Liverpool, AC Milan

TEAM ENIGMA_87

Tactics
– Direct, Attacking
Formation – 442, easily merging into 4-3-3
Defensive Line - Balanced
Marking – Zonal

Defence:
Fairly bog standard setup of defensive line. Stam comes to the fore as one of the greatest ever PL defenders. Next to him is Desailly who on his own is also one of the greatest CB's in the pool(and all time) playing alongside the new addition Andrew Robertson who established himself as one of the greatest LB in the PL era. Petrescu is in more attacking role, able to roam on the right flank and make it his own. In front of him Beckham provides balance as he's able to tuck in and further strengthen the core of our midfield that protects the back four.

Midfield:
Son
plays out wide as a left winger/left wide forward role where he can cut in and score, whilst also stretch the opposition defensive line on counter and use his pace to punish the opposition and catch them on the back foot. The cream of the crop is Roy Keane next to Vieira forming the best CM duo in the PL era. A midfield base of two midfield generals who I think compliment each other very well, with one of them - Keane more defensive minded but also able to stuck in and sweep in behind when we are off the ball and Vieira, who with his long strides can surge forward when on the ball and add to the attacking threats in front of him. Beckham is in his zone bringing his phenomenal passing ability and also balance to the midfield being able to add numbers in the middle but also stretch the opposition defence and double on the flank alongside Petrescu.

Attack:
A new and big addition to the team is Kun Aguero. Unarguably the one of the top 3 strikers in PL era, alongside Henry and Shearer, he slots perfectly alongside Bergkamp, who can supply him with passes and use his movement to unlock the opposition defence. Kun is a complete and versatile forward who not only is an upgrade to Wright, but also compliments Bergkamp very well. His finishing is one of the best in the game and his movement allows Bergkamp, Son to get into favorable positions and also attack the box, whilst his technique and one touch play allows him to be very involved in the game and participate in the build up.

Aguero Profile:
Over almost a decade in England, Sergio Agüero established himself as one of the greatest centre-forwards of the Premier League era, surpassing Thierry Henry as the highest-scoring foreign player in the division’s history despite persistent injury problems. Over a period of unrivalled spending at Manchester City and under three different managers, Agüero was also an irreplaceable member of the most successful English team in that time, winning a vast number of trophies and awards, both in a team and on an individual level. His retirement while at Barcelona, in December 2021 at the age of 33, unquestionably followed the end of an era. Agüero, David Silva, Vincent Kompany and Yaya Touré were those most responsible for delivering so much success, and by the start of 2020/21 only Agüero remained.

“He’s a guy in the box with a sense of goal,” Pep Guardiola, once so influential at Barça, said of the Argentinian. “He can score from everywhere, in all the positions. He’s an incredible striker, incredible. That he has more goals than a legend like Thierry Henry is an incredible achievement.”

Tactical analysis
Agüero was one of the world’s best strikers largely because he got into a position to score so frequently – be that through clever off-the-ball movement or working a shooting opportunity of his own. The timing of his runs and subtle movements to lose a marker and reach the end of a ball into the penalty area were some of his greatest strengths.

An attacker who looked to get in behind opposing defences, Agüero tended to make his runs on the blindside of a central defender to give him the best chance of getting in on goal, and if that defender turned to see his run, it would mean they had taken their attention off the ball, also giving him an advantage. Though he was also comfortable withdrawing towards play, Agüero’s instinct was to be more penetrative with his movement; he also adjusted his game to better suit Guardiola’s style of play after the Spaniard’s arrival at City.

The calibre of pass that came his way at City certainly contributed to the success he had, and he built a hugely effective understanding with their playmakers, particularly Kevin De Bruyne. After taking a central position, usually between the opposing centre-backs, Agüero increased his speed as soon as he saw his teammate glance up to look his way (below) and made his move into space in the hope of providing a bigger target for the player delivering the ball.

The majority of his shots and goals came off a single touch, an ability that made him even more dangerous in the area because he didn’t need time to set himself before taking a shot. However, when he had the time and space he was capable of taking an additional touch, readjusting, and getting his shot off quickly if the attempted assist was not as accurate as he had hoped or towards the wrong foot. He required such little backlift to generate power in his shots that he didn’t need long to take a touch and shoot.

The combination of his movement and positioning complemented his finishing ability. He was relatively strong in the air and could finish with both feet and with power and accuracy, and consistently caught opponents off-guard before ruthlessly punishing them.

His skill set was also far from limited to his finishing – he arguably did not get enough credit for his contribution to build-up play. He improved significantly at dropping into deeper positions to draw an opposing centre-back out of position and link play. He rarely caught the eye because he didn’t have the vision or passing ability to play killer passes like a centre-forward such as Harry Kane, but he played an important role in disrupting the opposition’s defensive line through his movement and a simple passing game that meant he usually retained possession – something that was key for Guardiola.

Role at Manchester City
It spoke volumes about Agüero’s importance to City that he remained their first-choice centre-forward throughout his time in Manchester and, perhaps most significantly, for the duration of his and Guardiola’s time at the club. Speculation as to whether Agüero was the type of forward Guardiola favoured when he took over in 2016 persisted – some questioned if Agüero was comfortable enough coming to get the ball in deep positions and if he could adapt to the demands and intensity of Guardiola’s coaching and playing style.

Those doubts proved unfounded. Agüero not only kept his place in their team but was City’s top goalscorer every season between his arrival in 2011 and 2019. He was beaten to that title by Raheem Sterling in 2019/20, when injury meant he started only 18 Premier League games. It was also in that season, with Agüero absent for significant periods, when City were beaten to the title by Liverpool by the significant margin of 18 points.

City made the pitch as big as possible when they had the ball, and Agüero was key to that, stretching play by pushing high, often beyond the opposition’s defence, to try and force them back. When City were building out from the back, he stayed in an advanced position to create space for their midfielders to operate in (above).

He provided a focal point for their attack, but given they almost never played long balls he very rarely had to hold play up for a long time to wait for others to join him. He instead held his position and waited for play to reach him. He was regularly, by some distance, the City player to have the fewest touches in a game.

On the occasions he did drop into midfield, he did a good job of pulling a centre-back out of position, creating space for Sterling – who played on the left but spent a great deal of time on the last line of the opposition’s defence – to run into. When Sterling did so, another defender often went with him, leaving even more space for an advancing number eight or full-back to move into (above).

It was close to goal, however, that Agüero’s contribution to his team’s play was greatest. He is one of the Premier League’s all-time leading goalscorers more because of his movement and understanding with his teammates than particularly exceptional finishing. Under Guardiola he tended to score a similar number of goals to his expected goals total, whereas the likes of Kane, Mo Salah and Jamie Vardy often heavily outscored their xG tally, suggesting Agüero scored the good chances that came his way and took fewer of his half-chances than his rivals; he just got into good positions to score more often than anyone else in England.

Agüero was a truly great player whose longevity, despite injury problems and his share of doubters, was genuinely remarkable. For almost the entirety of his career he remained a crucial member of one of the biggest teams in Europe.

Key matchups:
- TAA
is far from the best full backs in terms of defensive contribution and it's unlikely he will have the usual support that Hendo provides on the side. Son on the other hand has excellent record against City and has also scored in the 2 of the last 3 games against Pool lately. He has the ability to burn through the space and punish the opposition on a counter.
- Bergkamp vs Rodri. Rodri has proven to be a successful buy for City, but here hes up against the best #10 in the pool and someone who can waltz through pretty much any DM when on song. Most likely Rodri will be paired with AM's in front of him making his task really tough to contain one of the most creative hubs on the pitch.

Team style and tactics that are simple yet effective against a Pep inspired side:
- Our team boasts with the best midfield base in the draft, combining a midfield unit of dynamic players able to provide in both phases of the game. Becks, Vieira and Keane can disrupt the rhythm to any opposition midfield, and can switch play with ease. Key is Bergkamp and Becks passing game and Son/Aguero ability to run through channels and launch quick counter attacks. Becks/ Bergkamp can use Aguero / Son 's drive and pace and can find them either from deep or provide through balls that can slice open a more adventurous defensive unit that will operate in high line.

A fast and compact back line that can keep up with opposition pace and trickery and a fantastic finisher in Aguero who can score with little amount of touches and chances needed.

TEAM GIO

THE CITY BLUEPRINT - KLOPPIFIED

Every successful manager from the Premier League era has evolved and adapted winning teams to keep opponents guessing. The team now meshes the best of the modern Premier League game, borrowing from both Pep and Klopp, with shining lights of the 1990s and 2000s cherry-picked for their fit and quality. Central to the team getting here have been the following attributes:
  • passing and ball retention - fundamental for any team wishing to dominate the ball
  • technique - ability to handle pressure and take the ball in tight areas and progress forwards
  • ability to play in a high line and high press - the pace and proactivity to defend high and dominate territory, with physical and energetic midfielders and attackers to win the ball back early.
The team now adds a fourth:
  • ability in transition - firstly a midfield that is solid off the ball, strengthened through the return of Modric and introduction of Gullit. Modric having excelled in a similar system in Madrid, Gullit reprising his dual sweeper/central midfield roles from his time at Chelsea, offering physicality and laser-guided long passing. And secondly players in Cristiano and Salah who can break quickly through pace in attack, released by the defence-splitting vision of Gullit, De Bruyne, Trent and Modric.
What that should provide is:
  • Proactive high line, led by Ballon D'Or runner-up Van Dijk and last year's Player of the Year Dias
  • All-round midfield with vision, energy and tactical intelligence
  • High-powered attack that plunders goals from the wide forward areas.
CANTONA AS A FALSE 9

Cantona can use his physical presence to hold up the ball, his exceptional technique to drop off the defence and into the hole, and then his vision and craft to thread in runners. With Ronaldo and Salah surging though, Cantona has outlets of the highest calibre. He will relish the quick transitions enabled by the early service of Gullit, Modric, KDB, Trent and Van Dijk.

GULLIT AS A 6

Gullit's uber-versatility offers flexibility but given he played at both sweeper and the spare man in central midfield for Chelsea, sweeping the midfield here feels like a natural reflection of his time there. Intriguingly it was in the mid-1990s with Sampdoria and Chelsea when he played his best football since the late 1980s - achieving his highest media ratings and finishing runner-up (to Cantona no less) as the FWA Footballer of the Year [Separate post to follow in the main thread].

RONALDO AS THE X FACTOR

Whilst both teams are packed with quality, I think we have a genuine X factor with Ronaldo in Ballon d’Or winning form. Rounding off the fluid front three, he is expected to strike up a natural partnership with Cantona, cutting inside to plunder goals in the same way as Salah will do on the right. As much as the opposition will criticise Trent, Petrescu was a full-back in the same mould with a greater emphasis on their attacking game. In the absence of a credible defensive counter, the threat of Ronaldo supplied by Cantona, De Bruyne and Modric looks like the cleanest route to a goal and the most likely differentiator between the two sides.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Quick comment on Son. Here is his record against Trent:

Pretty underwhelming - 2 goals in 8 games and, for the record, neither goal anything to do with Trent.

Enigma_87

You know who
Quick comment on Son. Here is his record against Trent:

Pretty underwhelming - 2 goals in 8 games and, for the record, neither goal anything to do with Trent.
The difference is as mentioned in the OP. Pool play 4-3-3 with a midfield trio that protects the full backs, whilst City has 2 AM's and one DM who sweeps behind. In your set up it's Modric who is supposed to cover for TAA which is not optimal compared to Hendo.

Seeing this is more of a City inspired team and all throughout the draft here's Son's record against City:

TAA's game is based on attack and ability to run forward and his distribution.

Son played pretty well against Pool and it's not just about the goals. For example the player ratings in that 2:2:

Whereas TAA was one of the lowest rated in that game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The difference is as mentioned in the OP. Pool play 4-3-3 with a midfield trio that protects the full backs, whilst City has 2 AM's and one DM who sweeps behind. In your set up it's Modric who is supposed to cover for TAA which is not optimal compared to Hendo.

Seeing this is more of a City inspired team and all throughout the draft here's Son's record against City:

TAA's game is based on attack and ability to run forward and his distribution.

Son played pretty well against Pool and it's not just about the goals. For example the player ratings in that 2:2:

Whereas TAA was one of the lowest rated in that game.
Read the OP - you've prepared for a different game. After all we have twice as many Klopp players as we do Pep ones.

In anticipation of this game, our midfield has been rejigged with two of the three City players swapped out. It is much more in the mould of a Klopp midfield, with both Modric and Gullit offering greater defensive protection than Bernardo and Rodri. Modric offers more balance and defensive awareness, taking up the right positions to take the ball and win it back. Gullit obviously is a massive unit, and even in his early 30s a total athlete who physically dominated the league. Together they shore up the midfield while still being able to command the ball and feed the forwards.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
RUUD GULLIT

Was he still class at Chelsea?

Okay nerd, forget the numbers, what were the journos really saying?:

Match reports from that 0-0 home draw with Everton demonstrate the extent to which he was revelation. "Gullit brought skills taken for granted in Holland and Italy to the Premiership, where the radar-controlled pass has yet to see off the longbow," read David Lacey's enthusiastic Guardian report. "There were moments when Gullit laid the ball off at angles his new teammates didn't realise existed... he has come to English football as a sweeper, but this is plainly not what he is about.

Frank McGhee's Observer report explored Gullit's position a little further. "He scotched forever the public's image of a sweeper's job," it read. "Too often in the English game, any seasoned defender who can tackle a bit and whack the ball hard gets the job. Gullit proved it demands the most accomplished player in a team."
And what about the man himself?

Gullit on joining said:
I am very fit and by playing sweeper I can control the speed of the game. If you have possession of the ball you don't have to run around chasing after it.
Amen to that Ruud. How do we see you playing?

Gullit said:
It wasn't Glenn who asked me to play sweeper for Chelsea at first - it was me who told him that, if I joined, I wanted to play there, not as an an attacking midfielder like I was in Italy. I'd started out at the back at the beginning of my career, and it was a position I loved.

But the thing was, I was too much of a footballer to play in that position in the Premier League, the way it was then anyway. When a long ball came into the penalty area, I would take it down on my chest and then look to play from there. Glenn said: "Rudi, no, no, no. I understand what you're trying to do, but you put my defenders in difficulty like that.

Nowadays it would work [Hence dropping him into this modern team] - look at how many Premier League teams try to play out from defence. Back then they were used to always heading or clearing the ball away as far as possible, and I wanted to pass it around to them at the back. They did not want that pass, so Glenn said no, and asked me to change position to do it further forward instead.

I don't remember the game where that change was made but I do remember one of my team-mates, Gavin Peacock coming to me when I was in midfield and saying: "Rudi, how come you're always free?" I couldn't explain it to him, because it was just experience - you just learn how the ball comes out of certain situations, and that you will have space if you stay in a certain place. In England, there was more of that space than there was in Serie A.
Spare man in midfield sounds like a good idea. Did you enjoy it?

Gullit said:
Every time I played for Chelsea, I thought, 'Nice game, beautiful stadium, great crowd, I'm playing well.' It was the only time I really had fun.
Damn straight. Were other players as enthusiastic?

Gavin Peacock said:
Ruud created a world interest in Chelsea. It was an absolute master stroke bringing him in. I think I worked out that six or seven of of my last goals, five of them were assisted by Ruud. He could just explode when on the ball and you knew when Ruud went with the ball you could take a chance from midfield, because you knew he’d keep it. You weren’t thinking he might lose it. He would always do the right thing. It was a delight to play with him on the field
I remember Dennis Wise once saying that many supporters felt his own range of passing had improved during this season. Dennis went on to say that he would always look up for Ruud as he was always available and it wasn’t that his passing had improved, it was more to do with how well Ruud could control the ball.
Making Wisey look a decent player, fair effort big man. How did the fans rate you there?

Chelsea Social said:
However, it was was the dreadlocked one, Ruud Gullit who stole the show. When Dan Petrescu and Terry Phelan arrived in the Autumn, Hoddle then had the squad to play his preferred 3-5-2 formation. Gullit got injured, and in the meantime David Lee stepped into the sweeper role, and performed so well not only was he considered for an England call up, but it also meant Gullit could move into midfield.

He was absolutely phenomenal. His vision, passing range, movement and control of possession was unlike anything the Premier League had seen. 30 yard pin point passes, smart runs out of possession, visionary passing and combined with the physicality required for the Premier League. He was a leader, a winner and had an incredible football brain. He seemed to always see passes ahead of everyone else. It was as if he had an aura around him, an ability to make the game play at his pace, his way.

Against Middlesbrough at home that season he performed an absolute masterclass which led us to a 5-0 win, with some phenomenal football on display. It could easily have been 6-7 without dropping a sweat.

Without doubt Ruud Gullit is the best player of his type I’ve ever seen in a Chelsea shirt, and for me, he still walks into any Chelsea team to this day. He was truly world class for Chelsea. His aura and image raised Chelsea to another level, and it was no shock he became a real cult hero. He was deservedly runner up in the Footballer of the Year awards, pipped only by the phenomenal comeback of double winning Eric Cantona. But for me, Gullit stood out that year.

English football had never seen a player of that quality, playing his particular way and controlling games in the way he did. It was something we’d only glimpsed in European football before. Gullit opened up English football to a different way of playing the game. At that point a lot of English football was very 4-4-2, counter-attacking or long ball – but he gave a glimpse of another way of playing the game

Enigma_87

You know who
Read the OP - you've prepared for a different game. After all we have twice as many Klopp players as we do Pep ones.
I did read the OP and it's on the base of City blueprint, at least what it says :) Yes you have Klopp players, but those Klopp players have similar traits to what Pep would want from his team bar TAA. Your midfield base also looks a lot more City's than Pool with two advanced playmakers and a designated DM.

as for Modric:
Modric having excelled in a similar system in Madrid
this is PL based draft though so his Madrid form isn't really related here. He developed his game a lot at Real but his early version his best came under a more advanced position. When he had more defensive responsibilities he started slow:
Redknapp's predecessor, Juande Ramos, generally played him as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2 formation alongside the attack-minded Jermaine Jenas, rather than as a No10, the role in which he had shone for Croatia in Euro 2008 qualification.
Redknapp was somewhat derogatory about how Ramos used Modric and when he took over he stressed the importance of getting the 25-year-old on the ball. "He can make things happen – then he has got that ability to open the door," the manager said at the time.
He played him higher up the pitch, usually with a roaming brief from the left and, with some sweet nothings to bolster Modric's belief, saw him blossom.

In anticipation of this game, our midfield has been rejigged with two of the three City players swapped out. It is much more in the mould of a Klopp midfield, with both Modric and Gullit offering greater defensive protection than Bernardo and Rodri. Modric offers more balance and defensive awareness, taking up the right positions to take the ball and win it back. Gullit obviously is a massive unit, and even in his early 30s a total athlete who physically dominated the league. Together they shore up the midfield while still being able to command the ball and feed the forwards.
I don't consider Gullit to be really high value pick to be honest. He had one season at the very top - 95/96, where he played in variety of positions. Also sweeper isn't exactly a libero or a DM in a Pep/Klopp based system. Both systems needs a lot of tuning and synchronization, especially for Klopp to reach the heights he did with Pool. Every player has a very specific and particular role. Gullit body of work in PL was really down to one single season, whilst the next two he played barely double digits number of games.

In that 95/96 season he clocked 2700 minutes and again here he's not facing some right bums that he can dominate but a peak pairing of Vieira and Keane, aided by Becks and an energetic Son on the side. He will definitely have his hands full.

Back on Modric. The ability to cover for his full back is key with TAA known weakness in defence. You did bring the same argument on Petrescu, but Petrescu has Becks in front of him not a wide forward and a great base in the middle of the park, whilst we also play a counter attacking set up - not leaving much space behind when we're off the ball.

Enigma_87

You know who
RUUD GULLIT

This is a bit misleading because Gullit didn't play as a DM/CM the entire season. He played as a forward, left winger, right winger, CB.. His role in this particular game requires to be a lot more rigid considering what is the opposition. Going on surging runs in a free libero role means leaving huge space behind for Kun, Bergkamp and Son to operate into.

The natural libero role means those vertical runs can be punished if the ball is lost high up the pitch. Put a high line and an opposition having the pace an acceleration of Kun and Son and IMO it plays to our hands.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ok so couple of stats for our new addition to add to the OP:

Sergio Agüero's record against the Premier League's elite over the years

Kun Agüero has directly contributed to 67 goals in 75 matches against the top six sides in England during his time at Manchester City, underlining his big-game-player status and ability to score crucial goals at the right times.
Agüero’s consistency throughout his Manchester City career is exemplary, having scored 20+ goals in each of the last five Premier League seasons, despite numerous injury problems. That consistency is extended to meetings with top sides, proving that he is the man for the big occasion.

Kun has the best minutes per goal ratio is by far the best in PL history:

To underline his clinical nature:

For those of a statistical persuasion, it’s a testament to his sheer lethality that Agüero has consistently outperformed his expected goals (xG) tally in all but one of those five campaigns, with the only time he failed to match expectations occurring in Guardiola’s maiden season in charge – a campaign hindered by the added complication whereby Agüero was tasked with overhauling his game to fit his new manager’s ethos.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
as for Modric:

this is PL based draft though so his Madrid form isn't really related here. He developed his game a lot at Real but his early version his best came under a more advanced position. When he had more defensive responsibilities he started slow:
Nah, that's a question of tactics. If you're wedded to 4-4-2 then I could see the thinking behind sticking Modric wide. If you want to play to his strengths, then you get him central and give him other players to combine with. It's only really rigid managers who didn't get the best out of him straight away. See this post from a previous game:

The first time I saw Modric play, he was absolutely mesmeric for Croatia while still at Zagreb. Though he took time to adjust to new environments when moving clubs, I don't really believe that he greatly improved over the course of his career - the biggest thing to change for him over the years was the platform he had to perform.

To add to what's been said, Modric was predominantly played out of position in his first season, off the striker or out on the left. He had a bad injury near the beginning of 09/10 which wrote off half his season - probably impacted on his ranking or lack of ranking among midfielders that season. And he won Spurs' Player of the Year in 10/11 despite his teammate winning the PFA award.
Showed he maintained his level throughout his career. And he has a great platform to perform here.

Enigma_87

You know who
Nah, that's a question of tactics. If you're wedded to 4-4-2 then I could see the thinking behind sticking Modric wide. If you want to play to his strengths, then you get him central and give him other players to combine with. It's only really rigid managers who didn't get the best out of him straight away. See this post from a previous game:

Showed he maintained his level throughout his career. And he has a great platform to perform here.
Nah I totally buy Modric in a City type of setup, be it the Spurs one or the Madrid one. He would slot in nicely although here is definitely use him on the left and De Bruyne on the right as this is the more natural for De Bruyne as well and a position that Modric occupied for Spurs(LAM).

where we disagree is probably the Liverpool reference as their midfield trio consists of three hardworking CMs that support the front three and cover for their full backs, which also works better for TAA.
I get that you want the best from both worlds but TAA in above lineup and the Spurs Modric doesn’t get that protection that he has whilst playing in Klopp’s system.

De Bruyne and Modric is spot on as AM in Pep’s system but that midfield screams for Fernandinho at the base and where it breaks for me. I mean sure Gullit might do a job as makeshift DM in the first round of PL draft given his versatility, but occupying a key role in PL draft final where he needs to have a very rigid role is a bit too much.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Interestingly the only player on the park who is operating on a position that doesn't play to the strengths of their Premier League career is Dan Petrescu. His first season at Chelsea, he mostly played right-back, but was sometimes on the bench and occasionally dropped when they wanted someone more defensively solid.

It was in midfield where he actually settled for Chelsea and where he became a regular every week.

Chelsea official site said:
He was reinvented as a right-sided midfielder and if anything, his performances improved.
Glenn Hoddle signed him as a right wing-back but Gullit has unburdened him of defensive duties. "I know what his qualities are," the Chelsea manager said. "When he was a wing-back he was always best coming up on the overlap.

"Now he has somebody behind him who does all the hard work. He can give more attention to the attacking part, which I think is his strongest point.
So not only was there concern with him at RB, there was still some concern with him at RWB, so eventually he had to play RM. And that was fine for Chelsea as he could play to his strengths and minimise his weaknesses. Meanwhile, here he is at RB up against the best player on the park in Cristiano Ronaldo, which is certainly not playing to his strengths.

Although even once fully established in the team, he was still sometimes sacrificed for someone more defensively solid, such as in the FA Cup Semi-Final:

The Dons were also Chelsea's opponents in that year's FA Cup semi-final but Petrescu was surprisingly omitted as Gullit opted to field an extra centre-half to combat Wimbledon's aerial threat. The manager's tactics paid off handsomely and The Blues reached the Final courtesy of a 3-0 win. Dan was recalled to the team a week later and remained an ever-present for the rest of the season, playing on the right of midfield at Wembley as Chelsea won their first major trophy for 26 years with a 2-0 triumph over Middlesbrough.
Now if Petrescu is a liability against the aerial threat of Efan Ekoku and Oyvind Leonhardsen, just imagine what Cristiano Ronaldo will do hanging up at the back post for a swinging cross from Trent or De Bruyne.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Nah I totally buy Modric in a City type of setup, be it the Spurs one or the Madrid one. He would slot in nicely although here is definitely use him on the left and De Bruyne on the right as this is the more natural for De Bruyne as well and a position that Modric occupied for Spurs(LAM).

where we disagree is probably the Liverpool reference as their midfield trio consists of three hardworking CMs that support the front three and cover for their full backs, which also works better for TAA.
I get that you want the best from both worlds but TAA in above lineup and the Spurs Modric doesn’t get that protection that he has whilst playing in Klopp’s system.

De Bruyne and Modric is spot on as AM in Pep’s system but that midfield screams for Fernandinho at the base and where it breaks for me. I mean sure Gullit might do a job as makeshift DM in the first round of PL draft given his versatility, but occupying a key role in PL draft final where he needs to have a very rigid role is a bit too much.
'Makeshift'. It's Gullit who came in and completely bossed it from the get-go, reaching heights that many other players were just nowhere near capable of reaching. He started at sweeper, then played as the spare man in Chelsea's midfield in a 3-5-2. Occasional appearances elsewhere because he was so versatile, but it was in the heart of midfield where he played just about all of his football - taking the ball of the defence, holding off the press with his immense strength, pinging it 30-40 yards into the wide players. That was the bulk of his game and the testimony of his team-mates, the fans and the journalists who watched him every week is very persuasive.

Enigma_87

You know who
'Makeshift'. It's Gullit who came in and completely bossed it from the get-go, reaching heights that many other players were just nowhere near capable of reaching. He started at sweeper, then played as the spare man in Chelsea's midfield in a 3-5-2. Occasional appearances elsewhere because he was so versatile, but it was in the heart of midfield where he played just about all of his football - taking the ball of the defence, holding off the press with his immense strength, pinging it 30-40 yards into the wide players. That was the bulk of his game and the testimony of his team-mates, the fans and the journalists who watched him every week is very persuasive.
He played total of 40 games in all competitions. played probably a third of those as a forward. As you said he started as CB/ Sweeper and then also was used in CM. No one questions his passing ability here, but the role you are playing him isn’t a libero one or if it is again is not very optimal against the opposition as you would require a very rigid DM role to keep the shape of midfield and break attacks.

How many games he actually did play as DM for Chelsea in the time period?

Enigma_87

You know who
Interestingly the only player on the park who is operating on a position that doesn't play to the strengths of their Premier League career is Dan Petrescu. His first season at Chelsea, he mostly played right-back, but was sometimes on the bench and occasionally dropped when they wanted someone more defensively solid.

It was in midfield where he actually settled for Chelsea and where he became a regular every week.

So not only was there concern with him at RB, there was still some concern with him at RWB, so eventually he had to play RM. And that was fine for Chelsea as he could play to his strengths and minimise his weaknesses. Meanwhile, here he is at RB up against the best player on the park in Cristiano Ronaldo, which is certainly not playing to his strengths.

Although even once fully established in the team, he was still sometimes sacrificed for someone more defensively solid, such as in the FA Cup Semi-Final:

Now if Petrescu is a liability against the aerial threat of Efan Ekoku and Oyvind Leonhardsen, just imagine what Cristiano Ronaldo will do hanging up at the back post for a swinging cross from Trent or De Bruyne.

Petrescu isn’t alone against Cristiano. We will play compact at the back and defend in 2 blocks of 4 similarly like the previous game. Becks is a vital figure as well in front of him as he has the stamina and work rate to help out wide.

In terms of aerial threat - if Cristiano attacks the box I think we have probably would finest CB’s in the pool when it comes to aerial ability - Stam and Desailly.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Petrescu isn’t alone against Cristiano. We will play compact at the back and defend in 2 blocks of 4 similarly like the previous game. Becks is a vital figure as well in front of him as he has the stamina and work rate to help out wide.

In terms of aerial threat - if Cristiano attacks the box I think we have probably would finest CB’s in the pool when it comes to aerial ability - Stam and Desailly.
Chelsea would’ve thought the same with Terry and Carvalho at centre-half. Means little when Ronaldo can lean onto Petrescu whenever he wants. Especially with your CBs fully occupied with Cantona, Salah and a surging De Bruyne bursting through.

Enigma_87

You know who
Chelsea would’ve thought the same with Terry and Carvalho at centre-half. Means little when Ronaldo can lean onto Petrescu whenever he wants. Especially with your CBs fully occupied with Cantona, Salah and a surging De Bruyne bursting through.
That's quite revisionism on your part mate. Here's some of your views in another draft game where Bepo featured the same flank:
Think the Petrescu/Beckham flank is really strong in this pool, while you'd hope Savicevic gets the freedom to break free from the shackles of a (Capello) 4-4-2.
you also had Petrescu as the best RB in PL at their absolute best:
Schmeichel 95/96
Petrescu 97/98 Ferdinand 07/08 Terry 04/05 Cole 04/05
Keane 99/00 Vieira 00/01
Gerrard 05/06
Ronaldo 07/08 Suarez 13/14 Henry 02/03
and in another post from the best United/Arsenal less team:
Cech
Petrescu McGrath Terry Cole
Makelele
Gerrard Silva
Bale Shearer Suarez

Fairly straightforward IMO. Bit of debate at centre-half but McGrath was brilliant for Villa. Right back is obvious for me in providing excellent width and shining with two non-Arse/Utd sides. Obviously Lampard could be there and probably should in light of overall contribution. But in the interests of cohesion Silva blends the team together cleaner than another Gerrard/Lampard conundrum. The front three picks itself.
Some of your additional comments on him from previous drafts:

As for Petrescu he is as good a man as any to dominate a flank. He played much of his Chelsea time as a wing-back in a 3-5-2 (after firstly being part of a 4-3-3). To be honest he's probably the best wing-back in the pool. After all, how many conventional right-backs would pop in the inside-left channel to grab a last-minute winner in a crucial World Cup match? His stats at Chelsea were exceptional really - 33 assists.
We have a genuine overlapping wing-back threat in Dan Petrescu. That's exacerbated by choosing a left midfielder massively ill-suited to the off-the-ball job of having to chase him up and down the flank. Your talk of cost/benefit is not how 99% of elite teams play these days. Everyone gets their full-backs forward when in control of possession. Hell even Ferguson was sending Gary Neville upfield against Milan and leaving no less than Ronaldinho behind. And it worked as United scored from a Neville cross. It happens all the time with all teams and it should be concerning for the voters that you're flying in the face of the current wisdom.
We have a genuine overlapping wing-back threat in Dan Petrescu. He is very likely to outstretch David Silva down that flank and create two-on-one situations. And his final ball into the box is excellent. He made countless assists during his time in the Premiership.
On the right of the back four is Dan Petrescu who was part of the Overseas Premiership Team of the Decade and remains the standout overlapping right-back. Proven at every stage, from his early career reaching European Cup Finals with Steau Bucharest, to the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cups, to his time in England (1.5 seasons at Sheffield Wednesday and a further 5 at Chelsea).
I think all these testimony how rated Petrescu was by you which is awfully odd to dump on him all of a sudden.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Notice the theme running through every comment - strong going forward, top overlapper, etc. And that is a point that I’ve repeated already in this thread - Chelsea played to his strengths with attacking duties by moving him out of defence and into midfield.

And as much as I rate him going forwards, he certainly wouldn’t be top of my list for defending against a Ballon d’Or winner. There are several others in the pool who would be better suited to that unenviable task.

Enigma_87

You know who
Notice the theme running through every comment - strong going forward, top overlapper, etc. And that is a point that I’ve repeated already in this thread - Chelsea played to his strengths with attacking duties by moving him out of defence and into midfield.

And as much as I rate him going forwards, he certainly wouldn’t be top of my list for defending against a Ballon d’Or winner. There are several others in the pool who would be better suited to that unenviable task.
not really.

As for Petrescu he is as good a man as any to dominate a flank. He played much of his Chelsea time as a wing-back in a 3-5-2 (after firstly being part of a 4-3-3).
On the right of the back four is Dan Petrescu who was part of the Overseas Premiership Team of the Decade and remains the standout overlapping right-back. Proven at every stage, from his early career reaching European Cup Finals with Steau Bucharest, to the 1990, 1994 and 1998 World Cups, to his time in England (1.5 seasons at Sheffield Wednesday and a further 5 at Chelsea).
Those two quotes speak for themselves. Dominating the flank doesn’t mean just doing it in attacking phase. Also I definitely agree with you that he has proven himself at any level for both club and country.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In Modric's best season for Spurs in 2010/11 when he was the club player of the year and Fergie's Player of the Season he played in the central midfield of a 4-2-3-1. The midfield unit was typically Bale and Lennon on the two wings, Van der Vaart in the 10 role, with Modric plus one of Huddlestone/Sandro/Palacios in the two deepest CM roles. For example, the last time Spurs won at Anfield back in 2011, they played that shape with Sandro and Modric as the midfield base.

He spent most of that season with Van der Vaart ahead of him, whose defensive contribution was questionable to say the least. So he had to do a lot of running in there and assume plenty of defensive responsibility, which we know has never been a problem for him.

Or here for example alongside Scott Parker in the centre of midfield against Pool again:

Or here up against the greatest international possession team of all time, he still stood out - where in the first half he played as the most advanced midfielder, while in the second half "Bilić withdrew Srna to his usual position, moved Modrić to the base of a midfield triangle and finished with a trio of front-runners."

Doesn't really matter - left or right, in any of the three roles in a midfield trio, with lots of the ball or not much of it - he shone brightly.

Enigma_87

You know who
The biggest elephant in the room is Gullit playing in a pivotal role, especially against Bergkamp who deserves some credit here in a PL draft where he weaved his magic:

In 95/96 Gullit's sole season at Chelsea, he played a very free role when he started as a CB initially and then moved up forward.

In a Pep/Klopp team playing as a pivot he would require to play again a very strict role that would mean basically doing a lot of sweeping behind Modric and KdB, a role he didn't really play for Chelsea at the time and that time even was really scarce compared to the rest of the players on show in this game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The biggest elephant in the room is Gullit playing in a pivotal role, especially against Bergkamp who deserves some credit here in a PL draft where he weaved his magic
Bergkamp’s Arsenal had a great record against Chelsea in the Premier League going unbeaten in 15 out of 16 games from 95 to 04. Funnily enough the only time Chelsea beat Arsenal in the Premier League during those years was in the only game that Gullit played, a 1-0 win in 1995. Bergkamp was shut out of the game as a Gullit led back 3 denied him space to influence the game. And that doesn’t surprise me because Gullit’s strength and tactical nous would make him an impossible opponent.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Perhaps worth remembering just how devastating Cristiano was when he hit that sweet spot in the second half of the 2000s merging the skills of his winger days with the goals (42 in 07/08) as he carved out the wide forward role that would become de rigeur in the years since.

Enigma_87

You know who
Not much has been said for the two greatest midfield generals in the PL era on the park:

The two of them can change the dynamics of the game at any given moment.

Some quotes on them:

Roy Keane – “I don’t think we’ll ever be bosom buddies buying each other a drink in the pub, but out of everybody I ever faced as a player, he drove me to become better.”

Thierry Henry – “Not a lot of players in the history of the game compare to Patrick.”

Martin Keown – “You look at Dennis Bergkamp and you look at Thierry Henry and people say they are great players and rightly so. There are statues of these guys outside the Emirates Stadium, but without Patrick winning the ball and giving it to them they would almost be redundant.

Marcel Desailly – “Two players in one. He has tremendous physique, but also sophisticated technique. And, what is very important for a modern midfielder, he has the goleador [‘goalscorer’] instinct.”

Zlatan Ibrahimovic – “We both had that winners’ mindset… If anyone knew that, it was Patrick Vieira. He’s the type who gives one hundred percent in every situation, and I saw how he boosted the entire team. There aren’t many football players I have that kind of respect for.”

Roberto Mancini – “A player like Patrick isn’t born every year.”

Jamie Carragher – “A monster, his partnership with Emmanuel Petit was as good as anything we have seen. His performance against Liverpool in the 2001 FA Cup final stands out. He was magnificent and didn’t deserve to be on the losing side. In the dressing room afterwards, everyone kept saying: ‘how good was Vieira?’ Steven Gerrard still talks about that game as Vieira made him realise he had to climb a few more levels to reach the top.”

Peter Schmeichel – “I used to look forward to playing him because he made every one of us raise our game. Arsenal had a great side, but I firmly believe without him they would’ve been 25 per cent weaker.”

Paul Merson – “There wasn’t anything he couldn’t do, and he was hard as nails as well.”

Sol Campbell – “He’s a winner. He just oozes that. Everything used to hurt him, but he got through it to get out on the pitch. He would play through anything and it was a real pleasure to play alongside him.”

Mikael Silvestre – “When you have a back four protected by a Vieira, there is little the opposition can do. Patrick brought a dimension and presence. He was a warrior, a box-to-box player.”

Ian Wright – “A leader and natural-born winner. He has everything you could want from a midfielder. He can attack, defend and score goals. He’s brilliant at taking the ball in tight spots in the middle of the park and starting attacks.”

Frank Lampard – “I was young when I played Patrick (and Roy Keane), and they bossed me. I remember I was a young boy, Patrick kept knocking it over my head, he had those really long legs, and I really admired them coming through.”

Tony Adams – “Not only is Patrick a big, strong player, he’s very intelligent and a great reader of the game. An amazing athlete with enormous energy – he covers huge distances over 90 minutes.”

Nigel Winterburn – “He was a fantastic player for Arsenal. If he was playing at that level you’ve got a player who is very, very competitive but is also very skillful and has ability on the ball. That’s what a lot of people didn’t realise about Patrick. He could break up opposition attacks but he was also powerful and skilful enough to then set his own team on a counter-attack.”

David Seaman – “He was like our anchorman. We would say to him ‘Patrick, just sit in front of the back four for two or three minutes, while the opponents add pressure’, and he’d do it and get on with it. Then all of a sudden he’d have this burst of energy, and could score great goals, and became a great Arsenal captain. He did it over a long time, became captain, took over from Tony (Adams), and took it onto another level.”

Phil Thompson – “Vieira was athletic; he dominated that area and then brought goals into his game.”

Cesc Fabregas – “I don’t think a lot of players have done what he has done for this Club. He has been a big inspiration for me.”

Arsene Wenger – “Patrick was a great player for us, one of the greatest in the club’s history and I feel I had a special relationship with him because I made him come here. I think his impact, not only at Arsenal but in English football overall, was just tremendous.”

David Dein – “I talked to Patrick in fluent French and before a game I asked in French, ‘could you speak a little bit of English to me?’. He nodded and said ‘Tottenham are s**t’.”

Laurent Blanc:

“I only played with him for two seasons at the end of my career, and he had some injuries, but I saw more than enough to appreciate his brilliance. He is one of the best players I have ever seen. Not only that, but he could motivate players too. He was the boss too. He is also a good man.”

Eric Cantona:

“He was the best in midfield; he could play everywhere. He could play the holding role and be defensive, but then he could suddenly burst forward and score goals. He was so intelligent in how he played the game and let me tell you, it felt good to have him behind me for four seasons. He’d win the ball and then give it to me. And what a character!”

Brian Clough:

“I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn’t have hit him very hard.”

Dion Dublin:

“He doesn’t know this, but everybody (in the Manchester United squad when Keane joined) was buzzing to have him there. We knew that he was a special player, we knew that he loved to have a bit of a moan, but we knew that he could produce the goods week in, week out, and we knew he was a winner.”

Rio Ferdinand:

“I remember my first training session: I got the ball from the keeper, I passed it to Gary Neville at right-back and Keane just exploded, saying: ‘You passed it sideways, that’s the easy pass! You’re not at Leeds or West Ham now!’ At the time I thought: ‘What’s he talking about?’ Then when I got home, I sat and thought about it and thought: ‘Yeah, you’ve got to try and affect the game.'”

Alex Ferguson:

“It (Keane’s display in the 1999 Champions League semi-final against Juventus) was the most emphatic display of selflessness I have seen on a football field. Pounding over every blade of grass, competing as if he would rather die of exhaustion than lose, he inspired all around him. I felt it was an honour to be associated with such a player.”

Darren Fletcher:

“He was a great influence, really. If Roy had a go at you, he did it because he cared. He was the best captain you could wish for. He would tear you to shreds on the pitch if you gave away the ball, ‘Get your effing touch right, effing this, effing that,’ but as soon as you got into the dressing room, it was over. He was a winner. I’ve met dedicated professionals, but he had something else.”

Ryan Giggs:

“You never felt you were beaten when Keaney was in your team. He never threw in the towel. I don’t think any of the rest of us were less determined to win than Keaney, but what makes him different is the way he gets it across, his anger if you like. More than any other player I’ve seen, he affects players around him.”

Paul Ince:

“For a complete player, without a doubt Keano. Apart from the bad side he had, he was the complete midfield player for me. He was an inspiration, a leader, could score you vital goals, he could tackle when he had to, he would be naughty when he had to but playing alongside him for three or four seasons helped him improve my game a lot.”

Mick McCarthy (Following their Saipan clash):

“As he waded in with one expletive after another I asked myself, ‘Was this my captain? Was this the man who could serve Ireland as a role model for our children?’ The answer was no.”

Paul Scholes:

“Roy was unbelievable to play alongside and someone you could always trust. I soon learned that if you weren’t on your game he would be on top of you to make sure you were playing your part for the team. I had a few bollockings from him, but that made you work harder to avoid them. He was a great leader and captain: he drove us on and he was our manager on the pitch.”

Peter Schmeichel:

“Box to box, probably the best midfield player in terms of being an engine for the team that I’ve played with. He never really had bad games, (and) was a good leader in midfield.”

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer:

“If I could pick one player in my team, I would always pick Roy Keane, in front of any other players I’ve played with. Keano had everything; he was a leader, a great player, and probably the best I ever played with.”

Jaap Stam:

“Every team needs a player like Keane, someone who can control the game and dominate the tempo. Tactically and positionally he always got it right and is very good in one-on-one duels.”

Patrick Vieira:

“What I like about him is the fact that he wouldn’t talk; he’d take the kick, he wouldn’t say anything, then, on the next one, he’d give it to you and he would expect, of course, that you say nothing. He’s not the kind of player who talks a lot. So he’ll take the kick, he will give back, but I like him – he’s quite fair.”

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Barely any chinks in either side as would be expected by this stage in a post-1992 Premier League draft. When you compare the Premier League pool, even on an all-time basis, with other leagues, the one position on the park which is comparatively a bit weaker than other leagues is at full-back. That's why I believe the combination of Cristiano Ronaldo and Mo Salah on the wings could be decisive. Both boast a quality gap - one Ballon d'Or winner and another in Ballon d'Or winning form - over their respective opponents in Petrescu and Robertson. I don't think either full-back are going to be particularly suited to contain-and-counter tactics as both are more expansive and attack-minded players.

The beauty with Salah is he is outstanding at surging through on goal. But equally he has scored numerous goals with a full defence in front of him, either by bending or blasting one in the far corner from the edge of the box, or by slaloming through a packed defence. His extreme strength allows him to fend off players, while his close control allows him to weave towards goal. In Premier League history, I'm struggling to think of anyone outside of Henry and Ronaldo who could also score heavily and notch great goals out of nothing.

And when you've got some of the best passers the league has seen, guys who routinely carve open 'two banks of four', he's bound to get chances.

Enigma_87

You know who
In terms of TAA, I think I'd also share some insight from @Gio from past drafts and games which of course I agree with :)

We all know how dominant Pool are and what TAA brings to the attack,but in the same time we all know his deficiencies and how sometimes they are decisive when it comes to defending.

Couple of quotes from December:

Lets go! Trent's side getting exposed again.
They will never challenge City over a season with this Trent in the side. Too exposed down one side
This one is from Gio too:
Poor tracking from Trent and poor cover from the Liverpool midfield in the first place failing to protect the space.
Well worked goal.
This.
And of all the players involved he’s the least at fault for the goal. Firstly Henderson doesn’t track his runner, then Trent lets his runner jog off him, then Matip lets the striker cut inside and get a clear shot away. At least Van Dijk closes the most dangerous half of the goal but by that point the errors had accumulated and the damage was just about all done.
It also underlines how important is Pool midfield and Hendo role and what I've also touched in the beginning of the discussion.

another view on favorable setup to accommodate TAA:

Getting the best out of Trent needs a pacy RCB (like Gomez) and ideally an athletic holding midfielder on the right. Especially with Nedved buzzing around. And then Koeman and Trent can provide dangerous long balls from both sides of the pitch.
quote on Arce:
Trent + defending. That's a bit reductive, but the easiest way to sum it up.
The way a counter attacking setup troubles City blueprint tactics (and in the same way trouble Pool incarnation too without someone to protect the space TAA leaves behind) was explained couple of years ago when Pep was up against his bogey team in Spurs and he had issues with injuries at full back position:

Full-back problem
The challenge, of course, is to do something with that possession once they do have the ball. That means exploiting what few weaknesses City do have. Defensively, the obvious target for Tottenham will be the full-back areas because these appear to be an area of relative concern for Guardiola right now due to various injury issues.

Fabian Delph and Oleksandr Zinchenko have been unavailable recently due to injury and while Benjamin Mendy did return to the starting line-up against Brighton on Saturday, Kyle Walker had to be withdrawn at half-time as a precaution because of a hamstring problem.

Heung-Min Son could be the man to exploit any uncertainty in those wide areas by running in behind the back line. The forward has been among the substitutes for both of Tottenham's home defeats to City in the past two seasons but was in the line-up for the 2-0 win in 2016/17 and came off the bench to equalise in the draw at the Etihad Stadium that year too.

Son's pace could be a big factor and finding him will be the key. Harry Kane is now bringing his team-mates into the game better than ever before and is capable of coming up with that incisive pass when dropping deeper. Christian Eriksen could be crucial too if given time on the ball.
It's not only Son of course but our team has the capacity/pace/trickery to use the space left behind and punish the opposition.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
They will never challenge City over a season with this Trent in the side
This one is nonsense. Trent has been a key part of a Liverpool side that have challenged City for years now - they're currently both locked at the top of the table, and accumulated 196 points in 2 seasons, winning a CL title in the middle of it. All while Trent was central to how the team played.

I notice you've left out the quotes where I say he is on his way to being fully established as the best right-back the Premier League and Liverpool has seen. Some of which were made a year or two back and which are becoming increasingly true now.

Indeed I'm not sure that me identifying Henderson at fault justifies the need for Henderson to be playing here. We've got Modric and Gulilt holding midfield - it isn't going to be improved by having Hendo run about. I mean we saw that in the 2018 World Cup Semi-Final. Midfield control in the modern game is also about what you do on the ball as well as off it.

But anyway I'd happily analyse any goal. Do you want me to give my verdict on Desailly's defending against Henry here for example?

Or Petrescu against Giggs here?

Enigma_87

You know who
This one is nonsense. Trent has been a key part of a Liverpool side that have challenged City for years now - they're currently both locked at the top of the table, and accumulated 196 points in 2 seasons, winning a CL title in the middle of it. All while Trent was central to how the team played.
I've just copied and pasted some of the more recent quotes, obviously some are in the haste or polar in opinion.

My point is that Hendo's role is key to how TAA operates and to cover for him defensively.

How many games did Gullit play in that holding position you are playing him in PL?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Statistically Trent's defending has clearly improved over the years:

Yes he's developed a reputation that is hard to shake, but he's improved a lot and is actually outperforming his apparently 'more solid' England peers.

Klopp is obviously not an idiot:
Jurgen Klopp said:
Why would you make the best right-back in the world a midfielder? I don't understand that really.

It is a little bit a shame that we talk in 2021 like this about football. Players play everywhere, especially good players.

Trent on the right wing was already everywhere on the pitch. Some people think that because he plays 10 yards further up the pitch he would be more influential.

Being more influential than Trent Alexander-Arnold in the last, I don't know, how many years he has played for me, is really tricky.

It would mean I would have to have a proper look to find somebody.

He plays the right position, we adapt and try and use his skills absolutely, but in the end the right-back is the one who defends the right side and he is doing that really well.
And we can leave the last word to the uncompromising Roy Keane:

Roy Keane said:
I think he can play at wing-back. Obviously his strength is at right-back and he is brilliant at it, absolutely brilliant at right-back.
Ultimately at the end of the day he's up against Son, who has an underwhelming record in 8 games against him.

And to be fair to Trent, he's pulled out some great performances over the years against better players than Son - such as Neymar for example:

The whole point about modern full-backs is they are massively in credit for creating far more goals than they are responsible for. Liverpool simply would not be as successful without him servicing their front 3 so compellingly all the time.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
This is tight but going for Engima. His setup is tactically better where everyone fits and works. I don't have an issue with Gullit at DM, he would do a fine job as would Modric. The main issue is I think that front three needs a more selfless runner, especially off the ball, on one of the wings so that Cantona can drop deep and play him in. For this reason I don't see Cantona meshing that well with the Salah and Ronaldo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Speaking of world-class full-backs, here are some examples of Denis Irwin motoring forward. He struck up a great relationship with Cantona which was mutually beneficially as they often assisted each other. But he dovetails nicely with Cristiano ahead of him, offering selfless wing-play - @Physiocrat ;) - to give him a perfect platform to shine. That's another way we can overload the left flank and force Petrescu into a defensive game against Ronaldo.

Earvin Johnson

Supports
Fc Barcelona
The debate has centered a bit too much on the potential matchup that the fullbacks will have to face especially in counter attacks and while it is relevant it is far from being the central aspect of the game.

I would like to focus on who will dominate the ball, and if the team who will keep it will be able to create chances and convert them.

Considering how the teams are set up, it looks like Gio's will have possession more often than not, considering that they have a midfield of three + Cantona dropping deep. And as good as Keane and Vieira are, they cannot handle such numerical superiority. If Beckam tucks in to compensate, then the Fullback has to push up to create a presence on the right side, which leaves up space behind, so i dont think it's really an option, but even if it could work, it won't be enough to dominate Gio's diamond.

Now that we have established that Gio will have possession, will he able to be threatening with the ball?

Well, IMO he absolutely would. Trent and KDB are wonderful playmakers and ball progressers, their through balls to Salah and Ronaldo (The two best inside forward of the PL era) are going to create a lot of danger for sure. The TB can also be provided by Modric and Cantona so danger can really come from anywhere.
KDB and TAA are also elite crossers which is perfect for Ronaldo who is the greatest aerial threat in recent memory.
Salah and CR7 are also X factors and elite poachers which imply that they can make gold out lead. Situations which wouldn't be considered dangerous could quickly turn into goal scoring opportunity thanks to their positionning and dribbling.

So all in all when Gio will have the ball, i am confident he will have no troubles creating chances and scoring goals. However, would his team be vulnerable on the break?

On the caf there seems to be this belief that a high line automatically imply that you will be vulnerable to counter attacks. Though i suggest that this belief is not supported empirically. Barcelona maintained for years the best defense in Europe with a right defensive side consisting of Alves (not the best defensively and used to push very high up the pitch), Busquets (extremely slow player), and Puyol (Not the quickest out there). This was possible thanks to a high intense press which doesn't leave much room to the opposition to exploit the space behind them.

It's true that TAA has a bad reputation when it comes to defense, but it's not too different from Alves, and that's not considering his recent improvement of this part of his game in the recent years.

Thus the belief that Gio's team would crumble under counter attacks is for me is unfounded.

And even if the opposition was able to go past the press, they have perhaps the GOAT defender of space. If we go by top speed recorded during games, Pre injury Van Dijk is faster than both Ronaldo and Salah, and certainly faster than Enigma's attacking line. So that is the best kind of Damage control Gio could ever hope for.

All in all, due to Gio's dominance of the ball and the creativity of his team, i see him banging in a few goals during the game. On the other hand, Enigma will not have the ball as often which imply less goal scoring opportunities. And the potential counter attacks that could emerge after breaking down the high press can be covered down by VVD which could buy enough time for the team to recover.

Therefore, my vote goes to Gio as he is likely to win this matchup more often than not.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
I voted for Gio but I’m not convinced there is enough ball for his front 3. Needs a Bobby Firmino in the middle more than a Cantona.
On the flip side our team is with clearly designated roles which suit each of the players to a tee. Gio's team has a lot of shine up top but you are right that players like selfless Firmino create the glue that make it work. All three of Cantona, Cristiano and Salah were the focal points of the attack of their respective teams.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
If Beckam tucks in to compensate, then the Fullback has to push up to create a presence on the right side, which leaves up space behind, so i dont think it's really an option, but even if it could work, it won't be enough to dominate Gio's diamond.
I think you are entirely ignoring Bergkamp's off defensive role. It's not like he's just stood up front with Aguero when Gio has the ball.

Enigma_87

You know who
The debate has centered a bit too much on the potential matchup that the fullbacks will have to face especially in counter attacks and while it is relevant it is far from being the central aspect of the game.

I would like to focus on who will dominate the ball, and if the team who will keep it will be able to create chances and convert them.

Considering how the teams are set up, it looks like Gio's will have possession more often than not, considering that they have a midfield of three + Cantona dropping deep. And as good as Keane and Vieira are, they cannot handle such numerical superiority. If Beckam tucks in to compensate, then the Fullback has to push up to create a presence on the right side, which leaves up space behind, so i dont think it's really an option, but even if it could work, it won't be enough to dominate Gio's diamond.

Now that we have established that Gio will have possession, will he able to be threatening with the ball?

Well, IMO he absolutely would. Trent and KDB are wonderful playmakers and ball progressers, their through balls to Salah and Ronaldo (The two best inside forward of the PL era) are going to create a lot of danger for sure. The TB can also be provided by Modric and Cantona so danger can really come from anywhere.
KDB and TAA are also elite crossers which is perfect for Ronaldo who is the greatest aerial threat in recent memory.
Salah and CR7 are also X factors and elite poachers which imply that they can make gold out lead. Situations which wouldn't be considered dangerous could quickly turn into goal scoring opportunity thanks to their positionning and dribbling.

So all in all when Gio will have the ball, i am confident he will have no troubles creating chances and scoring goals. However, would his team be vulnerable on the break?

On the caf there seems to be this belief that a high line automatically imply that you will be vulnerable to counter attacks. Though i suggest that this belief is not supported empirically. Barcelona maintained for years the best defense in Europe with a right defensive side consisting of Alves (not the best defensively and used to push very high up the pitch), Busquets (extremely slow player), and Puyol (Not the quickest out there). This was possible thanks to a high intense press which doesn't leave much room to the opposition to exploit the space behind them.

It's true that TAA has a bad reputation when it comes to defense, but it's not too different from Alves, and that's not considering his recent improvement of this part of his game in the recent years.

Thus the belief that Gio's team would crumble under counter attacks is for me is unfounded.

And even if the opposition was able to go past the press, they have perhaps the GOAT defender of space. If we go by top speed recorded during games, Pre injury Van Dijk is faster than both Ronaldo and Salah, and certainly faster than Enigma's attacking line. So that is the best kind of Damage control Gio could ever hope for.

All in all, due to Gio's dominance of the ball and the creativity of his team, i see him banging in a few goals during the game. On the other hand, Enigma will not have the ball as often which imply less goal scoring opportunities. And the potential counter attacks that could emerge after breaking down the high press can be covered down by VVD which could buy enough time for the team to recover.

Therefore, my vote goes to Gio as he is likely to win this matchup more often than not.
Bergkamp also drops when we are off the ball. Also you are overestimating TAA, he is not as good as Dani Alves or ever was. Dani Alves is probably top 10 of all time in his position and even he was sometimes preferred as RM for Brazil with Maicon in his place.

We also have the better keeper in Cech who was phenomenal pre-injury and a pillar in what is probably the best PL defence of all time.

Also Keane/Becks were not dominated by a Juve side consisting of Conte, Zidane, Davids and Deschamps, having Butt instead of Vieira next to them.

Aguero is one of the(if not the) most clinical strikers PL have ever seen, so he doesn't need many chances to convert. On top of that our CB pair is well equipped in dealing with variety of threats both on the deck and in the air.

Ruben Dias is not the fastest CB's around either so you can't really pin it on VVD to be the one man show against such plethora of creativity that we have in our team.