Potential full back signings

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He can fight it out with Dalot, competition for places is the way forward. Him being 28 will give young Ethan Laird enough time to develop too.
Cool, is PSG willing to sell ?

Devil may care

If we're to go down that route, then i'd go with @Devil may care suggestion of Meunier from PSG.
He will demand a first team spot always though?
He has rotated in the role with Dani Alves before Alves got injured so I don't think he'd be a primadonna about rotating some games with Dalot, obviously for the first 18 months or so he'd be first choice in the big games.

SparkedIntoLife

Juventus are strongly linked with Renan Lodi, a 20 year old LB from Atletico Paranaense for 15-20m euros. I've heard some Brazilian fans say he's an absolutely top prospect. Maybe this is the sort of player we should be in for. However, he doesn't have any Brazil caps and might struggle for a work permit.

bond19821982

He's a United fan and his contract is running down. PSG will look to sell if they can't come to a agreement with the player.
We should probably try him then. Dalot is clearly not ready

bond19821982

He has rotated in the role with Dani Alves before Alves got injured so I don't think he'd be a primadonna about rotating some games with Dalot, obviously for the first 18 months or so he'd be first choice in the big games.
Cheers mate.

bond19821982

Juventus are strongly linked with Renan Lodi, a 20 year old LB from Atletico Paranaense for 15-20m euros. I've heard some Brazilian fans say he's an absolutely top prospect. Maybe this is the sort of player we should be in for. However, he doesn't have any Brazil caps and might struggle for a work permit.
Tbh, We need a ready to go player and not a kid who will be worldclass in 5 years.

Dante

Average bang
There's no such thing a modern fullback. The position hasn't changed. Cafu and Irwin were doing the same things that we see current fullbacks doing.

But something I've not seen mentioned much in this thread is how fullbacks get deployed.

If we're going to bring up the idea of 'modern' fullbacks, then there are two models to consider. Klopp's fullbacks are fullbacks-come-wingers, whereas Pep's fullbacks are often fullbacks-come-midfielders. I see someone like Shaw used more in the second role because he has Pogba and Martial usually in front of him. Whereas the rightbacks we use tend to be in the first role.

If we want to buy upgrades, they'll need to reflect that more than any supposed definition of what constitues a 'modern' fullback.

Scholsey2004

Don't think we really need new full backs. I think shaw and dalot can be first choice with demi Mitchell as left sided back up and laird or maybe tuanzebe right sided back up. Definitely not fosu-mensah, he's got nothing going forward.

Hammer_st

I would like to see a french connection on the full back positions. And both sides need improvment.
For the left side Hernandez from atletico is 22 years old and already one of the best in the world. He's release clause is high, but I think he is one of the players who improve our team without any risk.
For the right side Sidibe from Monaco was set in the france national team before his injury. He has still the quality for a top team and there are less world class opportunities on the RB position. I don't know why he is out of mind just because of his injury.
With the french players in our squad like Martial and Pogba it should be easy to integrate them and the team spirit is also important.
In our current squad I think Dalot is the only Fullback with a future in our club. Young and Valencia are too old and no learned Fullbacks. Shaw is not good enough for a starter and too expansive as substitute. And often his fitness level is a Problem.

Macedonian Red

We should buy on two sides but on the right is must. Wan Bisaka is good enough for me, did anyone know his prize?

Shaw is good but miles away from the best players on his position. His not even in top 3 left backs in thr PL. But he is still young and he can make a progres and we must first strenght other positions so I see Shaw and Young there for next season.

So on the right Wan Bisaka or someone else and Dalot and on the left Shaw and Young as his sub.

ravi2

Don't think we really need new full backs. I think shaw and dalot can be first choice with demi Mitchell as left sided back up and laird or maybe tuanzebe right sided back up. Definitely not fosu-mensah, he's got nothing going forward.
I think we need at least one world class full back to provide width. I like Shaw but he doesn't provide enough going forward and dalot isn't ready yet.

slir32

I think we need at least one world class full back to provide width. I like Shaw but he doesn't provide enough going forward and dalot isn't ready yet.
We need a quality backup LB for Shaw and a Starting RB with Dalot backup.

tomaldinho1

Seen a bit of news about us chasing Wan Bissaka gathering pace - hopefully true. Need something coming from the right flank offensively to balance us out.

Honestly, even if we landed Wan Bissaka for RB and someone like Felipe Anderson (who I think plays either RW or LW) we'd be so so much better

Inter Yer Nan

Seen a bit of news about us chasing Wan Bissaka gathering pace - hopefully true. Need something coming from the right flank offensively to balance us out.

Honestly, even if we landed Wan Bissaka for RB and someone like Felipe Anderson (who I think plays either RW or LW) we'd be so so much better
I'd welcome that. The more promising young English players the better too.

Scholsey2004

Anderson's predominantly left sided I think. Seem to remember his stats when he played right sided when he was at lazio being far less impressive than when he played left. Obviously that doesn't take into account things like team chemistry.

Scholsey2004

He looks good but a right back pairing of wan bissaka and Dalot seems counterproductive since developmentally they're at the same stage.

Red Star One

Kenny Lala, right back from Strasbourg, is having a good season. Only saw him in highlights, as I don’t follow Ligue 1 as much as I used to, seems to have a strong engine and is capable in defensive and offensive game. Three goals this season, but that’s inflated by penalty and a free kick - he’s been taking penalties for quite a few years now, not many defenders still do that!
Not too young though, will turn 28 this season. Wouldn’t cost us fortune - read somewhere Betis offered 8m eur for him, which was turned down, but 20-25m should be enough - and it gets you nothing these days anyway.

I’d love to see us give Wan-Bissaka a chance and try to get him. Whenever I saw him he looks so mature and committed, lovely player. Him and Dalot could solve RB for years.

Rauður Djöfull

Get Tierney or Chilwell as competition for Shaw

Sign Wan Bissaka as young competitor for Dalot

Get rid of Valencia and maybe Young or keep him for one more season as experience and in case of injury crisis

Kidders

Thomas Meunier and Lucas Hernädez please, Dalot and Shaw as cover/competion with the boy Laird developing within the squad.
Don't need Valencia, Young, Darmian, TFM or Bothwick-Jackson

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Dalot is so overrated by United fans.
Most fan's I have spoken to have realised his potential, but don't think he is ready yet to take up a permanent position, potential is certainly there, but I don't think they overate him as such. Wan Bissaka is, in my mind, ready now, and Dalot can also play on left. Laird is another tremendous prospect, if he stays injury free. I have always liked Mitchell, would like to see him have a chance. Shaw I'm not totally convinced, but I hope he proves me wrong.

haram

Wan Bissaka is rated for his defensive work though.

poleglass red

I haven't liked when I've seen of him so far, but he's young so we'd probably need to give him a chance.I'd definitely upgrade in that position though and let him fight it out with a more experienced player.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yeah, Wan Bissaka is bang average going forward.
I would rather have a defensively strong fullback, who will learn to improve offensively, rather than an offensively talented player, who has to learn defensive duties I.e. wingers.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I would rather have a defensively strong fullback, who will learn to improve offensively, rather than an offensively talented player, who has to learn defensive duties I.e. wingers.
I mean unless you're implying learning to be effective offensively is easier to learn than learning how to defend - surely there is little difference.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I mean unless you're implying learning to be effective offensively is easier to learn than learning how to defend - surely there is little difference.
It's not a necessity for the full backs to be good offensively, but they should be able to defend, something we lack in my opinion. I would think learning to be good offensively depends on how the manager/coach sets the team up to attack, would both fullbacks be asked to push forward to attack, or stay back if the CH's push forward with the ball. If we are up against a top side, the fullbacks may not be able to attack, but would still be sound defensively.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's not a necessity for the full backs to be good offensively, but they should be able to defend, something we lack in my opinion. I would think learning to be good offensively depends on how the manager/coach sets the team up to attack, would both fullbacks be asked to push forward to attack, or stay back if the CH's push forward with the ball. If we are up against a top side, the fullbacks may not be able to attack, but would still be sound defensively.
Well you don't push both full backs up, IMO, unless you have a Kante or Fernandinho that will protect the 2 CBs and from counter attacks. I don't see Shaw as very attacking, so if he's our 1st team full back, we need an attacking outlet on the right - specifically giving us width. I agree they would still need to be sound defensively for games like you say, but they have to be good attackers and crossers, as our game is very much modelled on early balls now.

Devil may care

The thing with RB for us is we need more offensively as the forward options we have on that side drift in and the RCM is more defensive, where on Shaw's side we have Martial and Pogba so the LB has to be a little more defensively inclined.

Didn't Wan Bissaka start out as winger though?

Zlatattack

I think most fans realise he's played like 12 professional games or whatever it is. It's just we've bought this young player, and we happen to have inadequete senior players in his position - so we'd like to see him given a run and see how it goes.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I haven't liked when I've seen of him so far, but he's young so we'd probably need to give him a chance.I'd definitely upgrade in that position though and let him fight it out with a more experienced player.
Such short memories. He was MOTM against Fulham.

tomaldinho1

Wan Bissaka is rated for his defensive work though.
He's also decent enough going forward. If you think how Palace set up I think he'd be awesome here given how quick/dynamic he is & is good enough on the ball. Most of their chances that he's involved in come from a rare counter attack whereas with us you'd hope he could be much higher up the pitch in possession. One vs one defensively he's excellent as well which will help our CBs out no end.