Potential full back signings

dutchred

Devil may care said "It's not about Dalot having good performances, he's already had a couple, but his competition is a 34 year old has-been winger, making his competition a kid when he's still a kid himself isn't very prudent either IMO."

Dalot and Laird should be competition with each other which is why I dont want us to buy a right back

Andersonson

We need a good RB. Not a talent, but someone who comes in and makes us better. We should upgrade on Shaw aswell, but RB and a CB first

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ferland Mendy is two footed, so he should be the only signing to make.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In order of preference:

LB: Ferland Mendy, Tierney, Aaron Martin, Chilwell, Amavi
RB: Atal, Mazraoui, Dumfries
Atal looks brilliant the few times I've watched him. His ability to influence the game from RB and carry the team up the pitch is phenomenal, especially for a player so young. I doubt we'll buy another young full back anytime soon however, with Dalot and Shaw already being relatively young. O'Connor and Laird are two of the best underage full backs in the sport too, and are both being held back by underage football I think.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's very fast but pretty raw from the games I've seen him in.

Why? Should Shaw leave if we buy a LB? A lot of top teams are 2 deep in the FB positions as it's a role that sees a lot of rotation due to how much work it is these days, and Laird is only 17, this can be an issue at United that there is a rush to get kids into the senior team when in truth that leap is enormous, if he's really that great his time would come regardless.

Yeah, he's owned by Real, fantastic talent, great technical ability and a good passer inside the channel as well as providing a threat on the overlap.

I don't like giant converted CB's as fullback's personally, it's an attacking position and the general consensus I've seen is that Milenkovic is mediocre at FB and should stick to being a CB.

I see Tierney mentioned a lot, he's only played in a pub league which is my concern with him.

It's not about Dalot having good performances, he's already had a couple, but his competition is a 34 year old has-been winger, making his competition a kid when he's still a kid himself isn't very prudent either IMO.

I was impressed with Odriozola when I saw him at Sociedad, could his poor season be part of Real's general funk post Zidane and Ronaldo?
If we're prudent, then we won't panic and lose our heads. We have two outstanding prospects for the RB slot and can keep Ashley Young around until Laird is deemed ready. Laird is a huge prospect that IMO will break through next season. No need to waste money at RB.

Mcking

Even if that youngster is better than any available full back? Do you watch the reserves? Everyone is talking about Mason because he scores goals. Thus guy is as potentially as good
I watch Tagliafico every week at Ajax and he is great going forward, but hardly the best defender. When we played PSV both Lozano and Bergwijn skinned hin
Who? Laird?

bucky

Why? Should Shaw leave if we buy a LB? A lot of top teams are 2 deep in the FB positions as it's a role that sees a lot of rotation due to how much work it is these days, and Laird is only 17, this can be an issue at United that there is a rush to get kids into the senior team when in truth that leap is enormous, if he's really that great his time would come regardless.

I don't like giant converted CB's as fullback's personally, it's an attacking position and the general consensus I've seen is that Milenkovic is mediocre at FB and should stick to being a CB.

I see Tierney mentioned a lot, he's only played in a pub league which is my concern with him.

It's not about Dalot having good performances, he's already had a couple, but his competition is a 34 year old has-been winger, making his competition a kid when he's still a kid himself isn't very prudent either IMO.

I was impressed with Odriozola when I saw him at Sociedad, could his poor season be part of Real's general funk post Zidane and Ronaldo?
So did van Dijk, who had no problem whatsoever converting to the EPL and he immediately was one of the best CBs in the league.

I don't think so. It's just that Hakimi is simply a better player than Odriozola currently, no matter the circumstances. There are a few players, who are still performing for Madrid, despite their slump.

I agree with your sentiment that we should have better competition in the FB area and it shouldn't be Young.

Devil may care

If we're prudent, then we won't panic and lose our heads. We have two outstanding prospects for the RB slot and can keep Ashley Young around until Laird is deemed ready. Laird is a huge prospect that IMO will break through next season. No need to waste money at RB.
I disagree, Dalot has at least played some senior football and is a prospect with a degree of seasoning, but still super inexperienced, Young is crap and Laird is a 17 year old who probably needs a couple of loans. Fullbacks are absolutely crucial if we are to play this new style successfully, as they need to be like wingers providing consistent attacking width, basically placing our team dynamic and system on the hopes of 2 kids and a past it winger is just asking for trouble once again IMO.

Minimalist

For some reason I'm always surprised we can't produce one or two good full-backs of our own (every few years).

I guess I underestimate the full-back position.

Devil may care

So did van Dijk, who had no problem whatsoever converting to the EPL and he immediately was one of the best CBs in the league.

I don't think so. It's just that Hakimi is simply a better player than Odriozola currently, no matter the circumstances. There are a few players, who are still performing for Madrid, despite their slump.

I agree with your sentiment that we should have better competition in the FB area and it shouldn't be Young.

I personally wouldn't go that far, I thought van Dijk took time to settle and physically he's a monster so the transition should be easier for him, and he had a small move to a mid table team with no expectations, it's different to jumping from the SPL to Manchester United IMO.

Fair enough, I really like Hakimi and he is thriving at Dortmund where the conditions are ideal for a young player, I was just wondering if perhaps the stage of Real along with the bad season they are having might have effected Odriozola.

This should be the last season for Young and Valencia, it's crazy how much time we have spent without proper top class fullbacks when they are such a huge part of the modern game, but despite my views I fully expect Young and Dalot to be our RB's next season, in factd knowing us we'll probably keep Valencia around as well so young can cover Shaw and we wont add any depth to LB either, this could be the next managers first big battle with the board.

bucky

I personally wouldn't go that far, I thought van Dijk took time to settle and physically he's a monster so the transition should be easier for him, and he had a small move to a mid table team with no expectations, it's different to jumping from the SPL to Manchester United IMO.

Fair enough, I really like Hakimi and he is thriving at Dortmund where the conditions are ideal for a young player, I was just wondering if perhaps the stage of Real along with the bad season they are having might have effected Odriozola.

This should be the last season for Young and Valencia, it's crazy how much time we have spent without proper top class fullbacks when they are such a huge part of the modern game, but despite my views I fully expect Young and Dalot to be our RB's next season, in factd knowing us we'll probably keep Valencia around as well so young can cover Shaw and we wont add any depth to LB either, this could be the next managers first big battle with the board.
He was voted players' and fan's player of the season at the end of his first season. At this point in time saying that he was one of the best CBs in the league isn't that huge praise either. Players from lesser leagues can still have positives impacts. Hernandez is a good example. With Shaw around, Tierney wouldn't need to take over the LB spot immediately.

I really hope we are less sentimental and as ruthless as we need to be to compete for what we always say we want to compete for.

Mcking

Yes Laird
Read my post again, I think we are on the same page. We have two decent prospects at RB - Dalot and Laird, so I'd like us to focus on developing them rather than adding another young RB - for those suggesting Hakimi, Dumfries Aarons etc. As for LB, I think someone like Tagliafico won't cost much, will provide decent competition and offer something different from Shaw. I just don't want us to spend big on another fullback - especially a young one - when we already have three potentially excellent ones within our ranks.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Only the more unrealistic targets are acquisitions who possesses the quality needed. We have youngsters, we have numbers, that isn't the problem. We need to replace Young and Valencia with someone great in their prime. If we could get just one guy like César Azpilicueta in, then it would give all youngsters more time and the team more immediate quality. Shaw could be pushed further up the left, with Azpi more reserved. We could even drop Shaw when he is out of form and play Azpi there with Dalot coming in on the right, allowed to be offensive.

It is to many uncertainties at the moment at fullback, actually the whole defence in general, but we need quality, not numbers.

deafepl

Not Tierney, Ghoulam is probably one of the best-attacking fullbacks in the world, can be comfortable on under heavy pressure, unlike Young who would hoof if came under pressure, better crosser, better cut-back, can beat 1v1, has killer passes, very fast like Walker and work so hard. He's like Juve's Cancelo in attacking but also very good at defending and much better than Sandro.

Suvvernmanc

I thought that Demetri Mitchell deserved his shot but after a great first season at Hearts it seems it has all gone wrong for him. The Hearts fans seem to think he's not cut out for it and isn't good enough this season.

Shaw, Young, Dalot and one more young talent would be good. Valencia and Darmian should go as they just aren't good enough and buying a top talent for either full back position would just take game time from Shaw and Dalot. We need players that can push them, not displace them. I rate them both highly enough as our future full backs for years to come.

Young would need replacing in the near future but is a good reliable figure to have around. He is underated in my opinion, he's no Marcelo but he's a good player.

Players that are actually available, and are in the position to come but not expecting to be a starter every game could be difficult to find but not impossible. There are so many talented left backs about that we shoud be able to find one. Off the top of my head, Kieran Tierney, Faouzi Ghoulam, Danny rose, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Ben Chilwell are all good enough and are all getable.

JohnnyLaw

Meunier will be entering his final year with PSG in the summer, has had issues with the PSG-fans in the past and is a self-proclaimed United fan. Seems like a great opportunity for us to bring in someone more experienced to couple with Dalot.

sam147

Fosu Mensah back to compete with Dalot for RB position. At left back is where we need a new signing. Dalot showed us in one game how important it is to have a fullback that can beat a man. Shaw hasnt been doing that. He cannot be relied on to stay fit, is an injury concern, defensively poor at times and attacking is average. Juventus will hold us to ransom. We should go for Alex Telles from Porto. Experienced LB with great ability going forward and a solid engine. Keep Darmian to cover LB and RB in an injury crisis.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Pochettino will make this his priority. He loves them more than a fat kid loves cake.

Right-back: 1.)Hakimi 2.) Youcef Atal 3. ) Kyle Walker Peters
Left-back: 1.) Ben Chillwell 2.) Phillip Max 3.) Rose

De Gea
Hakimi - Koulabaly - Lindelöf - Chillwell

Romero
Dalot/Laird - Bailly - Smalling - Shaw

#CR7

Meunier will be entering his final year with PSG in the summer, has had issues with the PSG-fans in the past and is a self-proclaimed United fan. Seems like a great opportunity for us to bring in someone more experienced to couple with Dalot.
Meunier is the perfect age too (27). With our other young fullbacks coming through, signing someone for the now seems like the most logical thing to do.

blacktiger 10

For RB position , I think we should sign for Youcef Attal, he is very young but extremely talented.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devil may care

He was voted players' and fan's player of the season at the end of his first season. At this point in time saying that he was one of the best CBs in the league isn't that huge praise either. Players from lesser leagues can still have positives impacts. Hernandez is a good example. With Shaw around, Tierney wouldn't need to take over the LB spot immediately.

I really hope we are less sentimental and as ruthless as we need to be to compete for what we always say we want to compete for.
I agree that players can come from lower leagues and pan out, I mean I would love de Ligt and de Jong at United and I'm sure many would argue that the Dutch league is not a good league either these days. I just think the SPL is a few notches down from even the third tier leagues and van Dijk's physical attributes made for an easier transition, but I'm not saying Tierney can't however there's a few I'd choose before him as I think he's a big risk.

Agreed but I'm not sure if it's so much sentimentality as it is about frugality as fullback's don't sell shirts or get used for brand deals.

I didn't realize he was in his last year, he'd be a very smart bit of business for us as he's got experience and shouldn't cost the kind of money that will prevent Dalot for getting plenty of games.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fosu Mensah back to compete with Dalot for RB position. At left back is where we need a new signing. Dalot showed us in one game how important it is to have a fullback that can beat a man. Shaw hasnt been doing that. He cannot be relied on to stay fit, is an injury concern, defensively poor at times and attacking is average. Juventus will hold us to ransom. We should go for Alex Telles from Porto. Experienced LB with great ability going forward and a solid engine. Keep Darmian to cover LB and RB in an injury crisis.
What we need is attacking modern days full back not having a full back who's poor going forward like Fosu Mensah. Mensah doesn't tick the box to be modern full backs.

Sanche7

Not Tierney, Ghoulam is probably one of the best-attacking fullbacks in the world, can be comfortable on under heavy pressure, unlike Young who would hoof if came under pressure, better crosser, better cut-back, can beat 1v1, has killer passes, very fast like Walker and work so hard. He's like Juve's Cancelo in attacking but also very good at defending and much better than Sandro.
Multiple Reccurent injuries to the same leg / joint, can't remember correctly but I don't think he would be a safe investment

Also why no love for Alex Telles? Allegedly has a 35 million euro release clause and is youngish, very good going forward from what little I've seen of him. RB is not a big priority IMO but LB sure is, I am not very convinced about Shaw to be honest

sam147

What we need is attacking modern days full back not having a full back who's poor going forward like Fosu Mensah. Mensah doesn't tick the box to be modern full backs.
That's why I said Mensah to 'compete' with a lad named Diogo Dalot. Did I say give him a ten year contract and make the RB position his and only his? Dalot has shown his potential. We wont sign two FBs in one window so I would prefer we sign a LB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's why I said Mensah to 'compete' with a lad named Diogo Dalot. Did I say give him a ten year contract and make the RB position his and only his? Dalot has shown his potential. We wont sign two FBs in one window so I would prefer we sign a LB.
What? You don't make any sense. Stop denying what you said.

You want him to compete with Dalot for RB position. That's more than enough to tell me that you want him to play as a modern attacking right back.

City signed 3 full backs in one window, of course we can sign more than one full back in one window.

SteveW

We need 2 flying full backs for each side. Poch for example constantly rotates full backs because he expects insane amounts of running from them.

I'd consider waiting on Dalot/Laird for rb. Both will be excellent imo. Young and Tony will hold things together while they develop.

So a left back to push Shaw should be the focus.

ROFLUTION

Meunier only has a contract til 2020, so I guess he might be attainable this summer?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Is pavard to Bayern a done deal? We should at least have a good chance if agent Pogba is recruiting. Pavard and chilwell would be a good start.

steakpie

Why on earth would we sign a RB?

People writing off Dalot already? Some fans are mad.

Bestietom

Milenkovic. CB, RB, DM, can play all of these positions. One of the best prospects out there. imo.

JohnnyLaw

Why on earth would we sign a RB?

People writing off Dalot already? Some fans are mad.
No but both of Youngs and Valencias contracts are up in the summer and in all fairness we shouldn’t be extending them. Dalot has talent but he’s obviously not ready to be relied on yet.

No but both of Youngs and Valencias contracts are up in the summer and in all fairness we shouldn’t be extending them. Dalot has talent but he’s obviously not ready to be relied on yet.
Let’s see what he does in the next 6 months. If he pushes on and makes progress him and Young next year would be fine. Valencia should be gone, but Young can cover a no of positions, and has the right attitude as a squad player.

I think LB is the position we are more in need of strengthening this summer. Need to provide some decent competition to Shaw. With Darmian gone, and hopefully Rojo (who is a pathetic left back in any case), we are really short in that area.