Pre Season Tour 2014

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I met several people in Philadelphia a few years ago from the caf, including @vivs. I think she's going to the game in Ann Arbor though.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I want Wilson, Pereira and Varela get a shot at the tour this summer. I'm hoping they make the step-up like Januzaj. :)

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Can't really be arsed to find out the dates but is the tour happening as the same time the World Cup is on?

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Thanks. Wonder if Van Gaal(It's looking like he's going to be the next guy in) will go straight into the job or will take a break(obviously depends how far Holland will go in the World Cup. Their group is very much :nervous:). Going from the comments from Giggs today it sounds like he might not want a assistant job, could be interesting to see who would take charge for the tour.

Also I agree would be great if some of the youth players got to go on the tour although I remember someone saying on here that few of the youth prospects could be involved with the England u21's

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Thanks. Wonder if Van Gaal(It's looking like he's going to be the next guy in) will go straight into the job or will take a break(obviously depends how far Holland will go in the World Cup. Their group is very much :nervous:). Going from the comments from Giggs today it sounds like he might not want a assistant job, could be interesting to see who would take charge for the tour.

Also I agree would be great if some of the youth players got to go on the tour although I remember someone saying on here that few of the youth prospects could be involved with the England u21's
If you go by what reports were saying, he's already enjoying a short vacation in Portugal before he meets up with the rest of his squad.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
If you go by what reports were saying, he's already enjoying a short vacation in Portugal before he meets up with the rest of his squad.
I don't think Van Gaal starting late will cause any real problems. I would guess he has a fair few ideas about the squad and what needs changing already.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
I know it's still some time away--but some of you may want some information about DC to help plan your trip. The two links below are for The Washingtonian, that's sort of like our Time Out. I've also included a link to The Washington Post (our local paper) visitor's guide-which has great information about things you can do in the DC area.

The Washingtonian

http://www.washingtonian.com/

Washington Post Vistor's Guide

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/dc-visitors-guide.html

I figure some of you went to the United-Barca game a few years back-so have some information to share. Regarding the stadium--it sucks. There's no public transportation nearby-in part due to the Prince George's County government wanting a stadium and the then-owner of the Redskins wanting tax breaks greater than what DC was willing to pay. The closest Metro stop is about a mile away-and gets jammed up after games. If you're driving, give yourself plenty of time (like 2.5 hours) to get to the stadium from anywhere in the DC area.

DC's a great place to visit-but the weather in July will be hot and humid. Unfortunately, both local major league baseball teams are out of town when United are playing-but if you're interested in seeing a baseball game you could check out a minor league game. The Frederick Keys are home the weekend before the United game-Frederick's a nice town about 50 miles north of DC--it's a fun atmosphere and a slice of Americana.

I'd be happy to offer more suggestions. DC has a lot of museums-but if you have the time and inclination there are a ton of things to see and do within an hour or so drive-particularly if there are any Civil War buffs out there.

Last edited:

JefferiesTube

I want us to win this pre-season tournament. Failure is not an option. We need to show the others team we are not messing about and ready to kick all their asses. You get a trophy for winning the tournament? It will be van Gaal's first trophy for Manchester United. Hope we meet Liverpool in semis or final so we can destroy them.

Suus

I really hope we get to see alot of Zaha, Powell, Lingard, Wilson, Lawrence, Janko and Keane in the pre-season tour.

Gannicus

I'll be at the Rose Bowl on a July 23. Louis's first match at the helm, I believe.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
With some of our big United players exiting the World Cup early, any chance of them joining the tour? Granted, a well rested team may be extremely important for a good start this upcoming season.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ds-England-stars-pre-season-America-tour.html

Daily Mail reported this a couple of days ago. It's interesting to see since our Spanish and English players will get a long break anyway from being out of the world cup so early on.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
How much were they? And do you have accommodations set up?
They were like $100 each but they come with some crap(scarf or something) too. I have no idea where we'll stay yet. I have friends in DC I could crash with probably. It just depends on if I feel like imposing on them. Since it's at FedEx, it's pretty far out of the way.

khoazany

SirAF

Ageist
So jealous of everyone going to these matches.. the combination of a US vacation and United :drool:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
When are the players reporting back to training?
Youth and Ressies are back in today according to the ever reliable Mr Mujac.

I don't think whether or not the players photos are on the official site means anything.
The people behind it are notoriously slow at updating things and also about factual information.
Marcus Rashford has signed as a Scholar, all the players report back to training today so any info that exists will start to filter through.
Players just getting ready for Milk Cup now.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
The great thing about this pre season is that the core of the team will be present for the second game and by the end of July, we'll have almost all of our player and then been ready for the first game of the season without any major problem.

For the first game :

Lindegaard

Rafael
Evans
Keane
?????

Carrick
Cleverley
Herrera
Lingard
Young
Wilson

For the second game :

De Gea

Jones
Evans
Smalling
Shaw

Carrick
Herrera

Valencia
Mata
Rooney
Welbeck

YzWayne

The great thing about this pre season is that the core of the team will be present for the second game and by the end of July, we'll have almost all of our player and then been ready for the first game of the season without any major problem.

For the first game :

Lindegaard

Rafael
Evans
Keane
?????

Carrick
Cleverley
Herrera
Lingard
Young
Wilson

For the second game :

De Gea

Jones
Evans
Smalling
Shaw

Carrick
Herrera

Valencia
Mata
Rooney
Welbeck

Glad you took note that RVP, Evra, adnan and Vidal won't be reporting back so soon

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
This is going to be great, games against La Galaxy, Roma, Inter and Real Madrid are very exiting. Last years tour kinda sucked, we lost nearly every game and the MUTV commentary was awful. Januzaj and Lingaard were great positives though.

The games are against much better opposition this summer, which means we should be better prepared for the first 10 games of the new season in which we need to pick up close to maximum points, to give us a good shot at reclaiming the league title. Can't wait!

Gerald G

They still won't play in the first game. The first game will be quite weird it will be predominantly youngsters/fringe players.

MarylandMUFan

For stadium nerds like me, this is where United will be playing:

July 23rd vs. LA Galaxy in the Rose Bowl, seats 92k (not the LA Galaxy's regular home):

July 26th vs. AS Roma - Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium, seats 76k:

July 29th vs. Inter Milan at FedEx Field, seats 91k:

And the big one:
August 2nd vs. Real Madrid at Michigan Stadium (seats 110k):

Funny that the 2 bigger stadiums are for college american football and the 2 "smaller" stadiums are for the NFL.