Potential Pogba replacements

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So you want us to buy Bruno (100mil € release clause) to bench him/or depth?
He will not cost 100m and will be significantly less.

You need options from the bench that offers flexibility . Bruno can play anywhere in that 3 and would be a good sub.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I'd hate to see Pogba go. My guess is he'll be the best attacking midfelder in the world by the season after next (2020/2021).

Anyways, if he leaves, I hope we use the money we get from his sale for 2 attacking midfielders:

1) Fabian Ruiz (AML)
2) Bruno Fernandes (AMR)

bond19821982

Move to a flat 4231.

Sign a AM - Bruno or Fekir
Sign 1 winger -
Sign 2 CM who is really good on the ball -

eire-red

If we get a huge feel for Pogba that we could potentially spend on 2/3 quality players, I don't see why we wouldn't sell him. He's unbelievably talented, but only when things are going his way, and basically offers very little when its not.

Holding onto Pogba and failing to strengthen heavily in the summer is not going to fix anything whatsoever. He needs people behind him who can cover his laziness, but also feed him the ball, and also quality in front who can make space for him and offer options to him on the ball, neither of which we have at the moment, and it doesn't look like we'll have the resources to do this either seeing as we also need possibly 2 full backs and 2 CB's as well.

It's a trade off between the worth of 1 player vs the improvement of this team, and Pogba is a luxury player who granted can be world class when he feels like it. Now it all looks good in theory if we actually have reportedly 200m to spend in the summer + potentially 100m + from Pogba. With the help of god we'll see the back of Rojo, Bailly, Darmian, Sanchez, possibly Lukaku and a few others that fall into the same bracket as complete deadwood.

The problem is #1: Does anyone here actually trust our decision makers given the last 5/6 years of signings to actually go out and spend that amount of money sensibly, and not just chase more wet dreams like Bale, Kroos, Varane or whatever other unattainable players are out there. Does Woodward actually understand the concept of building a team, and does Soljskaer actually have the respect and backing of the board to convince them that we don't need a bloody marquee signing every single transfer window. I mean seriously, why is Woodward so obsessed with signing the biggest names who literally don't fit our team whatsoever.

#2: What quality players will actually want to come here if we don't make CL football for next season? You could look at this as a positive too I suppose, we get guys who actually want to play for us, and not just mercenaries who want a big salary and CL football as a bonus. But if we lose Pogba, De Gea and Herrera, we've lost pretty much all of the competent players we have in this team, which is just depressing to say the least. Can we actually then go and get rid of the deadwood if we're also losing our valuable players as well? It just looks like a massive headache at the moment..I mean of course, if we lose just Pogba, we can replace 1 player and hopefully increase the overall productivity of the team, but I fear if De Gea and Herrera go, we might desperately try and hold onto him as he's probably the only player apart from them two who bring real value to the squad. If we're desperate, that's when stupid decisions are made.

Do any if us really want to see us offer him 300k + a week in desperation and panic to keep a hold of him. Will every signing be made with the intention of 'getting the best out of Pogba.' If Ole's first few months told us anything, it's possible the only person that can get the best out of Paul Pogba, is Paul Pogba. Is he really worth all the hassle? Do City have a team built around 1 unique player? And we're not talking about some once in a lifetime player like Messi or Ronaldo here. Do Liverpool? We've sold better players than Pogba before, and we've always come back. We need to stop making short term decisions based around 'whats best for our league position next season' and make choices that are based around whats best for the club.

starman

Time for FM mode

Shouldn't accept anything less then what Coutinho went for. Reckon we get around 160m. Hopefully Lukaku leaves as well, if we are lucky we get back 70m :nervous:

Son - 80m
Fernandes - 60m
AWB - 40m
Rice - 50m

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The problem with any big sales is that every other club is going to be aware of the money the club got and will raise the price on any interest from said club. United's scouting is really going to come in handy there, because not only will it be hard to get a good price on the main transfer targets of this off-season, but it'll also be hard to convince them to join this current United side without overpaying, especially without a Paul Pogba to entice them into coming here.

Fer

What happened with Milinkovic-Savic? I remember he was a top target last season.

Web of Bissaka

1. Kai Havertz, but likely that's not realistic.

2. So, either Andreas Pereira seriously impress next season convincing enough..

3. ..or we just have to change the whole system to 2 man midfield eg. 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3 with Fred-McTominay or McTominic at the base isn't too bad, need more upgrades and depths though. Get a CAM or Wingers to replace Pogba.

4. Alternatively get someone like Ruben Neves or Tielemans to maintain 4-3-3 system but with a slightly different midfield function.

Fer

Havertz, Fernandes or Eriksen. But I think Pogba is going to stay. Well, I hope so.

AgentP

Havertz, Fernandes or Eriksen. But I think Pogba is going to stay. Well, I hope so.
Yeah, looks like it. Madrid won't pay that much for him and neither will Barca. That leaves only PSG but with their FFP constraints, even they can't afford him.

GM K

Yeah, looks like it. Madrid won't pay that much for him and neither will Barca. That leaves only PSG but with their FFP constraints, even they can't afford him.
According to reports this morning, Eduardo Inda is saying Pogba's transfer to Madrid is 'practically done'. Inda is a well known Marca 'voice' so there might be some truth in there.

Lee565

I just hope that if he does leave we sort out our transfers before hand otherwise the club will get done over with raised transfer fees for targets, happened to Barca really when they sold Neymar.

Wettergren

I would like either Eriksen, Fernandes, Ziyech or Aouar - or Joao Felix if we shift to 4231.

bond19821982

According to reports this morning, Eduardo Inda is saying Pogba's transfer to Madrid is 'practically done'. Inda is a well known Marca 'voice' so there might be some truth in there.
Or they have a history of unsettling players. Its nothing less than 150m and I doubt RM would spend that kind of money esp given Ramos is also looking for a rise or transfer.

GM K

Or they have a history of unsettling players. Its nothing less than 150m and I doubt RM would spend that kind of money esp given Ramos is also looking for a rise or transfer.
It's Real Madrid. They have the money. At the very least, they always have a number of players they can offload to raise good money. Bale is not cheap for instance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's Real Madrid. They have the money. At the very least, they always have a number of players they can offload to raise good money. Bale is not cheap for instance.
Bale won't leave, and nobody is buying Bale for the money Madrid want. His wages are huge and nobody will get close to it.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Don't think there could be a like for like replacement for Pogba, but I genuinely feel we need a new approach to our midfield. In my eyes we require more dynamic midfielders who can tackle, win the ball, and use the ball well, with the skill to beat a player, and score the odd goal or two (Madison, Brooks, Rice?), with a more attacking minded player, who can open up defences, create and finish, but can also cover and harass defenders if required (Fernandes, Gomes, Felix?).

GM K

Bale won't leave, and nobody is buying Bale for the money Madrid want. His wages are huge and nobody will get close to it.
I think Bale will be sold. It's actually the only thing that makes sense right now. Clearly, Zidane doesn't want him.
And about wages, of course a few clubs (like United) can afford his wages. The buying price, like you said, is what might be tricky but I see a type of scenario where money plus player could pass. For example, Bale plus money could earn Madrid Pogba.

MetoTTT

I really like Havertz and Bruno. Hope we'll buy the needed players before sell Pogba (if he has to leave).

Craig Ward

What about Barella? Or players similar?

Not seen much of Havertz…

Whats Rabiots skillset?

Fer

How much it would cost Havertz? I have been impressed with him.

bond19821982

Ok, he is gone. Who can we realistically get ?

Eriksen? Fekir ? Dybala ? Ndombele? Maddison ?

MetoTTT

How much it would cost Havertz? I have been impressed with him.
I love this player. RMC France Bundesliga reporter said(10min ago) he's the best player in Germany and they want 100mil.

bond19821982

Get Cancelo and Dybala from Juve in return. Then sign Bruno and Rabiot or Ndombele. We are then far better off.
Agree, if he wants to leave he can feck off.

Go all out for Eriksen - Eriksen,Rabiot,Ndombele would be a good midfield.

Bruno,Dybala and Rashford can be the attacking trio.

Get it flanked by Shaw and Cancelo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope he stays, but if he does end up leaving and I wouldn't blame him if he did. I hope we make a move for Kai Havertz from Leverkusen.

bucky

I hope he stays, but if he does end up leaving and I wouldn't blame him if he did. I hope we make a move for Kai Havertz from Leverkusen.
Apparently Leverkusen rejected a huge offer from Munich already. Something around 90m supposedly. They seem to be confident that he wants to stay and have him play for them for at least another season. Obviously things can change and I'd imagine Leverkusen would rather sell to us than domestically, but I'm not sure whether we have a chance there. In general replacing Pogba won't be easy, since a number of players either are looking for CL football or their clubs aren't willing to sell (Aouar).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Apparently Leverkusen rejected a huge offer from Munich already. Something around 90m supposedly. They seem to be confident that he wants to stay and have him play for them for at least another season. Obviously things can change and I'd imagine Leverkusen would rather sell to us than domestically, but I'm not sure whether we have a chance there. In general replacing Pogba won't be easy, since a number of players either are looking for CL football or their clubs aren't willing to sell (Aouar).
Would be like a new signing if we kept Pogba IMO.

bucky

Would be like a new signing if we kept Pogba IMO.
I want us to keep him, too. Just not sure, whether we are actually able to or want to. At least another season would be good, we need CL football. I'd be less worried about losing him, if players like Keita, Fabian Ruiz and Rodrigo were still at their former clubs. We've missed out on a few good players, which would make losing or replacing Pogba all the more difficult.

Fer

I mentioned that Havertz would be my choice as Pogba replacement. But I can see Ole signing Fernandes instead.

Eriksen would be a decent replacement, but I can't see him signing for us.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I mentioned that Havertz would be my choice as Pogba replacement. But I can see Ole signing Fernandes instead.

Eriksen would be a decent replacement, but I can't see him signing for us.
I think Havertz has already everything set with Bayern. I wouldn't mind Eriksen with Bruno F as plan B

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
I would also say: Havertz. Technique, physique, pace, scoring-machine.

Last edited by a moderator: