Potential Matic Replacements

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
just want all out attacking football.
All out attacking football needs support from defence and midfield with players that can get around the pitch to cover space and also play the ball quickly into feet or space. Two things he's poor at.
Imo, we are in trouble playing pressing, high intensity football with this guy in midfield.

Devil may care

Its hard to say who his replacement is now.Under Jose we had a specific idea with what he was looking for. But now ? who knows what direction of the club is heading.
Exciting times.
Good point, I mean for instance if the next manager is Poch, he plays Winks in that role, so we needn't be looking for a giant.

Fracture90

That lad Weigl from Dortmund, seems he's not developing as promised and he's fallen down the pecking order at Dortmund with Favre at the helm, I think he could be bought for cheap and I'll be willing to take a chance on him.

That lad Weigl from Dortmund, seems he's not developing as promised and he's fallen down the pecking order at Dortmund with Favre at the helm, I think he could be bought for cheap and I'll be willing to take a chance on him.
Me too.
Still untapped potential with Weigl.

Tiber

Well Ander Herrera was better at the role than Matic before Matic turned up and was given the role for being Jose's teachers pet. So.... Ander Herrera

Dante

Average bang
Lindelof as DM.

Bring back Tuanzebe and buy another top class CB to fill out the squad. Team complete.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lindelof as DM.

Bring back Tuanzebe and buy another top class CB to fill out the squad. Team complete.
Nope, wouldn't work. No more switching positions please. Buy a proper defensive midfielder who can control from deep (like Carrick)

podurban2

Not Herrera, we have already been here and he's just not good enough. We need a midfield maestro.

Skills

Snitch
Fred needs a run in the team. We can't just give up on a player we paid 50m for just a few months ago. Need to see if he's good enough by giving him a run.

So I'd go for Pogba, Herrera and Fred till the end of the season. And Matic covers

-Supreme-

A position that suits his strengths.
Even the worlds best ball playing CBs will struggle in CM, you simply don't get the time and space like you do in CB position.

Did you watch City yesterday with Stones playing in midfield? Of course I'm not implying he is the best out there but you get my point...

Devil may care

Fred needs a run in the team. We can't just give up on a player we paid 50m for just a few months ago. Need to see if he's good enough by giving him a run.

So I'd go for Pogba, Herrera and Fred till the end of the season. And Matic covers
That's unbalanced, Herrera and Fred should compete for the box to box role in the midfield 3 as their strengths are pressing and playing as terriers, Pogba and Pereira compete for the AM role and we need a proper playmaker added to that mix with Matic as squad cover.

Ekeke

I mentioned him earlier in the thread because statistically he's had such a good season. But here's a bit more about Ibrahim Sangare, 21 year old midfielder from Toulouse.

Watching clips of him he also seems very much like Matic. Just 1 inch smaller, very strong and powerful but better at winning the ball than Matic has been. Like Matic he likes a dribble, and has a long pass.

Edit - I first put that he was left footed but it seems like the video is completely mirrored for some reason. All the numbers on the back of players are backwards so hes using his right foot :lol:. Other videos he was right footed so that makes more sense now.

So if you believe that someone like Matic is needed its just Matic himself is past it so we need to find the next one, I doubt theres a player more similar than this guy

Last edited:

Backrow Singer

I thought Matic was excellent the other day. Playing as often as he has been in that position is difficult and he needs to be spelled more frequently, but if he plays close to where he was at the weekend, I’ll be really pleased.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I mentioned him earlier in the thread because statistically he's had such a good season. But here's a bit more about Ibrahim Sangare, 21 year old midfielder from Toulouse.

Watching clips of him he also seems very much like Matic. Just 1 inch smaller, very strong and powerful but better at winning the ball than Matic has been. Like Matic he likes a dribble, and has a long pass.

Edit - I first put that he was left footed but it seems like the video is completely mirrored for some reason. All the numbers on the back of players are backwards so hes using his right foot :lol:. Other videos he was right footed so that makes more sense now.

So if you believe that someone like Matic is needed its just Matic himself is past it so we need to find the next one, I doubt theres a player more similar than this guy
Yeah Sangare should definitely be an option. Another could be Diadie Samassekou at RB Salzburg. Right-footed & strong in the tackle. But at 177cm he's shorter than Sangare (191) & Matic (194).

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Anyone know about Pellegrini at Roma? Has a release clause of 26m and is very much attainable.

Eplel

Completely agree. I don't know why people are so quick to dismiss players as not good enough when they have not taken enough games to prove their worth or at least work to their potential.

Ferguson insisted in using squad players for long streaks (e.g. Fletcher during 2002-2004). Also, most imporantly, he didn't drop players after serious mistakes or a bad performance, mainly to show to them that he trusted them and build on their composure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig Ward

I think Kante would be ideal for us.

Gutted we didn't make a move when he left Leicester.

I think he would be hard to get, but spending big on Kante and going for a cheaper option would be my ideal scenario.

My signings for the summer would be:
Kante
Ramsey
Skriniar
Son
Soares

Possibly a striker if Rom goes.

I'd look to sell:
Darmian
Valencia
Jones
Rojo
Fellaini
Sanchez

Some other potential outgoings could be:
Pogba (if his agent tried to engineer another move)
Lukaku (if poor form continues/new manager wants new)
Aware we have a few players only on 1 year options from the summer, so we need to look to sell or renew this summer.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's obviously got the passing abilities that we'd love in that position, but doesn't he have issues with a lack of mobility and defensive positioning? I admit I haven't actually watched him play all that often, but that's what I've heard.

Traub

I think Kante would be ideal for us.

Gutted we didn't make a move when he left Leicester.

I think he would be hard to get, but spending big on Kante and going for a cheaper option would be my ideal scenario.

My signings for the summer would be:
Kante
Ramsey
Skriniar
Son
Soares

Possibly a striker if Rom goes.

I'd look to sell:
Darmian
Valencia
Jones
Rojo
Fellaini
Sanchez

Some other potential outgoings could be:
Pogba (if his agent tried to engineer another move)
Lukaku (if poor form continues/new manager wants new)
Aware we have a few players only on 1 year options from the summer, so we need to look to sell or renew this summer.
To be fair, Jose did try to sign him. He chose Chelsea.

Patrick08