Potential Matic Replacements

dutchred

I agree. It does depend how long Matic can last, but I'm all for giving him a go there. Is it not a bit soon for him though?
we could give him time in the cup games and if we are comfortably ahead in some league games. I look forward to a couple of years
DDG
Laird Tuanzebe Lindelof Shaw
Garner Pogba
Gomes
Greenwood Rashford Martial

Maccataq

Matic needs replacing, no question but in fairness he's looked a lot better the last 2 games. I think he has probably also suffered from the lack of movement ahead of him. He seems to be taking fewer touches all of a sudden which seems to be true for all the team given the emphasis to attack coming from the manager.

onemanarmy

Matic needs replacing, no question but in fairness he's looked a lot better the last 2 games. I think he has probably also suffered from the lack of movement ahead of him. He seems to be taking fewer touches all of a sudden which seems to be true for all the team given the emphasis to attack coming from the manager.
He's been playing a little bit higher on the pitch, and plays more vertically. Clearly playing more free as well. Keep him for another 2 years, with a youngster taking over if possible.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Declan Rice would feel like a Fergie type signing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
we could give him time in the cup games and if we are comfortably ahead in some league games. I look forward to a couple of years
DDG
Garner Pogba
Gomes
That would be the dream. Fingers crossed!

Devil may care

If we go into next season with Matic still starting regularly we'll encounter all the same issues when we face teams that have a good pressing game, his lack of mobility is protected a bit by Herrera in games against poor opposition like the last 2, but we saw that with Fred we were too open and Ander had to come on to provide that cover. Matic is a divider but I think the logical thing is to keep him as an experienced squad player but not as the main #6. Add in a better passing CM with more mobility to complete the 1st choice midfield with Pogba and Ander.

Okey

I've been highly impressed with Garner every time I've seen him play. Not quite the buzz Fabregas or Wilshere had at that age but seems to have the goods for the top. We have an FA Cup game against Reading coming up after a run of 4 Premier league games in a few days. The team for that game should give us a good idea of Ole's plans for our youth, and their potential if given the opportunity.

Janson

DDG
Garner Pogba
Gomes
There is probably 0% chance that this will be our line up in two years.

Janson

If we go into next season with Matic still starting regularly we'll encounter all the same issues when we face teams that have a good pressing game, his lack of mobility is protected a bit by Herrera in games against poor opposition like the last 2, but we saw that with Fred we were too open and Ander had to come on to provide that cover. Matic is a divider but I think the logical thing is to keep him as an experienced squad player but not as the main #6. Add in a better passing CM with more mobility to complete the 1st choice midfield with Pogba and Ander.
He doesn't have to be mobile in that position. How mobile was Busqets?

Devil may care

He doesn't have to be mobile in that position. How mobile was Busqets?
At his best he played in the most posession dominant team that has ever existed, almost as a 3rd CB a lot of the time when their fullbacks became wingers, and even then he's a lot more mobile than Matic as he's not as heavy.

Bestietom

Players are moving around more and getting into spaces to receive the ball. Matic looked bad because there was none of this with Mourinho's outdated football.

It's a simple game when played properly, and the touch/pass football will suit players that looked bad before.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Frenkie De Jong is the dream but only that id assume

What verratti's situation like these days? Playing wise and happiness?

logan99

What about Adrien Rabiot, Sergej Milinkovic Savic or Tanguy Ndombélé ?

Mcking

At his best he played in the most posession dominant team that has ever existed, almost as a 3rd CB a lot of the time when their fullbacks became wingers, and even then he's a lot more mobile than Matic as he's not as heavy.
Busquets releases the ball quicker too and is more adept at passing through the press. Matic is good at shielding, but once he is pressed and closed down, he usually finds it difficult to pick a pass and ends up holding the ball for too long. It puts the whole team at a disadvantage against a high pressing team, because it allows the opponents to quickly cut off passing lanes. Matic is usually quite dominant against teams that sit back, press with few men and attack sparing, but I think we need someone that moves and passes the ball quicker whilst being very solid defensively.

Dante

Average bang
declan rice. his reading of the game is top class. future captain material as well.
Just signed a new contract till 2024, so it's going to be expensive. Maybe West Ham offered the contract with a view to ensuring bigger bids in the Summer. Who knows?

In any case, Rice would he'd be perfect as a counterweight to Pogba and Hererra/Fred/Pereira/Gomes attacking drives. Not to mention the fullbacks getting forward. If we had more defensively aware midfielders, you could perhaps make a case for a different kind of DLP. But given the makeup of the squad, a bona fide holding player is the only sensible option.

He's also good enough in the air to cover for the aerial deficiencies we seem to have. It's the main reason that Matic and Fellaini still get so many minutes. It gives the manager a lot more tactical flexibility.

Excellent technically, too.

Too bad we don't still have Tevez, Di Maria and Chicharito. Then the we could fielded jerk chicken, rice and pea.

Water Melon

Do we have anyone in the academy teething bound to break through the ranks soon to play in #6 role?

Georgan

Declan Rice should be it, he's awesome. Otherwise I'd like Ndidi, he's superb. And if none of this can happen, I'd love Wilmar Barrios, just for the pride and his inmense talent.

Andersonson

Matic is still class. One of our best players. Wouldnt mind Neves or Rice in though. We got alot of dead wood in midfield

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
What’s Lee Cattermole up to these days?

Andrew~

De Jong or Kante would be dreamy, but I think both seem out of our reach at the moment.

Would take Ndidi for sure.
Maybe, I think Kante is gettable. He’s being played in a different role than he’s used to and not having a great amount of success there.

Would still be expensive though. Ndidi would be a cheaper option, but less guaranteed to be as good. No idea if we can get De Jong though.

POF

The guy who played in the Matic role against Huddersfield looked pretty good. I'd like to see a bit more of him.

AgentP

Look at these stats! I haven't really observed him much during games but this is incredible. What do you guys think about him?

Mcking

Look at these stats! I haven't really observed him much during games but this is incredible. What do you guys think about him?
He is up there with Gueye and Kante as the best destroyers in the league imo. He is quite decent on the ball too.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think we were linked with Ndidi when he was at Genk. Numbers looks good, i'd be up for that.