Potential Matic Replacements

Bestietom

Normally I could see us going for Ndidi.

But for the fact that Mourinho loves tall players in midfield and he isnt one. Neves is even smaller.

They'd probably do well together if we're going to play 2 DMs like Mourinho has picked at times, but I get the feeling he'd rather play Matic and McTominay.

Internationally though Sangare is doing well for Toulouse, a 20 year old who is 6'2. I havent seen him play so cant really comment on that.

Another player to keep an eye on especially with all the quality players coming out of France over the past several years.
Don't we have a top scout in France to spot these players, that can fit into team straight away. He needs to get the finger out now.

Bestietom

Why do we have to have a midfielder who sits in front of the back 4.

I would sooner we have mobile midfielders, who can get up and down the pitch like we used to have in Keano and Scholes.

Now we seem to want DM, AM, and Playmakers. To me a proper midfielder should have all of these qualities, and be able to cover every blade of grass on the field. Ok one plays left side the other plays right side, and one in the centre, but all have the task to be able to get up and down the field.

From what I see each week we have a big HOLE in the middle of the pitch, with a static midfielder or 2 in front of the back 4. No wonder we can't score goals, and are leaking goals every game. The Midfield is the heartbeat of every great team and we havn't had this for a long time now. This is down to the manager and coaches imo. Try changing to different formats in 4-4-2 or 4 -3-1-2

bucky

Santiago Caseres, Rodrigo's successor for Villareal, could be be one to keep an eye on as a replacement for Matic. Good passing and he works hard defensively. IMO priority should still be NDombele and extending Herrera's contract though.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So Matic should get a free run in the team despite being awful? No, we got to give someone else a go. Would rather Matic leave come summer than Andreas. Least if we tie down Andreas to a new contract we could sell him for a few bob. Give him the game imo.
We are stuck with him just like we were stuck with bastian

Eric's Seagull

I would sooner we have mobile midfielders, who can get up and down the pitch like we used to have in Keano and Scholes.
I would really also like this, as I feel privileged to watch them play regularly together,. Although I think it would be hard to find 2 such type midfielders and harder to get them to work perfectly in tandem like Keane and Scholes did.

Steerpike

I would really also like this, as I feel privileged to watch them play regularly together,. Although I think it would be hard to find 2 such type midfielders and harder to get them to work perfectly in tandem like Keane and Scholes did.
Alas, I think you're harking back to a bygone age here. 'Complete' or 'box-to-box' midfielders seem to have gone out of fashion, a bit like playing two proper forwards. I agree it's a shame though - the openness of the games when we played 4-4-2 with two genuine wide players made for an exciting watch. Defenders had to earn their keep then as they didn't get a great deal of help from the players in front of them.

Ah, the memories...

Eric's Seagull

Alas, I think you're harking back to a bygone age here. 'Complete' or 'box-to-box' midfielders seem to have gone out of fashion, a bit like playing two proper forwards. I agree it's a shame though - the openness of the games when we played 4-4-2 with two genuine wide players made for an exciting watch. Defenders had to earn their keep then as they didn't get a great deal of help from the players in front of them.

Ah, the memories...
Sadly I think you're right. The longer we move away from it the less I can see it happening. I was just lucky enough to be around in that generation. I'll just cherish the memories

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What about the lad at Atletico Madrid, Rodri?? I'm hearing good things about him from people who watch him regularly. He's 22 years old and from what i'm told is ideal for us.

bucky

What about the lad at Atletico Madrid, Rodri?? I'm hearing good things about him from people who watch him regularly. He's 22 years old and from what i'm told is ideal for us.
Probably impossible next summer, since he's just signed for them last summer. Should have been the one this past summer.

Theonas

Scout

Ah, the memories...
Not only is it a bygone era, it was severely limited on the European stage even in that era. We could dominate domestic midfields with only those because the rest of the league was far far behind tactically at the time but when we played in Europe, we found it very difficult to take charge of the big games. Frankly, it is a testament to just how good Scholes and Keane were that we achieved as much we did in Europe despite the limitations that lack of protection put on them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Probably impossible next summer, since he's just signed for them last summer. Should have been the one this past summer.
That's a shame, guess we'll look at Ruben Neves who was linked to Juve by Calcio Mercato and pair him up with Pogba and Ndombele.:drool:

bucky

That's a shame, guess we'll look at Ruben Neves who was linked to Juve by Calcio Mercato and pair him up with Pogba and Ndombele.:drool:
Not sure if that's possible with all the other issues we have, but I would love that to happen.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not sure if that's possible with all the other issues we have, but I would love that to happen.
That's what i'd like to see happening, with us going for a younger option at CB like Nikola Milenkovic who could also cover as RB. Di Marzio has reported our interest in the young Serb too, so i'm hoping there's something in this. I want us to spend heavily in the midfield and attack rather than a huge sum on one CB.

bucky

That's what i'd like to see happening, with us going for a younger option at CB like Nikola Milenkovic who could also cover as RB. Di Marzio has reported our interest in the young Serb too, so i'm hoping there's something in this. I want us to spend heavily in the midfield and attack rather than a huge sum on one CB.
I'd rather see us spend heavily in those areas as well, but I doubt Milenkovic is going to cheap either to be honest. One way or the other we are probably looking at fee similar or higher than Bailly's and Lindelof's. Him being able to play at RB would be very helpful, but I feel we need a CB, who's more comfortable on the left, since most of our CBs are more comfortable on the right and Rojo should be the first to be shown the door. Hopefully that doesn't matter and the CB we bring is comfortable on either side of the central defence.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd rather see us spend heavily in those areas as well, but I doubt Milenkovic is going to cheap either to be honest. One way or the other we are probably looking at fee similar or higher than Bailly's and Lindelof's. Him being able to play at RB would be very helpful, but I feel we need a CB, who's more comfortable on the left, since most of our CBs are more comfortable on the right and Rojo should be the first to be shown the door. Hopefully that doesn't matter and the CB we bring is comfortable on either side of the central defence.
I would imagine Fiorentina will ask for somewhere between £40m - £50m for Milenkovic. Would still save us a lot in comparison to Koulibaly or Skriniar. Just hope we don't go into panic mode when going for a CB and leave ourselves short in midfield and attack.

bucky

I would imagine Fiorentina will ask for somewhere between £40m - £50m for Milenkovic. Would still save us a lot in comparison to Koulibaly or Skriniar. Just hope we don't go into panic mode when going for a CB and leave ourselves short in midfield and attack.
Agreed.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not only is it a bygone era, it was severely limited on the European stage even in that era. We could dominate domestic midfields with only those because the rest of the league was far far behind tactically at the time but when we played in Europe, we found it very difficult to take charge of the big games. Frankly, it is a testament to just how good Scholes and Keane were that we achieved as much we did in Europe despite the limitations that lack of protection put on them.
I think people also underestimate how much help Beckham was in allowing us to play that way as well. His workrate was a huge bonus defensively, and his passing and creativity was almost like having a third midfielder.

AmanNits04

I saw Liverpool vs Napoli yesterday, and the man who I was Impressed with the most was Napoli's Allan, he is small but man he is strong and isn't afrait of getting physical.
I noticed he played the deepest of all midfielder, his short range passing was pretty good, I am still not sure of his long passing though. But he seemed like a man who has grit and can improve us.
He might take some time to settle in maybe, but I think he will be immnese if we sign him.
What do the regular Serial A watchers say about him?
Any insight?

jesperjaap

I know Matic isnt getting any younger, but why are we talking about Matic replacements when performance wise he is probably our best midfielder? There are better reasons to replace virtually every other central midfielder we have over Matic

E-mal

I know Matic isnt getting any younger, but why are we talking about Matic replacements when performance wise he is probably our best midfielder? There are better reasons to replace virtually every other central midfielder we have over Matic
Do you watch us play

L1nk

Our best midfielder :lol::lol: joking surely

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
This is the big challenge for me. A lot of positions need upgrading but the importance of the role and decline in Matic make this a priority (unless we switch to three at the back)

jesperjaap

Our best midfielder :lol::lol: joking surely
Who would be then as he was our best last season and I dont see any that have performed at all this season either? The fact they have all been pretty much a joke I would think it pretty difficult to say him being the best is surely a joke, as who stands out above him? Pogba has been sloppy, Fellaini is Fellaini, Herrera has been average at best in his better performances, Fred looks like a rabbit in the headlights, Perreira did ok then had a bad game and has barely been seen since so what am I missing here?
I think people are expecting now Mourinho has gone the team will suddenly perform again.....when not one of them has in the first place consistantly

Its hard to say who his replacement is now.Under Jose we had a specific idea with what he was looking for. But now ? who knows what direction of the club is heading.
Exciting times.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

Just use Herrera and play him into form. Only player to oust David De Gea for player of the year over the last 5 years.

Spend more on a creative player and in defence.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The best replacement to me is Rodri at Atletico and I can't see that happening anytime soon.

klayton88

I bet he's only just realised Mourinho has got the sack the slow bastard.

Irwin99

Who would be then as he was our best last season and I dont see any that have performed at all this season either? The fact they have all been pretty much a joke I would think it pretty difficult to say him being the best is surely a joke, as who stands out above him? Pogba has been sloppy, Fellaini is Fellaini, Herrera has been average at best in his better performances, Fred looks like a rabbit in the headlights, Perreira did ok then had a bad game and has barely been seen since so what am I missing here?
I think people are expecting now Mourinho has gone the team will suddenly perform again.....when not one of them has in the first place consistantly
It's been a bad bunch but Pogba's good games have probably outweighed Matic's contribution this year and in all honesty, I think Herrera has performed better than Matic when called upon.

Robert

Do we think any chance of Kanté in the summer if Sarri keeps mucking around?

De Jong, as I’m sure many have said, would be my ideal replacement for Matic in this moment.

Reactions: Invictus

Suvvernmanc

The dream would be Kante or De Jong but neither would happen. Ndombele or Neves are getable and my choice would be neved. Would cost a bit though with Wolves.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think Ed Woodward will be fuming if the new DoF/manager rightly asks for money to replace him in the summer.
We have sommany holes to fill, that we absiabsolu should not be replacing an experienced £40m so soon, under normal circumstances. It's not even as if he's that old. He's just incredibly immobile with an ordinary passing range.
Awful signing.

reddaz71

De Jong or Kante or maybe even Wanyama but don't think a DM should be on the list of priorities, just want all out attacking football.

IRELANDUNITED

Why do we have to have a midfielder who sits in front of the back 4.

Now we seem to want DM, AM, and Playmakers. To me a proper midfielder should have all of these qualities, and be able to cover every blade of grass on the field. Ok one plays left side the other plays right side, and one in the centre, but all have the task to be able to get up and down the field.

From what I see each week we have a big HOLE in the middle of the pitch, with a static midfielder or 2 in front of the back 4. No wonder we can't score goals, and are leaking goals every game. The Midfield is the heartbeat of every great team and we havn't had this for a long time now. This is down to the manager and coaches imo. Try changing to different formats in 4-4-2 or 4 -3-1-2
Pogba?

JohnnyLaw

Think Ed Woodward will be fuming if the new DoF/manager rightly asks for money to replace him in the summer.
We have sommany holes to fill, that we absiabsolu should not be replacing an experienced £40m so soon, under normal circumstances. It's not even as if he's that old. He's just incredibly immobile with an ordinary passing range.
Awful signing.
The fumes will probably still be aimed at Mourinho, Woodward has shown clear hesitance for invest in senior players. The new manager asking for replacements for Mourinhos ageing signings will probably only make him feel more justified on that stance. It’ll most likely only be an issue in terms of balancing whatever budget we’ll have for the summer.

Anyway I still feel like Matic is still our strongest DM. I think he’d do alot better with more of a sweeper role in a team playing more on the front foot, not allowing the opposition to play around and through us. His passing is limited but I think he’s got positive qualities in that he’s reluctant to hoof it, he’s good at shielding the ball and playing the simple pass into an attacker.
I don’t think Herrera, Fred or Pereira have the nous or presence for that DM spot and are all more suited to forward, creative and pressing roles.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Problem with Matic is that he's a liability in defense, he's cost us numerous goals this season by simply not being awake to dangers round him that run past him. Whether this can be coached back in him is difficult to know, I hope so. If not then he's a redundant DM.

Thisistheone

I know it was only one game but wasn't impressed with Neves at all last night. Gave it away cheaply at times and didn't seem that mobile compared to Liverpool's midfield.