Potential full back signings

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Its pretty clear we need a set of full backs - one right and one left.

Who are the best options available ?

Will start with the below names.

Wan-Bissaka
Max Aarons
Alex Telles

Sparky Rhiwabon

What do you mean by “available”? Do you mean, any player (as in everyone has their price)? Otherwise it’s difficult to know who is or isn’t available.

bond19821982

What do you mean by “available”? Do you mean, any player (as in everyone has their price)? Otherwise it’s difficult to know who is or isn’t available.
Ofcourse we are not getting Marcelo or Robertson . So realistic signings

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tierney left back, right back I think we should just sit on them and wait for Dalot to develop a bit more. Between Valencia, Young, Dalot and Fosu Mensah we can get bye in that position in hope that he fulfills his potential. Having both Shaw and Tierney would also be kinda weird though. So it's a weird situation where we need to be pretty ruthless with Shaw if we dont think he'll ever be good enough or leave him for a lifetime of being a squad player at best if we sign someone like Tierney to be the main guy.

Canagel

Fosu Mensah is a DM. He's nowhere near good enough in attack to be our RB

bond19821982

Tierney left back, right back I think we should just sit on them and wait for Dalot to develop a bit more. Between Valencia, Young, Dalot and Fosu Mensah we can get bye in that position in hope that he fulfills his potential. Having both Shaw and Tierney would also be kinda weird though. So it's a weird situation where we need to be pretty ruthless with Shaw if we dont think he'll ever be good enough or leave him for a lifetime of being a squad player at best if we sign someone like Tierney to be the main guy.
Full backs being the key, its okay to have multiple quality players, especially considering Shaw is very injury prone.
Would get rid off Darmian, Valencia.
Keep Shaw, Dalot,Young and 2 more.
Young to be released/sold next year.

Red_toad

Wan Bissaka is great defensively, but for United we need more offensive full backs, as we're supposed to dominate possession the majority of games. Telles looks very good offensively, but would have to see if he'd transfer his ability to our league. I'd say we're in need of a Valencia replacement and someone akin to Young who can play both sides.

No Love

What’s the verdict on Kevin Mbabu? Is he someone we should be looking at?

Devil may care

We wont get 2 fullbacks IMO as Young and Dalot will continue to job share the RB position, but if we did go all in on fullbacks I'd opt for the below.

RB - Hakimi
LB - Chilwell or Telles

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Never mind that what does he mean it's pretty clear?

Both Shaw and Dalot of done great so far this season

dutchred

if i was Laird and United signed a right back now I would start looking for a new club. This guy is the defense equivalent of Mason Greenwood.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We wont get 2 fullbacks IMO as Young and Dalot will continue to job share the RB position, but if we did go all in on fullbacks I'd opt for the below.

RB - Hakimi
LB - Chilwell or Telles
Is Hakimi the Real lad? what's he like?

I'd prefer we signed Milenkovic and use him as the RB cover and stick with Dalot.

Plenty of LB available though for good prices: Telles, Tierney being two.

The Irish Connection

Agree with your options. Matt Doherty for me because I’m biased, but also because he’s been very good for wolves. Always loved having Irish players in the United squad.

lex talionis

I see no reason why Dalot and Shaw cannot be feature prominently for United next season. If we're looking for depth we can wring out another season from Young who can play on either side. And despite some of the reservations expressed here about Fosu-Mensah I'm confident he can do a job for us as cover for Dalot. Tuanzebe as well. I assume Valencia and Darmian won't be here next season but if Darmian were to remain on the books he'd be another decent right/left squad option.

The greater need to address going into next season is at CB.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A few good performances from Dalot and people will quickly change their tune on a new RB. We also have Ethan Laird who is a big prospect at RB. I don't think we need a RB at all, we're actually quite blessed to have two outstanding young talents for the position.

I personally would like us to sign a LB to compete with Shaw. I've seen people mention Chillwell, who is a very promising fullback but isn't quick, which would be a hinderance IMO. Tierney is the one we should target. He has good pace and dribbling to go along with good delivery, which would be a upgrade on Shaw IMO.

bucky

RB - Hakimi
LB
- Chilwell or Telles
I highly doubt that Madrid are going to be foolish enough to let him go. If anything, they need to move on from Odriozola, he's clearly inferior to Hakimi.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Kieran Tierney without doubt. He the type of player we should have bought even if we did not need a left back. Looks exceptionally talented and like a professional who could become a Robsontype of captain.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Full backs being the key, its okay to have multiple quality players, especially considering Shaw is very injury prone.
Would get rid off Darmian, Valencia.
Keep Shaw, Dalot,Young and 2 more.
Young to be released/sold next year.
It's okay to have competition for places but among your defenders it's always good to have a clearly defined back 4. Look at any Fergies teams. You could name all the back 4s while the midfield and attack had plenty of rotation. That's why it's a weird position for us. Shaw is kind of on the edge of being good enough/needing to upgrade, but young enough to stick with him. Dalot we hope will be good enough, so why get another right back when we have multiple players who can be players, dalot who could turn into a top right back pretty soon, and another young player from our youth who can play there at premier league level anyway (fosu-mensah). Buying a right back would make no sense especially when we want to go back to our traditions and give the youth their chances.

bucky

In order of preference:

LB: Ferland Mendy, Tierney, Aaron Martin, Chilwell, Amavi
RB: Atal, Mazraoui, Dumfries

bond19821982

It's okay to have competition for places but among your defenders it's always good to have a clearly defined back 4. Look at any Fergies teams. You could name all the back 4s while the midfield and attack had plenty of rotation. That's why it's a weird position for us. Shaw is kind of on the edge of being good enough/needing to upgrade, but young enough to stick with him. Dalot we hope will be good enough, so why get another right back when we have multiple players who can be players, dalot who could turn into a top right back pretty soon, and another young player from our youth who can play there at premier league level anyway (fosu-mensah). Buying a right back would make no sense especially when we want to go back to our traditions and give the youth their chances.
You cant compare with Fergie days as we played with wingers and the width came from them as well.
Lets take the case of Poch - he always has 4 quality FBs and I would expect the same thing with us if he takes over.

Agree 4 would be a overkill but you would still need to have sufficient quality options.

TFM will not make it with us unfortunately.

poleglass red

Tierney at left back. Great in defence and in attack. would slot right in seamlessly. he's a leader as well.

JohnnyLaw

I highly doubt that Madrid are going to be foolish enough to let him go. If anything, they need to move on from Odriozola, he's clearly inferior to Hakimi.
Was made aware the other day that his loan to Dortmund is over two seasons, I don’t think we can wait that long to be honest.

But I saw that Carvajal was in some journos pick for the best 11 in La liga for the first half of the season. As long as Carvajal’s performing, being better than Odriozola wont matter. I think it’s unlikely someone as talented as Hakimi would be happy playing second fiddle to Carvajal who’s still just turning 27 in 2019.

dutchred

Do you think Laird will be ready next season?
Nobody knows for sure but at some point you have to trust the talent you see. I rate him higher than the young backs at Liverpool and Tottenham and they are not doing too badly.

Mcking

I don't think we need another youngster, especially at right back. I'd like us to go for someone like the Ajax LB to provide comp for Shaw.

dutchred

I don't think we need another youngster, especially at right back. I'd like us to go for someone like the Ajax LB to provide comp for Shaw.
Even if that youngster is better than any available full back? Do you watch the reserves? Everyone is talking about Mason because he scores goals. Thus guy is as potentially as good
I watch Tagliafico every week at Ajax and he is great going forward, but hardly the best defender. When we played PSV both Lozano and Bergwijn skinned hin

Devil may care

Yeah, that’s the one.
He's very fast but pretty raw from the games I've seen him in.

if i was Laird and United signed a right back now I would start looking for a new club. This guy is the defense equivalent of Mason Greenwood.
Why? Should Shaw leave if we buy a LB? A lot of top teams are 2 deep in the FB positions as it's a role that sees a lot of rotation due to how much work it is these days, and Laird is only 17, this can be an issue at United that there is a rush to get kids into the senior team when in truth that leap is enormous, if he's really that great his time would come regardless.

Is Hakimi the Real lad? what's he like?

I'd prefer we signed Milenkovic and use him as the RB cover and stick with Dalot.

Plenty of LB available though for good prices: Telles, Tierney being two.
Yeah, he's owned by Real, fantastic talent, great technical ability and a good passer inside the channel as well as providing a threat on the overlap.

I don't like giant converted CB's as fullback's personally, it's an attacking position and the general consensus I've seen is that Milenkovic is mediocre at FB and should stick to being a CB.

I see Tierney mentioned a lot, he's only played in a pub league which is my concern with him.

A few good performances from Dalot and people will quickly change their tune on a new RB. We also have Ethan Laird who is a big prospect at RB. I don't think we need a RB at all, we're actually quite blessed to have two outstanding young talents for the position.
It's not about Dalot having good performances, he's already had a couple, but his competition is a 34 year old has-been winger, making his competition a kid when he's still a kid himself isn't very prudent either IMO.

I was impressed with Odriozola when I saw him at Sociedad, could his poor season be part of Real's general funk post Zidane and Ronaldo?

Georgan

Farland Mendy for the left back position and Wan-Bissaka for the right back position, we should be good if we get one of this two in that role considering we have Luke to rotate on the left and Diogo on the right.

Kostov

Wan-Bissaka and Tierney if I had to choose for each position. But I want Shaw and Dalot to get their fair run of games.