Pre Season Tour 2014

NM

Needless to say, I will be at the DC game. Can't wait though I hope it's at RFK stadium instead of FedEx field.
What's the capacity of RFK? I'll be at as many games in Philly/NY/DC that I can make

NM

RFK seats around 47,000 which would be perfect. If it's at FedEX then money goes to Dan Snyder and he charges $8 a ticket for parking fees (regardless if you drive or not).
Really? That's BS. I will not be driving, so hopefully its RFk. United Barca was at Fedex though and we were outnumbered 2-1 by them.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Yup, some cracking games there. Inter v Madrid, Roma v United, City v Milan, Inter v United, Roma v Madrid, Milan v Liverpool, Madrid v United and then Liverpool v City. I'd always rather United goes on tour to the States rather then Asia or Africa like last season. Not only because I get to watch them, but the facilities and everything helps the team more I think then when they go to the poorer countries.
Living in one of these "poorer" countries myself I'm finding it hard to contain my mirth. While Thailand, Malaysia and China do have a great disparity between the cities and the country you'd struggle to fault the facilities in Bangkok, KL, Beijing or Shanghai while the idea of describing Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong or South Korea as poor is laughable especially if you want to start comparing any of the cities we have played in throughout Asia to the likes of Ann Arbor.

Glad we'll be playing some decent teams out there and hope the team turns up with the right mentality but too often these tours are merely corporate junkets and the players can't be arsed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Living in one of these "poorer" countries myself I'm finding it hard to contain my mirth. While Thailand, Malaysia and China do have a great disparity between the cities and the country you'd struggle to fault the facilities in Bangkok, KL, Beijing or Shanghai while the idea of describing Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong or South Korea as poor is laughable especially if you want to start comparing any of the cities we have played in throughout Asia to the likes of Ann Arbor.

Glad we'll be playing some decent teams out there and hope the team turns up with the right mentality but too often these tours are merely corporate junkets and the players can't be arsed.
Sorry, didn't mean to cause offense. Just generally the stream quality is awful, games are at 5 or 6 am for me when they go to places like last summer and in general the quality of games are all against much weaker teams, along with the facilities undoubtedly being worse. Also I feel like we start the season strongly when we go to america for pre season, and obviously the big fact that I actually get to go see a game or two. I'm sure it's understandable why I'd prefer it here :).

NM

Sorry, didn't mean to cause offense. Just generally the stream quality is awful, games are at 5 or 6 am for me when they go to places like last summer and in general the quality of games are all against much weaker teams, along with the facilities undoubtedly being worse. Also I feel like we start the season strongly when we go to america for pre season, and obviously the big fact that I actually get to go see a game or two. I'm sure it's understandable why I'd prefer it here :).
Well those reasons make sense, calling Singapore, Japan or South Korea is really ignorant though.

bosnian_red

Well those reasons make sense, calling Singapore, Japan or South Korea is really ignorant though.
Well when I said poorer countries I meant more the poorer African countries that we go to occasionally, and I feel like that just doesn't actually help the team as much as if they went to a country with better facilities. Of course its about a lot more then that, and we should go to all equally, I'm just saying what I prefer.

Bury Red

Same reasons here though and a few hundred million more United fans ;), the Premier League games air around midnight for me and the Champions League at 4 or 5 AM. I'll agree that better opposition would be better for the team in pre season than the usual mixed bag of local league/national teams they play over here but there's nothing stopping them bringing teams like Real and Milan with them in the same way as they are doing here. You really don't know Asia though if you think the facilities are a problem, here's Singapore's new stadium, opening later this year:

And you're comparing that with a 1920s built University football stadium?

As for the other facilities, the airports in Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, KL, Seoul, Tokyo, Beijing and Shanghai are better than anything the US has to offer as are the hotels. Maybe the climate in Singapore, KL, Bangkok and HK in mid summer make the tours a bit tougher but they're no worse than Miami or Dallas can be .

bosnian_red

@Bury Red fair enough! I'll change my opinion on why they should go to the states for my own selfish reasons then so I can go watch them and leave it at that :lol:

Bury Red

@Bury Red fair enough! I'll change my opinion on why they should go to the states for my own selfish reasons then so I can go watch them and leave it at that :lol:
:lol: Same selfish reason here although it's a damned sight harder getting tickets for the tours out here as the demand is huge, unless a ticket fell in my lap I'd probably end up watching it on TV and leave the live attendance to the next time I'm back in the UK for a real match. Did go and see United in Hong Kong years back as I'd won tickets to a gala dinner with the team afterwards but the match was pretty dire, with the highlight being Dong Fangzhou scoring on his United debut.

In reality the difficulty with the Asian and African tours is that they're more about giving back to overseas communities that have large United support bases and the local FAs expect to field their teams against world class opponents to show off which tends to result in pretty dire matches. They'd not really be keen on a packaged tour of super teams as that would eat into their local power and may even affect local league viewing figures. They're good money spinners for the club though and do give overseas fans that might otherwise never get the chance to see United in the flesh a lasting memory. With the US tours it's all about the likes of the Glazers and the MLS trying to drum up a bit more interest in a sport that isn't really watched there and as such is usually on a hiding to nothing.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Didn't we go to the US fairly recently?

Though it will be good for the team to be playing better quality opposition during preseason, even if I can see the teams involved not taking it overly seriously.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
About 3 years ago i think. The year we bought Hernandez.
A good season followed: undefeated in the league until February, CL final (thumped by Barça at Wembley, sure), a nice league title, Rooney playing some nice stuff behind Chicha... I remember that pre-season, we get destroying the MLS teams when one of my friends that loves the MLS kept telling me before the games 'you know, it won't be easy, Utd are in pre season form, the MLS teams are in the middle of a season, it's going to be tough' :lol:

Chicha played his first game with us after having played a half with the Chivas, if I recall correctly. And then went on to score in the Charity Shield against Chelsea with the shot into his head that went into goal! :lol:

bosnian_red

A good season followed: undefeated in the league until February, CL final (thumped by Barça at Wembley, sure), a nice league title, Rooney playing some nice stuff behind Chicha... I remember that pre-season, we get destroying the MLS teams when one of my friends that loves the MLS kept telling me before the games 'you know, it won't be easy, Utd are in pre season form, the MLS teams are in the middle of a season, it's going to be tough' :lol:

Chicha played his first game with us after having played a half with the Chivas, if I recall correctly. And then went on to score in the Charity Shield against Chelsea with the shot into his head that went into goal! :lol:
We went there the year after as well. Both 10/11 and 11/12, and we started both off really well.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Ed probably decided that a transatlantic flight's easier than a flight from Down Under in case of "pressing business."

Cal?

CR7 fan
As for the other facilities, the airports in Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, KL, Seoul, Tokyo, Beijing and Shanghai are better than anything the US has to offer as are the hotels. Maybe the climate in Singapore, KL, Bangkok and HK in mid summer make the tours a bit tougher but they're no worse than Miami or Dallas can be .
Those 3 cities have airports ranked in the top 3 in the world for the past many years...

Japan have better training facilities than most countries in Europe, and we became world champions there! :drool:

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I'll be going to the Washington game, and I'll be attending the Olymipakos Milan at NYC. Liverpool vs Citeh is just a day after the Washington game, so I'll give it a miss I think, but it's close enough at NYC.

Infra-red

bosnian_red

Not sure why the Michigan game isn't on sale yet.
Yeah I'm just waiting on that. Looking at the fan pack it doesn't seem bad at all. You go in the section behind the goal, get a scarf and a keychain (so much, I know) all for 100$. The Barca game a few years back was more iirc.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah I'm just waiting on that. Looking at the fan pack it doesn't seem bad at all. You go in the section behind the goal, get a scarf and a keychain (so much, I know) all for 100$. The Barca game a few years back was more iirc.

$ 100 per match? Not bad .

bosnian_red

This is frustrating. Looking at tickets for the DC game (Madrid-United) and they don't seem to have supporters sections. And the prices are really high.
The DC game is United-Inter isn't it?
Anyways, here you go:
http://internationalchampionscup.com/fpland/manchester_united/

Those are the "fan packs", 100$ per ticket and you get a scarf with it along with supporters section seats. The United-Madrid game in Ann Arbor isn't confirmed yet. Probably because it isn't confirmed that United will actually be there because of potential Europa League qualifiers.