'Powerful' Pogba and 'unintelligent' Lukaku | Debunking media stereotypes

VP

Going back to the OP - I think it's a definitely fair point.

Would be interesting to hear older posters' perspective on the narrative on Pele? He is regularly heralded as the GOAT but at that time what were the adjectives being used in the media?

Lentwood

You see, I ask you to pick out one back African player in the league who stands out for their footballing intelligence and you choose Mane. Crazy. He stands out for one obvious reason above all others, he's lightening quick.

This doesn't mean he can't be intelligent or skilful, but his stand out attribute is a physical one.
That doesn't disprove my point it just reinforces it! I suggested a player and you went straight back to talking about his physical attributes! Out of interest, if I said to you, what was Wayne Rooney's stand out attribute in his prime or Ronaldo's in his, what would you say?

Pass and Move

That doesn't disprove my point it just reinforces it! I suggested a player and you went straight back to talking about his physical attributes! Out of interest, if I said to you, what was Wayne Rooney's stand out attribute in his prime or Ronaldo's in his, what would you say?
Not at all. Mane's obvious stand out quality is his speed.

Rooney I'd have said his allround game, he was a combination of work rate, strength, passing and shooting.

Ronaldo I'd have said pace/trickery whilst at United.

I think it quite simple, there are very few black PL players who's stand out quality is their 'intelligent play' rather than a physical attribute. It stands to reason therefore that when discussing a stand out black player, it's their physical strengths which will get mentioned.

hobbers

It's only natural that Pogba and Yaya are compared against other top midfielders in the world. And most of the other top midfielders all happen to be shorter, slower, whiter, and better passers of the ball and dictators of tempo than they are.

Pogba can do things with a ball that Xavi couldn't dream of, but Xavi is obviously the more intelligent footballer.

TsuWave

Where did I ever discount their hard work? All I said was some body types are better suited for certain athletic pursuits (notably running) - that's it and the data overwhelmingly supports that theory. They still have to work ridiculously hard - any serious athlete does. It's like saying Michael Phelps has a body suited for swimming or Messi for dribbling - I don't think it does anything to discount either's success. You seem to be the one attributing hard work to race by saying non-blacks work less hard.
dude. dude. DUDE. this was your first reply to me:

All this is true but it'd also be naive to not acknowledge the difference in body types. How come the contestants in 100m final are always black (usually of West African origin)? No matter how hard white folks train, they won't be able to compete at that level (I believe only one white man has ever broken the 10s barrier).
Black people have nothing innate to them that makes them better sprinters or spit out "michael phelps body types" much like white people have nothing innate to them that makes them produce messi body types, if we were to take your example into consideration. Athleticism or predisposition for it nor a certain body type is innate to black people.

I'm not attributing hard work to race, and the fact that you think i am makes me realize i've wasted my time and keyboard strokes even replying to you in the first place. What I said was "the people that run sub 10 are exceptional individuals that pop up in every group, on track they are black because when hundreds of thousands of black kids dedicate themselves to track like they do, you are more likely to find these exceptional individuals, whereas white sprinters usually don't come from similar circumstances or even countries that support sprinting like the black athletes do, also sprinting is not as an accentuated part of their lives as it is for black athletes so the talent pool is not as big, and lastly, white sprinters don't put in as much work", that is logical reasoning. Not some dumb "oh them blacks got something in their genetic code that gives them an advantage" assumption that's been debunked over and over by science.

You seem to have a problem with the real possibility that due to economic background, social conditioning, expectations and circumstances, environment, prejudice, and other cultural factors, black athletes are more likely to put more work in than their white counterparts in the realms where they dominate. I keep asking you and you keep skirting it, if its innately a black body type thing, why aren't africa or brazil producing these sub 10 athletes?

there's nothing, and this is scientifically supported, NOTHING outside of socio-cultural factors stopping/preventing white sprinters from competing at the level black sprinters compete, certainly not black people hitting the genetic athleticism lotto.

Race is only partly a social construct. There are very obvious innate differences (like skin colour) - it's why we even have the concept of race in the first place! As an Indian living in Kenya, my race would be still Indian and it'd stay like that for thousands of years.
Race is a social construct, its labels attached to people based on superficial differences/people with similar phenotypes (skin color, hair type), and just because individuals have similar phenotype it doesn't mean they have similar genetic variant sequences:

"What the study of complete genomes from different parts of the world has shown is that even between Africa and Europe, for example, there is not a single absolute genetic difference, meaning no single variant where all Africans have one variant and all Europeans another one, even when recent migration is disregarded," Pääbo told Live Science. "It is all a question of differences in how frequent different variants are on different continents and in different regions."

In one example that demonstrated genetic differences were not fixed along racial lines, the full genomes of James Watson and Craig Venter, two famous American scientists of European ancestry, were compared to that of a Korean scientist, Seong-Jin Kim. It turned out that Watson (who, ironically, became ostracized in the scientific community after making racist remarks) and Venter shared fewer variations in their genetic sequences than they each shared with Kim."

SOURCE
race is neither a genetically nor biologically sound paradigm but instead a social construct based largely on Western society’s obsession with superficial physical features such as skin color (Harpalani, 2004). Even those who make arguments for a biological definition of race acknowledge that that definition would not correspond to simplistic notions of people being labeled as “Black” and “White” (Andreasen, 1998). Prominent anthropologists such as Jonathon Marks have also recently weighed in on this issue, debunking notions of genetically-based racial differences.

The wide range of physical differences among people across the global environmental landscape makes it exceedingly difficult to entertain the notion that there are four or five non-overlapping, distinct races. The more scientists measure human traits, the fewer discrete differences they find.

scientific studies which, time and time again, have failed to locate concrete biological differences specific only to certain populations. Noted social critic Pilar Ossario observes, “We can't find any genetic markers that are in everybody of a particular race and in nobody of some other race”

SOURCE
So yeah, I don't mean to crush your world, but an Indian living in Kenya might actually find a bunch of Kenyans that share more genome sequences with him than a substantial amount of his fellow Indians.

In your hypothetical challenge, yes living in that environment and culture my kids would smoke yours but my kids may not smoke his fellow Kalenjin - that'd take far longer time.
This is what you don't seem to get. If you were living in that environment and fully immersed in the culture and dietary habits, and had kids there, your kids wouldn't be at a disadvantage genetically (outside of being extraordinary individuals). They'd be at a level playing field, and stuff like training, time, commitment, attention and support, etc would be the differentiators in how far he'd go. He'd be better than some and worse than some depending on those factors, not on simply not being a kalenjin.

Calling a player powerful is now racist.. love it.

If Pogba and Lukaku had stunk it up the first two weeks, this article wouldn't have even been written. It is a pure opportunist piece.

For those of you trying to logically explain how it isn't racist, don't even bother, save your effort for something else, you will be screamed down as racist or ignorant anyway by the frenzied mob no matter how rationally you present what you say.

Can't this thread be moved to the politics or general or whatever forum? Some of us would like to just read about football in the 'football forum' not political agendas.
Exactly. You can find a problem with anything if you go looking for it.

Lukaku's game is built around his size and pace and it's completely valid to say he's not yet making the intelligent runs and touches a player like Sheringham did. He's also not just a huge useless lump like an Andy Carroll.

Likewise Pogba is 6'3". Anyone who thinks his physicality isn't a big part of his game has never seen him play.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Exactly. You can find a problem with anything if you go looking for it.

Lukaku's game is built around his size and pace and it's completely valid to say he's not yet making the intelligent runs and touches a player like Sheringham did. He's also not just a huge useless lump like an Andy Carroll.

Likewise Pogba is 6'3". Anyone who thinks his physicality isn't a big part of his game has never seen him play.
Also, as good as Pogba is technically, his size hinders this. Has anyone ever seen him dribble? He's quite awkward with the ball at his feet but when the time comes to do something with it he's immense. His large size, something common among black footballers might not stop him being great technically but it does hinder him to a certain extent. Smaller players with a low centre of gravity, who do tend to be white, will naturally be able to develop a higher level of technicality. Iniesta, Messi, Neymar, Scholes, Aguero, Dynala, Xavi, Modric...it's no coincidence they're all small. When you open this up over a wide area and consider that most black players will be more physically advanced, is it a surprise that more technically gifted players are white?

How many technically gifted tall players can you think of at that level? Zidane?

RoyH1

Also, as good as Pogba is technically, his size hinders this. Has anyone ever seen him dribble? He's quite awkward with the ball at his feet but when the time comes to do something with it he's immense. His large size, something common among black footballers might not stop him being great technically but it does hinder him to a certain extent. Smaller players with a low centre of gravity, who do tend to be white, will naturally be able to develop a higher level of technicality. Iniesta, Messi, Neymar, Scholes, Aguero, Dynala, Xavi, Modric...it's no coincidence they're all small. When you open this up over a wide area and consider that most black players will be more physically advanced, is it a surprise that more technically gifted players are white?

How many technically gifted tall players can you think of at that level? Zidane?
Bergkamp was pretty tall and his technique was incredible.

2 man midfield

Bergkamp was pretty tall and his technique was incredible.
Fair shout. Have to admit I never saw him at his peak but I've seen clips and stuff.

Edit: Just checked and he's only 6 foot. He always came across as bigger than that. I'm talking 6'2" plus.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Oof. It's a long issue brutha.

PM me.

As a rough cliff notes, I meant that America sees the world through its own lens.

Americans : Black, slaves, oppressed, lesser, subservient, reparations etc.

Africans : Proud, strong, Independent

Africans don't consider themselves as oppressed by Americans.

Africans that served as slaves (and decended from that time) in America do.

Europeans don't see racism and oppression as Americans do. Africans are so far removed from that it's unreal. But America controls the narrative. Play '12 Years a Slave' to a city of a million people in Africa and it something they can't comprehend.
Stick to the footie.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Oof. It's a long issue brutha.

PM me.

As a rough cliff notes, I meant that America sees the world through its own lens.

Americans : Black, slaves, oppressed, lesser, subservient, reparations etc.

Africans : Proud, strong, Independent

Africans don't consider themselves as oppressed by Americans.

Africans that served as slaves (and decended from that time) in America do.

Europeans don't see racism and oppression as Americans do. Africans are so far removed from that it's unreal. But America controls the narrative. Play '12 Years a Slave' to a city of a million people in Africa and it something they can't comprehend.
Is this a real post or a parody?

Akshay

Staff
Race is only partly a social construct. There are very obvious innate differences (like skin colour) - it's why we even have the concept of race in the first place!
It's actually not that simple at all. For example, within each 'race' you have a variety of skin tones, and sometimes the difference between those tones is greater than the difference between some members of that race and some members of another race. There's a gradient of physical differences that have been sorted into distinct categories mostly for historical reasons, hence why it's a social construct.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

tony54

Mina Rzouki. I've just looked her up on google and read her article.
To me, she is the one who in un-intelligent for writing such piffle.
I would suggest she reappraises her opinions and stop throwing
seemingly racist insults around.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Can't watch that, I'm at work. What was your point?
That Pogba in fact possesses much of the technique Zidane did: including close control, dribbling ability and flare - they are in fact incredibly similar in this regard. Zidane could dictate a game better and probably has better off the ball movement but in terms of technique Pogba's actually up there.

2 man midfield

That Pogba in fact possesses much of the technique Zidane did: including close control, dribbling ability and flare - they are in fact incredibly similar in this regard. Zidane could dictate a game better and probably has better off the ball movement but in terms of technique Pogba's actually up there.
Yeah I said above he's really good technically. However he does strike me as being awkward in possession, his close control/dribbling are pretty basic.

It's his style. He's quite gangly. Often he lets the ball move just far enough away for the opponent to think they can get it.

Its common sense. Black athletes tend to be faster and stronger. No-one is arguing that. If they have that advantage of course their game is going to be built from a young age around making the most of it. On the other hand, a 5'7" ginger asthmatic is going to have to work a lot harder on his technique and intelligence to make it as a footballer.

There is undoubtedly racism in football but it's not here.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Yeah I said above he's really good technically. However he does strike me as being awkward in possession, his close control/dribbling are pretty basic.
That's why I provided the video because while selective that eye test did wonders for my perception of what each of them can do - Pogba and Zidane seem eerily similar in the way they dribble and control a football. If Zidane is known for his technical wizardry then Pogba should be awarded a similar accolade in this respect. I'd say the biggest gap between them is in decision making, which is probably down to Pogba's relative youth. He constantly finds himself in binds that Zidane wouldn't get into.

Treble

Pogba as good as Zidane technicaly wise? People can be incredibly biased. Pogba's technique in tight spaces is very ordinary compared to Zidane's.

RoyH1

Fair shout. Have to admit I never saw him at his peak but I've seen clips and stuff.

Edit: Just checked and he's only 6 foot. He always came across as bigger than that. I'm talking 6'2" plus.
Really? He must have played with some short guys then! I remember him as being pretty big.

The only guy I can think of with that height and technique is Socrates, the great Brazilian midfielder of the 80's. Tall and lanky but with exquisite technique. And smart too! Studied medicine and practiced as a doctor when he stopped playing too.

I think Zlatan is another example. His technique is excellent and god knows he's colossal.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Pogba as good as Zidane technicaly wise? People can be incredibly biased. Pogba's techique in tight spaces is very ordinary compared to Zidane's.
Not quite, but nearly. Zidane's probably my favourite player of pretty much anyone but all I have of him are hazy memories and youtube highlights. If I look at Zidane taking folk on and then look at Pogba doing the same there's a lot of similarity in what they do and how they do it. Pogba's still pretty young, he screws up a fair bit and often chooses the wrong option. His technical ability is fantastic, he just needs a greater awareness of what situations to avoid.

Treble

Not quite, but nearly. Zidane's probably my favourite player of pretty much anyone but all I have of him are hazy memories and youtube highlights. If I look at Zidane taking folk on and then look at Pogba doing the same there's a lot of similarity in what they do and how they do it. Pogba's still pretty young, he screws up a fair bit and often chooses the wrong option. His technical ability is fantastic, he just needs a greater awareness of what situations to avoid.
Pogba was terrible in many big games last season. And fairly anonymous in Euro '16. That's impossible for a player with Zidane's technical ability.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Pogba was terrible in many big games last season. And fairly anonymous in Euro '16. That's impossible for a player with Zidane's technical ability.
Yeah he panics sometimes and is definitely inconsistent but you need to take into account that Zidane also played for two much better football teams than last years Utd, was a far better decision maker and had superior positioning and off the ball movement. That counts for a hell of a lot in big games. As I said I'm convinced Pogba's biggest failing last year was his decision making and that weakness is bound to be accentuated in games against elite opposition. I'd say his technical ability actually bails him out at times.

Treble

Yeah he panics sometimes and is definitely inconsistent but you need to take into account that Zidane also played for two much better football teams than last years Utd, was a far better decision maker and had superior positioning and off the ball movement. That counts for a hell of a lot in big games. As I said I'm convinced Pogba's biggest failing last year was his decision making and that weakness is bound to be accentuated in games against elite opposition. I'd say his technical ability actually bails him out at times.
Maybe you are right. Pogba has his moments of technical brilliance but they do not come as often as Zidane's, especially in big games. Still, Pogba is relatively young, maybe his mature version would be comparable to Zidane's. Personally, I'd be wary of this comparison. Let Pogba be Pogba and not burden him with too big expectations.

2 man midfield

Really? He must have played with some short guys then! I remember him as being pretty big.

The only guy I can think of with that height and technique is Socrates, the great Brazilian midfielder of the 80's. Tall and lanky but with exquisite technique. And smart too! Studied medicine and practiced as a doctor when he stopped playing too.

I think Zlatan is another example. His technique is excellent and god knows he's colossal.
Lewandowski was another I was surprised to learn is 6 foot. He always seemed like a beast.

2 man midfield

It's his style. He's quite gangly. Often he lets the ball move just far enough away for the opponent to think they can get it.

Its common sense. Black athletes tend to be faster and stronger. No-one is arguing that. If they have that advantage of course their game is going to be built from a young age around making the most of it. On the other hand, a 5'7" ginger asthmatic is going to have to work a lot harder on his technique and intelligence to make it as a footballer.

There is undoubtedly racism in football but it's not here.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts

Treble

Zidane was anonymous in loads of games. Did you watch him much?
Mostly in non-big games though. It's his performances in the big games that made him one of the best midfielders of all time and one of the best Madrid palyers of all time to boot.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Maybe you are right. Pogba has his moments of technical brilliance but they do not come as often as Zidane's, especially in big games. Still, Pogba is relatively young, maybe his mature version would be comparable to Zidane's. Personally, I'd be wary of this comparison. Let Pogba be Pogba and not burden him with too big expectations.
That could be true. Like you say though, Pogba's young - we have Zidane's entire career to reflect on. Zidane was definitely a big game player in a way that Pogba (and virtually anyone else) hasn't yet shown. He ain't half an exciting dude to watch though.

EyeInTheSky

People's concerns about issues aren't silenced by the usual get-outs employed by casual thinkers ("It's just faux-outrage from virtue signalling snowflake bleeding heart liberals from the planet Twitbook"; "You're just looking to be offended"; "I'm bored with people discussing things that don't affect me" etc). So, better luck next time.
I don't think there is any doubt about it tbh - there is an implicit racism in the way the media portray black footballers. I highly doubt it is deliberate but that doesn't excuse it.

If you disagree, I would ask you to name me one black African player who is talked of first and foremost as having a great footballing brain and brilliant technical ability, because I can't think of one! They are usually portrayed as powerful athletes who race around the pitch getting stuck into the opposition.

Also, Eric Bailly, for example, is a great footballer. Very adept at passing the ball out from the back and has a great first touch. Is this ever mentioned? Nope.
Your general impatience with this subject - clearly evident in your posts - makes you appear little better than the 'casual thinkers' I mentioned.

I note, also, that your discussion of Rooney omits the other cliché endlessly spouted about him: his 'fantastic football brain' (something that's debatable at least).

By the way, neither you nor Socrates get to decide when the argument is lost.
This, x100
Thought provoking posts.

I do notice allot of people trying to shutdown a discussion by finding examples outside of its core premis.

It's like the problem does not exist and if you bring it up you get people who argue against it with superficial observations but when there is a clear cut example of the issue they are nowhere to be found.

They don't add value to the discourse just obfuscation and make it a more combative back and forth.

"Person A can't be racist because I have seen person B call a black person intelligent"

Not sure anyone here is arguing that everyone who has ever used certain words on every occasion to describe what they perceive a certain players attributes are as being intentional or accidentally racist.

Also Confucius once said that "one who quotes Socrates on an online forum has lost the fecking argument."

eddiegordo

Your general impatience with this subject - clearly evident in your posts - makes you appear little better than the 'casual thinkers' I mentioned.

I note, also, that your discussion of Rooney omits the other cliché endlessly spouted about him: his 'fantastic football brain' (something that's debatable at least).

By the way, neither you nor Socrates get to decide when the argument is lost.
Again, someone talking about racism making massive assumptions and generalizations. Shock.

No, we don't get to decide when a debate is over, very few people do in reality. But people who generally have an upper hand in an intellectual battle, won't resort to 'because I am smarter than you' OR 'because you don't know enough', because that's generally an argument only stupid people make, intelligent people prove it through debate, stupid people just throw insults. Have a good one.

Black people have nothing innate to them that makes them better sprinters or spit out "michael phelps body types" much like white people have nothing innate to them that makes them produce messi body types, if we were to take your example into consideration. Athleticism or predisposition for it nor a certain body type is innate to black people.

I'm not attributing hard work to race, and the fact that you think i am makes me realize i've wasted my time and keyboard strokes even replying to you in the first place. What I said was "the people that run sub 10 are exceptional individuals that pop up in every group, on track they are black because when hundreds of thousands of black kids dedicate themselves to track like they do, you are more likely to find these exceptional individuals, whereas white sprinters usually don't come from similar circumstances or even countries that support sprinting like the black athletes do, also sprinting is not as an accentuated part of their lives as it is for black athletes so the talent pool is not as big, and lastly, white sprinters don't put in as much work", that is logical reasoning. Not some dumb "oh them blacks got something in their genetic code that gives them an advantage" assumption that's been debunked over and over by science.

You seem to have a problem with the real possibility that due to economic background, social conditioning, expectations and circumstances, environment, prejudice, and other cultural factors, black athletes are more likely to put more work in than their white counterparts in the realms where they dominate. I keep asking you and you keep skirting it, if its innately a black body type thing, why aren't africa or brazil producing these sub 10 athletes?

there's nothing, and this is scientifically supported, NOTHING outside of socio-cultural factors stopping/preventing white sprinters from competing at the level black sprinters compete, certainly not black people hitting the genetic athleticism lotto.

Race is a social construct, its labels attached to people based on superficial differences/people with similar phenotypes (skin color, hair type), and just because individuals have similar phenotype it doesn't mean they have similar genetic variant sequences:

So yeah, I don't mean to crush your world, but an Indian living in Kenya might actually find a bunch of Kenyans that share more genome sequences with him than a substantial amount of his fellow Indians.

This is what you don't seem to get. If you were living in that environment and fully immersed in the culture and dietary habits, and had kids there, your kids wouldn't be at a disadvantage genetically (outside of being extraordinary individuals). They'd be at a level playing field, and stuff like training, time, commitment, attention and support, etc would be the differentiators in how far he'd go. He'd be better than some and worse than some depending on those factors, not on simply not being a kalenjin.
I haven't read what you posted, but have read enough on this subject matter to confidently say you have probably misinterpreted

I think you are misinterpreting a shared genetic marker being a necessity for a distinct population. Phenotype is important, and populations share phenotype, which is determined by genetics. Muscular phenotype effects sporting performance & can be shared or more common among populations. A phenotype of many west africans is having a large gluteus maximus, quads & hamstring . Having more muscle at the top of your leg with less at the bottom (calf), allows for the muscle & leg to be retracted & extended faster. This allows, obviously, for faster running.

What you are suggested is just clutching at so many straws its obscene, and is the problem with a lot of media in the present day where they will literally bend over backwards not to say the truth.

Olympic sprinting isn't as simple as getting someone fast and letting them run, training & sciences behind it are very advanced, which is why we primarily see west Africans from rich countries at the Olympics, as their resident countries have enough money to support & nurture them. America's population is around 15% african american, yet the sprint events are consistently competed in by african americans. Great Britain, is around 3% afro-caribean, our 100m record is held by a black guy, almost all of our track and field athletes are black.

For example,

The fact you are suggesting this is just down to chance, that the people who worked harder all happen to be black, in america, in the UK, and every western country with a black population, all these people just happen to be the harder workers and it's just coincidence that they are black, given the demographics of these countries,is so unrealistic and unlikely, the odds are just overwhelmingly stacked against you. I really don't think you can understand how wrong you are on this, it's like taking a crap on a maths in general. The idea that black athletes do well do to a 'way out' of poorer neighborhoods does have merit, but it doesn't explain why black people from the same areas are not smashing exam records across their host countries, unless they are genetically predisposed to be good at sports.

Sterling Archer

Thought provoking posts.

I do notice allot of people trying to shutdown a discussion by finding examples outside of its core premis.

It's like the problem does not exist and if you bring it up you get people who argue against it with superficial observations but when there is a clear cut example of the issue they are nowhere to be found.

They don't add value to the discourse just obfuscation and make it a more combative back and forth.

"Person A can't be racist because I have seen person B call a black person intelligent"

Not sure anyone here is arguing that everyone who has ever used certain words on every occasion to describe what they perceive a certain players attributes are as being intentional or accidentally racist.

Also Confucius once said that "one who quotes Socrates on an online forum has lost the fecking argument."
Spot on.

Outside of the sport as well, there is a pattern documented sociologists where people dismiss or excuse a current act or statement with racist implications by recalling a previous act that was deemed not racist, tolerant, etc.

In this article, I thought the author did a terrific job of highlighting the problem. His number one example is the Lukaku versus Morata debate. The reactions and opinions of pundits and fans, including on this forum, have a not so nuanced racist undertone. There's no stretching or exaggeration, it's blatant, clear as day. And the fact that this tendency is accepted and so widely used is the problem.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Gosh, how could a sport which currently has exactly zero openly gay players out of the more than 2000 players in the top 4 league divisions, and only 3 black managers out of the 92 teams possibly be accused of having any kind of institutional bigotry issues? :rolleyes:

Sterling Archer

Gosh, how could a sport which currently has exactly zero openly gay players out of the more than 2000 players in the top 4 league divisions, and only 3 black managers out of the 92 teams possibly be accused of having any kind of institutional bigotry issues? :rolleyes:
:lol: :(

GrandJury

In the UK football scene homophobia is a much bigger problem than racism is (not saying there aren't cases of racism).

Recent example: Leicester fans chanting about Brighton. Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41000016

GrandJury

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
While I agree that generalizations are harmful and should not be done so easily, I don't see why people attribute some of this to racism. It's not racist to say that Italian people are in general less organized but more spontaneous than Germans, is it? They are basically of the same race, and it doesn't mean that every single Italian will be more spontanenous and less organized than every single German you compare him with, just that it's a general trend. People jump to 'THAT'S RACIST!!!!!!!' too quickly at times and the sensitivity on the subject is sometimes vastly over the top.

Dir Wangem

If 1.5% of the general population are gay I would estimate that only around 0.15% of footballers are gay. So in the English leagues that equates to ~3 gay footballers.
Any reason for why you think a man from the general public is 10 times more likely to be gay? :lol:

Keep in mind that this is just based on the current 2000 footballers. How many have there been since the early 90s? This is clearly a big problem.