Potential full back signings

BiggusCrickus

Wan Bisska. It annoys me when people say he is only good at defending... Thats what a right back should be good at first and foremost. You get a good Right Sided player infront of him and you might not need him to attack .

Fer

Wan Bisska. It annoys me when people say he is only good at defending... Thats what a right back should be good at first and foremost. You get a good Right Sided player infront of him and you might not need him to attack .
Do you rate Wan Bissaka as the better player compared with other available RBs like Cancelo and Meunier?

Hawks2008

I disagree, City and Liverpool both have great wingers ahead of their full backs yet they still get forward and contribute goals/assists.

Kidders

Wan Bissaka would be a great signing, however does that mean we've given up on Dalot as RB ? I hope not because I think he can develope into the role, but maybe he needs another season or two, that's why I'd rather go for Meunier because he would be reliable and relatively cheap but not long term thus allowing Dalot to come through with hopefully Laird not far behind, as for LB, Shaw needs competition not cover, maybe Lyon's Mendy ? Or closer to home Chillwell ?

Fer

Wan Bissaka would be a great signing, however does that mean we've given up on Dalot as RB ? I hope not because I think he can develope into the role, but maybe he needs another season or two, that's why I'd rather go for Meunier because he would be reliable and relatively cheap but not long term thus allowing Dalot to come through with hopefully Laird not far behind, as for LB, Shaw needs competition not cover, maybe Lyon's Mendy ? Or closer to home Chillwell ?
Mendy would be great, we need attacking fullbacks to provide width if we decide to play diamond formation. Mendy, Chillwell, Telles, Tierney and Grimaldo are good options.

I read that Wan Bissaka wants to stay at Palace. Meunier is a good alternative, but I slightly prefer Cancelo. It seems that he is available.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Hope we focus on players in their prime for our defence including the fullback positions. We can get youngsters for everywhere else.

LB: Sandro / Telles / Ghoulam
RB: Meunier / Lala / Trippier / Sarr

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Looks like we might need two. I would also like to see Ethan Laird on the pre-season tour to see if he could potentially step up.

A LB like Tierney should also be looked at..

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I disagree, City and Liverpool both have great wingers ahead of their full backs yet they still get forward and contribute goals/assists.
I think this will depend on how Ole wants to play. Is he going to use 2 attacking full back or just one attacking full back with the other one be more defensive. Wan Bissaka is so much better than Shaw defensively and currently also better in fitness, and if we decide to go on someone more attacking left back may be Telles from Porto who has lot of assists.

Wan Bissaka & Telles will be good pair full backs. I reckon both can be available around £35m to £40m each.

sherrinford

I think this will depend on how Ole wants to play. Is he going to use 2 attacking full back or just one attacking full back with the other one be more defensive. Wan Bissaka is so much better than Shaw defensively and currently also better in fitness, and if we decide to go on someone more attacking left back may be Telles from Porto who has lot of assists.

Wan Bissaka & Telles will be good pair full backs. I reckon both can be available around £35m to £40m each.
Defensively Shaw has been excellent. Wan Bissaka is not ‘so much better’, and in what way is he currently better in fitness?

Shaw has quite rightly just won player of the year. To buy in his position this summer would be daft, as there are at least six other spots to upgrade before left back and we aren’t going to be signing anywhere close to an entire new team.

Having two very competent defenders at full back really wouldn’t be horrible, just as bringing in an athletic destroyer in the holding midfield position wouldn’t hurt. Sure, it’s not going to transform our attacking play, but it might at least stabilise the team and make sides work harder to score against us.

If we really wanted to go with a nice balance of one attacking, and one conservative, full back then we should look to bring in a right back who bombs forward. Or just properly play Dalot.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Defensively Shaw has been excellent. Wan Bissaka is not ‘so much better’, and in what way is he currently better in fitness?

Shaw has quite rightly just won player of the year. To buy in his position this summer would be daft, as there are at least six other spots to upgrade before left back and we aren’t going to be signing anywhere close to an entire new team.

Having two very competent defenders at full back really wouldn’t be horrible, just as bringing in an athletic destroyer in the holding midfield position wouldn’t hurt. Sure, it’s not going to transform our attacking play, but it might at least stabilise the team and make sides work harder to score against us.

If we really wanted to go with a nice balance of one attacking, and one conservative, full back then we should look to bring in a right back who bombs forward. Or just properly play Dalot.
Like I have mentioned before, it will depend on how Ole wants to play. If Ole wants to rely on attacking full back then he will need to bring full backs who can provide the assists. Telles got 5 goals & 11 assists this season, 4 goals & 14 assists last season, 1 goal & 10 assists previously in both CL & the league, that’s an ideal number for consistent good attacking full back. It's hard to find any realistic & available right back with that numbers. Winning player of the season in this current team is nothing special, Shaw needs a solid competition.

Wan Bissaka is much better than Shaw defensively.

EPL Website: Wan Bissaka the left side. Shaw The right side.

zenith

We really should go all out for Wan bissaka. I reckon we've seen enough over the past few years to tell us that young, hungry and talented players are much more likely to take the club forward than so called proven achievers.

Hoboman

Any fullback, attacking midfielder or forward would look average in this team. No pace, no desire to create space, no fast 1-2 passing, no nothing.

Put Robertson or TAA in that team and people will call them headless chicken and one trick pony, because they are half of players without space and being poor dribblers they can't create chances by their own. Robertson prior to joining Liverpool had grand total of 2 assists in his last season with Hull in EPL and 4 assits in Championship.

Team is severely undercoached and has no identity or playing patterns and that's much bigger problem than searching for new fullbacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was absolutely spot on about Van Dyke when the player was still at Celtic.

I hope we don't miss out on Tierney.

Fer

What do you think about Mendy (Lyon) and Grimaldo (Benfica)?

Elliott Smith

Heard rumours of both Wan Bissaka and Van Aanholt for 50m. Wan Bissaka is a great target if we want to revert to the old United way of signing players - is deservedly our #1 target at RB. Van Aanholt is a great option for cheap - is a similar calibre of player as Dalot, and is more attacking than Shaw. All it takes is an injury to Shaw and Ashley Young is back in the starting XI for the season.

Fer

If Pogba wants to go and Juve are able to sign him in exchange for players. I would take Cancelo and Dybala.

Hammer_st

We should sign Felipe Luis for the left side as Back up for Shaw. He is out of contract and would be free.
And Max Aarons from Norwich for the right side. I think he will be the future RB for England. Seems good at attack and defending. Together with Dalot and Young our FB positions fixed without spending a lot of money.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We should sign Felipe Luis for the left side as Back up for Shaw. He is out of contract and would be free.
And Max Aarons from Norwich for the right side. I think he will be the future RB for England. Seems good at attack and defending. Together with Dalot and Young our FB positions fixed without spending a lot of money.
Don't you think we should give Ethan Laird a chance before we bring Max Aarons in?

Hammer_st

Don't you think we should give Ethan Laird a chance before we bring Max Aarons in?
In my opinion Laird is far away to be a mature player. He should go on loan and maybe in 2 or 3 years he could be an option.

Max Aarons would be our First choice next years. Because of the bad alternatives, we could bring in a high potential Player and develop him. And I'm not convinced by Dalot as RB. He had enough time to show his potential and couldnt outperform Young.
In my opinion Laird is too Young at this moment and unfotunately we need a RB now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Natty Dredd

If Pogba wants to go and Juve are able to sign him in exchange for players. I would take Cancelo and Dybala.
I would take Mattia De Sciglio from Juve very solid and versatile. heard a few Prem teams after him not sure it would be us mind

Sea-Cow

Wasn't addressed to me, but please allow my barging in --

No! Of course not! That shouldn't be a consideration. Its competition and Laird can compete for the spot. If he's good enough he can earn it. If he feels like his path is blocked and he doesn't want to compete, then he can leave and find a club where its easier for him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wasn't addressed to me, but please allow my barging in --

No! Of course not! That shouldn't be a consideration. Its competition and Laird can compete for the spot. If he's good enough he can earn it. If he feels like his path is blocked and he doesn't want to compete, then he can leave and find a club where its easier for him.
But what if our coaching staff feel he has the same sort of potential as the 19 year old Aaron or even better?

I understand signing a RB who will come straight into the first team and potentially elevate us.

What I don't understand is signing a teenage RB due to his form in the Championship when we have two young highly rated fullbacks already at the club.

Sea-Cow

But what if our coaching staff feel he has the same sort of potential as the 19 year old Aaron or even better?

I understand signing a RB who will come straight into the first team and potentially elevate us.

What I don't understand is signing a teenage RB due to his form in the Championship when we have two young highly rated fullbacks already at the club.
Then I would say -- whats the problem in bringing him in and finding out up close and personal who is better? This might be a fantasy idea though where we are free to sign anyone on a whim to then weed out the best 22. I admit there might be more to consider.

I guess I should backtrack and apologize -- my initial reaction and response was really just about the bigger idea of not signing players for fear of blocking our youth. It wasn't really about the specific case of Aaron v. Laird.

Because when you put it as you did in your third line, then yes that makes sense. Aarons is just as unproven in the prem as Laird.

Nickosaur

Cancelo or AWB at RB suit me. Hopefully we stay away from Meunier.

Shaw is fine at LB but maybe some competition is a good idea if the price is right. This Junior Firpo kid is the right kind of profile. Alex Telles looks great but that might piss off Shaw.

SamVimes

Cancelo or AWB at RB suit me. Hopefully we stay away from Meunier.

Shaw is fine at LB but maybe some competition is a good idea if the price is right. This Junior Firpo kid is the right kind of profile. Alex Telles looks great but that might piss off Shaw.
Tierney at Celtic. This is a no brainer and I have no idea why no PL Club are in for him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Then I would say -- whats the problem in bringing him in and finding out up close and personal who is better? This might be a fantasy idea though where we are free to sign anyone on a whim to then weed out the best 22. I admit there might be more to consider.

I guess I should backtrack and apologize -- my initial reaction and response was really just about the bigger idea of not signing players for fear of blocking our youth. It wasn't really about the specific case of Aaron v. Laird.

Because when you put it as you did in your third line, then yes that makes sense. Aarons is just as unproven in the prem as Laird.
I'm with you in the sense that we should always look to improve the squad regardless of who is coming through if we can.
I like Aaron and he looks to have alot of potential. But I'd prefer a more experienced fullback right now and Aaron staying at Norwich under Farke would probably best for his development.

But if we signed Aaron I wouldn't be dissapointed, that's for sure. He looks a very promising young fullback.

Nickosaur

Tierney at Celtic. This is a no brainer and I have no idea why no PL Club are in for him.
Ah Tierney is a good shout, but i believe he is a massive Celtic fan and is happy in SPL. He could absolutely make the step up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Tierney doesn't want to leave Celtic until the 10 in a row is still up for grabs.

Would be a brilliant acquisition for whomever signs him though.

Celoti23-81

Looks like it will be Meunier.
Don't think that will happen after his comments about PSG v Utd yesterday. “It was the biggest joke in the history of football. I would have bet €1million that we would not lose.

shiranaiotoko

Mbabu is nice, but reminds me Valencia, good pace, lot of chances to cross, all wasted :D Still good dynamic, offensive full back. Failed already in PL, but maybe a second chance...

Fer

What do you think of Atal (RB) and Grimaldo (LB)?

bucky

What do you think of Atal (RB) and Grimaldo (LB)?
Both would be very good signings, but Atal's future could be further forward as a winger. Vieira has already used him like that.