Pre-Barcelona Press Conference - 6.30pm BST 24/07/15 | Moaning ahoy!

buckooo1978

his body language tells me Di Maria and De Gea are both going....

Kinda hope we would be hanging onto both

prath92

If Valencia starts tomorrow I might have a breakdown.
There's a good chance he will. He hasn't played yet so he needs to get back into match fitness. Plus I think it's very possible that Valencia would start at least a couple of games at the start of the PL.

vodrake

I'm sure he did, but I see no reason to say that. What, if we get to the final we won't bother trying to win and will be happy to get close?
You're really bending over backwards to skew that into something negative. He's clearly just meaning that he's not expecting to win the thing this season, not that he's going to go out of his way not to win it or something stupid.

redevil2

Why tell Spurs you're team unless you're lying?
I've already accepted there will be Schweinsteiger injuries.
He needs to get some training regarding media and some coaching of the English language, to pick up more vocabularies for example. This way, he can choose to answer questions as wished and not felt obligated to do so.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
"Our aim this season is not to win the Champions League but to be close".

Think of the uproar if Moyes had said that.
From not even being qualified for the Europa League to be 'close to win the Champions League'' is quite a progress, not ? Dont focus to much on the pixel here. Besides, the majority of the fans will not agree to the idea of us winning the CL this season. Nothing wrong with telling the plain truth and being realistic aye.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
It's never easy to know how literally one should interpret Louie due to his English, but pedantically he did say Ramos and Pedro were "in a process."

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hmmmm... Maybe he sees Jones ahead of Smalling right now due to his playing out from the back? Also, no Herrera :( If there's one player in midfield who should be in the team vs Barca, I'd say it would be Ander. In terms of quick passing and keeping the ball under pressure, Herrera is arguably the best in our squad at it.

Sam

It's never easy to know how literally one should interpret Louie due to his English, but pedantically he did say Ramos and Pedro were "in a process."
'A process' does seem to be his go to phrase for any question he doesn't want to answer :lol:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
LVG bores the shite out of me, process, philosophy bla bla bla.
can't be serious, whilst this wasn't the most electrifying, outing valdes, calling jackson a liar, Mike. They've been great.

Last edited:

redevil2

"Our aim this season is not to win the Champions League but to be close".

Think of the uproar if Moyes had said that.
Sigh! It's not about him being honest. He's stupid. No manager of our club stature shouldered be allowed to say things like that. He must get some media coaching immediately.

Truedevil

You just know Herrera will be relegated to the bench for the beginning of the season:mad:

Hostekule

Sigh! It's not about him being honest. He's stupid. No manager of our club stature shouldered be allowed to say things like that. He must get some media coaching immediately.
If anything he should be punished for not improving his English. Don't read too much into his comments, he clearly isn't anywhere near fluent in the language even after a year. What he's trying to say is that our minimum expectation is to go far surely.

Sam

If Jones/Blind are our first choice centre back partnership this season, we can write off any hopes of winning anything already quite frankly.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You just know Herrera will be relegated to the bench for the beginning of the season:mad:
The one player who definitely knows how to play against Barca. It might show if Morgan can play against this calibre of team or if he will be out of his depth. Blind at CB against the quick Barca.:eek::eek::eek:. You never know Wayne might score a goal.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jones and Blind at CB ffs. Ander probably won't start either

redevil2

If anything he should be punished for not improving his English. Don't read too much into his comments, he clearly isn't anywhere near fluent in the language even after a year. What he's trying to say is that our minimum expectation is to go far surely.
I already said above that he needs to get English language coaching so as to at least avail himself some more vocabulary. It would help him to know how to answer questions that he doesn't feel like answering and not be pressed. I am very disappointed he poured his heart out about not aiming to win the CL. How dare him say that.

Zoo

Probably Jones first half, Smalling second half as the right CB's. Blind is filling in for Ramos as the left CB.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I think van Gaal is seeing if Blind can be a suitable back up CB.

I dont know if we will get Otamendi or others that have been mentioned.

But whoever we get Smalling will definitely be one of the pair.
Yeah, he called him his 3rd captain which shows he rates hin highly.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Smalling is miles better then Rojo and he's being kept out of the team by Blind.
Not really. Smalling plays on the right side so if anything it's Jones keeping him out. Still don't believe at all that we will start the season off with Blind at CB.

Zoo

I already said above that he needs to get English language coaching so as to at least avail himself some more vocabulary. It would help him to know how to answer questions that he doesn't feel like answering and not be pressed. I am very disappointed he poured his heart out about not aiming to win the CL. How dare him say that.
I think he was just trying to temper it, both he and Rooney were asked about what the game against Barca will tell us about where we are in comparison to the big hitters in Europe. But even if we beat Barca it doesn't mean much at all as we saw last pre-season when we were unbeaten and beat Real Madrid who had just won the CL.

Hostekule

There is no point in aiming for winning the CL if you don't believe your player material is good enough. Even if it was, it's highly unrealistic that we will create a team able to beat the best teams already this season.

I would assume our priority this season is to challenge for the PL title, minimum top 4, and go as far as possible in the CL. Nothing wrong with that.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Any reason why there still at San Jose's ground when they're are playing in Santa Clara, genuine question. I know it's not far away but...
Maybe Levi's Stadium is unavailable due to an event tonight? Santa Clara and San Jose are neighboring cities. Google Maps shows that Avaya Stadium and Levi's Stadium are only 14 minutes away from each other.