Potential full back signings

steakpie

No but both of Youngs and Valencias contracts are up in the summer and in all fairness we shouldn’t be extending them. Dalot has talent but he’s obviously not ready to be relied on yet.
I wouldn't extend Valencia's contract, he looks like he has lost his explosiveness. Young I would consider. In my opinion, Dalot is ready. He is physically strong enough.

Here is an idea, what do you guys think of Herrera being used as a right back? I think it would work.

UpWithRivers

Pavard makes sense to me. Ok hasnt had a good season but that makes him cheap. He has the potential to be a great player- has all the attributes and is only 22? Can play at CB and RB. Gives us cover in both positions. Reports say bayern deal not done. If the 35 mill euros is accurate then even if we pay 50 we will not get a better option in this market.

CM

I like the Meunier shout. He has the attacking quality and physical traits to be successful for us but he's also experienced enough that it would allow us to make a clean break from Young and Valencia. His contract situation should make it doable too.

davidmichael

I think between Dalot, Young and Laird coming through we’re fine at right back so I’d sign another left back, I’d be happy with either of Telles or Tierney as neither would be ridiculously overpriced but are both very good with potential to get even better.

I’d get rid of Valencia, Darmian and Rojo as none of them are good enough and will only regress further so it’s about time we shifted the dead wood and freed up space and money. I’d also get rid of Jones then bring in a quality centre back and recall Tuanzebe then that’s us set defensively at least.

Kag

We don’t need a right back. Some of you lot bleat on about wasting money yet find it difficult to put faith in a talented kid that cost the club 20 bastard million. Nutters. Meanwhile, Liverpool get praised to the hilt for promoting Alexander-Arnold and utilising their academy kids.

Play Dalot, use Valencia and Young to help him out and spend money (wisely) on positions we actually need to improve: right winger, centre half.

We need cover and competition for Shaw, though. A left back that can whip in a cross. Tierney looks the business.

JohnnyLaw

We don’t need a right back. Some of you lot bleat on about wasting money yet find it difficult to put faith in a talented kid that cost the club 20 bastard million. Nutters. Meanwhile, Liverpool get praised to the hilt for promoting Alexander-Arnold and utilising their academy kids.

Play Dalot, use Valencia and Young to help him out and spend money (wisely) on positions we actually need to improve: right winger, centre half.

We need cover and competition for Shaw, though. A left back that can whip in a cross. Tierney looks the business.

You could say the same about centre halves and be more credible IMO.

TAA Has been gradually introduced into Liverpools squad over the course of the last two seasons though, he wasn’t just thrown into the deep end with no other alternative.
I don’t think that Dalot looks anywhere near ready to lead the position based on what we’ve seen so far.

Even if we keep Young and/or Valencia for another season we have to bring in an alternative before too long, why not now?
Especially if an opportunity to sign someone like Meunier should arise.

izec

Fosu Mensah is a DM. He's nowhere near good enough in attack to be our RB
He isnt a DM either. What we have seen so far of him, no decent club would have him as a DM with his rashness and headless chicken impression. At this point, no one knows where he will end up. Thats his biggest issue, he has no position. Some say RB, some say CB, and some say DM. Realistically, he isnt good enough in any of these positions to make an impression here going by what he has shown so far.

Kag

You could say the same about centre halves and be more credible IMO.

TAA Has been gradually introduced into Liverpools squad over the course of the last two seasons though, he wasn’t just thrown into the deep end with no other alternative.
I don’t think that Dalot looks anywhere near ready to lead the position based on what we’ve seen so far.

Even if we keep Young and/or Valencia for another season we have to bring in an alternative before too long, why not now?
Especially if an opportunity to sign someone like Meunier should arise.
The centre halves have no relevance.

We’ve bought a £20 million right back and he looks very talented. You use the rest of this season to bed him in and take it from there. If it’s overwhelmingly apparent that he’s not up to it (and I don’t think this is the case given what I’ve seen so far) then you reassess. But for now it isn’t a priority.

Buying a first choice right back from PSG to the tune of another 30 odd million negates the initial (very expensive) purchase of Dalot and neglects other positions that actually do need looking at: namely centre half, left back and right wing.

Alexander-Arnold was given a shot and took it with both hands. He wasn’t first choice at the start of last season and finished the season playing for England at a World Cup. It’s amazing what a young player can do if only given the chance. If Dalot encounters difficulties, then we’ve got Valencia. Who in spite of being thrown under the bus by the previous twat in charge, is still a dependable option at right back.

The sooner people stop viewing young footballers under the illusion they improve without playing the better. I’m not throwing that at you necessarily, but it’s an irritating outlook that many seem to hold.

Fosu-Mens

Dalot/Young/Laird as options on the right next season.
Tierney/Shaw/Young on the left.

If clubs are interested in Shaw and we get a decent price, then we should consider it. Valencia and Darmian should not be at the club next season.
Since we will not challenge for the title next season, it is better to give some of the young and talented players a chance similar to the one given to TAA.

JohnnyLaw

The centre halves have no relevance.

We’ve bought a £20 million right back and he looks very talented. You use the rest of this season to bed him in and take it from there. If it’s overwhelmingly apparent that he’s not up to it (and I don’t think this is the case given what I’ve seen so far) then you reassess. But for now it isn’t a priority.

Buying a first choice right back from PSG to the tune of another 30 odd million negates the initial (very expensive) purchase of Dalot and neglects other positions that actually do need looking at: namely centre half, left back and right wing.

Alexander-Arnold was given a shot and took it with both hands. He wasn’t first choice at the start of last season and finished the season playing for England at a World Cup. It’s amazing what a young player can do if only given the chance. If Dalot encounters difficulties, then we’ve got Valencia. Who in spite of being thrown under the bus by the previous twat in charge, is still a dependable option at right back.

The sooner people stop viewing young footballers under the illusion they improve without playing the better. I’m not throwing that at you necessarily, but it’s an irritating outlook that many seem to hold.
Of course it has relevance, you brought it up as a position we’d wisely prioritize above a righ back. We’ll have six options for Centre half by next season, three senior and three prodigies, by your own logic that surely cannot be a position of higher urgency.

How should it not be a priority to strenghten a position without a single assuring option.

If anything doesn’t hold relevance to the discussion it’s Trent Alexander Arnold, who was brought through in a sensible manner, slowly and by merit. We’ve had plenty of talented players come through in the last few years but very few will make it, Januzaj, Wilson, TFM etc.

Adding a 30 million pound experienced player doesn’t negate the 20 million we spent on Dalot, that’s nonsense mate. It builds on it to what’s best for the club not ehat’s best for the youngster. If Meunier fails we have a very talented younster vying for chances, that’s a good situation to have.

We should value youth, but we shouldn’t be naive about it. Throwing young players into the deep end to early and without a safety net is what ruins careers before they begin. Young players need to show they’re good enough before eventually succeeding their predescessors.

I would still make a move for another LB.Much as I like Shaw he still has apparent weakness's with his final ball.
I would make a move for Sandro or someone alittle more experienced.

Maybe Madrid may consider parting ways with Marcelo?
One can dream anyway.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I reckon if we miss out on chilwell we may regret it.

Maguire shouldn’t be dismissed so freely either, he’s a solid CB and would address some of our aerial deficiencies

As regards RB, I’d like to see Bailly tried there as well, see if he’s got the ability to cross a ball. As cover for Dalot. If Dalot doesn’t work out then Meunière would be suitable

United Pro

I reckon if we miss out on chilwell we may regret it.

Maguire shouldn’t be dismissed so freely either, he’s a solid CB and would address some of our aerial deficiencies

As regards RB, I’d like to see Bailly tried there as well, see if he’s got the ability to cross a ball. As cover for Dalot. If Dalot doesn’t work out then Meunière would be suitable
If we're targeting a young British full back then Imo Tierney is the one we should go for.

Agreed on Maguire. I think he's a lot better than many on here give him credit for but not sure he's worth the £75m that Leicester would want for him.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Pointless thread, I can see Woody giving contract extensions to Valencia and Young.

Kag

Of course it has relevance, you brought it up as a position we’d wisely prioritize above a righ back. We’ll have six options for Centre half by next season, three senior and three prodigies, by your own logic that surely cannot be a position of higher urgency.

How should it not be a priority to strenghten a position without a single assuring option.

If anything doesn’t hold relevance to the discussion it’s Trent Alexander Arnold, who was brought through in a sensible manner, slowly and by merit. We’ve had plenty of talented players come through in the last few years but very few will make it, Januzaj, Wilson, TFM etc.

Adding a 30 million pound experienced player doesn’t negate the 20 million we spent on Dalot, that’s nonsense mate. It builds on it to what’s best for the club not ehat’s best for the youngster. If Meunier fails we have a very talented younster vying for chances, that’s a good situation to have.

We should value youth, but we shouldn’t be naive about it. Throwing young players into the deep end to early and without a safety net is what ruins careers before they begin. Young players need to show they’re good enough before eventually succeeding their predescessors.
We need an experienced centre half that can come in and be a starter. I think that’s more or less unanimous amongst the support (and probably within the club). Of course it’s a priority. Rojo will be out on his arse before long. Jones probably not too far behind him. Unless we go balls out with Tuanzebe (which I wouldn’t be averse to) then our next manager is buying a centre half.

If Dalot gets games over the next six months and performs then he will be first choice by merit. You’re actively going out of your way to discount this possibility. I’m suggesting we give it a chance. If it’s clear he’s up to it then the club is saving itself from a (rough total) £60 million spend on right backs in the space of twelve months. Because that’s what the numbers would look like if we blurted money on some pipe dream like Meunier.

If it’s clear Dalot doesn’t look at all ready then the club will reassess. But I imagine it would like its most recent £20 million investment to be utilised before jumping into our next signing.

Gopher Brown

At a minimum one who can play on either side to replace Young and Darmian. Valencia should be moved on and someone from the reserves can be third choice.

beedoubleyou

Pointless thread, I can see Woody giving contract extensions to Valencia and Young.
I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind could suggest that Young hadn't already earned another year. He's not especially brilliant at anything, but he's a good all-rounder who puts in incredible amounts of effort. Not the future, but an example to any of the many, many players our fans here accuse of not trying.

norm87cro

Why? Dalot and Shaw have been doing more than fine and we have more pressing matters since we don't have a single reliable CB

CM

Shaw is also a 30 million asset and you could just as easily use Young as cover on the left. I kind of agree with the wider point but feck me I hope we give Tierney a wide berth.

JohnnyLaw

We need an experienced centre half that can come in and be a starter. I think that’s more or less unanimous amongst the support (and probably within the club). Of course it’s a priority. Rojo will be out on his arse before long. Jones probably not too far behind him. Unless we go balls out with Tuanzebe (which I wouldn’t be averse to) then our next manager is buying a centre half.

If Dalot gets games over the next six months and performs then he will be first choice by merit. You’re actively going out of your way to discount this possibility. I’m suggesting we give it a chance. If it’s clear he’s up to it then the club is saving itself from a (rough total) £60 million spend on right backs in the space of twelve months. Because that’s what the numbers would look like if we blurted money on some pipe dream like Meunier.

If it’s clear Dalot doesn’t look at all ready then the club will reassess. But I imagine it would like its most recent £20 million investment to be utilised before jumping into our next signing.
The general feel of the caf is not a meaningful argument, it’s bunkum really. We have £60 millions worth of talent in Bailly and Lindelöf with experienced heads in Smalling, Rojo and Jones to complement them and Tuanzebe as a dark horse. Even if there might be a lack of top quality option in there there’s clearly no need to panic. Besides, the only centre half that fit into the leader role we’re looking for now would be Koulibaly who we’d need to move heaven and earth for.

I’m not discounting the possibility but even if he does impress in the next 6 months we’ll have to resign Valencia or Young in order to have a rotational option for him which cannot be a better option than letting them go and signing a capable player in their prime.

Why is the money spent on Dalot so important to you while the money spent on Bailly and Lindelöf have no meaning? Surely you see that you’re contradicting yourself here?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Youcef atal looks like an unbelievable player in the making and is arguably a bigger RB talent than Dalot. Laird also looks a top prospect in that position. Tierney makes too much sense so ill believe it when I see it!
Youcef Attal is 3 years older than Dalot.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Spanish wizard, Alberto Moreno, is available at a fair price.

Devil may care

It's strange how nearly everyone is fine with spending £30-50M on a Tierney or Chilwell to compete with Shaw at LB, but lets just have a bang average 34 year old converted winger as Dalot's only competition for RB. :confused:

As for CB, I agree we need one but those hoping for the Unicorn of a leader are going to be disappointed IMO, the constant suggestions of Alderweireld make me think most haven't watched him this season, and bar Koulibaly the other good CB options out there are younger. To me the key is to get the right fit with Lindelof and coach a good defensive unit as opposed to relying on one guy to carry the other 3 in the back 4, plus leadership doesn't nessicarily require age, for instance de Ligt is already seen as a leader for club and country but is only 19, while Smalling is 10 years older and has never been, nor will he ever be, a leader.

Kag

The general feel of the caf is not a meaningful argument, it’s bunkum really. We have £60 millions worth of talent in Bailly and Lindelöf with experienced heads in Smalling, Rojo and Jones to complement them and Tuanzebe as a dark horse. Even if there might be a lack of top quality option in there there’s clearly no need to panic. Besides, the only centre half that fit into the leader role we’re looking for now would be Koulibaly who we’d need to move heaven and earth for.

I’m not discounting the possibility but even if he does impress in the next 6 months we’ll have to resign Valencia or Young in order to have a rotational option for him which cannot be a better option than letting them go and signing a capable player in their prime.

Why is the money spent on Dalot so important to you while the money spent on Bailly and Lindelöf have no meaning? Surely you see that you’re contradicting yourself here?
I don’t think we need to panic either. I argued this much when the board were getting it in the neck for not spending £75 million on Harry Maguire or a crock like Jerome Boateng. Believe me, we’re on the same page on that front. However, if the opportunity arises then I think a commanding centre half will be bought.

Where did I say the money spent on Bailly and Lindelof has no meaning? I don’t think that at all. I do, however, know that they’ll never be a partnership at this club. Primarily because they can’t head the ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them were to leave soon, either. Therefore, centre half is higher on my list of priorities. I think the club have that viewpoint, too.

We’re not binning Young and Valencia in the next six months. You might advocate it, but it’s unlikely to happen any time soon.

Personally, I still think that Valencia is more than good enough to be cover and competition at right back. I suspect this is where we disagree and why you think buying a right back for lots of money is worthwhile. I don’t. Presently, I’d like Ole to give Dalot a proper run of games and use Valencia in reserve. Reassess in the summer if necessary.

JohnnyLaw

I don’t think we need to panic either. I argued this much when the board were getting it in the neck for not spending £75 million on Harry Maguire or a crock like Jerome Boateng. Believe me, we’re on the same page on that front. However, if the opportunity arises then I think a commanding centre half will be bought.

Where did I say the money spent on Bailly and Lindelof has no meaning? I don’t think that at all. I do, however, know that they’ll never be a partnership at this club. Primarily because they can’t head the ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them were to leave soon, either. Therefore, centre half is higher on my list of priorities. I think the club have that viewpoint, too.

We’re not binning Young and Valencia in the next six months. You might advocate it, but it’s unlikely to happen any time soon.

Personally, I still think that Valencia is more than good enough to be cover and competition at right back. I suspect this is where we disagree and why you think buying a right back for lots of money is worthwhile. I don’t. Presently, I’d like Ole to give Dalot a proper run of games and use Valencia in reserve. Reassess in the summer if necessary.
Well if an opportunity should arise I’d like us to get one aswell, but not for stupid money which seems the only option at the minute.

You used the 20 million spent on Dalot as an arguement for further investment in the position being a poor decision yet never mentioned the 60 million we’ve spent in the last summer windows for CB. That’s an issue for me i this debate.
There’s no need for them to form a partnership either, whoever performs the best can partner up with whoever performs the best out of Rojo, Jones and Smalling.

We won’t be binning them, they’ll both be out of contract, all we have to do is not resign them. Something the new manager most likely won’t be averse to unless he has some kind of prior relationship with them which is unlikely.

I like Valencia and have been ridiculed in the past for just how highly I’ve rated him but resigning a 34-year old is not something a club of our stature and finacial strenght should be doing. Definitely not in some misguided attempt to appease youth-values anyways.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Keep Young, sell Valencia. Keep Fosu-Mensah and let him compete with Dalot. Buy a competitor for Shaw at LB and use Young to rotate at both LB/RB as a 5th fullback player for depth.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's strange how nearly everyone is fine with spending £30-50M on a Tierney or Chilwell to compete with Shaw at LB, but lets just have a bang average 34 year old converted winger as Dalot's only competition for RB. :confused:

As for CB, I agree we need one but those hoping for the Unicorn of a leader are going to be disappointed IMO, the constant suggestions of Alderweireld make me think most haven't watched him this season, and bar Koulibaly the other good CB options out there are younger. To me the key is to get the right fit with Lindelof and coach a good defensive unit as opposed to relying on one guy to carry the other 3 in the back 4, plus leadership doesn't nessicarily require age, for instance de Ligt is already seen as a leader for club and country but is only 19, while Smalling is 10 years older and has never been, nor will he ever be, a leader.
I watch our youth teams on a regular basis and have done for many years. I've seen many young players over the years that aren't of the required standard. We currently have a young lad in Ethan Laird that I see as someone who will be knocking on the first team door before long. I categorise him as a hot prospect who will surprise you and others before long. Dalot, Young and Valencia are fine as our RB's until Laird will be ready. And I don't think it'll be long before we see him challenging for the RB slot. I'd be ok with getting a RB if we didn't have two outstanding options for the position.

Luke Shaw could be upgraded by quite a few LBs in a attacking sense. A Ferland Mendy or Kieran Tierney would be a huge upgrade in that regard.

Devil may care

I watch our youth teams on a regular basis and have done for many years. I've seen many young players over the years that aren't of the required standard. We currently have a young lad in Ethan Laird that I see as someone who will be knocking on the first team door before long. I categorise him as a hot prospect who will surprise you and others before long. Dalot, Young and Valencia are fine as our RB's until Laird will be ready. And I don't think it'll be long before we see him challenging for the RB slot. I'd be ok with getting a RB if we didn't have two outstanding options for the position.

Luke Shaw could be upgraded by quite a few LBs in a attacking sense. A Ferland Mendy or Kieran Tierney would be a huge upgrade in that regard.
See this just doesn't make sense to me, youth level is irrelevant, it means virtually nothing, Rashford was a mediocre youth level player, not even listed most of the time as one to watch, behind the likes of Wilson and never regarded nearly as highly as Welbeck was at the same level, yet look how things have turned out. This Laird kid might be good but he's 17, there's a long way to go IMO, at least likely 3 years to mature in all aspects of the game, Young and Valencia are finished now, so unless Dalot plays week in and week out at a level he's yet to show then we are back to these two 34 year old has-been wingers weakening our right flank. Alternatively a player like Meunier who will be 28 could come in now and rotate with Dalot, and he'd be 31 by the time Laird is 20, ideal time for the switch over to take place.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
See this just doesn't make sense to me, youth level is irrelevant, it means virtually nothing, Rashford was a mediocre youth level player, not even listed most of the time as one to watch, behind the likes of Wilson and never regarded nearly as highly as Welbeck was at the same level, yet look how things have turned out. This Laird kid might be good but he's 17, there's a long way to go IMO, at least likely 3 years to mature in all aspects of the game, Young and Valencia are finished now, so unless Dalot plays week in and week out at a level he's yet to show then we are back to these two 34 year old has-been wingers weakening our right flank. Alternatively a player like Meunier who will be 28 could come in now and rotate with Dalot, and he'd be 31 by the time Laird is 20, ideal time for the switch over to take place.
Rashford was never a mediocre youth player at all. Not sure how you come to that conclusion..

If we have a manager who gives young players a chance, then I expect Laird to make his debut next season, I rate him that high.. Shaw isn't good enough in a attacking sense IMO, and the LB position needs a more attack minded player to give us depth and and tactical flexibility.

JohnnyLaw

I’ve seen others call for us to wait for youngsters before, Chongs another one who some will make similar suggestions for RW.

I think it’s a bad idea though, idealistic and careless. Alot can happen in that time of transitioning. If Laird is as talented as is made out then let him beat what’s ahead of him and earn the spot, rather than build him up for a fall.

Let’s say he gets a big injury or becomes prone or just doesn’t manage the step like Wilson for example. We’re stuck with Dalot and a 34-35 year old Young or Valencia without any idea what the situation will be in the market.

If the challenge is too big then that’s a good thing for the club as it means we’re very strong in the position, loan them out and let them make a name for themselves or even better sell them with a buy-back clause if possible. It’s worked for Barcelona and Real and should work for us aswell as long as the club does well.

I’d look to sign Meunier and rotate him with Dalot for the next couple of seasons, by then Meunier will be 30 and Dalot will either have taken his place or will leave the opportunity for Laird who’ll have the time to prove himself elsewhere in the meantime unless he absolutely explodes and leaves us no other choice than to promote him.

Devil may care

Rashford was never a mediocre youth player at all. Not sure how you come to that conclusion..

If we have a manager who gives young players a chance, then I expect Laird to make his debut next season, I rate him that high.. Shaw isn't good enough in a attacking sense IMO, and the LB position needs a more attack minded player to give us depth and and tactical flexibility.
Rashford was never talked about as the big hot prospect in the academy, for starters his finishing there was poor, that was why several followers of the academy were surprised when he started bagging in the senior team, which was my point, Wilson and Welbeck were hugely hyped hot shots at academy level but that never really translated to the senior team, where as Rashford has become a mainstay for club and country.

We are already giving youth a chance with Dalot, you have to balance that out like Meunier would, having a 17 year old and 19 year old as your two options isn't good squad balance, nor is having your only option to the 19 year old be 34 year old past it wingers. I'm not disagreeing that Shaw needs to be pushed with competition, I'm saying we need to get the RB side running on more than old fumes and romanticism as well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rashford was never talked about as the big hot prospect in the academy, for starters his finishing there was poor, that was why several followers of the academy were surprised when he started bagging in the senior team, which was my point, Wilson and Welbeck were hugely hyped hot shots at academy level but that never really translated to the senior team, where as Rashford has become a mainstay for club and country.

We are already giving youth a chance with Dalot, you have to balance that out like Meunier would, having a 17 year old and 19 year old as your two options isn't good squad balance, nor is having your only option to the 19 year old be 34 year old past it wingers. I'm not disagreeing that Shaw needs to be pushed with competition, I'm saying we need to get the RB side running on more than old fumes and romanticism as well.
Rashford was highly rated in the academy among the coaches and regular observers of our youth. The reason people were surprised was due to him completely bypassing under 23 football thanks to Louis Van Gaal. If we had Mourinho in charge at the time, I'm pretty sure Rashford would've been sent out on loan.

Welbeck was a talent in the academy no doubt but I never thought he'd make it with United. I never thought Lingard would either to be honest. I still don't rate Lingard as a starter in our team.

Our disagreement is on young Ethan Laird. You want us to sign a more experienced player in Meunier. And I want us to keep the way clear for the young gun from our own set up because I believe he'll be ready to be back up next season when he will be 18.

I could be right or wrong, but we need to give laird the opportunity next season to show his undoubted ability. He's physically already looking very impressive at 17 and if I'm right, we'll save a big chunk of money which we could invest in other positions.

It will all depend on the new coach though. If it's Ole, Poch or Rose then I see my way of thinking playing out. If it's someone with Mourinho's mentality with youth, then I see Laird on loan before abandoning ship like Jadon Sancho did at City.

Emrethis

Are you suggesting that you don't win anything with kids?

Devil may care

Rashford was highly rated in the academy among the coaches and regular observers of our youth. The reason people were surprised was due to him completely bypassing under 23 football thanks to Louis Van Gaal. If we had Mourinho in charge at the time, I'm pretty sure Rashford would've been sent out on loan.

Welbeck was a talent in the academy no doubt but I never thought he'd make it with United. I never thought Lingard would either to be honest. I still don't rate Lingard as a starter in our team.

Our disagreement is on young Ethan Laird. You want us to sign a more experienced player in Meunier. And I want us to keep the way clear for the young gun from our own set up because I believe he'll be ready to be back up next season when he will be 18.

I could be right or wrong, but we need to give laird the opportunity next season to show his undoubted ability. He's physically already looking very impressive at 17 and if I'm right, we'll save a big chunk of money which we could invest in other positions.

It will all depend on the new coach though. If it's Ole, Poch or Rose then I see my way of thinking playing out. If it's someone with Mourinho's mentality with youth, then I see Laird on loan before abandoning ship like Jadon Sancho did at City.
I read and listened to a lot of the youth report stuff and Rashford was never a name that was high on the list of having this amazing potential to be a first teamer, now Welbeck and Wilson were, the main point being is how a player is rated at youth level doesn't really matter as that step up is unpredictable on many levels.

No matter who is manager next season Laird wont be the back up, it'll be Dalot with Young or Valencia starting if we continue down this path, right now Ole is just having a free swing because nothing is expected, the next manger next season will be expected to do more than just play good football and will want some proven quality in the key fullback positions as opposed to two kids, so if he can't buy one then we'll be exactly where we are now, with him using the mediocre but safe options of the 34 year olds.

I also don't see why we need to do give Laird anything, if he is so good then go on loan like Axel and gain some experience, that's the path for 90% of young players, Axel will be ready next season to come into the squad and get involved, I don't see why we need to rush Laird when our only other option is a kid himself. Meunier buys the club, Dalot and Laird 3 years at least to take a logical and measured approach.

Are you suggesting that you don't win anything with kids?
That quote isn't applicable to Manchester United in 2019 or the PL in 2019, back then the league was not so competitive and we were the standout big dogs in it, right now we are lagging behind mutliple teams and aren't making calls from a posiiton of strength like Fergie did back then, and this team is using a lot of young players to begin with, people forget how many top class senior players we still had when we intergrated Becks, Scholes and the Nevilles into the squad.

Walters_19_MuFc

Shaw and Dalot, you can imagine will here for a few years. Whether they will be starting or not, remains to be seen.

Dalot has a lot to learn defensively, and will only learn by playing and making mistakes.

Shaw is very good defensively. Maybe somewhat lacking in attacking areas, but a solid option for me.

Ideally, what we need is someone to rival Shaw. Young can play as a left back, and to be fair to him, does a good job, but he isn't getting any young, and he isn't left footed.

Maybe we need a more attacking option than Shaw on the left. Not too sure who, though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I read and listened to a lot of the youth report stuff and Rashford was never a name that was high on the list of having this amazing potential to be a first teamer, now Welbeck and Wilson were, the main point being is how a player is rated at youth level doesn't really matter as that step up is unpredictable on many levels.

No matter who is manager next season Laird wont be the back up, it'll be Dalot with Young or Valencia starting if we continue down this path, right now Ole is just having a free swing because nothing is expected, the next manger next season will be expected to do more than just play good football and will want some proven quality in the key fullback positions as opposed to two kids, so if he can't buy one then we'll be exactly where we are now, with him using the mediocre but safe options of the 34 year olds.

I also don't see why we need to do give Laird anything, if he is so good then go on loan like Axel and gain some experience, that's the path for 90% of young players, Axel will be ready next season to come into the squad and get involved, I don't see why we need to rush Laird when our only other option is a kid himself. Meunier buys the club, Dalot and Laird 3 years at least to take a logical and measured approach.

That quote isn't applicable to Manchester United in 2019 or the PL in 2019, back then the league was not so competitive and we were the standout big dogs in it, right now we are lagging behind mutliple teams and aren't making calls from a posiiton of strength like Fergie did back then, and this team is using a lot of young players to begin with, people forget how many top class senior players we still had when we intergrated Becks, Scholes and the Nevilles into the squad.
I'm not gonna go essay for essay with you right now.

Valencia is more than good enough to be back up and might even thrive under Ole. No need to waste money for the reasons I mentioned. We can agree to disagree on that...

Devil may care

I'm not gonna go essay for essay with you right now.

Valencia is more than good enough to be back up and might even thrive under Ole. No need to waste money for the reasons I mentioned. We can agree to disagree on that...
It wasn't meant to be an essay. :lol: Just putting thoughts down.

I don't get this idea that Ole is going to wave a magic wand and every player will suddenly be better, Valencia has been crap for two seasons now, I hated Jose as much as anyone but the deficiencies in his game had nothing to do with him. I can agree to disagree with Young who at least stays fit and can get down on the overlap under Jose and Ole, but I am 100% confident that you wont see Laird next season in the senior team and by this time next year the same issues with RB will be here if we are using hasbeen wingers as our RB, Dalot needs more time and less pressure IMO.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It wasn't meant to be an essay. :lol: Just putting thoughts down.

I don't get this idea that Ole is going to wave a magic wand and every player will suddenly be better, Valencia has been crap for two seasons now, I hated Jose as much as anyone but the deficiencies in his game had nothing to do with him. I can agree to disagree with Young who at least stays fit and can get down on the overlap under Jose and Ole, but I am 100% confident that you wont see Laird next season in the senior team and by this time next year the same issues with RB will be here if we are using hasbeen wingers as our RB, Dalot needs more time and less pressure IMO.
I don't think anyone thinks Ole is gonna wave a magic wand. What Ole is doing is creating a much better atmosphere around the group and creating a fun working environment, Something that has been missing under Mourinho. Now with the 'toxic one' gone, we may see a much improved Valencia at RB.

I'm pretty confident we'll see Laird in the first team squad next season depending on the mindset of our next coach. I wouldn't even be surprised if Ole gives him a debut this season.