Premier League Gameweek 12

Shimo

Detest Michael Oliver. Others may be incompetent but, Oliver is a combination of incompetent and spineless. In the end I don't want either Liverpool or City to win but, in a game like this, to not get the calls right is down right pathetic, especially with VAR.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wonder if G Nev still thinks we'll win the title before Liverpool will.
And no it didn't look any less stupid a comment a few weeks back.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
That’s how you act when things don’t go your way.
It was a controversial game, but the ‘lucky’ and ‘thief’ claims are beyond ridiculous at this point.
Thieves and lucky. :D

TheReligion

Abusive
Ok. But Liverpool are obviously in better nick right now - would you not expect a home win either way? City’s defence were awful.
No not really. I thought the game was very tight and the scoreline flattered you. I also think you got the rub of the green with VAR and Aguero fluffing his lines. You always concede and look vulnerable. If the pen is given and they score could have been 3-1 the other way.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
There is nothing we can do when the system brought in to govern the games is just being used to benefit one team over another. We should have had a penalty at 0-0 and instead we're 1-0 down within seconds. Football is just dying here.

Bulldog United

Wonder if G Nev still thinks we'll win the title before Liverpool will.
And no it didn't look any less stupid a comment a few weeks back.
Liverpool were 7 points ahead back in December last year. This year they've got the World Club Cup to contend with, which will create new pressures for them. It's far from over yet, and defensively they look a lot more wobbly this year.

That said, it's probably not a comment I would have been making. :D We have to remember Sky are now encouraging their pundits to say all kinds of crazy stuff so they can clip it for social media and web.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
No not really. I thought the game was very tight and the scoreline flattered you. I also think you got the rub of the green with VAR and Aguero fluffing his lines. You always concede and look vulnerable. If the pen is given and they score could have been 3-1 the other way.
Liverpool controlled the game between 50 to 75 minutes with sterile possession; playing well within themselves. Had City at arm’s length. They scored with ease and I expect would’ve scored more if needed.

CognitiveNeuro

Damn Pep looked like an absolute lunatic today.....does anyone else think he's def on something?

But what a game that was

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Shouldn’t be forgotten that City’s fixtures have been kinder on paper.

TheReligion

Abusive
Liverpool controlled the game between 50 to 75 minutes with sterile possession; playing well within themselves. Had City at arm’s length. They scored with ease and I expect would’ve scored more if needed.
So you had 25 minutes of control then. In a game of 90. I think City created plenty of opportunities and even hit the post. Could have had two penalties on another day. They are also struggling without their first choice keeper and centre half.

I don't have sympathy for them, I hate the club as much as I hate yours, but Anfield was very quiet after their goal and City were in charge for large parts.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
So you had 25 minutes of control then. In a game of 90. I think City created plenty of opportunities and even hit the post. Could have had two penalties on another day. They are also struggling without their first choice keeper and centre half.

I don't have sympathy for them, I hate the club as much as I hate yours, but Anfield was very quiet after their goal and City were in charge for large parts.
Ok

Bulldog United

Yep Chelsea next, so their defence will be tested again. Liverpool play first too next round of fixtures, so if they win that puts extra pressure on Man City. Then City play us, which should be a good game. Defensively we're looking OK and we'd have to fancy our chances of scoring against them atm.

If City were able to come through those next four games with maximum points, that would be a statement. It's what champions do.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
A few points.

At Old Trafford a few weeks ago Liverpool could have a foul and then Rashford runs down the other end of the pitch and scores.
Mane then has a goal disallowed because the ball comes off his arm.
At Villa Park last week Firmino scored a goal that was disallowed because his armpit was offside!

VAR isn't fixed towards Liverpool!

At first glance I thought the penalty against TAA would be given, but the fact that it comes of Silvas hand first is no different to the Mane Handball at Old Trafford.

Salah is onside! He is played onside by Stones toe! I can't believe anybody is seriously disputing this?

TheReligion

Abusive
A few points.

At Old Trafford a few weeks ago Liverpool could have a foul and then Rashford runs down the other end of the pitch and scores.
At Villa Park last week Firmino scored a goal that was disallowed because his armpit was offside!

At first glance I thought the penalty against TAA would be given, but the fact that it comes of Silvas hand first is no different to the Mane Handball at Old Trafford.

Salah is onside! He is played onside by Stones toe! I can't believe anybody is seriously disputing this?
Mate you sound pathetic. :lol:

Just admit you're getting the rub of the green with it. The whole sky panel including fecking Souness think it was a penalty for handball today.

Another day Sterling gets a pen for being pushed in the back by Mane.

You won today and fair play but you were lucky with the decisions.

a123

Supports
Liverpool
Why are people ignoring the fact that the ball hits Silva's arm before it hit Trent's arm? It ricocheted off Silva's arm into Trents arm. No pen.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A few points.

I don't think think anyone is seriously suggesting that VAR is pro Liverpool... Anyone that is can look at that ridiculous Firminho non goal last week.

In this game though, whatever way you shake it, the first goal shouldn't stand. Whether that be cos of a penalty or a free kick too you is up for debate... But yeah, there was a definite error there.

The thing with the Salah goal is just that why was the check so fast? We've seen how long tight calls take to review... Even non tight calls take longer to check then that Salah goal did.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Liverpool were 7 points ahead back in December last year. This year they've got the World Club Cup to contend with, which will create new pressures for them. It's far from over yet, and defensively they look a lot more wobbly this year.

That said, it's probably not a comment I would have been making. :D We have to remember Sky are now encouraging their pundits to say all kinds of crazy stuff so they can clip it for social media and web.
They're 9 points clear, have only dropped points once, while City have lost 3 games already and have triple the injury issues.

The world club cup is a red herring and sheer wishful thinking. It won't make next to any difference to anything.

I'm worried they might actually go unbeaten. They're obviously a quality team, but they're getting some exceptionally lucky breaks again.
Unless Mane/Salah get injured at the same time it'll be comfortable, and that's horrible to say in November!

Raw

God damn.

At least now the scouse fecks have basically won it, I finally won't have to feel so conflicted about taking points off City when we play them :lol:

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
In this game though, whatever way you shake it, the first goal shouldn't stand. Whether that be cos of a penalty or a free kick too you is up for debate... But yeah, there was a definite error there.

The thing with the Salah goal is just that why was the check so fast? We've seen how long tight calls take to review... Even non tight calls take longer to check then that Salah goal did.
I agree. VAR has been exposed again today because if the first Liverpool goal gets disallowed because Liverpool should have had a free kick, Liverpool would be up in arms. Yeah I was very surprised at how quick the check was completed?

Bulldog United

Are you saying VAR should have gone back and awarded Liverpool a free kick? I don't think the ref saw the City handball, and he didn't think there was enough to give a penalty either. So once that happens, VAR is never going to go back and give Liverpool a free kick at the other end instead of the goal they just scored. Nor do I think any of us really want them to be doing that either.

TheReligion

Abusive
Are you saying VAR should have gone back and awarded Liverpool a free kick? I don't think the ref saw the City handball, and he didn't think there was enough to give a penalty either. So once that happens, VAR is never going to go back and give Liverpool a free kick at the other end instead of the goal they just scored. Nor do I think any of us really want them to be doing that either.
You can't just ignore the handball by TAA in that case can you?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You and others might think that sounds baffling, but it's the way it should have worked.

It was a definite penalty, but then go back a few seconds and apparently a City handball, so then it becomes a free kick.

You can't just ignore both of those incidents as if somehow balancing out.

dev1l

I agree. VAR has been exposed again today because if the first Liverpool goal gets disallowed because Liverpool should have had a free kick, Liverpool would be up in arms. Yeah I was very surprised at how quick the check was completed?
Very very quick...

Bulldog United

You and others might think that sounds baffling, but it's the way it should have worked.

It was a definite penalty, but then go back a few seconds and apparently a City handball, so then it becomes a free kick.

You can't just ignore both of those incidents as if somehow balancing out.
It's not how VAR should work.

The absolute scenes yesterday in the Premier League thread when Sheff Uniteds goal was chalked off because he was maybe a toe nail offside. There is no way we want VAR officials to be combing through video checking to see if the team that just scored might have been awarded a free kick in the buildup. That would be feckin' insane, and the way they are implementing VAR already in the PL is insane enough.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Mate you sound pathetic. :lol:

Just admit you're getting the rub of the green with it. The whole sky panel including fecking Souness think it was a penalty for handball today.

Another day Sterling gets a pen for being pushed in the back by Mane.

You won today and fair play but you were lucky with the decisions.
Last year people kept saying Liverpool were lucky that VAR wasn't in play and it would cancel all the lucky decisions they got last season.

All today does it expose the problems with VAR. If VAR is being used based on referees opinions then it isn't going to work in Football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

The absolute scenes yesterday in the Premier League thread when Sheff Uniteds goal was chalked off because he was maybe a toe nail offside. There is no way we want VAR officials to be combing through video checking to see if the team that just scored might have been awarded a free kick in the buildup. That would be feckin' insane, and the way they are implementing VAR already in the PL is insane enough.
You seem to be ignoring that it very obviously should have been a penalty for City.

And another rule is that you can't handle it in the lead up to a goal
So you either ignore the latter bit, or you rule the goal out as it should have been a pen, then take out the pen decision for the handball.

You can't just think the two balance out.

But then they didn't do that, they thought it wasn't an "Unnatural" position for the AA handball. Which is just plain wrong.

Bulldog United

They're 9 points clear, have only dropped points once, while City have lost 3 games already and have triple the injury issues.

The world club cup is a red herring and sheer wishful thinking. It won't make next to any difference to anything.

I'm worried they might actually go unbeaten. They're obviously a quality team, but they're getting some exceptionally lucky breaks again.
Unless Mane/Salah get injured at the same time it'll be comfortable, and that's horrible to say in November!
I'm still going to cling to the fixture congestion in December potentially hampering them. But yeah, I know I'm probably clutching at straws a bit here.

I haven't looked at the schedule around the World Club Cup either. Will it potentially mean City get to play a game or two more before Liverpool and close the gap with games extra played?

I'm looking for any reason at all not to give up on them blowing it. :D

Bulldog United

You seem to be ignoring that it very obviously should have been a penalty for City.

And another rule is that you can't handle it in the lead up to a goal
So you either ignore the latter bit, or you rule the goal out as it should have been a pen, then take out the pen decision for the handball.

You can't just think the two balance out.

But then they didn't do that, they thought it wasn't an "Unnatural" position for the AA handball. Which is just plain wrong.
VAR is a complete mess when it comes to hand balls. I don't get how a defender can get away with handling the ball accidentally, but the moment the ball brushes an attackers hand they ALWAYS get penalised. The interpretations need to be equalised to be fair, just decide how you adjudicate and apply the same test to both defender and attacker.

It wasn't very obviously a penalty. The deflection off the City players hand was what got them out of trouble, as confirmed by that ex-ref on Twitter who actually explored these issues a few days ago ironically. Liverpool defender got very very lucky though with his arm out there, because if it hadn't touched an attacking players hand first it was a penalty all day long.

Once the penalty isn't given, the fact Liverpool should have got a free kick to stop the move only applies if the referee whistles. VAR is not going to go back and give Liverpool a free kick after they scored. Whether you think it should or not, and I urge you to think about the madness of this idea, the rules say VAR only disallow goals when the team that conceded were infringed against in the build up.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
There is nothing we can do when the system brought in to govern the games is just being used to benefit one team over another. We should have had a penalty at 0-0 and instead we're 1-0 down within seconds. Football is just dying here.
But then isn’t the issue the referee’s decision and not VAR. VAR isn’t going to give a handball and overrule the referee in that scenario so your issue should be with Oliver’s decision not to give it.

There’s no favouritism with it either. We had a perfectly good goal disallowed against Villa. It’s screwing everyone over one way or another.

I feel like the VAR rules are changing every week in terms of how and when it’s implemented. It should be scrapped until they find a more efficient way of implementing it.

Bulldog United

You can't just ignore the handball by TAA in that case can you?
It wasn't a handball by TAA because the moment the ball brushes the attackers hand, that's the first infringement because the rules are crazy biased in favour of defenders. The referee could have called for the Liverpool free kick absolutely, but the moment he allows the game to go on (for whatever reason - whether he saw it, or played an advantage) VAR is not going to go back and give Liverpool a free kick after they scored.

We can certainly say Liverpool were lucky that Oliver didn't blow up and give them the free kick before they had a chance to score. And Liverpool were all shades of lucky today both with the officiating and all the chances City wasted, as well as them missing Ederson too who would have saved two of those goals.

Josep Dowling

You watched a very different game to me. City controlled the game with possession. Liverpool, as they have done a lot this season, are deadly when they get a chance. But I wouldn’t say Liverpool dominated.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
But then isn’t the issue the referee’s decision and not VAR. VAR isn’t going to give a handball and overrule the referee in that scenario so your issue should be with Oliver’s decision not to give it.
What? VAR is literally there to correct mistakes. Oliver, for no reason at all, decided to not give a blatant handball in the box so VAR should have given it. Why else even have it?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I saw a match a while back which was something like 3-2 at halftime. In the tv studio, the first words the presenter said were "Now, let's take a look at that controversial penalty-claim..."

Says it all.

Josep Dowling

Where is the consistency though? How can you spend 4 minutes for one offside decision on Saturday then the very next day take less than 10 seconds to review a right decision and not show a replay on how they made that decision?