's asking price which should be deemed too high in the Covid market. His high price would also cost us the chance to sign a attacker, which we badly lack imo.

If the club can sign Ibrahima Konate (injury permitting) and Jack Grealish, we'll have done brilliant business with all things considered. Also add the two hot prospects Amad Diallo and Hannibal Mejbri to the squad next season and that for me would be a sensible way to plan ahead.

RkkMan

Funny that I recall Harry Maguire getting absoloutely getting skinned for the first goal. Will post a proper response. That was no way near Axel's fault... Earlier post was he should get a run of games you just have an agenda. Maguires poo and this game shows it.
A CB is one of the few positions you have to take whatever chance you get getting a "run of games" when you`re always making mistakes Smalling/Jones would get bashed for doesnt help the cause and post the PSG game he`s not had ONE good game
Maguire though was poor for that last goal more than the first which was 100% on De Gea but Axel`s in game management(plus AWB) just like other games was shocking you also cant deny that

Dan_F

He's actually deceptively quick for a CB that is 6'5.
Fair. If there’s no genuine world class options we can get, then I wouldn’t be against us signing someone experienced for a few years. The defence badly needs a leader. Pretty frustrating watching what Dias is doing for City right now.

That's not true. Why?
I just think there’s too many issues with him, he’s slow, positioning is poor and he cant organize our defence. If we get him a new partner they will spend most of their time bailing him out like lindelof and Bailly have done so it will be no different to what we’re seeing now. We just need 2 good quality CBs imo.

JPB

I just think there’s too many issues with him, he’s slow, positioning is poor and he cant organize our defence. If we get him a new partner they will spend most of their time bailing him out like lindelof and Bailly have done so it will be no different to what we’re seeing now. We just need 2 good quality CBs imo.
Maguire is no Rio or Vidic, that's plain to see. But Lindelof is by far the worst defender at the club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fair. If there’s no genuine world class options we can get, then I wouldn’t be against us signing someone experienced for a few years. The defence badly needs a leader. Pretty frustrating watching what Dias is doing for City right now.
I think we get too hung up on the term 'world class' and lose sight of what we as a team require as far as the profile of the player is concerned. In this instance what we need is a CB who is strong in defending the channel when the fullback is caught up field. That's something that Maguire and Lindelof will never excell at IMO, hence we'll revert to type in a low block against quality attacks. If the new CB is also strong aerially then we've got the player that has the potential to be our 'Alpha CB' in a high-line and in a deep defensive line.

tjb

Maguire is fine. The problem he has at United is that none of his partners are good in dealing with aerial situations. Bailly is the closest in decency and their run together a few weeks ago showed how solid the defence would be with that. His lack of pace is hardly exposed and is not something we need to focus on too much. Tuanzebe has shown he is not the partner, so now we need to go hard in the market.

RooneyLegend

Maguire is fine. The problem he has at United is that none of his partners are good in dealing with aerial situations. Bailly is the closest in decency and their run together a few weeks ago showed how solid the defence would be with that. His lack of pace is hardly exposed and is not something we need to focus on too much. Tuanzebe has shown he is not the partner, so now we need to go hard in the market.
There's nothing fine about Maguire at all.

Dan_F

I think we get too hung up on the term 'world class' and lose sight of what we as a team require as far as the profile of the player is concerned. In this instance what we need is a CB who is strong in defending the channel when the fullback is caught up field. That's something that Maguire and Lindelof will never excell at IMO, hence we'll revert to type in a low block against quality attacks. If the new CB is also strong aerially then we've got the player that has the potential to be our 'Alpha CB' in a high-line and in a deep defensive line.
Definitely. But you’ve basically described what most people would consider to be world class attributes in a central defender these days. A strong, quick defender, who can read the game and be strong in the air. Passing ability also needed too.

LuckyScout78

If i was United manager and DOF and gave the last word at United and to be really really honest.

Lindelof and Maguire not good enough.

Mine recommendations and CB options/targets

De Ligt - Juventus
Edmond Tabsoba - Bayer Leverkusen
Jannik Vestergaard - Southampton
Teden Mengi - Up from U23
Keeping Bailly - Need a bad ass of a CB

4 established CB + A young upcoming promising CB knocking on the door and those 4 established Cbs competition and have to work hard for theirs places. No favorite CB and no guarantee. You can be drop even you are captain. Repeating mistakes = to the bench.

De Ligt/Bailly/Mengi - Vestergaard/Tabsoba

There you get. The 4 names of CB beside a fully fit Bailly will strength and improve United CB and defend. 100 % sure and convinced about that.

De Ligt - ability and braveness to reach the ball first on set piece. Still young but a leader
Bailly - pace and one on one ability
Teden Mengi - pacey and aggressive CB. With good ball skills
Jannik Vestergaard- A dictate and playmaker CB and air ability
Edmond Tabsoba- A allround and composure CB

That are mine 5 CB options. If I am United manager and DOF. Definitely better than United current CB optins. 100 % convinced about that. Have the set piece air ability, pacey CB, leaders and ball and dictating CB.
Bailly and Mengi are already in the club. Only De Ligt is playing for a big club in Europe. But Juventus had sold one of they biggest player to United. So not a unrealistic target.

Defending your goal and kingdom first/your main job and priority. Ball ability second. Defend your goal and kingdom no matter what. Because if you are focusing on attacking as a CB, but forget how to protect your kingdom and castle. Be to open and with too few defenders. You will lost your castle and kingdom anytime. Simple logical and strategy.
In boxing = up with your guard and protect your face. Defending is as important as scoring goals.

United need to fix and solve they CB and defending. Before United can win the league. A strong and solid defend win you titles. United are not there yet. And those 4 names above include Teden Mengi will strength it. 100 % sure.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
How exactly is Maguire fine ? He can't run, he isn't aggressive enough, he doesn't have huge leap, he isn't great at 1-1. He is great in air and quite good in bringing the ball up.

Starting to actually think if we should have kept Smalling.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If i was United manager and DOF and gave the last word at United and to be really really honest.

Lindelof and Maguire not good enough.

Mine recommendations and CB options/targets

De Ligt - Juventus
Edmond Tabsoba - Bayer Leverkusen
Jannik Vestergaard - Southampton
Teden Mengi - Up from U23
Keeping Bailly - Need a bad ass of a CB

4 established CB + A young upcoming promising CB knocking on the door and those 4 established Cbs competition and have to work hard for theirs places. No favorite CB and no guarantee. You can be drop even you are captain. Repeating mistakes = to the bench.

De Ligt/Bailly/Mengi - Vestergaard/Tabsoba

There you get. The 4 names of CB beside a fully fit Bailly will strength and improve United CB and defend. 100 % sure and convinced about that.

De Ligt - ability and braveness to reach the ball first on set piece. Still young but a leader
Bailly - pace and one on one ability
Teden Mengi - pacey and aggressive CB. With good ball skills
Jannik Vestergaard- A dictate and playmaker CB and air ability
Edmond Tabsoba- A allround and composure CB

That are mine 5 CB options. If I am United manager and DOF. Definitely better than United current CB optins. 100 % convinced about that. Have the set piece air ability, pacey CB, leaders and ball and dictating CB.
Bailly and Mengi are already in the club. Only De Ligt is playing for a big club in Europe. But Juventus had sold one of they biggest player to United. So not a unrealistic target.

Defending your goal and kingdom first/your main job and priority. Ball ability second. Defend your goal and kingdom no matter what. Because if you are focusing on attacking as a CB, but forget how to protect your kingdom and castle. Be to open and with too few defenders. You will lost your castle and kingdom anytime. Simple logical and strategy.
In boxing = up with your guard and protect your face. Defending is as important as scoring goals.

United need to fix and solve they CB and defending. Before United can win the league. A strong and solid defend win you titles. United are not there yet. And those 4 names above include Teden Mengi will strength it. 100 % sure.
How many times have you watched Mengi play?

bsCallout

Maguire got skinned? What are you on? I'll have some.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Definitely. But you’ve basically described what most people would consider to be world class attributes in a central defender these days. A strong, quick defender, who can read the game and be strong in the air. Passing ability also needed too.
Passing ability has to be good by default imo and some CBs will be better than others in that regard.

The attributes are of a potentially World Class CB in the making but our CB signings post Fergie haven't matched the criteria/profile that i've mentioned. Which for me personally, is a huge dissapointment.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Kounde. He has pace, strong, top ball playing, can read the game well and good one on one. Proven winning trophy too. Despite of his height, he still good with his heading.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'd seriously take Ramos right now, we need leaders in that backline and whilst I think Maguire is fine as an option he should be nowhere near the captiancy

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think you're right in that he isn't someone that leads by organising a lot and he is certainly slow. However, I don't think his positioning is poor as it's all relative to more factors than just him being in a weird position doing something that looks weird. It's often a reason why he is out of position, imo but I do agree he does makes some weird moves at times. I also think we need two quality CB's, but if you think Lindelof is bailing Maguire out I don't know how to find a way into a normal debate. Lindelof is horrible in contrast to Maguire, truly. I think both have been just decent in terms of performances this season but Maguire has been and clearly is the better player, even without being a leader. For perspective I think Micheal Keane, Stones, Mee, Coady is easily all better defenders than Lindelof, but Maguire is a lot better than all of those guys. It's about balance and chemistry and I've not seen anyone playing well next to Lindelof for a sustainable amount of time, not one CB.

Art

Art the artist
Defense wins championships. With someone as error prone as Harry Maguire at the heart of ours, it’ll be a while before we taste success in the form of silverware. Yeah we may go on a good run or two, but center back is an important position which we got incredibly wrong with recruitment.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Give us a pacey aggressive cb who can defend please. We basically need to give Bailiy new knees and legs to go with them

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Konaté has to be first choice for me, for a combination of reasons - including a €40m release clause by all accounts. He edges Koundé for me just because of price and height - although Koundé is brilliant and I’d gladly have him here too.

We need a centre half, defensive midfielder and centre forward IMO to complete the team, and centre half will likely be the cheapest of the three! A striker isn’t even that imperative if we cannot get Haaland tbh, but if we can - then that would be about £100m alone. In midfield I just want a midfielder who is comfortable in possession. Like, really comfortable - top level, who can resist pressure and pass to teammates. Said before, but if we could find £100m, I’m sure we could bully Barcelona for De Jong right now as we may well just be saving their club by doing so! That said, I suspect we’ll integrate Garner instead.

croadyman

If Ibrahima Konate is over his injuries then he should be the #1 priority and is absolutely made for the hustle and bustle of our league IMO.
Very hard to see Leipzig letting both of their top CB's leave this summer and have we got the money too

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Very hard to see Leipzig letting both of their top CB's leave this summer and have we got the money too
There seems to be a lot of uncertainty over when Konate's release clause activates. Most of the reports now seem to be saying it's at the end of this season so Leipzig won't really have a choice in the matter. I thought earlier reports said it was at the end of 21/22 though, so not sure which one is accurate.

croadyman

I'd seriously take Ramos right now, we need leaders in that backline and whilst I think Maguire is fine as an option he should be nowhere near the captiancy
I would as well but fairly sure he will come to an agreement with Real eventually

croadyman

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty over when Konate's release clause activates. Most of the reports now seem to be saying it's at the end of this season so Leipzig won't really have a choice in the matter. I thought earlier reports said it was at the end of 21/22 though, so not sure which one is accurate.
Well looking at a couple of reports it suggests it's this summer but stunned if it really is 40m euros

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I would as well but fairly sure he will come to an agreement with Real eventually
I reckon he'll go to PSG, easy league with massive wages for his last few years. And if they finally win the CL whilst he's there it'll only enhance his legacy.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Leipzig have already made moves for two young CBs in Gvardiol and Simikan who will both expect to be starters at the club. Gvardiol is a LCB and Simikan is a RCB. They also have Willi Orban at the club who is a decent CB as back up. They've also signed the highly rated young Hungarian midfielder (Szsobozslai) from Salzburg. They will arguably be stronger next season and it seems they have prepared for a significant cash injection from the sales of both Upamecano and Konate.

Konate is now back in the Leipzig squad and injury permitting, it will be either Liverpool or United who will sign him IMO.

croadyman

Leipzig have already made moves for two young CBs in Gvardiol and Simikan who will both expect to be starters at the club. Gvardiol is a LCB and Simikan is a RCB. They also have Willi Orban at the club who is a decent CB as back up. They've also signed the highly rated young Hungarian midfielder (Szsobozslai) from Salzburg. They will arguably be stronger next season and it seems they have prepared for a significant cash injection from the sales of both Upamecano and Konate.

Konate is now back in the Leipzig squad and injury permitting, it will be either Liverpool or United who will sign him IMO.

Could live with them getting Upamecano and us Konate

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Could live with them getting Upamecano and us Konate
Upamecano looks nailed on for Bayern and Konate is reported to harbour dreams about playing in the English premier league according to German media.

croadyman

Upamecano looks nailed on for Bayern and Konate is reported to harbour dreams about playing in the English premier league according to German media.
Lets hope he wants us over them scouse bastards

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fecking hell this day just gets worse
But we're also interested according to Christian Falk. But even if we miss out on him, keep the faith mate, because we'll sign someone worthy, if the criteria being reported is anything to go by.