Potential full back signings

Havak

Pokemon master
I really doubt Young will leave, but we're definitely going to have to invest quite heavily in the full back areas in the Summer. Valencia and Darmian will go, and I also think Jones and Rojo should. I can't see us losing more than four defenders in one window, it's too much change at once and it'll be a bit too hard to purchase the kind of quality we need in multiple positions during the Summer.

I initially expected us to go with Dalot, Valencia, Young, and Shaw next season, but we're going to have to get a new full back at the minimum. I think we can get through the next season with this, then replace Young in the following Summer.

tomaldinho1

Wan Bissaka RB & Shaw LB is good enough. Dalot then competes for both places and offer Young a 1 yr extension but with understanding he's very much a senior player for the dressing room and won't be starting much.

We surely have some good kids who can then start pushing for places over the next few years as well.

Aarron Swift

For next season I think only Valencia will have gone

2019/20 - RB Dalot/Young
LB Shaw/Young/Dalot - as an additional Full Back (important to point out I’m not huge on watching french league so I could be way off) but I always thought Sidibe from Monaco was a decent player both defensively & Going forward. Could be got at a good price if Monaco go down. - would prefer more funds & effort went into CB, CM & RW positions this summer

Follow that up in 2020/21 Summer Window & replace Ashley Young with a young promising FB either buy or promote

NoLogo

It's not sustainable for a long period of time though, think back to Heinze and Evra. Tevez and Berbatov. Nani and Valencia. On every occasion one player got more game time than the other. We made a big investment in Dalot and unless we're of the opinion that he wont make it then Wan Bissaka doesn't make sense (certainly at the price he'd cost)
Arguably the better player remained at the club though. You might always end up selling one again but especially with young players you never know how they develop. Get two in and you have a bigger chance at least one will reach it's full potential, if the other wants out after some time sell him, it's not like those players are dead capital and after all a risk is involved in any deal but we can't risk not having a good FB for even more years to come. That's why I say buy double for every position and let the better one prevail.

Thiagoal

I believe Ethan Laird has all the attributes to take our RB slot over the next two years so wouldn't sign anyone else for that position as Dalot can challenge! A decent LB to challenge Shaw we'll be set. I'd also keep Young for extra cover/ experience

Devil may care

I think Young will stay for one more season, so with that in mind;

RB - Meunier & Dalot
LB - Shaw & Young

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
After seeing what Ricardo Pereira can do, I'd love to see Alex Telles in the EPL.

Pure fantasy for season 19/20:
L1 - Telles
L2 - Tierney
R1 - Atal
R2 - Dalot

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I like the idea of keeping Young for one more season and I think it will happen, especially if Ole gets the job permanently.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Meunier's a decent player but not someone we should be aiming for at all, he's more Everton than Man. United. I think LB is a more pressing concern than RB; Dalot and Laird are both extremely highly rated, there's a very good chance one of them could make it here so I'd hope we avoid blocking their pathway into the team. Shaw's fine and does still have room to grow, we don't really have any competition for him at the moment.

buckooo1978

games like tonight when you are playing against a packed defence you are really relying on quality from your fullbacks

Youngs passing, crossing and shooting lacking quality

Minimalist

Find it hard to believe there isn't a youngster at the club that can 'work hard' and do a job like Ashley Young does. Until we find some genuine quality full-back I mean.

Member 115509

How has Tierney been this season?
Out injured just now with a hip problem, think he has been struggling off and on with it for a lot of the season. No date set for his return as yet I think.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Really need some FBs. Shaw is decent defensively but offers nothing in attacking and young is not young .

el3mel

We really, really need RB and LB. RB is more urgent but sooner or later we'll need to upgrade on Shaw who is massively overrated and people don't want to admit he's average at best.

I'll prefer to get RB first as it's more urgent now. We can get LB later or next window.

Bwuk

Tierney and Muenier. It’d cost 50m but it’d be worth it.

Silas

Out injured just now with a hip problem, think he has been struggling off and on with it for a lot of the season. No date set for his return as yet I think.
That's a shame. Hopefully, it doesn't affect him in the long-term. Thanks for the info.

ravi2

Wan Bissaka RB & Shaw LB is good enough. Dalot then competes for both places and offer Young a 1 yr extension but with understanding he's very much a senior player for the dressing room and won't be starting much.

We surely have some good kids who can then start pushing for places over the next few years as well.
I like the sound of this and with Dalot being backup RB/LB, he should get plenty of chances to play. We definitely need a new full back to compete next season and Wan Bissaka is a solid choice

Canagel

Just put double bid for Ricardo and Chilwell and be done with it.
Ricardo, Dalot, Chilwell and Shaw is sorted to take us into the new season.

Devil may care

The latest reports suggest Young will be getting at the least a one year extension, so there'll only be one fullback coming in at most.

Devil may care

Maybe a LB?
I don't want to be pessimistic but I fear it might be neither, but if it is one I think it will be RB, Young can cover both sides, as can Dalot, and the club has invested a lot of money and time into Shaw, so while a lot of fans don't think he's good enough in attack I reckon he's seen as a main starter for now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't want to be pessimistic but I fear it might be neither, but if it is one I think it will be RB, Young can cover both sides, as can Dalot, and the club has invested a lot of money and time into Shaw, so while a lot of fans don't think he's good enough in attack I reckon he's seen as a main starter for now.
But don't you think we need someone to challenge Shaw at LB? Dalot and Young will be the RB options. Ole has also name dropped Ethan Laird in recent weeks as a potential first team player and he also plays at RB, pity he sustained a bad injury.

I personally think we'll go for a LB if Ole is given the job, but could be wrong..

Devil may care

But don't you think we need someone to challenge Shaw at LB? Dalot and Young will be the RB options. Ole has also name dropped Ethan Laird in recent weeks as a potential first team player and he also plays at RB, pity he sustained a bad injury.

I personally think we'll go for a LB if Ole is given the job, but could be wrong..
I think that Shaw is seen as the starting LB and only requires cover which Young and Dalot provide, we don't have a proper starting RB, we have a 34 year old has-been winger and a kid who is unproven, I know you like Laird and I know Ole mentioned him but cold reality is that him along with Gomes, Chong and Greenwood are well off even being in the matchday squad and bar Gomes I see loans in their futures.

Some here have their issues with Shaw but there is nothing to suggest the club do given the massive contract and wages we just gave him, I think the fact he operates on the same side as Pogba and Martial means Ole or whomever is manager will be fine with him being more of a defensive contributor than an attacking one. Conversely I think we'll go into next season with Lingard still starting as our RWF, thus a top quality attacking RB is more important.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think that Shaw is seen as the starting LB and only requires cover which Young and Dalot provide, we don't have a proper starting RB, we have a 34 year old has-been winger and a kid who is unproven, I know you like Laird and I know Ole mentioned him but cold reality is that him along with Gomes, Chong and Greenwood are well off even being in the matchday squad and bar Gomes I see loans in their futures.

Some here have their issues with Shaw but there is nothing to suggest the club do given the massive contract and wages we just gave him, I think the fact he operates on the same side as Pogba and Martial means Ole or whomever is manager will be fine with him being more of a defensive contributor than an attacking one. Conversely I think we'll go into next season with Lingard still starting as our RWF, thus a top quality attacking RB is more important.
Good post

My only issue is competition at LB. I know Dalot and Shaw have played as LBs before, but it severely limits their attacking threat IMO.

Devil may care

Good post

My only issue is competition at LB. I know Dalot and Shaw have played as LBs before, but it severely limits their attacking threat IMO.
I agree, in an ideal world we'd move like a big club and jettison Valencia, Young and Darmian and buy 2 fullback's this summer, but we know the club loves to procrastinate and hang on to past it players, Young's imminent new deal signals that we'll be continuing on in this fashion.

RedDevil@84

We have Shaw - Dalot and Young can also play LB.

RB is just Dalot and Young, we are much weaker in this postion. We need a main starter.
I was just talking about LB position. We obviously need an RB.
Shaw needs some competition at LB. Substitute LBs don't really provide that competition levels.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Just put double bid for Ricardo and Chilwell and be done with it.
Ricardo, Dalot, Chilwell and Shaw is sorted to take us into the new season.
Ricardo is still learning the league, looks like a world beater one game and dodgy the next. I think he will end up being very good.

Chilwell is already very good and I think a few clubs will be in for him this Summer.

Last edited by a moderator: