Premier League Gameweek 1 (9th, 10th, 11th August)

padr81

Supports
Man City
Correct call, great decision and exactly why football needs VAR.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Level is not offside. His shoulder was level with the West Ham defenders shoulder.
It wasn't level, it was ever so slightly ahead. If it was level it wouldn't have been ruled.

I agree it's absurd to disallow it on such small margins, but offside is offside. There will be many more like this until the offside rule itself changes.

Guy Incognito

That’s a load of bollocks that is. It cannot be this picky otherwise nearly every goal will be cancelled. This is crazy.
They knew the rules before the season started. If decisions are as consistent and pernickety as today's then no one will complain.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
If this is the route we're going, every goal should be checked by VAR. As long as its consistent.

Canuckred64

Sterling ruled offside? That's ridiculous, if they are going to call things that close there will be tons of disallowed goals this season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Rules are rules. Blame the rules if you want. It's offside. Now need VAR to retroactively cancel City's first two, and we have a game

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Why does the premier league season start so early compared to the rest of europe? :confused:
So they can have a winter break wait three weeks between end of league and European finals

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
VAR getting the loudest cheer:lol:

HackeyC

They seriously need to introduce a margin of error for this. It was arbitrarily decided by where the VAR decided to identify the end of each layer's shoulder. Umpires call as per cricket springs to mind.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hate City but if VAR is disallowing that it's a joke. Thought it was for obvious errors.
VAR will check every goal for offsides and the like. Offsides are black and white, there's no "oh but it was close and pretty much level". Pretty much is not quite there is it? Offside, even by millimeters, is offside.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Almost for West Ham

Amarsdd

That should be a goal for City. Var shouldn't be trying to over rule things at such small margins.
yeah, but what are small margins? that then makes the decisions by VAR subjective. If VAR is to be used, then it has to make objective decisions. Thus, an offside with even a micrometer should be given as an offside

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
The offside rule really needs to be reworked, it's ridiculous currently. Pretty sure it was intended to stop goal hanging, not to check if an attacker was 2cm in front of the defender

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
For me, Jesus was offside anyway. Hate this offside rule. I know by the laws of the game he’s on, but standing two yards in front of the last defender, in the middle of the goal, ready to receive a pass when the wide player gets in front. It’s stupid imo.
What is he supposed to do then, run back to his own half? He has to be behind the ball and he was. Otherwise teams could basically defend by running away from play.

Phil

Was it even comparing the exact same part of the body on the two players? What is the part of body that needs to be measured even?

I have questions

Terminator

How is a hand a goal scoring part of the body? that too negligibly offside. Such annoying BS from VAR.:lol: