Premier League Festive Season

Djemba-Djemba

All just a bit flat with Chelsea.

They've spent all that money on attacking players and they still look at their best with the 34 year old back up striker Giroud leading the line.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Pulisic looked meh today he was unreal at the end of last season not really got going again. Has he been struggling with injuries again?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Going to be quite a low points tally for top 4 this season, nearly halfway through for some teams and quite a few are a bit off even 30 points so much more consistancy need to get past 70 points and that will be a big ask with extreme backlog of games coming up especially for Man. City.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Now believing that your lot are a top 6 contender?
We're certainly playing top 8 football back to front. I reckon we can finish above likes of Southampton and West Ham so that should be good enough for 8th or maybe even 7th if one of Leicester or Everton go on 5-6 match winless run.

We don't have much depth so interested who we can pick up next month. I presume Chelsea will be happy moving Barkley on for 25-30m so that's one we can do.

el3mel

Going to be quite a low points tally for top 4 this season, nearly halfway through for some teams and quite a few are a bit off even 30 points so much more consistancy need to get past 70 points and that will be a big ask with extreme backlog of games coming up especially for Man. City.
And teams mostly drop more points in second half of season when the fitness inevitably drops. It'll be a slog this season. This is 2015/2016 all over again.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Needing a goal while continuing to put in crosses with Giroud off the pitch didn't make the greatest sense.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
And teams mostly drop more points in second half of season when the fitness inevitably drops. It'll be a slog this season. This is 2015/2016 all over again.
Bottom teams improving aswell. Fulham had the look of 14th or 15th place team in recent weeks and West Brom will obviously grind out more draws v Big Sam and will probably take some more points off top 10.

Generally I much prefer seasons like this where it's far more unpredictable compared to a Liverpool or Man. City shooting 95 + points and 2nd to 3rd having a gap of 20 points.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We're certainly playing top 8 football back to front. I reckon we can finish above likes of Southampton and West Ham so that should be good enough for 8th or maybe even 7th if one of Leicester or Everton go on 5-6 match winless run.

We don't have much depth so interested who we can pick up next month. I presume Chelsea will be happy moving Barkley on for 25-30m so that's one we can do.
I don't believe Wolves will finish above Villa, they look totally crap away from Molineux this season. West Ham and Southampton for now look reasonably consistent.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't believe Wolves will finish above Villa, they look totally crap away from Molineux this season. West Ham and Southampton for now look reasonably consistent.
Wolves is just in major transition. Jota, Matt Doherty and unforeseen injury to Jimenez is too much quality to lose all in one go particularly as they're asking inexperienced players to fill the void. Not sure about them playing 4 atb either.

Still good to take points off the top teams though.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The Villa game on Friday will be tough. They look a decent side right now.

lex talionis

Watching James lately I don’t think he’s even that fast to be honest, Barnes has a good turn of pace on him.
There's "fast" and there's "quickness". James is definitely not quick at all, but in all out sprint over 40 yards he looks the fastest plater in the league. But he's looking nothing more than a pace merchant now, which is a shame. Barnes, by contrast, has no problem at all turning in and working out of tight spaces. Tidy little player, he. But can he continue to put in excellent performances or will he slither back into oblivion? We shall see.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Or indeed the 3-0 trashing
We were actually pretty competitive in that for first 20 minutes until VAR happened....you then killed us on the break for second and game was done.

Certainly can't be confident playing a team we've beaten the grand total of twice in 25 years in league football. We'll give you a game but all your forwards are in pretty good form so suspect that will be the difference.

Hopefully we can lure Barkley out of the dark room he's squatting in as he'd be a good one to bring off the bench with half an hour left.

tjb

Chelsea are an eye sore, tough watch especially with the "talent" they have in that team, best player for them was Hudson-Odoi , would take him at United in a heartbeat, you can see why Bayern were after him
Yet somehow they were considered title contenders and haven't been shamed nearly as much as we have been.

croadyman

Yeah, Leicester seem to have found a knack of snatching late draws.
Still if you offered me the chance to one point ahead of Leicester, four ahead of Chelsea and within two of Liverpool with a win tomorrow night then I would have been absolutely delighted, obviously didn't expect Everton v City to be postponed so will ignore their points until that game gets played.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yet somehow they were considered title contenders and haven't been shamed nearly as much as we have been.
I actually think they'd win the league if they had a Conte type in charge. Don't think the squad they had in 16/17 was superior to this one at all but he create formula to get the best out of the key players and Lampard isn't quite doing that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We were actually pretty competitive in that for first 20 minutes until VAR happened....you then killed us on the break for second and game was done.

Certainly can't be confident playing a team we've beaten the grand total of twice in 25 years in league football. We'll give you a game but all your forwards are in pretty good form so suspect that will be the difference.

Hopefully we can lure Barkley out of the dark room he's squatting in as he'd be a good one to bring off the bench with half an hour left.
Considering you were mere moments from relegation last season, you should be over the moon with your current league position and the improvement in the team's performances to get you there.

Whether this form is sustainable for the entire campaign is up for debate though.

tjb

I actually think they'd win the league if they had a Conte type in charge. Don't think the squad they had in 16/17 was superior to this one at all but he create formula to get the best out of the key players and Lampard isn't quite doing that.
Really? Kante had Hazard and Costa in their prime with William and pedro rotating and Matic wasnt as slow as he is now. Their attack was far better than this.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Really? Kante had Hazard and Costa in their prime with William and pedro rotating and Matic wasnt as slow as he is now. Their attack was far better than this.
Yeah, Kante had much better players when he was manager at Chelsea. He just hasn't got good players around him on the pitch anymore.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Easy to say when you have a 38 game season.

The teams in europe can play up 60+ games.
Weren't you pretty much qualified in CL after 4 games? So given we went out of league cup same week barely much difference so far.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Weren't you pretty much qualified in CL after 4 games? So given we went out of league cup same week barely much difference so far.
The season didn't finish today, resting players is not just about recovery, it's also about preparation.

We've probably got 2 weeks off now as well (our next two opponents are against sides with Covid outbreaks) so there will be another glut of games coming at some point.

Anyway, our resting a load of players was not an issue today at all. The defenders didn't really do anything wrong.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Costa was deadly first half of the season but then wanted to leave mid season, couldn't and only scored 6 league goals after 31st December.

Willian didn't start the cup final and he didn't like the Conte way at all so can't remember how crucial he was that year.

Think Chelsea peak for that squad was 14/15 when Fabregas and Costa came in and they played some fantastic football up to that Spurs game.

I honestly don't see much difference between a Cahill and Silva, Alonso and Chilwell and Pedro and Pulisic. Lampard's just got to figure it all out. Time will tell.

big rons sovereign

Still if you offered me the chance to one point ahead of Leicester, four ahead of Chelsea and within two of Liverpool with a win tomorrow night then I would have been absolutely delighted, obviously didn't expect Everton v City to be postponed so will ignore their points until that game gets played.
Best season in a long time, from a lot of perspectives. I don't expect to win but being anywhere the top is incredible. The fact that 1 or 2 bad results could plummet any of the top 6 or 7 down the table just adds to the enjoyment really.

The Urban Goose

Would have been perfect result if Palace could have held on against Leicester
Can't say I'm too bothered; Leicester, Everton and Villa will all fall away towards the end of the season.

I expect top three will be us, City and The Victims. The way things are going we should be aiming for 2nd, within 10 points of The Victims.