Potential full back signings

sherrinford

So basically nothing a player has done this season can make them a target? Now that is strange.
Nothing a player has done this season will change the fact that we already bought for his position.

United Pro

His league form is. He's made the most tackles out of every player in europe this season, also one of the overall biggest ball winners (tackles + interceptions) in europe this season. Wan-Bissaka actually slightly beats him here but he's 2nd for a RB overall, behind Gueye also for the premier league so 3rd in the league in all positions.

As well as some attacking contributions with 3 assists (joint most at his club) and 2 goals, including 1 against City this season.

International football is often about politics. Cancelo is good as well and he has also won the ball more this season than he usually would, but he's being compared to the player who wins the most tackles in europe so obviously he pales in comparison. Then theres the fact he plays for Juventus rather than Leicester, arguably a slightly weaker league and a much stronger team. But most importantly he's younger and had a high profile signing, the hype is behind him. The stats of actual contribution are not. He's arguably better going forward, but overall? No. He's not.
I agree with the points that Pereira has been very impressive this season but saying he's the best right back around is overrating him.

Pereira is good going forward but some of his offensive stats can be accounted for the fact that he played a few games a further forward as a winger this season. His superior defensive stats can be accounted for precisely the fact that he plays for a weaker team that have less possession of the ball and defend more compared to a team like Juventus who dominate other Seria A teams.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Pereira but my original comment was only highlighting that I didn't agree with your original comment in that he's the best RB around.

Ekeke

I agree with the points that Pereira has been very impressive this season but saying he's the best right back around is overrating him.

Pereira is good going forward but some of his offensive stats can be accounted for the fact that he played a few games a further forward as a winger this season. His superior defensive stats can be accounted for precisely the fact that he plays for a weaker team that have less possession of the ball and defend more compared to a team like Juventus who dominate other Seria A teams.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Pereira but my original comment was only highlighting that I didn't agree with your original comment in that he's the best RB around.
Thats why I said it was arguably. Of course not everyone will agree that he is.

sherrinford

Someone who started 5 games, the majority not even at the right back position, is obviously not bought as our immediate rightback. One for the future
Why not? He is 19 and we paid £20 million for him. Very clearly a long term signing, but also very clearly signed for the first team. And surely not signed with the intention of bringing in a mid-twenty’s player for him to be understudy to.

Ekeke

Why not? He is 19 and we paid £20 million for him. Very clearly a long term signing, but also very clearly signed for the first team. And surely not signed with the intention of bringing in a mid-twenty’s player for him to be understudy to.
Why not? He had several players in front of him when he signed. And he came in as someone who has played more games at leftback than rightback

sherrinford

Why not? He had several players in front of him when he signed. And he came in as someone who has played more games at leftback than rightback
Did he? He was injured for the season starting, I don’t think that’s quite as clear as you’re making out. And where did he predominantly play outside of the first team at Porto? Do you think we bought him as the long term replacement for Shaw?

Assuming you are not advocating giving up on Dalot half a season after signing him, how exactly do you envision him being ‘one for the future’ panning out exactly?

Ekeke

Did he? He was injured for the season starting, I don’t think that’s quite as clear as you’re making out. And where did he predominantly play outside of the first team at Porto? Do you think we bought him as the long term replacement for Shaw?

Assuming you are not advocating giving up on Dalot half a season after signing him, how exactly do you envision him being ‘one for the future’ panning out exactly?
I think we bought him as a player who can play on either side. Remember Mourinho wasn't into Shaw, but he had a good run so he played. So yes its possible that Mourinho figured that he'd play instead of Shaw in the short term. I think I remember Mourinho saying this season that Ashley Young can continue for years at right back... So yeah. Mourinho things.

Anyway the point is theres no reason that someone else can't be there to compete for a place on the right. Someone we know can do the job on a week to week basis. Competition is what will ensure that Dalot plays well, else he wont play. If the standard is low then he'll play regardless of how well he's playing which takes away incentive to improve.

sherrinford

Anyway the point is theres no reason that someone else can't be there to compete for a place on the right. Someone we know can do the job on a week to week basis. Competition is what will ensure that Dalot plays well, else he wont play. If the standard is low then he'll play regardless of how well he's playing which takes away incentive to improve.
If there’s someone else brought in to compete with Dalot, trusted to do the job week in week out - and by extension implying that Dalot cannot be - why would Dalot get games, outside of sporadic opportunities when resting others/ covering for injuries? For me, that affects a player’s confidence and physical conditioning negatively, often to the extent that a player simply never does himself justice when he does get a chance.

Players such as Valencia and Young are the right kind of age to compete with Dalot. The pathway to being established first choice is much clearer. Bring in a player to do the business who’s only mid-twenty’s and that pathway is gone - Dalot is consigned to a backup role.

Now I’m not actually saying that that won’t end up being the way to go, or proclaiming Dalot to be at the desired level right now. I just think, given the circumstances, that it is too early to do so. He only moved to the club in the summer and his pre-season was heavily disrupted by injury (and he seems to have had a few more issues since then - a slight cause for concern in itself). At 19, it is time for him to be playing senior football, he came in with a reputation as a top prospect and we did pay a reasonable sum for him. For me, we’ve made our choice. In reality, bringing in a bona fide starter - providing they were to perform adequately - kills off Dalot’s chances for the foreseeable future. Dalot becomes a relatively pointless signing.

We chose to sign him, aware of his lack of professional game time and knowing that he required surgery. So I would think that another right back purchase shouldn’t be considered at all until next January at the earliest, after a full pre-season. If the club feel then, or beyond that point, that Dalot is not showing enough then so be it. To do so in the current window or the summer though, you would have to question his signing - why not just pass on him and try someone else who was ready to come into the team?

Ekeke

If there’s someone else brought in to compete with Dalot, trusted to do the job week in week out - and by extension implying that Dalot cannot be - why would Dalot get games, outside of sporadic opportunities when resting others/ covering for injuries? For me, that affects a player’s confidence and physical conditioning negatively, often to the extent that a player simply never does himself justice when he does get a chance.

Players such as Valencia and Young are the right kind of age to compete with Dalot. The pathway to being established first choice is much clearer. Bring in a player to do the business who’s only mid-twenty’s and that pathway is gone - Dalot is consigned to a backup role.

Now I’m not actually saying that that won’t end up being the way to go, or proclaiming Dalot to be at the desired level right now. I just think, given the circumstances, that it is too early to do so. He only moved to the club in the summer and his pre-season was heavily disrupted by injury (and he seems to have had a few more issues since then - a slight cause for concern in itself). At 19, it is time for him to be playing senior football, he came in with a reputation as a top prospect and we did pay a reasonable sum for him. For me, we’ve made our choice. In reality, bringing in a bona fide starter - providing they were to perform adequately - kills off Dalot’s chances for the foreseeable future. Dalot becomes a relatively pointless signing.

We chose to sign him, aware of his lack of professional game time and knowing that he required surgery. So I would think that another right back purchase shouldn’t be considered at all until next January at the earliest, after a full pre-season. If the club feel then, or beyond that point, that Dalot is not showing enough then so be it. To do so in the current window or the summer though, you would have to question his signing - why not just pass on him and try someone else who was ready to come into the team?
All our rivals have 2 players for every position, how are we going to compete with them if we do not?

So no Dalot alone isnt enough over the course of a season and Young is weaker than our rivals 2nd choices

sherrinford

All our rivals have 2 players for every position, how are we going to compete with them if we do not?

So no Dalot alone isnt enough over the course of a season and Young is weaker than our rivals 2nd choices
They really don’t. Certainly not two high quality options. The idea that any team anywhere has that is pure fantasy. Young is very useful as backups go, able to play on either side. Dalot and him for right back is acceptable just now and can be revisited in a year’s time.

Ekeke

They really don’t. Certainly not two high quality options. The idea that any team anywhere has that is pure fantasy. Young is very useful as backups go, able to play on either side. Dalot and him for right back is acceptable just now and can be revisited in a year’s time.
Dalot isnt a high quality option. He's started 10 games in his professional career and in multiple positions.

We have 1 half decent option at right back if we put together Dalot, Young and Valencia.

Every single one of our rivals has a better starting option and a better back up. Both.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Dalot isnt a high quality option. He's started 10 games in his professional career and in multiple positions.

We have 1 half decent option at right back if we put together Dalot, Young and Valencia.

Every single one of our rivals has a better starting option and a better back up. Both.
This. I like Shaw but if you compare top 6 team's LBs, Shaw wouldn't get ahead of any of them .

He could compete against the mid table options like Digne ,Holebas,Chilwel and still not sure if he would do any better.

I am not even going to talk about our RB options.

sherrinford

Dalot being of the requisite quality is not determined by how many professional games he has played or the position he has played within them. The fact that he has played so little (that we have seen) actually makes it quite impossible to confidently state that he is not good enough. Yet that is what you are doing. It is perhaps not ideal, but the club have basically just signed him so until he can be more confidently judged we should not be looking to replace him.

Define good enough? Define high quality? Do our centre halves fit the bill? Right wing? Left back? Holding mid? No.8/ right-of-centre mid? How good an option a particular player is is always relative to the rest of his own team, not that of their rivals. Dalot is an unknown quantity but we need a right-sided attacker. Let’s prioritise properly.

Ekeke

Dalot being of the requisite quality is not determined by how many professional games he has played or the position he has played within them. The fact that he has played so little (that we have seen) actually makes it quite impossible to confidently state that he is not good enough. Yet that is what you are doing. It is perhaps not ideal, but the club have basically just signed him so until he can be more confidently judged we should not be looking to replace him.

Define good enough? Define high quality? Do our centre halves fit the bill? Right wing? Left back? Holding mid? No.8/ right-of-centre mid? How good an option a particular player is is always relative to the rest of his own team, not that of their rivals. Dalot is an unknown quantity but we need a right-sided attacker. Let’s prioritise properly.
Its easy to say he isnt good enough to play every week. He doesnt have the experience for it. He needs to get the experience, without us losing out on points because of it. Its not a surprise though, he wasnt first choice for Porto in a fairly weak league so why would he be first choice at United when he's barely played any football so far in his career?

We can see it already in his performances, things that will improve over the next few years as he develops. Next few years, not next few weeks. Luckily this weekend was not the equalizing goal.

sam147

Our real priority should be left back not right back. Luke Shaw is our only left footed fullback. He has never shown he can be relied on for a full season. He is improving defensively but offers nothing going forward. Ideally we get rid of Darmian and Valencia and maybe Young. Bring in Alex Telles and Hysaj. Both are the right age and offer competition. But since everyone's gotten their witch hunt of Jose they seem to have given woodward and the leeches a free pass. If we do not get a CB, RW and fullbacks this summer then the fans must back the next manager over Woodward.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This. I like Shaw but if you compare top 6 team's LBs, Shaw wouldn't get ahead of any of them .

He could compete against the mid table options like Digne ,Holebas,Chilwel and still not sure if he would do any better.

I am not even going to talk about our RB options.
Shaw is better than Alonzo, Rose, Davies and Kolasinac

Ephrem

I think Young will stay for another season as a backup. Darmian is gone and I believe Valencia, Rojo and Fellaini will be definitely moved out. Even Mata and one Bailey/Jones too. So guess we might have to keep Young for another season.

And I think Lee O'Connor is ready for some first team chance and I would like to see him at right back. Let him fight with Dalot for the right back spot.

Shaw, Young, Dalot and Lee O'Connor

haram

I think Young will stay for another season as a backup. Darmian is gone and I believe Valencia, Rojo and Fellaini will be definitely moved out. Even Mata and one Bailey/Jones too. So guess we might have to keep Young for another season.

And I think Lee O'Connor is ready for some first team chance and I would like to see him at right back. Let him fight with Dalot for the right back spot.

Sounds terrible.

redasian

Darmian is gone and we should release Valencia so we should sign 2 fullbacks to compete with Shaw/Dalot and keep Young as a rotation option since he can play on either flank.

That or bring back Fosu-Mensah, but there are understandably a ton of question marks over him.

Youth players as 3rd choice possibly.

Hammer_st

I'm still a huge fan of Sidibe from Monaco and if they are really interested in Fellaini there should be a good possibility to get him.
Bissaka make no sense, because we already have Dalot as young talent and two talents for one position don't make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sea-Cow

I thought Wan-Bissaka was again excellent yesterday against Liverpool. I think, despite his age, he could come over to us tomorrow and be an instant upgrade. He could be one for the now, not only for the future.

Dalot can then compete for the position. If he is as good as we all hope he is, then the squad wins. If he is not, then we keep the better player in WB.

I don't think he would cost all that much, and it would be a great use of our funds. Lets make it happen!

Ephrem

Sounds terrible.
O'Connor will surprise a lot here. The lad is real quality. And with Dalot around I can't see us making a full back signing unless we are planning to move someone out.

sam147

So you think we can challenge for a title with a 34 year old converted winger, a guy who has never stayed fit for a full season and offers nothing going forward. A 19 year old kid who has struggled with a few injuries since arriving. And Lee O'Connor. Are you on the wind up? Or are you being serious? We get it OGS is here but he can't turn water into wine. It would be naive to think thats enough and that type of thinking plays into the hands of the leeches running the club.

Member 115509

I'd say Danny Rose for LB but his injury record counts against him recently.

red4ever 79

We basically have Dalot and Shaw in the fullback position. Both players who are quite young and in an ideal world would be the back up full back. We also have two failed wingers turned fullbacks, but as their performances have proved this season they cannot be relied on to perform at an elite level. We need two fullbacks, both sides. Chillwell and the guy from Fulham, the RB