Premier League Gameweek 10

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That was a clear pen today. Aurier is a clown, was delighted to see his name on your team sheet. Last one against Leicester was debatable.
Aurier is a clown and yes it's a penalty, but Mane makes a meal out of it. Which is clearly a part of his game now, as seen in some other clips and what he did against Leicester.

Not saying we don't have players that do it. Alli used to be horrible for it but seems to have cut it out, Kane too did the odd one. Rose is one of the worst around and I fecking hate him for it. But Liverpool players consistently seem to do it during big moments and it works for you, whereas other players get told to get up. Salah last season eventually got found out and has corrected himself a bit, time for a media backlash against what Mane is doing and for referees to start handing out cards to him.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Mane is becoming a big problem, same as Salah last season. Clearly exaggerating contact deliberately and it should be punished.

For both the last penalties he's won there's clearly been contact on him, but he throws himself down unnaturally. That should be a yellow card and him told to get the feck up and stop being a fanny.
What did you think of the game as a whole? Thought you were surprisingly defensive after the first goal.

Erikssen didn’t look right on that wing either. Robertson went beyond him a fair few times.

Josh 76

What did you think of the game as a whole? Thought you were surprisingly defensive after the first goal.

Erikssen didn’t look right on that wing either. Robertson went beyond him a fair few times.
Thats what cost Spurs the game. Poch putting Erikson on Robertson was criminal.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Didn't get to see the game because of a fecking tinder date. But in the end I hear I didn't miss much.

It went really how I expected when I saw the lineup, tbh, aside from our early goal. Eriksen anywhere on the pitch right now is useless and should stop being given chances, Alli is a passenger 90% of the time too. Winks/Sissoko in midfield is bland as hell. The only thing I was happy with was Sanchez in, because toby/vertonghen would have seen us mauled.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Mane is becoming a big problem, same as Salah last season. Clearly exaggerating contact deliberately and it should be punished.

For both the last penalties he's won there's clearly been contact on him, but he throws himself down unnaturally. That should be a yellow card and him told to get the feck up and stop being a fanny.
The exact same sort of thing won you a penalty two years ago with Lamela. Van Dijk went to clear, didn't see Lamela at all but the attacker put himself between foot and ball and got the decision. It's pure gamesmanship but at least the referees are showing some consistency in calling them.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Aurier is a clown and yes it's a penalty, but Mane makes a meal out of it. Which is clearly a part of his game now, as seen in some other clips and what he did against Leicester.

Not saying we don't have players that do it. Alli used to be horrible for it but seems to have cut it out, Kane too did the odd one. Rose is one of the worst around and I fecking hate him for it. But Liverpool players consistently seem to do it during big moments and it works for you, whereas other players get told to get up. Salah last season eventually got found out and has corrected himself a bit, time for a media backlash against what Mane is doing and for referees to start handing out cards to him.
I’d rather a player made a meal out of it to ensure we got the pen/free kick. The threshold in England for a foul is higher than say the CL for example. I remember Coutinho staying on his feet after being blatantly fouled in the area against West Ham I think, we didn’t score and the pen which still should have been awarded wasn’t.

I agree with your overall sentiment and the game would be better for it but unless refs/var were prepared to reward 100% honesty I’m happy for players who have been fouled to make sure they get a pen/free kick.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I’d rather a player made a meal out of it to ensure we got the pen/free kick. The threshold in England for a foul is higher than say the CL for example. I remember Coutinho staying on his feet after being blatantly fouled in the area against West Ham I think, we didn’t score and the pen which still should have been awarded wasn’t.

I agree with your overall sentiment and the game would be better for it but unless refs/var were prepared to reward 100% honesty I’m happy for players who have been fouled to make sure they get a pen/free kick.

It's not up to the players to start exaggerating/faking shit to get a referees attention. And clearly on a number of occasions the likes of Mane/Salah are being completely OTT. If a challenge isn't enough to bring you down, stay on your feet and keep going.

Mane has a rep now, and that rep will continue to develop like Salah's last season. And then maybe referees will start to think twice when pundits/media etc start talking about him.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The exact same sort of thing won you a penalty two years ago with Lamela. Van Dijk went to clear, didn't see Lamela at all but the attacker put himself between foot and ball and got the decision. It's pure gamesmanship but at least the referees are showing some consistency in calling them.
Don't fully remember the incident but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm certainly not saying only Liverpool players get away with it, like I pointed out .. Rose is awful for that, and he outright simulates contact entirely. And it winds me the feck up.

I've always been of the view that not all contact = pen or free kick, and if the contact isn't enough to really bring you down then you try and stay on your feet. If the refs think it's properly hindered you then it's up to them to make that call. Obviously the application of that isn't fantastic, and that needs to improve, but I'm not content with players throwing themselves down in embarrassing fashion in order to try and buy a penalty.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
It's not up to the players to start exaggerating/faking shit to get a referees attention. And clearly on a number of occasions the likes of Mane/Salah are being completely OTT. If a challenge isn't enough to bring you down, stay on your feet and keep going.

Mane has a rep now, and that rep will continue to develop like Salah's last season. And then maybe referees will start to think twice when pundits/media etc start talking about him.
My point is if the refs did their job properly then players wouldn’t do those things. The biggest exaggeration today was Kane going down clutching his face on the right wing like he was punched in the face by Mike Tyson.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Didn't get to see the game because of a fecking tinder date. But in the end I hear I didn't miss much.

It went really how I expected when I saw the lineup, tbh, aside from our early goal. Eriksen anywhere on the pitch right now is useless and should stop being given chances, Alli is a passenger 90% of the time too. Winks/Sissoko in midfield is bland as hell. The only thing I was happy with was Sanchez in, because toby/vertonghen would have seen us mauled.
Hope the date went well at least.

One positive for you imo is Ndombele played well when he came on. Very composed on the ball. Overall though you seemed to decide to drop off after going 1-0 up and we picked up a lot of momentum.

Alexander-Arnold’s delivery is ridiculous. second only to De Bruyne on chances created I think?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
My point is if the refs did their job properly then players wouldn’t do those things. The biggest exaggeration today was Kane going down clutching his face on the right wing like he was punched in the face by Mike Tyson.

Yeah, this is down to the referees not doing their jobs

Shit like this doesn't help referees when they have to make these decisions.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Kane is the slimiest bastard of all in the penalty are. That's why reading these posts has me grinning from ear to ear. :D

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Hope the date went well at least.

One positive for you imo is Ndombele played well when he came on. Very composed on the ball. Overall though you seemed to decide to drop off after going 1-0 up and we picked up a lot of momentum.

Alexander-Arnold’s delivery is ridiculous. second only to De Bruyne on chances created I think?
No idea why Ndombele didn't start really. It's not like we have an embarrassment of riches in midfield. Not sure how many times a winks/sissoko duo has to fail before Poch wises up

And yeah, Trent is stupid when delivering a ball. Like having a Beckham at right back.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool

Yeah, this is down to the referees not doing their jobs

Shit like this doesn't help referees when they have to make these decisions.
That’s a clear foul, lucky he didn’t break Mane’s leg. Should have been sent off.

:lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Are people seriously claiming Mane dived after getting kicked full strength on the calf of the weight-bearing leg????

Have i seen something completely different or has this place gone full rawk???

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Are people seriously claiming Mane dived after getting kicked full strength on the calf of the weight-bearing leg????

Have i seen something completely different or has this place gone full rawk???

He doesn't dive. He exaggerates contact. Just like he did (to an even worse extent) against Leicester, just like he does all the time to try and win free kicks/pens.

It's a penalty. But if I was a ref I'd look twice just because it's Mane.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Crazy the difference one win can make. There is a bit of a gap between you and fourth. You need to pick up some serious momentum.
It’s not really crazy as we’re only in October. No idea why people obsess with the table at this stage. Don’t take shape until after Christmas.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
United have played 5 of the six teams ahead of them in the table, record is 2-2-1, and both draws could have easily been wins but for a couple defensive brainfarts and the defeat was the result of a refereeing atrocity

Basically, you guys are fine. Not a great team maybe, but not the abomination you claim it to be

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He doesn't dive. He exaggerates contact. Just like he did (to an even worse extent) against Leicester, just like he does all the time to try and win free kicks/pens.

It's a penalty. But if I was a ref I'd look twice just because it's Mane.
Would have to see it again but from the replay i've seen he doesn't exaggerate anything. He's putting his weight on the leg that gets kicked full strength from behind

Imran Mamdani

The problem is time and time again the refs are NOT doing their job properly. Call them out and you’re banished. There’s literally no accountability on their part. This needs to change.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Hearing more and more that Eriksen's performance was an abomination.

Who will actually want him in the summer? He's a free so clubs definitely will, but will the true elite clubs still want a player who has shown no form at all for 18 months? I used to think so, but week after week he barely resembles a footballer.

No idea why Poch keeps the faith. Had more than enough chances.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
United have played 5 of the six teams ahead of them in the table, record is 2-2-1, and both draws could have easily been wins but for a couple defensive brainfarts and the defeat was the result of a refereeing atrocity

Basically, you guys are fine. Not a great team maybe, but not the abomination you claim it to be
That sort of talk wins you contract extensions. Be careful what you wish for. :nervous:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I was not :lol:

I was actually pretty stunned by it, reminded me of the Eboue incident. Can't see how Xhaka starts again after this
Robbie on your TV channel was sticking up for him against DT. His reaction was not great at all, but nobody wants to hear their own fans booing and jeering.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hearing more and more that Eriksen's performance was an abomination.

Who will actually want him in the summer? He's a free so clubs definitely will, but will the true elite clubs still want a player who has shown no form at all for 18 months? I used to think so, but week after week he barely resembles a footballer.

No idea why Poch keeps the faith. Had more than enough chances.
Eriksen has not been great at all this season. His head is definitely elsewhere.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Robbie on your TV channel was sticking up for him against DT. His reaction was not great at all, but nobody wants to hear their own fans booing and jeering.
Yeah, especially when the frustration is with Emery mainly. Xhaka was just the unfortunate target of it.

None of this is getting any better with Emery remaining

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I remember thinking when the fixtures were first published that City had a much easier start to the season than us & would probably build up quite a healthy lead before their 'tougher' games kicked in. Incredible to think that we're the ones who are making the early running. The team still needs to go up a gear or two though if we're to sustain the good start we've had. Another game today where we've had to dig deep to get the win. Could do with a few 3 or 4 nil wins so my fingernails can start growing again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Xhaka is their captain though. He simply can't act like that

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
If we are above Spurs, does that mean they're going to get relegated and Poch should be sacked?
I said last week if you're in a relegation scrap, we are too. 100%.

And right now, sure, why not? We could easily lose at Goodison next week. And then we're right in that dogfight, or the pile above it. Under Pochettino anybody in this league can beat us, Watford were minutes away and they're bottom, Brighton made us look laughable for god sake.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
No matter how bad things get at United, Arsenal always seem to find a way to make me feel better! The fans are a very fickle bunch though.