Premier League Festive Season

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
You may not believe this but a football match may be just about to break out here at the Amex...

EDIT: My stream is about 30 seconds behind the rest, it seems. 2-0 Brighton now after a few minutes which indicated some semblance of football was about to commence.

FireballXL5

I'd like to meet the guy who thought 'Yes, now we'll be able to spot offsides at the molecular level'. Ridiculous.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It was offside. Fair call.

Hilarious that these close calls get scrutinised to the nth degree when Liverpool aren’t involved, though. Salah’s goal against City at Anfield looked offside in the first couple of angles broadcast but they never even went to the ‘lines on the pitch’ stage, just awarded the goal no questions asked.

And there’s still people out there who think VAR can’t be manipulated or biased? :lol:

Kag

Criticising VAR for (correctly given) offside decisions is ludicrous.

For the lack of clarity regarding clear and obvious fouling? Gotcha.

For the excessive time it takes to reach a decision? I’m with you.

But for black and white decisions that can (in theory) be solved by using maths? Nah, you sound very tin hat. It’s the tennis equivalent of complaining that Hawkeye assesses your forehand to be less than a millimetre out. That’s the rules.

Crimson King

His shoulder was clearly offside. Correct decision.
One frame the other way and it was onside.

Seems pretty harsh, but with VAR you have to live with those margins. I guess if it means nobody gets away with a goal that's a good yard offside ever again then it's worth it.

Ainu

The offside law needs to be changed, this has nothing to do with fairness anymore. It's like we want to find as many ways as possible to make sure goals aren't scored. It's a ridiculous situation.

Kag

The offside law needs to be changed, this has nothing to do with fairness anymore. It's like we want to find as many ways as possible to make sure goals aren't scored. It's a ridiculous situation.
Changed to what? A six centimetre margin of comfort? What happens when attacker is seven centimetres ahead of play?

It’s a ridiculous argument - if one was to consider arguing for it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The top of his shoulder, which is a scoring body part, was clearly ahead of play.
Nope

Looks like its the top of his arm actually

It might be his shoulder but it's a) not definitive and b) not clear... And to say it is is just being contrary for the sake of it

Ainu

Changed to what? A six centimetre margin of comfort? What happens when attacker is seven centimetres ahead of play?

It’s a ridiculous argument - if one was to consider arguing for it.
I can't stand this whole armpit/shoulder nonsense. I've always thought just look at the shoes and only flag when both attackers feet are fully ahead. At least that's a genuine advantage, and much clearer.

Kag

Nope

Looks like its the top of his arm actually

It might be his shoulder but it's a) not definitive and b) not clear... And to say it is is just being contrary for the sake of it
The second image is conclusive proof. His shoulder is ahead of play.

Kag

I can't stand this whole armpit/shoulder nonsense. I've always thought just look at the shoes and only flag when both attackers feet are fully ahead. At least that's a genuine advantage, and much clearer.
But that has never been the rules. You might like it to be that way, but it’s a big jump from existing (or previous) laws of the game.

Bulldog United

Years ago guidance was issued that officials should give the benefit of doubt to the attacking side in situations like the goal that was just disallowed. It was done to encourage attacking football and increase entertainment. We've now completely lost that.

I think a timer should begin once a review starts. If the VAR official cannot be sure a player is clearly offside within say 30 seconds, he doesn't intervene to overturn the goal. All this drawing of lines, and zooming in and out, and trying to judge if a player's left testicle is 1/12 of an inch offside is insane. Let's go back to given the attacking side the benefit of the doubt in marginal situations.

Ainu

But that has never been the rules. You might like it to be that way, but it’s a big jump from existing (or previous) laws of the game.
I know and it won't happen, but I feel it's much more in the spirit of why offside was originally introduced. Not to punish millimetres but to prevent strikers hanging around close to the goal.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Can’t help admiring Potter. Improved every team he’s coached.

This Brighton team play some good stuff. He’s really shown up Eddie ‘Thunderbirds puppet’ Howe.