g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Potential Pogba replacements

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm glad he has stated his aims. We should sell him and move on. It won't be as bad as Ronaldo leaving, because he has been so inconsistent. He'll do well at Barcelona/Madrid. My only worry is that Ole won't have access to any funds from the sale.
I wonder if top players would want to join an Europa league side whose in free fall and is being managed by someone who was out of depth even at Cardiff.

Icemav

With Pogba gone all my money is going on Havertz, I’d throw 70 million at him.

Hopefully take Dybala/Cancelo plus 100 million, sign Havertz use the 30 on Longstaff.

Havertz/Dybala/Cancelo/Longstaff for Pogba.

Never going to happen though.
Well I think Ole needed Revolution not Evolution and this Pogba saga may force the club's hand.

OUT
Pogba +160
Lukaku +70

IN
Mcguire -75
Fernandes -60
Havertz -70
Longstaff -30
Haller -25

Net Spend: 25 million

and if the club want to spend more at the wingback position we should have the resources to do so.

devilish

Well I think Ole needed Revolution not Evolution and this Pogba saga may force the club's hand.

OUT
Pogba +160
Lukaku +70

IN
Mcguire -75
Fernandes -60
Havertz -70
Longstaff -30
Haller -25

and if the club want to spend more at the wingback position we should have the resources to do so.
I don't think Fernandes and Havertz can play together.

Icemav

If people were annoyed at Pogba's ball hog tendency, Isco is even worst in this regard. I prefer Ceballos. He's better in the defensive aspect and a better passer. He's been the Spanish national team best midfielder. I saw him came on against England and he almost turned the match around. He was the best player on the pitch.
Would he be a good replacement for Herrera in your opinion?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

OUT
Pogba +160
Lukaku +70

IN
Mcguire -75
Fernandes -60
Havertz -70
Longstaff -30
Haller -25

Havertz is 100m +. If he is coming, no need for Bruno and spend it on a midfielder.
Haller might not be sold this year after Jovic. If yes, it will be for huge money - 50m

Kaglish10

Would he be a good replacement for Herrera in your opinion?
He's a pressing machine just like Herrera however he's got creativity in his game. At his best, he's a controlling midfielder. He looked fantastic against Croatia and Norway. He's looked so different for the Spanish team so far.

Hammondo

OUT
Pogba +160
Lukaku +70

IN
Mcguire -75
Fernandes -60
Havertz -70
Longstaff -30
Haller -25

Lukakku has lost a lot of value.

Icemav

Havertz is 100m +. If he is coming, no need for Bruno and spend it on a midfielder.
Haller might not be sold this year after Jovic. If yes, it will be for huge money - 50m
If we are talking Euro, that is still a crazy amount for a 19 year old not called Mbappe. But let's see.

Again I don't know enough about Haller and his club to determine a fair price right now. People were talking 25million and now with us showing interest and the Jovic signing it has apparently doubled. Again I just don't know.

Point still stands that if we shift Lukaku and Pogba we can have the funds and salary space for a whole host of players....... Partey, Ndombele, Havertz, Fernandes, Longstaff etc etc. Its quite enticing.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Havertz sounds like the one. But I'd prefer a complete revamp of our midfield.

Havertz - Ndombele
Neves

devilish

Ah fair point. Then we can focus on some holding midfielders. Essentially though we can re-mold the team.
I think Matic and Fred will be here next season. To complement them I'd go for two high energy and physical midfielders whose got decent passing skills and defensive abilities. Ndombele and Doucouré would be perfect for the role. On top of that I'd add Bruno Fernandes whose absolutely lethal as no 10 but whose got enough workrate to drop deeper if needed.

Icemav

I think Matic and Fred will be here next season. To complement them I'd go for two high energy and physical midfielders whose got decent passing skills and defensive abilities. Ndombele and Doucouré would be perfect for the role. On top of that I'd add Bruno Fernandes whose absolutely lethal as no 10 but whose got enough workrate to drop deeper if needed.
I really hope Fred can prove everyone wrong, he has shown glimpses.

And don't forget Mctominaldo!

Btw would you go for Sancho this window?

devilish

I really hope Fred can prove everyone wrong, he has shown glimpses.

And don't forget Mctominaldo!

Btw would you go for Sancho this window?
Matic, Fred, Mctominay, Ndombele, Doucoure and Fernandes should do the trick. Ndombele and Doucoure would provide a physical and high energy midfield who will fight for every ball while still be technical enough to pass the ball effectively even under pressure. They would be challenged for a first team place by Fred and Mctominay. Matic would be slowly phased out however he'll still be an important player for us as a calming 'anchor man' in times of need. Meanwhile Bruno will be our no 10

Going with just 1 DM again is a risk however I think its worth taking. In time I learnt to appreciate why SAF never liked enforcers. Sure they protect defences far better then a more box to box midfielder. Having said when the team is attacking (which is 90% of the time at a top side) they do becoming redundant. They produce so little in terms of attacking. I am hoping that Ndombele and Doucoure would provide enough workrate and defensive cover to avoid having to rely on a DM.

Regarding Sancho well....I doubt he want to move at this point of his career. If he does then why not? He's young, he can cover both flanks and he's clearly talented.

Last edited:

Fer

If we are going to sign one attacking midfielder to replace Pogba then...
Havertz > Eriksen > Fernandes > Maddison > Milinkovic-Savic > Lo Celso

I may be wrong but Havertz is the best we can get. Would you consider other players like Coutinho, James Rodríguez, Isco?

Icemav

Matic, Fred, Mctominay, Ndombele, Doucoure and Fernandes should do the trick. Ndombele and Doucoure would provide a physical and high energy midfield who will fight for every ball while still be technical enough to pass the ball effectively even under pressure. They would be challenged for a first team place by Fred and Mctominay. Matic would be slowly phased out however he'll still be an important player for us as a calming 'anchor man' in times of need. Meanwhile Bruno will be our no 10

Going with just 1 DM again is a risk however I think its worth taking. In time I learnt to appreciate why SAF never liked enforcers. Sure they protect defences far better then a more box to box midfielder. Having said when the team is attacking (which is 90% of the time at a top side) they do becoming redundant. They produce so little in terms of attacking. I am hoping that Ndombele and Doucoure would provide enough workrate and defensive cover to avoid having to rely on a DM.

Regarding Sancho well....I doubt he want to move at this point of his career. If he does then why not? He's young, he can cover both flanks and he's clearly talented.

Well Sancho sorts out that right wing for us, maybe permanently

People have been concerned about the money that can be spent in one window but if Pogba (and Lukaku) leave then it really does open up all sorts of opportunities. Opportunities we have to take advantage of.

LuckyScout78

First about Pogba. If any club out there are willing to pay 150 £ mill for Pogba. I will sell him, but not under 150 £ mill.

And if i could get Kante + Doucoure/Witsel for Pogba i would definitive agree.

I think get Kante from Chelsea is big/factor for success. He is 28, but i think he still has 2-3 more years on top. Kante was using as rcm last season under Sarri. But with new manager he might get back to cm position. You never know. If Lampard will be appoint, he might use 442.
Again, i would spend Pogba money on Kante and Witsel or Doucoure. I think Witsel suit more with Kante than Doucoure. Doucoure is all over the place, explosive and lots of energy. If United need a really dominate cm player. Witsel is the man. Witsel is a dominant and a high confidence cm player. Beside the legs of Kante and his workrate, break up opponents attack. Witsel and Kante suit each others.
Without Pogba, United shall go back to 442 or 4411 formation. With two really good cm players, to win the midfield battle. Then the legs of Kante is really needed.
The problem is. Is Chelsea willing to let Kante goes and does United have somebody to convince Kante to join United. Make him believe that he will join a dominate winning team in the future.

And working as a scout on my own. I will recommend a really good cm player in the making. He is only 17 and his is.

Lucien Agoume
Birth date: 09.02.2002
Club: Sochaux
Position : CM
Right foot
Nation : France

Then i will set up a pontential line up. With all the players i would try to buy, if i was United manager. Future targets and signings

Bissaka - Lindelof - De Ligt/Diop/Benkovic - Shaw

Sancho/James - Kante/Agoume/McTominay - Witsel/Doucoure - Martial/Sanchez + Rashford - Felix/Richarlison

New players:

RB : Bissaka

CB : De Ligt, Diop, Benkovic from Leicester City and Croatia. Benkovic is really good to tackle as CB, loan out to Celtic last season and is on Kroatia nation squad.

RW : Sancho from Dortmund
DCM/CM : Kante and Agoume from Sochaux
Offensive and playmaker cm : Witsel from Dortmund/Doucoure
AMC playmaker/supporting striker : Felix/Richarlison

There you have all mine recommendations, in all the positions United needed. How to use them. How to get the best out of them. And which kind of players will suit together. I want really good football players that can play on a high tempo. Know when you have to pass the ball and when its most effience to take on players.

From a deeper position on the pitch you will have Witsel, further up you have playmaker Felix to receive and combine with footie players Sancho and Martial. Then they will play five a side and break and open up defenders with theirs top small area abilities.
Behind those quick footie ball players, you will balance the team with Kante. A more defensive cm.
Imagine the right side with Bissaka and Sancho?Two fast and skills full football players. Then you have Felix in the centre to play quick combination football too.

So sum. That would be mine targets, how to use them together. My football philosophy and how to build a team. Quick athletic footie ball players. Hunger and aggressive and high workrate. Playing on the front foot and dominate football games. We will let them chase the ball, not us most of the time. And all the players i have mentioned have it. A dominate team for the future.

Bissaka - 1997
Diop - 1997
Benkovic - 1997
Sancho - 2000
Loucien Agoume - 2000
Felix - 1999
Richarlison 1997

Then i will bring in routine and exprience to help those really good youngster in Witsel, Kante and Doucoure. And if Lucien Agoume turn out to be a really good cm player in the future. He will take over Witsel cm playmaker role in a few years.

And when Aguero quit, City, Liverpool and Salah get older. Those youngster will taking over. A team for about 2-3 years, but still capable of top 4 each season. Example

Bissaka - Lindelof - Diop/Benkovic - Shaw

Sancho - Kante - Witsel - Martial/James + Rashford - Felix/Ricarlison/Martial

A top 4 starting line up

Squad : Dalot, Smalling, Bailly, Jones, Agoume, Doucoure, McTominay, Lingard, Sanchez, Lukaku, Greenwood

A decent and good squad with debth. Minus will maybe a back up or a really LB youngster that will give Shaw competition.

In the end. If not Kante from Chelsea. I think Thomas Partey from A Madrid can be a good cm with defensive ability. But again. Kante workrate and legs are big big reasons why Leicester and France won premier league and World cup. His abilities are on a own level. So again, If i could get Kante, Witsel and Loucien Agoume instead of Pogba or for money from selling Pogba for 150 £ i would easily take it.

P.S. A more unrealistic target. Barcelona property’s:
Ilaix Moriba - Barcelona - 19.01.2003 - CM Right foot

Mark the name Moriba from Barcelona - 16 years old from Barca. He has huge huge pontential. Moriba for Pogba its rhymes. Send Pogba to Barca and bring Moriba to Old Trafford. Good luck and giod summer

LuckyScout78

Its one name out there. And the name is

Ilaix Moriba

Barcelona - 19.01.2003 - CM Right foot

A top top cm and football player in the making. The two Ba.

A dominate dominate player already, at the age of 16. Player with x factor all written over him.
I would easily exchange Pogba with Moriba. City and Liverpool will dominate premier the next 2-3 years. So even with Pogba i dont think United are good enough to win the league.
But maybe after, while the kids Moriba get older. 19 - 22. And with teammates on a really high level like Bissaka, Sancho, Agoume, Felix, Martial and Rashford, you never know. But, if you get the best and max of those players, with the adding of Moriba. Then you will have dominate winning team in the future.
Offer Pogba when he still have high values and if he want to leave.

Get new top youngster and schooled them more down to earth and grounded. But still with high confidence and skills. Those are mine opinions i want to share. Again. Enough recommendations from this time.

Champagne Football

Havertz is going nowhere this summer. Everyone thought all we had to do to get Rice, Ndombele and Koulibaly this summer was to wave a bit of cash at their clubs and they'd all arrive gift wrapped the next day.

Eriksen I think would be first choice to replace Pogba and semi realistic. Rabiot looks like he's off to Juve. We'll probably buy Bruno Fernandes if Eriksen goes elsewhere, with perhaps either Idrissa Gueye or Longstaff as the holding midfielder brought in also.

Mctominay - Longstaff - Eriksen

Last edited:

Bwuk

Bruno seems a good shout, from the little I’ve seen of him.

Eriksen if the fee wasn’t ridiculous and he was interested, and I’d see if we can get Isco if possible from Madrid if Pogba goes there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How much would Aouar cost from Lyon would you say? I know @bucky likes him as a potential Pogba replacement.

Kaglish10

Ceballos, Van de Beek and Longstaff. We're set. If it was up to me, I would have this:

Onana;
O'Connor? - Lindelof - Ferro - Shaw.
Van de Beek - Longstaff - Ceballos;
Felix;
Rashford - Martial. (41212).

Subs: Dalot, MCTominay, Daniel, Greenwood, Smalling, Romero, Ounas.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ceballos, Van de Beek and Longstaff. We're set. If it was up to me, I would have this:

Onana;
O'Connor? - Lindelof - Ferro - Shaw.
Van de Beek - Longstaff - Ceballos;
Felix;
Rashford - Martial. (41212).

Subs: Dalot, MCTominay, Daniel, Greenwood, Smalling, Romero, Ounas.
I admire your optimism mate. But I think we'd be midtable with that team.

Kaglish10

I admire your optimism mate. But I think we'd be midtable with that team.
I doubt. Van de Beek and Ceballos are actually better than any of our midfielders not named Pogba. Ceballos isn't unknown for those that followed la Liga. He was already tearing up la Liga before he got his big move to Madrid. Barcelona wanted him then after he dominated their midfield but he chose Madrid instead. I need to add that Ceballos has been the Spanish national team best midfielder since his call up for the senior team.

As for Van de Beek, he's been one of Ajax's best players en route to CL semi final and that's not even his best form because he's got more upward side as a central midfielder. He's got fantastic vision, passing range and good shot on him. He's better than Herrera or MCTominay. The fact that he can also play as a no 6 is another bonus.

As for Felix, I liked what I've seen from him as a false 9. He's a good finisher and has got fantastic vision. He was one of Benfica's best players last season. In fact, I learnt that he was one of the reason Benfica surged upward from their 4th position to eventually claim the league trophy after his introduction into the starting lineups. His performance as a right forward chasing long aerial ball punt to him against Switzerland won't change my view.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It'll be interesting to see what strategy Solkjaer implements if Pogba does leave. Because let's face it, we need to sign a play or even two to replace the lost quality.

Personally I'm hoping he goes the route of signing young players with immense potential to replace Pogba. It's a strategy that has served us well in our glory days. And I hope he sees that potential in Kai Havertz along with Houssam Aouar from Leverkusen and Lyon respectively.

I'm not sure how possible it is to get either player from their respective clubs. But we definitely need to make moves like this to give our fans a lift.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It will be very interesting to see how we try to replace Pogba, if we sell him. We will also lose the only player who can ping long passes from defensive third, so this is something we should replace too.

Rabiot, Bruno, Tielemans would be a very good start and then if we can sign someone like Ndombele that's a good bonus.

Shame we are not looking at players like Barella.

The Nani

It will be very interesting to see how we try to replace Pogba, if we sell him. We will also lose the only player who can ping long passes from defensive third, so this is something we should replace too.

Rabiot, Bruno, Tielemans would be a very good start and then if we can sign someone like Ndombele that's a good bonus.

Shame we are not looking at players like Barella.

Barella has all but signed for Inter. Not so easy to poach top Italian talent.

Van de Beek is my top want in midfield as I think we could do with his attitude and leadership in addition to his quality and versatility. I’d love one of Bruno and Tielemans as well as Rice honestly. I want technique and intimidation in midfield again.

I hope we stay well clear of Rabiot.

We’ll probably end up with Longstaff and one more player.

Sigh.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Barella has all but signed for Inter. Not so easy to poach top Italian talent.

Van de Beek is my top want in midfield as I think we could do with his attitude and leadership in addition to his quality and versatility. I’d love one of Bruno and Tielemans as well as Rice honestly. I want technique and intimidation in midfield again.

I hope we stay well clear of Rabiot.

We’ll probably end up with Longstaff and one more player.

Sigh.
Yeah, Barella looks close to Inter but that's my point. We should be signing players like that before they move to top clubs.

Kaglish10

It'll be interesting to see what strategy Solkjaer implements if Pogba does leave. Because let's face it, we need to sign a play or even two to replace the lost quality.

Personally I'm hoping he goes the route of signing young players with immense potential to replace Pogba. It's a strategy that has served us well in our glory days. And I hope he sees that potential in Kai Havertz along with Houssam Aouar from Leverkusen and Lyon respectively.

I'm not sure how possible it is to get either player from their respective clubs. But we definitely need to make moves like this to give our fans a lift.
N'dombele is better than Aouar to be honest. N'dombele is the one that often pull the plug in Lyon's midfield. I really don't see what is special in Aouar. The main reason I'm not fully on board with N'dombele is the fact that he doesn't have great passing range and also, I heard that he can be so casual with his defensive play and would only look up for it against big opposition teams. I think he even said something about it. I don't want another Rabiot/Pogba. Apart from that, he's a fantastic midfielder.

As for Kai Havertz, he's better deployed as a roaming no 10. He will likely go to Bayern.

The Nani

Yeah, Barella looks close to Inter but that's my point. We should be signing players like that before they move to top clubs.
Yeah. But those are few and far between. And we really need an injection of quality at the moment. Which is what really irks me about the Longstaff links. Not the profile of player we should be after at all.

Kaglish10

Yeah. But those are few and far between. And we really need an injection of quality at the moment. Which is what really irks me about the Longstaff links. Not the profile of player we should be after at all.
Longstaff looks good too, as long as he's not the only midfielder we bring in (We need at least 3 midfielders if Pogba leaves). The only problem is no one knows how soon Longstaff will recover from his injury and we need a midfielder that can get the team running as soon as possible.

The Nani

Longstaff looks good too, as long as he's not the only midfielder we bring in (We need at least 3 midfielders if Pogba leaves). The only problem is no one knows how soon Longstaff will recover from his injury and we need a midfielder that can get the team running as soon as possible.
He looks talented aye but he’s nowhere near as ready as Rice even if he weren’t coming off a major injury.

I normally love a signing for the future but I don’t see us actually making progress on any signings for the here and now which is seriously fecking concerning.

bucky

How much would Aouar cost from Lyon would you say? I know @bucky likes him as a potential Pogba replacement.

Those 2 would be excellent, but I am not sure what chance we've got there. Lyon would probably rather sell anyone but Aouar first, which means it would take something like 100m for them to consider it, I'd guess.

Fer

I really want Pogba to stay but if he wants to go, I would sell him to Juventus, not Madrid. I would swap him for Cancelo and Dybala. We could buy someone like Fernandes to replace Pogba.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
£100m plus Cancelo. Juve signing Pogba will open our door to sign Rabiot. We will have Bruno (70m) to replace Pogba & Rabiot to replace Herrera. With 30m plus our initial budget left to spend on others. I’ll consider that as very excited deal & replacement.