g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Predict the World Cup final

Ban

France 3-0. I think Kante will be all over Modric, Pogba will be first to everything and they'll dominate the only area where Croatia have similar talent level. I expect them to score fairly early and get a 2nd somewhere between 40-60 mins and then just have fun on the counter.

Too much to ask of Croatia after going through 3 lots of extra time and being physically and emotionally knackered. France got an extra days rest and haven't had to run too hard. I don't see much of a contest TBH.
You're a man on a mission here. Kudos you're really into it, going all in.

Ban

It will be a demolition job for France. Their midfield can actually nullify Modric’s 5 lungs and their 3 forwards +Pogba will punish them. Varane and Umtiti will have a field day
8:1 France I reckon

It's fast becoming a horrible thread this one.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
France 2 - Croatia 2
Mbappe and Varane / Mandzukic and Raktic
Extra time winner: Perisic

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
One of the two will win : France or Croatia. There will not be any doubt who will have won because that is the country that won. You will know they won because they scored more goals than the country that didn't win. France will win if they score more goals than Croatia - in which case Croatia will lose because they scored less goals than France. Croatia will win if they score more goals than France - in which case France will lose because they scored less goals than Croatia.

France or Croatia will be the world champion, not European champion - because this is the world cup after all, despite it being an all European clash. But it's the world cup and one will win it. One of the two because there are indeed two countries in the final: France and Croatia. Not more, not less.

Because there are only two countries, the odds of winning this are 50% for France and 50% for Croatia. Unless of course France out plays Croatia in which case it stands to reason that 50% - 50% split could in actuality be perceived as being closer to 75%-25% in favor of France. But it could also be 80%-20%. It all depends on how good France plays. It also depends on how poorly Croatia plays. But similarly Croatia could be playing better than France in which case they might have a 65% chance of beating France. It could be more, it could be less.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah we are really bad aren't we. Sour grapes.
Sour grapes? No gripe with Croatia at all. They're a very tidy technical team with some impossible not to be impressed by players like Modric.

Not the sort of quality that should be in a world cup final in my book. As we'll see on Sunday I fear.

Ban

Sour grapes? No gripe with Croatia at all. They're a very tidy technical team with some impossible not to be impressed by players like Modric.

Not the sort of quality that should be in a world cup final in my book. As we'll see on Sunday I fear.
Yeah no gripe with Croatia but we're not sort of quality that should be in the final and we'll get slaughtered by your book.

If not sour grapes then bollocks sorry.

Timothy Burns

I've looked deep into my crystal ball and
Semi Final 2

Croatia sneak an early lead. 1-0 and England look to be rocking. However they hold out until half time. England score early in the second half and Croatia start to fade. Around 75 minutes England are denied a penalty because of VAR or a Croatian player should be sent off but isn't.

The game goes into extra time and becomes extremely cagey. Rashford comes on and Croatia nearly score but England go up the other end and grab a late winner.
(England 2 - 1 Croatia, AET)
Impressive how accurate this ended up being, albeit describing opposite teams.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
One of the two will win : France or Croatia. There will not be any doubt who will have won because that is the country that won. You will know they won because they scored more goals than the country that didn't win. France will win if they score more goals than Croatia - in which case Croatia will lose because they scored less goals than France. Croatia will win if they score more goals than France - in which case France will lose because they scored less goals than Croatia.

France or Croatia will be the world champion, not European champion - because this is the world cup after all, despite it being an all European clash. But it's the world cup and one will win it. One of the two because there are indeed two countries in the final: France and Croatia. Not more, not less.

Because there are only two countries, the odds of winning this are 50% for France and 50% for Croatia. Unless of course France out plays Croatia in which case it stands to reason that 50% - 50% split could in actuality be perceived as being closer to 75%-25% in favor of France. But it could also be 80%-20%. It all depends on how good France plays. It also depends on how poorly Croatia plays. But similarly Croatia could be playing better than France in which case they might have a 65% chance of beating France. It could be more, it could be less.
Sounds like a book report I'd write for school when I didn't read the book.

Schneckerl

France didn't blow out Australia and Peru, but they will surely start doing it now with Croatia in the WC final.

ZupZup

I think France will win this fairly comfortably. I suspect the arrogance and lack of humility I am seeing in Croatian media at the moment will come back to bite them. Talking like they have already won the match and are better than France.

Rista

There's a fine line between arrogance and self belief. You don't get to a World Cup final thinking "well, they have better individuals in this and this position, we're probably out". You also certainly don't win the thing without believing you can do it. These supposedly arrogant quotes by the croatian media are hilarious.

Whoever wins it will be a deserving world champion, no ifs and buts about that.

Greck

Will be a drab affair with both teams daring the other to take the initiative.

buckooo1978

would love to see Croatia do it but I can see France 2-0

France will get one, play conservatively and get another one on the break late on

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I would absolutely love to see a new team win the world cup but I can't see past France unfortunately and have thought they'd win since the QF.

I don't see a weakness in their team tbh. I think it will be a 2-0 or a 2-1 victory.

But good luck to Croatia, I love watching Modric especially/

Ban

I think France will win this fairly comfortably. I suspect the arrogance and lack of humility I am seeing in Croatian media at the moment will come back to bite them. Talking like they have already won the match and are better than France.
You're going by few quotes nitpicked here or you really read our media?
In any case it's not the media who'll play the game.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I know a lot of people thought England were "arrogant", but not a peep on the Croatian arrogance?

'The national broadcaster, HRT, started its post-match programme with presenters and studio guests jumping around and chanting, while Robert Prosinecki, a member of Croatia’s bronze-winning side in 1998, said: “We murdered the English in the second half!”. Josko Jelicic, Croatia’s self-styled answer to Gary Lineker, added: “They [England] have nothing to cry about – they were knocked out by the future world champions. We played a mature game, the English were unbelievably inferior”.

The Vecernji list newspaper went with the headline “We knocked the English down, Croatia are in the World Cup final!”, with Zeljko Jankovic writing how Croatia and France will now decide “who plays the best football on the planet at the moment”. It turned out to be rhetorical as he answered it himself by adding: “It’s Croatia, don’t even doubt that!”

Vecernji’s website devoted an unusual amount of space to gloating over the fate of the losing team, with headlines such as “Football’s not coming home”, “The arrogance hit them back”, “The English are sore losers” and even published a photo gallery titled “Look how the English cry after losing to Croatia” with pictures of downbeat players and fans.

“France, who are better than England, can hardly stop them”, wrote Drazen Antolic. “That will be a true final, a top clash between the two sides who have shown the most at the tournament.”

To be honest I never saw that type of arrogance and gloating coming out of England. You'd think they didn't scrape past very average Denmark and Russia teams on penalties or the so-called overrated, terrible English team.

So surely the first game they play a good team in the KO stages is Sunday? Let's see what happens. All of this will come back to bite them as they will be crying on Sunday and making excuses no doubt. France will play them off the park and probably have Croatia with a negative goal difference in the KO stages.
You have seemed to take a big note of a post-match reaction after something we were certain to never see happen and pure delirium. The only thing I don't like is that Vecernji newspaper saying English being sore losers because I've not noticed that from media or the team, at least in terms how they viewed the game and their attitude afterwards. If anything, it was the opposite.

I think that pretty much everyone in Croatia is aware that this would be the biggest upset in World Cup history if we pulled this off and, well, the man can dream for a few days. Huge underdogs, but let's go and win it because if you don't go into it with that mindset you don't have any chance.

I don't mind you shitting on our team and our chances, but do like your modest view on things while shiting all over the Russian team who were host, beat Spain and Denmark who didn't lose 18 games going into Croatia match (not beaten by France either). While not being the best teams, certainly a good sides.
And even if you don't think we constantly showed our quality (I even agree with that, but then no other team was also able to produce the same) it is hard to ignore character and fighting spirit from the team who went behind in every single knockout match while also playing extra-time.

Ban

You have seemed to take a big note of a post-match reaction after something we were certain to never see happen and pure delirium. The only thing I don't like is that Vecernji newspaper saying English being sore losers because I've not noticed that from media or the team, at least in terms how they viewed the game and their attitude afterwards. If anything, it was the opposite.

I think that pretty much everyone in Croatia is aware that this would be the biggest upset in World Cup history if we pulled this off and, well, the man can dream for a few days. Huge underdogs, but let's go and win it because if you don't go into it with that mindset you don't have any chance.

I don't mind you shitting on our team and our chances, but do like your modest view on things while shiting all over the Russian team who were host, beat Spain and Denmark who didn't lose 18 games going into Croatia match (not beaten by France either). While not being the best teams, certainly a good sides.
And even if you don't think we constantly showed our quality (I even agree with that, but then no other team was also able to produce the same) it is hard to ignore character and fighting spirit from the team who went behind in every single knockout match while also playing extra-time.
Great post. Večernji is a crap paper anyway. Its always easy to find few bad quotes and paint the whole country and the whole team as arrogant. Neville was giving it large at HT, Mcnanaman portrayed us as a crap team before the game and I certainly didn't think all English pundits were arrogant cause of that. Lots of things were said in the spur of the moment and I'm sure some of English media would be smug and giddy if their team had won.

ZupZup

You're going by few quotes nitpicked here or you really read our media?
In any case it's not the media who'll play the game.
This is exactly my point... ok for Croatia to take a few nitpicked comments from our media and call the English arrogant though to suit their little narrative. The reaction after the match tells you all you need to know about what the media here think of this England team's performance. If they all thought Croatia were such pushovers, you'd expect some criticism of the team.. no?

Ban

This is exactly my point... ok for Croatia to take a few nitpicked comments from our media and call the English arrogant though to suit their little narrative. The reaction after the match tells you all you need to know about what the media here think of this England team's performance. If they all thought Croatia were such pushovers, you'd expect some criticism of the team.. no?
What do you mean Croatia? Some were saying English are arrogant some weren't. I guess that's the point? You can't talk about media as whole or a team.
Some players read and heard some stuff and felt underrated.
About the reaction, there was some criticism, that's not related to us being pushovers or not.

If only our players read this thread. Some the posts would fire them up nicely.
Demolition job, easy, tired, lots of goals for France. :D

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I honestly have no idea. People say we're favorites but I don't believe that. I mean we technically are considering the rest we've had and all the extra football Croatia had. I just don't think fatigue will be much of a factor. Teams know how to prepare for these games (an injection here, an injection there...) and this is the biggest of their lives. If a team beats the other, it will probably by 1 goal margin.
To all the people saying Croatians are displaying arrogance in the media, well they're also doing the same in France, a lot of people think this done and dusted. This is why I never give it much importance

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Yes, i agree. Why would a team which beat 6 teams including england and argentina be in wc final. That is rubbish.
World cup should be divided in two groups.
One group should be italy, spain, england, france, germany , brasil and argentina. And they would play for trophy.
Other group would be all other teams who would play for tickets and right to watch final. Because it is really ridiculous to have "minor" football country in world cup final. Outrageous really. To steal that spot from brasil or germany. Pathetic from croatia

Lougie86

Supports
Partick Thistle
Yes, i agree. Why would a team which beat 6 teams including england and argentina be in wc final. That is rubbish.
World cup should be divided in two groups.
One group should be italy, spain, england, france, germany , brasil and argentina. And they would play for trophy.
Other group would be all other teams who would play for tickets and right to watch final. Because it is really ridiculous to have "minor" football country in world cup final. Outrageous really. To steal that spot from brasil or germany. Pathetic from croatia
Well said that man :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Woziak

I have to admit I've fancied Croatia from day 1 and got 33/1 each way I so can't lose. As an England and United Fan, I thought they deserved to be in the final. They have shown a mental toughness and real quality on the ball. The England game was much closer than most may believe but Croatia never know when their beat which means France are in for a very, very tough game.
I am going out on a limb here and take them to do what they did to England win 2-1 in Extra Time and become the 9th country to lift the Fifa World Cup. They are clearly a tournament team because many forget they finished second to Iceland in World Cup Qualification so let's hope they take the big CUP back to Croatia as it would be fantastic that a small country of 4 million can lift the biggest trophy in World Football.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Croatia are better against better teams no doubt. They have so much quality that can hurt France. I think France have a lot more dimensions to their game and that’s what will ultimately see them through. Another 1-0 AET similar to previous tournaments.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No. Arrogance is when you say for your opponent that they are poor, that they are one man team, that they are lucky to be in semis. Arrogance is when you on half time say " how the hell this shit team ended in semis".

Saying that france is fantastic team which have world class players on every position but who can be beat is faith in your ability.

Nick7

I have to admit I've fancied Croatia from day 1 and got 33/1 each way I so can't lose. As an England and United Fan, I thought they deserved to be in the final. They have shown a mental toughness and real quality on the ball. The England game was much closer than most may believe but Croatia never know when their beat which means France are in for a very, very tough game.
I am going out on a limb here and take them to do what they did to England win 2-1 in Extra Time and become the 9th country to lift the Fifa World Cup. They are clearly a tournament team because many forget they finished second to Iceland in World Cup Qualification so let's hope they take the big CUP back to Croatia as it would be fantastic that a small country of 4 million can lift the biggest trophy in World Football.
Thanks for bolding that. Wasn't sure what final Croatia got to.